Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Interesting familiar for Neutral Good Wizard
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2011 :  17:42:26  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi All,

I'm designing a mid-level mage from Chessenta who has a special familiar of some kind. A pseudodragon, faerie dragon or maybe even a talking owl have crossed my mind as possible candidates, can anyone suggest any other interesting familiars. Beasties native to the Old Empires or with an Ancient Greek 'feel' to them would be especially appropriate.

Thanks!

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2011 :  19:04:13  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mephits are an interesting choice as are Tressyms (cats w/ wings). Im AFB right now, but another fun choice are beholder-kin familiars (Magic of Faerun).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2011 :  19:07:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Use a critter I came up with: a falcat. It's basically a griffon that's only the size of a housecat.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2011 :  21:02:58  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly, methinks you may have read too many Xanth novels- there was such a critter in one of them, called (in typical Piers Anthony humor) a "kittyhawk"!!! Unfortunately, the one in the book quite literally chased itself to death! (Something to do with its instinct to hunt birds leading it to pounce on its own wings or something to that effect....)

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2011 :  23:08:30  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Instead of a classic familiar, have a homonculous.

Just use standard familiar rules, and go with the old backstory for creating a homonculous if your DM will allow it. It could be roughly man-shaped, or a hybrid animal-thing, whatever you'd like. There's nothing quite like a "familiar" that you've made from blood and magic. Not really a demon, not really a real living thing.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Edited by - Therise on 02 Jan 2011 23:12:17
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2011 :  23:28:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Wooly, methinks you may have read too many Xanth novels- there was such a critter in one of them, called (in typical Piers Anthony humor) a "kittyhawk"!!! Unfortunately, the one in the book quite literally chased itself to death! (Something to do with its instinct to hunt birds leading it to pounce on its own wings or something to that effect....)

Actually, I've only read a handful of Xanth novels, and prolly none for like 20 years... I just really like griffons, and came up with the idea of miniature ones for one of my Hooks*. I had them created thru the spell Duhlark's Animerge, so they are grounded in existing canon lore.

*Originally seen in Volume 6 of the Compendium; I've since written another Hook for them where I gave them a proper name, instead of "griffling".

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  00:30:07  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah. Well, the critter in question is from one of the very early Xanth books- the one with a very young Princess Ivy, I believe. I just remembered it being one of the three challenges to enter Humphrey's castle, and that it was an amusing scene. I didn't know you'd written a hook for them in the CKC!! (Incidentally, I once ran a D&D campaign set in Xanth, where the players were all from Earth and were accidentally transported there- and each of them had somehow gained a magic talent when they arrived. It was quite entertaining, and crazy!)

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  01:09:33  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's always the boring old pseudodragon or faeriedragon options for Good-aligned pet owners. What would you call an antiquasit anyways?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

braunusvald
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  06:03:39  Show Profile  Visit braunusvald's Homepage Send braunusvald a Private Message  Reply with Quote
these are 2E from a dragon issue ( I don't remember which)

Special Use Familiars:
1) Telperan – Lawful/good, Seven Heavens, Arcadia.
In its normal form, a telperai appears to be a winged human about 2 ¼ feet tall with golden brown to golden pink skin and gold hair, their eyes are glowing amber. The color of their wings is white as snow and formed like a hawk. Other forms that it may take are; a small human or demi-human child, a large hawk, a mouse, or a dog.
Other powers that a telperai have are magic missile once a day, and 50% resistance to fear based spells.
2) Glissan – Neutral/good, Twin Paradise, Elysium, Happy hunting grounds
In its native form glissi are 2-¼ foot tall fey like humans with opalescent skin and wide pale blue eyes. Their pale silvery hair forms a halo – like crown on their head. Their wings are silver and shaped like swallow’s wings. The other shapes that it can take are a human or demi-human child, a songbird, a seagull, or a miniature unicorn (2’ at the shoulder, complete with horn).
Other powers that glissi have are, Sleep spell once a day. And 50% resistance to illusion spells.
3) Batir – Chaotic/good, Olympus, Gladsheim.
In their normal state they are 2-foot tall broad and muscular humans, with a flat-featured face and tufted pointed ears. A short, glittering fiery red fur covers their whole body. They have broad powerful wings and a thick mane that matches their fur. They are usually smiling and have bright brown or green eyes. Their shapeshifting is similar to their kin, a human or demi-human child, a cat, an otter, or a miniature winged lion.
Other powers that baltiri have are the ability to cause a subject to suffer the effects of gross intoxication, with all the penalties that ensue. And 50% resistance to all forms of control magic (command, hypnotism, or suggestion).
There are other alignments offered in this article the stats would need to be converted to 3.5

Could a Kercpa swing a Rod of lordly Might? All hail the mighty rodent!
Go to Top of Page

braunusvald
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  06:19:01  Show Profile  Visit braunusvald's Homepage Send braunusvald a Private Message  Reply with Quote
further info on special use - article by Stephen Inniss
Freq: very rare
No. appearing: 1
Armor class - 2
% in lair - nil
magic resistance: 25%
Size: small

Telperan
MOVE: 12"/30"//15" (MCB)
HIT DICE: 2+3
# OF ATTACKS: 2
DAMAGE/ATTACK: by weapon
IQ: VERY
ALIGN.: lawful good
SIZE: 2 1/4' TALL

GLISSAN
MOVE: 15"/24"//18" (MC:A)
HIT DICE:2+1
DAMAGE/ATTACKS: by weapon type
IQ: VERY
ALIGN.: neutral good
SIZE: 2 1/4' TALL

BALTIR
MOVE: 9"/27"//21" (MCB)
HIT DICE: 2+2
DAMAGE/ATTACKS: by weapon
IQ: HIGH
ALIGN.: chaotic good
SIZE: 2' tall

Go to Top of Page

braunusvald
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  06:22:58  Show Profile  Visit braunusvald's Homepage Send braunusvald a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Again these are 2E stats and need converstion, they shoukd be use VERY infrequently, and be offered/assigned by a Power for a greater purpose. They are companions the spellcasters that a god expects great thing of.

Go to Top of Page

braunusvald
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  06:35:54  Show Profile  Visit braunusvald's Homepage Send braunusvald a Private Message  Reply with Quote
rest of the article for non - good familiars
The Lomendur – minions of the middle planes.
Common powers; Dark vision 60ft.
Detect good/evil at will.
Speak with Animals at will.
Immunities; acids, alkalis, normal fire, natural poison, or stoning.
Half of no damage from magical fire or dragon fire.
Natural animals and plants can only harm them if outside control is used to provoke an attack, or if they attack the animal first (voiding their protection). Only stone or magical weapons can harm them.
Damage reduction 5

1) Tabur – Lawful/neutral, Nirvana.
At a glance tabi look like small, white marble statues. Perfect symmetrical features and an idealized aspect of their master’s race lend an aspect that they are no more than a construct. Their calm unhurried movements add to their illusion, but they can be nimble and quick at need. Tabi hair is pure white, and their eyes are pools of silver, they can use their features, in a meditative state to hide all signs of life.
Other powers – Each Tabur can choose three of these four forms: large hawk, badger, dog, or a hare.
- Only magic or white flint weapons can harm a Tabur.
- Tabur can learn any monk feat or skill (most have a full set).
- Cast hold person once a day
- Cast feigns death once a day 2-hour duration.

2) Orrek – Neutral, Concordant Opposition.
An Orrekin’s general form has the look of a human, but squat and over muscled, with rounded shoulders and long arms. Its hands are large and tipped with iron hard, retractable claws. Their skin is covered in soft short fur of gray, black, or brown. Orrekin’s eyes are black glittering orbs, matching the rodent like look of their heads, necks and broad teeth. Lively manner and pleasant earthly way of speech soon soothe any one put off by their unusual appearance.
Other powers – Each Orrekin can choose three of these four forms: Salmon, large owl, fox, or squirrel.
- Burrow at umber hulk speed
- Gaseous form once a day.
- Cast once a day, trip, summon insects, and produce flame.
- Only magic or greenstone weapons can harm an Orrek.

3) Quark – Chaotic/neutral, Limbo.
Quarks look like tiny fey-like humans, with silvery skin and tangled, fuzzy hair that resembles a wind seed. Their wings are shaped like a butterfly’s’, save that the color and patterns slowly morph and change without any warning. Despite their weird appearance they have grace and charm.
Other powers – Limited shape-change, once a round; any natural animal or plant, any natural substance equal to their weight and mass, these are limited to small or smaller sizes. The material changes are unworked or unrefined.
- Cause confusion 2 round duration normal saves, range touch one target.
- Only magic weapons or obsidian can harm them.

The Burzugdur – servants of the lower planes
Common powers; Dark vision 60ft.
Detect evil at will.
Immune to fire.
Magical weapons or unique ores to harm.
Damage reduction 5

1) Imps – Lawful/evil, Hells.
2) Quasit – Chaotic/evil, Abyss.
3) Nalg – Neutral/evil, Gehenna, Hades, Tarterus.
In its usual state, the nalg is a small hairy creature with clawed hands, frog-like legs, and two-toed webbed feet. It has a long fox-like muzzle filled with razor sharp teeth. Dirty pink skin surrounds its baleful yellow eyes. Elsewhere, its pink mottled hide is partially covered with sparse, coarse hair of a dull black or dirty white color. Unless it has just gorged itself, it has a ragged skeletal look.
Other forms that a nalg may take, any two of the following; a stirge, horsefly, poisonous snake, or weasel.
Other powers – poison, in snake or native form.
- Blood drain 1-3 points, in native form (up to 12 points.)
- cast minor image once a day
- Poison causes blindness for 2-12 rounds.
- Can only be harmed by magic weapons or nickel.

Natural Familiars: Expanded list of magical beasts or fey creatures.

List by alignment:
LG/LN – Brownie,
LE/NE – Durocib, these creatures resemble small tail-less monkeys, round-headed with a stocky build. Covered in a dense gray fur mottled in dark gray and black bands. They are known for their evil looking large reddish brown eyes that glow red in the dark. They are nocturnal arboreal creatures native to temperate – subtropical forests and while small, they are feared for their power and they cunning malevolence.
Powers – Gaze attack, temporarily insanity on a failed will save, a second save must be made or a charm person effect takes place. Duration for the first effect is 2-8 hours; the second effect remains as long as the beast stays within 10 feet. After the effects wear off, the victim is immune to both for 24 hours.
- Skills; hide +11, climb +8, spot +12,
- Feats; alertness, weapon finesse – bite.
- Blood drain bite 1-4 damage +1-4 per round
Neutral – Haudhla, these tiny fey appear as 16 to 18” tall humans with sharp features and somewhat homely cast to their face. Their skin color ranges from brown to dark brown. The hair is always silvery blue. They typically wear clothes of green, brown, or gray hues. They speak Sylvan, Elvan, and common. In nature these are the protectors of the quiet and dark places of the woods.
Powers – Speak with plants at will.
- Detect snares and pits. Once a day
- Fog cloud. Once a day.
- Purify water. Once a day.
- Entangle. Once a day.
- Ghost sounds. Once a day.
- Cats’ grace and feather fall constant and linked
CE/CN – Veeru, related distantly to pseudodragons, are small dragons that are residents of the swamp. In shape they are like gold dragons down to the whiskers and frills, and their color is gold with a strong hint of green. But their eyes are liquid green orbs.
Powers – Poison, confused as per spell for 4d6 hours (bite)
- Cast Otto’s irresistible dance once a day.
- Mimic sounds, skill +15 (words, bird songs, animal noises).
- Transparency 80% of invisibility but visual effect similar to predator.
- Empathy as communication.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  06:49:10  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol, those are all basically just cute/fluffy Disney versions of fiends. I'd rather have a rat than any one of those.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

braunusvald
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  01:01:57  Show Profile  Visit braunusvald's Homepage Send braunusvald a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hehe true at its basic level, "I" didn't write this article just offer to Malariamoon as a reference. I hope they see fit to look up the original mag. and modify as needed to use. (which I have done in a homebrew)

Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  14:45:09  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, thanks everyone for a lot of great suggestions. I’ve shied away from tressyms as they seem more representative of Cormyr and the Dalelands than southern Realms. Mephits seem a little too imp like for my sensibilities, and as for beholderkin, well he ain’t a Zhent! Likewise, the characters backstory doesn’t really suggest a homunculus; he’s spent a lot of his life as an itinerant, adventuring mage and hasn’t had the time to create a homunculus. The falcat seems an interesting critter; incidentally Scott Bernie’s unofficial web expansion to Old Empires includes a creature called the sphinxlet, which as you can guess is a miniature sphinx which can be used as a familiar. I enjoyed Braunusvald's comprehensive list (Disney can be badass when it wants to be!), and I was sorely tempted by the batir – a familiar that can make your enemies drunk to the nines! Still, despite all the wonderful suggestions I have decided to invent a new creature to be this wizard’s familiar.
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  14:47:31  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And here it is!

The familiar is called a theriope. It is a magical bird, closely resembling a thrush or a nightingale but with a longer tail. Its plumage is attractive; a mottled patchwork of ivory and sable feathers, and they can be surprisingly difficult to stop in the broken light of a woodland canopy. However, what really makes the theriope stand out is its enchanted song. Whereas the males of other songbirds sing to find a mate, both male and female theriopes sing; apparently simply for the joy of making music. One interesting side effect of this song is its distracting nature – it’s so powerful it can break the concentration of a wizard attempting to cast a spell. Furthermore, theriopes are incredibly gifted mimics, and can perfectly impersonate the call of any creature they hear; even the roar of a dragon or a fragment of a siren’s song. Although this ability cannot reproduce any magical abilities carried by the sound, it can certainly fool a listener into thinking there is a (for example) a banshee wailing in yonder copse. Theriopes have an intelligence of sorts and can be trained to utter certain noises on command, although they don’t appear to have any language beyond their song or the capacity to communicate even simple ideas.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  17:19:17  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, very interesting! Any chance of u posting the stat block? Definitly like to incorporate these into my Realms games.
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2011 :  18:13:52  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Diffan. Unfortunately I don't use D&D rules anymore, I've only got a hazy recollection of 2nd edition and a vague understanding of how 3rd edition works, so I haven't got any stats for the theriope, just a concept in my head.

I'd love to hear out it fluttering its way into your game, feel free to stat away! It's a small songbird, so I can't imagine it having more than 1 hit point or being capable of causing any damage (it feeds on small insects, nectar and honey - its not got a razor sharp beak!). You could represent the distracting effect of its singing with an enforced concentration check or spell failure check (I'm not sure how the rules account for this). I imagine certain spellcasters would be immune as ruled by the DMs, maybe liches and more alien magic users would not recognise any beauty in its song. As for the mimicry, perhaps the creature being fooled by the bird's song could make a wisdom check to realise something was amiss, with appropriate modifiers (e.g. a ranger would be more able to realise a natural sound was being impersonated, whereas a bard could do the same with an impersonated human voice etc.)

Maybe this helps!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000