Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 All Wizard Online Game Anyone?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  00:05:49  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
I have seen the value of a slower paced game; especially in my current game with Kuje.

What made this stick out to me was my over-zealous attempt at a game set in Phlan a while back that I messed up...and realized that I needed to follow the "KISS" rule of keeping it simple.

So...bottom line is this:

I'm considering running a Play by Post game in the Forgotten Realms, but the party can only consist of EVIL WIZARDS!

I'm only stuck on where it would be played, and what group the party would belong to.

I'll be starting each character at 5th level, alignment must be evil, and each character will belong to the same organization. This poll is to determine what organization that will be.

Anyone can vote, anyone at all; but if you are ALSO interested in playing in the game, I will only be taking FIVE players total; so send me a Private Message here at Candlekeep if you want to actually play.

THIS WILL NOT BE THE FIRST FIVE PEOPLE TO SAY "I WANT TO PLAY"; but will be the first five people to both vote in the poll AND make out a solid character history for the Wizardly Faction they voted for!

So even if you decided you want to play, and got your character idea to me first...you might not play if the five people who decided to play in the same faction were able to both vote and get me their character idea for the winning faction! If fewer than five people get to me about a particular faction and it still wins the Poll, THOSE folks will be playin in the game...and a higher number from a losing poll will NOT be playing in the game.

Essentially, this game is cut-throat from the beginning! Chaos = good stuff sometimes.

Also, I don't mean just a character name and where he is from; I want details on how he came to be a 5th level wizard, how he joined the organization you are voting for, and what his ambitions are!

To repeat:

1- vote
2- write a history of gaining 5th level (what did he/she do?)
3- tell me when the character joined the organization (recently? or when they were 1st level? When and how did it happen)
4- tell me what the characters motivations and ambitions are
5- PM me with the information from 2, 3, & 4 above telling me you want to play in a cutthroat evil wizard game!

The rules will be 3.x edition (not Pathfinder) and the game will be set circa 1350-1375 DR (haven't decided exact year yet). The last option (Write In) may not include Underdark factions; this game will be on the surface of the Forgotten Realms.

EDIT:
Hammer 9, 1355 DR is the start date.

If it is a Red Wizard game, it will be set in Eltabbar.

If it is a Zhentarim game, it will be set in Zhentil Keep.

If it is a Cult of the Dragon game, it will be in a cell within Sembia (haven't decided which yet).

If it is an Arcane Brotherhood game, it will be in Luskan.

8 FEB EDIT: send characters to dalor_darden@yahoo.com

9 FEB EDIT:
Books: all published 3.x Realms Material and materials that are 3.x published by Wizards of the Coast...no other materials for character creation; though I'm willing to entertain future options from other materials.

Stats: Point Buy...all stats start at 6 and you buy with 42 points to increase them (1 for 1 purchase) to maximum of 18, then adjusted by racial modifiers.

Hit Points will be 75% of your maximum hit points, round fractions up.

Regional Feats from the Realms are a BONUS feat for all characters. In addition, I am allowing the FLAWS system, to a maximum of 2 Flaws for Two more Feats. I also allow up to TWO traits as well.

Starting Funds will be 10,000 Gold for Each. If you have item creation feats you must still pay full price for any items you have in your possession. Every last copper of this should be spent, you will have NO MONEY to start with. I have starting funds for each character set aside...

All characters get a FREE magical Item, branded with their organizations symbol upon it: your choice of either a +2 Dagger or a +2 Staff. These items are also KEYED to any and all Portals that your organization has created...I'll get to that later, as each item will only function for that character as a magical item...

NOBODY will know anyone else at the beginning. Feel free to be from any background origin you choose...

And without further delay, the factions are:

Results:
Arcane Brotherhood of Luskan   [13%] 1 votes
Red Wizards of Thay   [25%] 2 votes
Zhentarim of Zhentil Keep   [38%] 3 votes
Write In (Canon groups only)   [25%] 2 votes

Poll Status: Locked  »»   Total Votes: 8 counted  »»   Last Vote: 10 Feb 2011 11:28:07 

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 20 Feb 2011 04:52:21

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  00:17:19  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Crap, I did vote for Arcane but it didn't count my vote because I viewed the results before voting, which screws up the voting system. :(

I might be interested though, just have to see how things work out with how much time I have to dedicate to the game.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  00:27:44  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mods...is there a way to reset Kuje?

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  00:32:44  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dalor, I have a couple of questions. What era will your game be set in? What rule set (if any) will you be using? And where will the game be hosted?

Cheers,

Christopher
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  00:49:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Mods...is there a way to reset Kuje?

I don't think so, unfortunately. I will look into it though.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  00:52:58  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

Dalor, I have a couple of questions. What era will your game be set in? What rule set (if any) will you be using? And where will the game be hosted?

Cheers,

Christopher

1350-1375 DR will be the timeframe...I haven't decided the starting year honestly.

The rules are 3.x edition.

I will be hosting the game at Obsidian Portal.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  00:55:12  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My nonvote goes to the Cult of the Dragon. An organization full of evil bastards, many of them wizards, with a loose and flexible decentralized structure. A great way for the party to meet dragons.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  01:08:04  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

My nonvote goes to the Cult of the Dragon. An organization full of evil bastards, many of them wizards, with a loose and flexible decentralized structure. A great way for the party to meet dragons.

OOOO! I like that one better. :) Cult works for me!

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  02:01:47  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Place votes guys! LOL

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  04:45:39  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arik votes for no man. By never voting I waive my right to complain about any disapproval or issue I have with the democratic outcome. Fewer conversational options equates to more brooding silence and more "me time" dedicated to grinding my axe, qualities which go a long way toward cultivating a properly serious barbarian image among my peers.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  12:14:19  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I won't be able to play, but if I were, I would be interested with going with my vote for Zhentarim and try to claw my way to the upper echelons of the organization.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  14:10:16  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alas, I can't play either because of a lack of books (all I have is 4E and Pathfinder--well, and Call of Cthulhu, but hopefully that's not applicable!). But I'm intrigued by the Cult of the Dragon idea for sure and would vote for them.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  14:27:51  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

Alas, I can't play either because of a lack of books (all I have is 4E and Pathfinder--well, and Call of Cthulhu, but hopefully that's not applicable!). But I'm intrigued by the Cult of the Dragon idea for sure and would vote for them.

The only reason I excluded Pathfinder was that some of it is different from published Realms information...stat/ability wise.

You can still use the core book for a 3.x game...as long as you understand there are slight differences.

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  16:01:09  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. Could be an interesting change of pace. I don't normally play evil characters, but a number of my "heroes" are rather morally grey, so pushing it all the way could be fun. I vote for the Cult of the Dragon.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2011 :  01:27:26  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As of now:

Cult of the Dragon with three write in votes!

Tied with the Zhentarim!

Who else?

Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2011 :  02:50:12  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a bit extended to be joining another game, especially as I'm already running a wizard in another game. It's a lot more note keeping than I remember, now I realize why I play sorcerers more often.

I would love to lurk to see how things progress. No need to count my vote, but I always had a soft spot for the Black Network. Their goals are wonderfully human. That said, the Cult of the Dragon has lots of untapped potential.

Funny to note, official WotC material on top of all the regular dragon-related stuff has no less than three hardcovers devoted to dragons-based and dragon-inspired character options (Draconomicon, Races of the Dragon, Dragon *frelling* Magic). I'm surprised the Cult wasn't featured more prominently in 3e Realms material.

Maybe I can someday make a cameo as an expendable evil minion.

Edited by - Dark Wizard on 05 Feb 2011 02:51:22
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  07:00:16  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feared I would suck at making up something cool for online play! LOL

Not one person has sent me a character...guess this might just blow over as a no go...

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  14:33:53  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been debating it, but the problem is "Cult wizard" is a really, really broad target. Then add the fact that I don't know where game would be set, which makes creating a backstory really hard. And finally there's the giant possible timespan; I could have someone who's moved away after chasing and nearly being killed by Shandril Shessair, or one who's working on converting dragons in Sammaster's Rage. And then if I make some choices on these options, the choices made by the other "Cult wizards" are almost certainly going to be different on most of these points.

I'm interested in the game idea, and willing to join, but I need to know the game will actually happen, and then we need to better nail down where and when and what before I can actually start putting ideas down.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  15:08:28  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Candlekeep may not be the best place to find such players. Perhaps Tales of Moonsea (NWN2) or the ALFA 06 Moonsea forums. There's always people on RPGA who are looking for PbP games, I hear.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  16:51:27  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I think this is a fine place. We've already got enough people for the game he wants, if the Cult people and the Zhent people can agree to a side. And you can't argue that we don't know the setting...

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  17:20:25  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Easy to fix. The party all belong to one evil group. But some of them might be spies/agents of some other evil group. Ideally, both (or all) of the evil groups are trying to infiltrate each other and none of the players really knows who works for who, who to trust, which side is the better bet, or when some normal self-serving opportunity might in fact be some kind of test of loyalty. Evil campaigns are twice as fun when the players will as readily attack their own party as their opponents and are only held in check by mistrust, paranoia, fear, uncertainty, or necessity. Backstab, poison, lies, sabotage, theft, defamation and slander can all be a lot of fun ...

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 06 Feb 2011 17:30:02
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  18:35:05  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK...I need to hammer out a date:

Hammer 9, 1355 DR is the start date.

If it is a Red Wizard game, it will be set in Eltabbar.

If it is a Zhentarim game, it will be set in Zhentil Keep.

If it is a Cult of the Dragon game, it will be in a cell within Sembia (haven't decided which yet).

If it is an Arcane Brotherhood game, it will be in Luskan.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  04:42:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 9th of Hammer is my birthday!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  05:37:33  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Mine too.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  12:22:20  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Mine too.

The 10th of Mirtul here.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  16:32:30  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's January 9, right? Less than a week off of my birthday.

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  18:58:45  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, so I'm thinking of putting together an entry for this tonight, a Cult wizard. Should be an interesting character building experiment, if nothing else. Has anyone else submitted?

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  21:10:50  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still pondering my char. Really interested in adventuring in Sembia, that looks fun.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  23:12:11  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One person has submitted a character for the Zhentarim...but no others.

I won't mention who they are...because I am thinking that it could be a cool concept if each player anonymously played their character. That would give each person freedom to do whatever they wanted without others judging them for it.

Would allow for more treachery!

EDIT: as of right now, I will say I discourage players talking about their character. You can if you want...but it may work to your advantage not to.

2nd EDIT: send characters to dalor_darden@yahoo.com

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 09 Feb 2011 00:19:42
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  03:36:36  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love treachery! Treachery and deception! Treachery, deception, and intimidation! It's kinda my thing, y'know.

Alas, I've got other gaming commitments, and my treachery dayplanner is all filled up. I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder, and Guilder to frame for it. I'm swamped.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  04:57:59  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, at least you have excellent taste. And your health, I hope. Because if you haven't got your health, you haven't got anything.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000