Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 More reading order questions
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2010 :  21:49:23  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have a couple new reading order questions for anyone wishing to help. I am just about finished with the first book in the Last Mythal trilogy. I keep seeing references to a war in Evermeet a few years prior to the novel. Am I correct in assuming these events are in the book Evermeet? I have it but I have not read it yet so I'm curious. While I'm asking, are there any other books that I should read (or should have read) before this trilogy? The only other noteable events I see that keep getting referrenced is the return of Shade but I have read the trilogy detailing that event.

My other question is about Whisper of Venom. I have already read the Haunted Lands trilogy and The Captive Flame so I know the major players already. I am wondering if I should try to read the Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy before Whisper of Venom? I get the impression from the Amazon review that the events in YoRD have some impact. If that is the case, are there any books I should look into before reading YoRD? Does Queen of the Depths or the Black Bouquet have any impact on any of Richard's later books? I know some authors like using the same characters and themes and Richard's current trilogy (and next trilogy) are follow ups to his last trilogy so I assume it's very possible that his earlier works have some tie ins as well.

I also have a side question that is somewhat related. I know there is a site with a listing of all of the novels and their chronological order, but is there someplace (here or elsewhere) where the novels are broken down by characters (major and/or minor) or locations (or both)?

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2010 :  14:53:49  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant
My other question is about Whisper of Venom. I have already read the Haunted Lands trilogy and The Captive Flame so I know the major players already. I am wondering if I should try to read the Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy before Whisper of Venom? I get the impression from the Amazon review that the events in YoRD have some impact. If that is the case, are there any books I should look into before reading YoRD? Does Queen of the Depths or the Black Bouquet have any impact on any of Richard's later books? I know some authors like using the same characters and themes and Richard's current trilogy (and next trilogy) are follow ups to his last trilogy so I assume it's very possible that his earlier works have some tie ins as well.

Tyrant, regarding your question if The Black Bouquet has any tie ins with later books of Richard: no, none. Very very good book though and worth the read!

YotRD from my point of view has no deeper tie ins to other Byers novels apart from the the dragon Brimstone. I have not stumbled about any novels that make it recommendable to read YotRD before. In terms of lore however it is certainly an interesting trilogy.

You may assume that very very few characters from Richardīs 3e characters still live in 4e (such as Brimstone for example).

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2010 :  18:51:54  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the information. I assumed given the time jump that the only characters that would show up would have to be some of the dragons. I just didn't know if there were some previous plots that continued on.

I've got about 20 or so FR books sitting around that I have picked up here and there that I am reading my way through. I've been reading most of the newer series as they come out so I'm trying to find the older books that tie into them to read them first. I'll have to keep an eye out for Black Bouquet. Any thoughts on Queen of the Depths?

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2010 :  19:17:28  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'll have to keep an eye out for Black Bouquet. Any thoughts on Queen of the Depths?

Haven't read QotD yet, sorry.

The Black Bouquet is actually one of my favorite novels, because it is from my point of view by far the best novel from The Rogues series, has great city flair, a great main char and is set in the Border Kingdoms.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2010 :  07:22:00  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

quote:

YotRD from my point of view has no deeper tie ins to other Byers novels apart from the the dragon Brimstone. I have not stumbled about any novels that make it recommendable to read YotRD before. In terms of lore however it is certainly an interesting trilogy.

Indeed. I recommend you still read YoRD. Brimstone's role is pretty much significant in that trilogy. And you'll understand more why he's doing what he does in the BotG trilogy. I just hope though that you don't mind extremely small font and very thin paper (like what's used in a bible), as that's the case in the new omnibus of the YoRD.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2010 :  22:14:31  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah I've got the omnibus. I got it the same day I got Whisper of Venom. I'll probably try to read through it first.

-The Sith Code

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000