Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 PEACH: Weapon for my campaign
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Crossed Arrows
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2011 :  07:18:48  Show Profile  Visit Crossed Arrows's Homepage Send Crossed Arrows a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Please PEACH. I am going to introduce this weapon as an important part of the campaign scenario. It is a Wakizashi as I needed a light slashing weapon, and I like the Katana family. Looking for feedback on the weapons back story (kind of long, sorry) as well as the weapon qualities at the end. Thanks.

Widow’s Wrath commonly referred to as simply wrath, an adamantine Wakizashi was forged around -223DR in the nation of Wa. Its original name has long been lost to history. What has not been lost is its past of sorrow and loss.

Wrath was forged for Okada Iz#333;, as part of a daisho, or pairing of a Katana and Wakizashi commonly carried by the warrior class. The daisho was forged by Sengo Muramasa, one of the two most renown sword smiths in eastern realms. The two greatest sword smiths of the eastern realms, perhaps all of Faerun were Muramasa of Wa and Masamune Okazaki of Kurakowa. Masamune was renounce for blades that were of such unparallel superior beauty and quality that even his most mundane works have yet to see an equal arise from the forges of dwarves, elves or man. While Muramasa made masterwork blades of exceptional form, his blades were known for their edge and results in combat. While this may have been a compliment to any other sword smith, Muramasa’s blade developed a reputation of viciousness that drove the wielder to acts of violence against the warrior’s code.

Over fifty years Widow’s wrath passed from father to son. Its reputation gained notoriety through the vast amount of invading Shou warriors whose lives were ended on its razor edge, while its infamy rose due to the strange and occasionally deadly accidents that seemed to occur when the blade was unsheathed in training. At one point following a freak accident when Okada lord emperor Meiji’s oldest son lost a hand, Meiji fear of the blade led him to decree that Wrath was not to be worn in his presence.

By the year -90 DR, the Okada family had long fallen to Shou Lung invaders and the blade had found its way to the eastern borders of the Shou empire. The last remaining Okada’s Okada Kyu and his eighteen year old son Rin were clinging to their Samurai heritage by swearing fealty to a noble Shou merchant family. The Shou merchant sought to open new trade routes to the west, ironically along the same path that would become the golden way some one thousand years later. The merchant caravan was ambushed just miles before they would have passed into what is now Rashamen. Most of the caravan was wiped out, including the Shou Merchant lord that the Okada’s had sworn loyalty to. Feeling that his family was cursed along with his blade, and with the weight of the years of Okada death and failure, the disgraced Kyu committed ritual Seppuku with Wrath. Rin felt the weight of his family’s history as painfully as his father. He longed for the release of death to ease the pain of dishonor. Yet he took up his father’s daisho and continued west, vowing to spend his life in a worth cause. He would face the worst beasts and evil the western realms could muster to regain his honor, or die in the attempts.

Since the year of the Wildwine in -152 DR, Rashamen had been plagued with an infestation of demons, and Rin had thrown himself to the cause of freeing the nation from their yolk. A Balor demon that the people of Rashamen called “Ironskin”, for the demon’s hide was practically impenetrable to weapons, traveled from village to village claiming the lives of the eldest and youngest villager in some macabre ritual. His rounds took him across the nation and back to each village every ninety-nine days. At first the people of the (then) village Taporan on the eastern banks of the river Tir held their ground against the vile beast. Yet against their best efforts, every ninety nine days, the Balor stood over the dead bodies of not only the eldest and youngest of Taporan, but any who stood in his way.

By the year of the Tempered Blades (-80 DR) ten years had passed since Rin had taken up his father Daisho and embraced the warrior ways of Rashamen. He combined his eastern discipline and the Rashamen fury to become a warrior of unique passion and skill and had proven it in many battles that brought him close to death. Yet he found only victory, not the honor he so desperately sought, or the death that would have sufficed. On a unseasonably warm day for the month of Ches, Rin walked into Taporan one day after Ironskin had taken the eldest and youngest for the twentieth time and instantly recognized the grip of fear the town was held under. He vowed that day to end the reign of terror Ironskin had caused.

He had not been in the village a half a Tenday when he met Arica, and the two fell deeply in love. Arica was unlike the hearty folk that persevered through the fiend infested land of Rashamen. Born premature, the towns clerics did not think the newborn would live the night. Though the tiny baby proved them wrong, she would live with the after effect for the rest of her days. So much of her first twenty five years were spent confined to her parents home, bedridden and sick, that some of the small village had never met her. Short walks through the village found her breathless and faint, often helped home by those who took pity on the girl so unlike the Rashamen norm. No suitor called upon her despite her fine features as it was believed that she would not carry a child to term or last the childbirth.

None of these things mattered to Rin. Within two tendays of his arrival, the two were deeply in love. At first, his presence seemed to give the girl strength and vitality she had never known. She would accompany him as he walked the grounds surrounding Taporan, formulating his plan for when Ironskin returned. It was not long before her mind proved as keen as Rin’s blades. She pointed out many places his plan of action against the beast would lead to his downfall, and offered better alternatives. The proud warrior accepted her critiques, considering his soul mate as an equal, something not common from his eastern past. Arica offered him council on how each member of the townsfolk she knew could aid the warriors plan each according to their own skills and strengths. Soon they had a battle plan that complimented Rin’s blades.

As the days counted down to the arrival of the Balor, Arica’s worry began to take a toll on her health. She found herself sick many days, and the loss of her by his side took a toll on Rin’s confidence. His resolve began to falter. The two talked of running away, or letting the fiend stalk the town for his prey. After all, Arica would not be claimed by the Balor if his simply let the fiend collect his victims. Rin found that he no longer craved the validation of his honor, and feared death he would lose the years of happiness with Arica.

Yet in the end, the honor that drove his Samurai ancestors rose in his heart as well. Against her wishes, he steadied his nerves and will. He made two decisions; first he would die before the Balor took another life from the village he had begun to love. Second he would face the balor as Arica’s husband. The night before Ironskin arrived, he and Arica exchanged vows.

When Ironskin arrived on leather wings, Rin stood with blades drawn before the great beast. The towns people stood behind him, each with their own role. But Arica would not watch her one and only love face his death as so many had before.

The battle was long and terrible, lasting through the day and into the night. Rin’s blades struck the impenetrable skin time and time again, while the towns people fired arrows and spells, setting traps and healing their own whenever Rin’s maneuver gave they breadth to do so.

Although it was fought over fifteen hundred years ago, Rin’s skill and bravery in battle are still spoken through Rashamen as legend to this day. Rin had managed to take one of the balors hands in the fight, and wound him several more times, but the shallow wounds had closed as fast as he had struck them. Yet despite Rin’s legendary efforts, the battle ended as is had a score of times before, with the balor’s massive form standing over his vanquished foe’s broken body while the town’s people could not even mourn their fallen hero as they cowered in fear. Ironskin stood over his adversary, calling the villagers to send their next best warrior, or their youngest and eldest to be devoured.

Instead the only person that moved was Arica’s small form as she passed through the cowering people. She carried the demon’s massive list hand in her arms. While the townsfolk parted silently along their path, the demon taunts echoed through the village. As she neared her fallen love, she saw Rin’s blades along her path. She retrieved them, laying the heavier katana back on the ground in favor of the lighter wakizashi which suited her slender and weak arms. She ran the blade along the claws, honing them to an impossible sharpness in seconds.

Upon seeing Arica approach the Balor’s taunts turned to laughter. His maniacal cackle did nothing to break her resolve. As she neared she saw the fallen body of the only man she had or would ever love, and vowed to bury her husband. The balor readied his fiery whip to cut down the weak, pathetic woman. Without breaking her slow, methodical stride, she flung her wakizashi at the twelve foot tall beast. With all the power of her loss and hate behind the throw, the impossibly sharp blade cut through the skin, flesh and bones thought impervious to all but god forged weapons. The demons head fell to the ground and his form landed with thunder that seemed to last for an eternity. As she held the broken body of her love, she realized the thunder was the townsfolk cheers and applause.

The villagers buried the fallen hero the next morning. Arica claimed the Wakizaski for herself, left everything else she owned save for a few minor things Rin had given her, and walked out of the village, never to return. She walked the land continuing Rin’s quest to die in combat, killing demons, beasts and man wherever she found them without mercy. The hate in her heart never subsided, fueling her vengeance for some forty years until the slow decay of old age and the claws of a green dragon brought saw her quest fulfilled. While she traveled the land, her legend grew, as did that of her blade. All who’s path she crossed recognized the dark metal of Widow’s Wrath, as it had become to be called.

It is said that when she died, some of her hate entered the blade, so that any who carried it wound feel what drove her to the end of her days. Countless being, both good and evil have fallen to Wrath and the many wielder of the wicked blade in the fifteen hundred years since Arica’s death. Many who wielded the blade have died on its edge themselves, as Wrath does not discriminate between its master and victims. Over one and a half millennia later, Widow’s Wrath still retains its impossibly sharp edge, and bloodthirsty nature.

Anyone holding Wrath feels the slightest twinge of bloodthirsty joy, though it subsides as fast as it arose. Yet in combat, anyone wielding Wrath cannot help but feel compelled to give in to the blades wicked bloodthirsty nature.

WIDOW’S WRATH

+3 Adamantine Keen Vorpal Wakizashi

1d6+3 slashing. Ignores material hardness.

When drawn against an opponent, Wrath is a +3 weapon. The wilder also gains +2 bonus to morale against fear effects as long as the blade is held in the hand.

If the blade confirms a critical hit, it strikes normally as any critical would. But the next time the blade hits it deals additional 1d4 damage to the opponent and the critical modifier is increased to X3. A second confirmed critical brings the blade to and additional 2d4 the blade gains the vorpal ability.

If the creature is killed by Wrath, the increased critical, vorpal property (if processed at the time) and additional damage properties remain for 24 hours. If the blade is used in combat again against a new creature within 24 hours the vorpal and additional damage properties activate without the need to score a critical hit. In addition, the wielder receives a +1 bonus to all charisma based checks because of the influence on the blade on his morale.

These effects transfer to anyone wielding the blade. If the blade is not used after 24 hours, it returns to a +3 blade.

Wrath does not lend itself well to mercy: If in combat the wielder fails to kill his opponent (even if another in the party strikes the killing blow) the blade loses one level of benefits if it processes them. If it is simply a +3 blade, it drops to +2. The wilder suffers a -1 penalty to Charisma and Charisma based checks due to the influence of the blade on the wielder’s temperament. The penalty lasts until the blade successfully hits an opponent in combat (critical hit is not required).

If the wielder intentionally lets his opponent live, the bonus drops to +1 and the charisma penalty increases to -2. This penalty lasts for 24 hours before reverting to +2.

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2011 :  20:01:15  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love the lore, and the properties don't look broken since it requires two confirmed crit hits to become vorporal. Even with a 17-20 crit. threat I don't think it'll happen ALL that much in combat.

Though, I think a sword with this sort of backstory and abilities would be better served as Legacy Weapon. A weapon that lends it's power to those more worthy. Characters with levels 1-5 wouldn't be "worthy" of gaining all these properties but a warrior with say, 12-15 definitly would.

As is, the sword seems pretty interesting and I think it'd work fine. But I like how Legacy Weapons work, so I think those rules would work well for a sword of this power.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2011 :  10:13:09  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sniff...
wonderful story, and the abilities match it. And legacy weapon would be a good idea!

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Crossed Arrows
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2011 :  16:45:37  Show Profile  Visit Crossed Arrows's Homepage Send Crossed Arrows a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll check out the legacy weapon details.

I was thinking of a will based save to resist in-battle "rage" type modifiers. Not bonuses to STR and CON as a barbarian's rage would be, and they wouldn't be high saves (5+some type of variable I'd determine), but I want to stress the subtle way that Wrath pushes the wielder to end the life of anyone it faces without remorse.

Any thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2011 :  17:14:44  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crossed Arrows

I'll check out the legacy weapon details.

I was thinking of a will based save to resist in-battle "rage" type modifiers. Not bonuses to STR and CON as a barbarian's rage would be, and they wouldn't be high saves (5+some type of variable I'd determine), but I want to stress the subtle way that Wrath pushes the wielder to end the life of anyone it faces without remorse.

Any thoughts?

The main problem I have with Will saves in v3.5 is that once a PC reaches a certain level, the chances of him being taken by the Rage of the Sword lessens to not very often. May I suggest a %d roll, increasing the % the sword takes over by 5 per successful hit and double when it criticals? You could start the base at...20-25% and each successful attack increases the sword to urge the wielder further, increasing the blood-lust. After reach round, the wielder will have to make the %d roll to see if he's overcome with it. Successful misses de-grade the %d roll by 5, possible doubled on a roll of natural 1.

So....
For example, Katsura is wielding Widow's Wrath and is attacking Gnolls. His BAB doesn't allow multiple attacks, so his 1st attack is a hit, dealing damage. At the end of his turn, he has to make a 20% chance to not succumb to the rage (then add +5%). On his next turn, he makes a successful Critial hit (added the bonuses in from the sword) and at the end of his turn, must make a 35% chance not to succumb (25% from last round +10% for the critical). He rolls 88% so he's still good. Third round he misses's the attack, rolling a 3 and then makes a 30% chance. Etc...

Now, this may seem like a lot of rolling and you may want a more simpler approach. In that case I'd also suggest something like during the first round of combat, he makes a d% roll (base 25%). Every time he criticals, he makes another d% roll, increasing the % by 5. This %d grows over the course of the day, and only resets during a full night's rest. So as the wielder gains power, makes multiple attacks, the %d would grow pretty strong over the course of a few battles. You'd also include penalties to the Rage %, like -5% or -10% on a critical miss or when the PC is reduced to 10 HP or fewer?

Hope that helps some.
Go to Top of Page

Crossed Arrows
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2011 :  02:50:22  Show Profile  Visit Crossed Arrows's Homepage Send Crossed Arrows a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I wouldn't have the sword make someone rage. Just the requirement to make the will save to remind the wielder that the blade was bloodthirsty. Failing when a natural 1 is rolled would be the only way some would succumb. but that is OK. Failing would require the wielder to kill their opponent or take some morale, wisdom or charisma based penalty.

Not sure, still working through it.

Thanks for the feedback.

I am developing a 2nd blade that is a flaming burst blade but the flame cycles through the colors of the spectrum and the flame damage is provides is dependent randomly on the color of the fire at that time.
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2011 :  14:40:21  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting weapon and lore...
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2011 :  14:44:18  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I meant is bloodlust, not rage as in the Barbarian rage or the spell. Anyways, I think that mechanic is more useful in keeping the feel of what the sword does instead of a saving throw.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000