Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Reasons for Changing Your Avatar
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  11:13:26  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I participated in a discussion with a topic somewhat similar to this in a certain forum...One mentioned that he changed his avatar because he suddenly realized that the hair of his original avatar looked like a nest. (That he had not noticed upon first seeing it---something so ultra-obvious, is such a big wonder.)

How about you? What usually makes you want to change your avatar? Or, as the case may be, what makes you want not to change it at all?

Every beginning has an end.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  13:56:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. I'm not sure how to respond.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  14:01:50  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

You changed your avatar---again.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  14:06:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

Sage has used 90% of all the avatars on this site, at least three times each. I've come to the conclusion that Sage doesn't know what he looks like, and keeps changing avatars as some sort of bizarre guessing game.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  14:27:09  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am still waiting on my Doctor Doom Avatar...

Remember the link I put in that one scroll, Sage?

Sage Time(tm)

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 23 Jan 2011 14:32:06
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  15:00:23  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I never saw a reason to change mine, *wink*

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  15:01:36  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

Sage has used 90% of all the avatars on this site, at least three times each. I've come to the conclusion that Sage doesn't know what he looks like, and keeps changing avatars as some sort of bizarre guessing game.

Should we be worried? Could he be of the blood of Malaug?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  15:16:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

That's right. When I look in the mirror, all I see is a blur where my face should be.
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

I am still waiting on my Doctor Doom Avatar...

Remember the link I put in that one scroll, Sage?

Sage Time(tm)

I did send that one off to Alaundo, when he was handling new avatars for other scribes. It may be that he just simply hasn't uploaded it yet. I'll check up on that.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  15:49:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a more serious note... I've changed my own avatar exactly once. The avatar I have now is the same one I used on the WotC forums, before my mysterious banishment from there. When I got active over here, Big Al was reluctant to let me use the same one, so I went with the avatar of Danilo from the original Elfshadow cover art. Big Al later relented, and now I've got my preferred avatar.

My main reason for choosing this avatar is simply how goofy it is. My username comes from an obscure reference in a goofy concept, and the avatar is goofy enough to match the username.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  16:10:23  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My main reason for choosing this avatar is simply how goofy it is. My username comes from an obscure reference in a goofy concept, and the avatar is goofy enough to match the username.

Indeed.

What is that creature, btw? Koala? Bear? Anonymous species from an anonymous galaxy?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  16:13:56  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The reason I changed my avatar is pretty much simple: the first time I saw that Sorcerer Supreme image, I liked it instantly. Also, the my old avatar looks far older than I.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  16:27:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Indeed.

What is that creature, btw? Koala? Bear? Anonymous species from an anonymous galaxy?

No idea. The avatar was called "Beebles" -- I don't know if that's because there is more than one beeble (whatever they are!) in the pic, or if the main one is named Beebles, or something else. So... Anonymous species from an anonymous galaxy works for me!

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  16:39:59  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just as I suspected.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2011 :  00:46:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Indeed.

No idea. The avatar was called "Beebles" -- I don't know if that's because there is more than one beeble (whatever they are!) in the pic, or if the main one is named Beebles, or something else. So... Anonymous species from an anonymous galaxy works for me!

I'm going from memory, but I think the image in Wooly's avatar picture comes from a card in the Magic: The Gathering game. I just can't recall which one at the moment.

Edited by - The Sage on 24 Jan 2011 00:48:23
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2011 :  03:59:26  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And yours, Sage, is a Nazi? The stare alone could kill .

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2011 :  04:04:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, it's a PC image from the "Character Creation" section of the first Neverwinter Nights game.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2011 :  13:57:21  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOW! For some reason, I thought Wooly's avatar was a Pokemon lol. Shows my lack of knowledge regarding Pokemon and Magic: The Gathering.

My avatar I chose because it is a Netherese Arcanist from the Prestige Class, and Netherese are bad mama jamas.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2011 :  16:00:59  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My first guess of his avatar was a koala. I thought it might be a tarsier, but I noticed the eyes aren't as big.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2011 :  16:05:04  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually, it's a PC image from the "Character Creation" section of the first Neverwinter Nights game.

I thought it was a Romulan

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2011 :  23:31:09  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It also somehow resembles how I picture the Tsurani Dog Soldiers. Though the uniform should have been flashy.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2011 :  00:38:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

My avatar I chose because it is a Netherese Arcanist from the Prestige Class, and Netherese are bad mama jamas.

I'm a long-time Netheril fan. And most probably I'll change mine again to someone Netherese. Speaking of which, is there an image of Larloch when he was still human?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2011 :  00:48:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

I thought it was a Romulan

Mayhap I'm the Sage disguised as a Romulan... attempting an impersonation of Picard's Romulan disguise from the old "Unification" episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2011 :  12:02:21  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Speaking of which, is there an image of Larloch when he was still human?

Are you saying he wasn't born a Lich??

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2011 :  21:47:25  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha Ha! Thanks Sage, Big Al!!

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2011 :  22:14:10  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, lookee what my hunting trip hath flushed out ... Bubbling Beebles, a collectable game card ironically manufactured by WotC (and available for less than $1). There are also Bursting Beebles, Bouncing Beebles, and perhaps other varieties. They apparently attend an annual beeble roast (when it isn't canceled) and are considered quite succulent, but they otherwise look very much like nasty little pests and pranksters. Present company excepted, of course.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2011 :  22:35:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Well, lookee what my hunting trip hath flushed out ... Bubbling Beebles, a collectable game card ironically manufactured by WotC (and available for less than $1). There are also Bursting Beebles, Bouncing Beebles, and perhaps other varieties. They apparently attend an annual beeble roast (when it isn't canceled) and are considered quite succulent, but they otherwise look very much like nasty little pests and pranksters. Present company excepted, of course.

I'll be dipped... I did a bit of research on my own (mainly, just looking at the links, instead of the pics! ), and found out much more about beebles.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  00:04:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'll be dipped... I did a bit of research on my own (mainly, just looking at the links, instead of the pics! ), and found out much more about beebles.

Nice to see that my memory hasn't been too affected by the odd occurrences of SageTime.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  01:47:08  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice to identify wooly as a bubbling beeble. I think I'd stat the species out as some sort of planar fey/imp sort of thing, perhaps a hybrid of the same with a gnome (half-beeble? a gneeble?) ... beebles are apparently tiny, about the size of a large melon, though some can be grasped with chopsticks (though these might be unusually large chopsticks). Wooly, it appears, is among the larger full-grown ones of his kind. The name is quite likely derived from Zaphod Beeblebrox.

Will anyone here offer monster or PC stats for beebles?

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 06 Feb 2011 01:51:02
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  04:00:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, but that's just my appearance. We already have (at least in 2E) baseline stats that can be use to extrapolate the stats of the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  04:10:59  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All hail Gargantia!

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2011 :  07:46:31  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

All hail Gargantia!

I don't like how it sounds. It's like the name of a bloated frog with sagging fats for a beard. Maybe I encountered that word [and creature] before.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000