Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Appropriate Level for this updated 4E Holy Book
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2011 :  12:25:35  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
There are two characters in my home campaign I run who are a Paladin and an Avenger of Kelemvor respectively. Anyhoo, I've decided I would have them try to find the Testament of Vraer, a holy book of Kelemvor from the book Prayers from the Faithful. My game is 4E rules, so I've decided to update it in the following manner (since the original gives access to spells, a few new spells from that 2E book, and a clairvoyance power - I made some switches of these to something similar or something entirely different that would be useful for the party and appropriate for the item I would hope).

quote:
The Testament of Vraer (Holy book of Kelemvor)
Level ??
Wondrous Item ?,???? gp
All powers only useable by a worshipper of Kelemvor. Any attempt to use the Testament of Vraer by a non-worshipper of Kelemvor results in the target receiving 3d8 points of radiant damage.
Power : The Testament allows the user to make use of both the Gentle Repose and the Raise Dead rituals as if he had the Ritual Caster feat. The individual also does not require to have the key skill of Heal to perform these rituals. However, the appropriate time needed to perform the rituals, as well as the appropriate component costs, are still required.
Power (Daily) : Minor Action. Gain resist 10 necrotic until the start of your next turn.
Power (Daily • Conjuration, Divine, Implement, Radiant) : Standard Action. As the cleric’s Guardian of Faith power.
Power (Daily • Divine, Implement, Radiant) : Standard Action. As the cleric’s Turn Undead power.
Power (Daily • Conjuration, Divine, Implement) : Standard Action. You summon a Death Dragon, which is a dragon-shaped assemblage of skulls, bones, haïr, teeth and other body remnants to fight for you. It has the following statistics : Speed 6, Standard melee 1, targets one creature, wisdom vs reflex. 2d6+wisdom modifier damage (shares the summoners defenses and has its bloodied value as hp as per the summoning rules in Arcane Power)

So what I would like to know is if anyone recommends any slight alterations to this, and what would be the appropriate level of this item? Thanks!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2011 :  14:38:07  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats a lot of powers for a wondrous item. I'd nake it an artifact if at least high paragon tier, possibly low epic. Somewhere between lvl 17-22.
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2011 :  15:16:05  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Thats a lot of powers for a wondrous item. I'd nake it an artifact if at least high paragon tier, possibly low epic. Somewhere between lvl 17-22.

+1

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2011 :  15:28:36  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmmm, what if I were to limit the use of daily powers either to:
- 1 daily use of one of the daily powers (so when one is used, no other is useable)
- 2 uses available from the list, can't be the same twice

Could this then make it mid/low paragon perhaps?

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2011 :  15:41:31  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That'd help, making it an either/or instead of all. I could see the power that gives you the rituals a consistant property. And make it a daily choice of one of those 4 powers. Still keep it an artifact though. With those restrictions, I'd put it at level 14-18.

You could have it so it grants additional uses as the PC gains levels, say 2 uses per day (but not the same power twice) @ level 18-20, and 3 uses by level 27-30.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2011 :  18:05:59  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That'd help, making it an either/or instead of all. I could see the power that gives you the rituals a consistant property. And make it a daily choice of one of those 4 powers. Still keep it an artifact though. With those restrictions, I'd put it at level 14-18.

You could have it so it grants additional uses as the PC gains levels, say 2 uses per day (but not the same power twice) @ level 18-20, and 3 uses by level 27-30.

Thankd Diffan. I like it!

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  14:45:33  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about if I drop the last daily power (Death Dragon), make the item an Artifact, those daily use powers being limited to one in the Heroic Tier, use of two separate in Paragon tier, and all three in the epic tier?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000