Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Why the "cool-down" period between posts?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  08:01:12  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I noticed today when I was posting that when you are in the "reply to topic" screen, posts will sometimes be visible that do not appear in the actual page for a few more minutes (10 or 15?). This is the only forum that frequently visit so I'm not sure if this is also the case on others but it seems to be a bit inconvenient and slows down the thread (for better or worse). So I guess what I'm saying is: why is this so and can it be fixed? I understand this is a very minor thing and should be way down on the list but it's those little things that always seem to stand out to me.

"A true warrior needs no sword" - Thors (Vinland Saga)

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  11:52:00  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The cool-down imposes a bottleneck on server traffic; it basically prevents automated DoS attacks and spambots from stealing Candlekeep away from actual users. 10 minutes seems excessive; it's probably closer to 10 seconds.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  13:08:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arik has the right of it. The measure exists as a preventative feature which protects against malicious attacks and such.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  14:42:28  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now who would want to maliciously attack Candlekeep?

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  20:36:29  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
That's a curious and interesting question. Candlekeep is described as heavily secured and fortified ... why? Is there constant threat of attack? Has the keep withstood assault and siege before? Have the monks been pressed into defense of the keep with their lives? Endured war? Employed mercenaries and armies? Is there any history of the castle/place before it became Candlekeep?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  20:44:41  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Anyone that knows about the Calishite Dancing Girls.

Or space pirates hunting the rare Giang Space Hamster that live inside these walls.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  05:56:12  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought there might have been some sort of reasonable explanation but I'm not sure what "DoS attacks" and "spambots" are so forgive me for not knowing.
quote:
Originally posted by Arik
10 minutes seems excessive; it's probably closer to 10 seconds.

There's no doubt I'm exaggerating but I'm sure it was more than a minute.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  08:49:45  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Denial of Service attacks are programs which coordinate multiple computers to simultaneously and continuously demand access to a server. The server has limits on how much it can do and how many clients it can service at once; if it's bombarded with an endless stream of garbage requests it's basically paralyzed and normal users are effectively locked out.

Spambots are programs which attempt to automate distribution of spam (unwanted junkmail, advertising, and other garbage). Some types are known to comb internet forums (such as Candlekeep), where they register bogus accounts to post endless spam messages and hopefully harvest any email addresses volunteered by users.

The "cool-down" period is intended to prevent any single network connection (computer) from making excessive demands on the webserver; it arbitrarily allows everybody to get a fair turn and slows any damage/pollution that attacking programs might cause. It's a fair trade off for any minor inconvenience suffered by real users, since most people don't need to submit multiple posts every 10 seconds.

You might have experienced minor problems through some sort of internet hiccup; what you see as Candlekeep seems to actually be distributed across several different servers, there are times when traffic between them cannot coordinate properly. (Factors largely beyond Candlekeep's control; seemingly dependent upon their ISP and hosting provider.)

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  09:22:17  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik
since most people don't need to submit multiple posts every 10 seconds.
Lol. Don't know if you're one to talk though, you must have the highest post-per-day count in Candlekeep. Thanks for for clearing this up though and I guess, should it keep Candlekeep safe, it is an insignificant and very small price to pay.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  09:48:27  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uh, I'm assassinating my way through the ranks. At 2000 posts I'll be a Great Reader and have access to all of the naughty scrolls Sage keeps in the back room.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  10:11:25  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you seriously get access to special scrolls or is this just on of those things people say?

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  10:15:10  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure it's NDA. Nudge nudge wink wink.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  10:28:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You'll just have to find out.

Go to Top of Page

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  10:43:57  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very enticing Sage. Consider it a challenge taken up.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2011 :  06:46:32  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of denial of service...I was having a hell of a time trying to get in here today!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2011 :  07:35:49  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Light

Do you seriously get access to special scrolls or is this just on of those things people say?

Yes.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2011 :  10:19:27  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of difficulties getting onto the site, I keep getting the Active Server Pages error:

Script timed out

/topic.asp

The maximum amount of time for a script to execute was exceeded. You can change this limit by specifying a new value for the property Server.ScriptTimeout or by changing the value in the IIS administration tools.

Go to Top of Page

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2011 :  10:26:59  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of difficulties getting onto the site, I keep getting the Active Server Pages error:

Script timed out

/topic.asp

The maximum amount of time for a script to execute was exceeded. You can change this limit by specifying a new value for the property Server.ScriptTimeout or by changing the value in the IIS administration tools.

Go to Top of Page

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2011 :  11:19:48  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then my last hope has failed

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2011 :  22:59:57  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No month had passed that I didn't encounter that error. It's a plague that not even an Epic level SageSpell could purge.

Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2011 :  23:04:44  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Or space pirates hunting the rare Giang Space Hamster that live inside these walls.

No need to hunt very hard, he'll be in his hamster wheel going round & round & round & round ..........

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2011 :  00:33:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

No month had passed that I didn't encounter that error. It's a plague that not even an Epic level SageSpell could purge.

A SageSpell? Hmmm. Do you have rules for that... because I'm curious?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2011 :  03:45:06  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

A SageSpell? Hmmm. Do you have rules for that... because I'm curious?

Eh? I'm getting this question from you, of all people? I thought you knew. Has the Spellplague affected you so much that you can no longer cast your most powerful magical arsenal?

Edited by - Dennis on 04 Mar 2011 03:46:53
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2011 :  04:42:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Eh? I'm getting this question from you, of all people? I thought you knew.
What'd you expect? It's on my "To-Do" list.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2011 :  05:00:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Oh, of course. The ever-expanding "To-Do" list. I forgot.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000