Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Suggestion....
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2011 :  06:44:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

The problem seems to have magically corrected itself (again). Did ye fix something, Sage?

I briefly tweaked with the script for the SEARCH function, but that's all.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2011 :  08:49:44  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whatever ye tweaked seems to have done something, lol.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2011 :  16:14:24  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

The Search function is particuarly inefficent and as we don't archive any topics or posts at Candlekeep, can create quite extensive query tasks; often resulting in a timeout. All I can say is that this will be much improved in v2 of the Candlekeep Forum.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2011 :  16:35:02  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose the problem theoretically gets a little worse every day that new scrolls are added to Candlekeep's shelves. There will come a day when a critical failure threshold is passed, the proverbial scroll that broke the camel's back. It's a race between the proverbial camel and CK2, lol, it might be awfully close, I hope SageTime allows for slow-motion capture and replay.

For now I guess the search timeout problem probably occurs most often during peak traffic on Candlekeep's ISP. Baldur's Gate gets great bandwidth, but that last-mile infrastructure going out to Candlekeep Isle is a bit dodgy.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 30 Mar 2011 16:38:36
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2011 :  23:28:28  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I suggest that the choices in a poll be increased to twenty.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 29 Aug 2011 23:29:19
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2011 :  01:08:56  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My recent post here reminded me of a suggestion I'd like to see implemented in CK2. It would be more convenient and cleaner if

1) the [url] parsing could jump directly to specific posts (example of this at the geekhack forums, each post is sequentially numbered and assigned a [url] link), and

2) the [url] parsing could refer links to the Wayback Machine, as I find that it is the ultimate archive for "lost" lore and used with increasing frequency as time passes.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 30 Aug 2011 01:09:21
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  10:27:49  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some more suggestions; some minor technical ideas implemented at other forums which I think are worth considering ...

• After a post is submitted, the message says something like "Posting your message" with an onscreen countdown timer (starting at, say, 3 or 5 seconds, etc). This countdown delay actually serves the usual anti-spam function, it's just convenient because it provides realtime feedback to the user.

• Including [noparse][/noparse] coding tags; these are useful when users need to explain the forum codes to each other but cannot actually state the codes literally without having them automatically processed. Very useful when instructing new visitors about forum-specific quirks.

• Related to above; a help page which clearly illustrates all the coding tags and their usage, with examples. (Perhaps Candlekeep actually already has one, but if so I couldn't find it.)

• Persistent storage of each user's editing preferences; defaulting to whichever font, size, colour, etc the user may have assigned as his "signature style" ... this can make long scrolls more readable (at least when following posts by particular user/s), provided the array of font and colour choices are conservative and visually inoffensive.

• More about the editor; it would be very nice to have the option to always use "advanced" editor, or at least be able to extend/resize the editing window beyond just an half-dozen text lines.

• [/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 09 Sep 2011 10:30:11
    Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
    Master of Mischief

USA
    36798 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  11:51:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ayrik

• Related to above; a help page which clearly illustrates all the coding tags and their usage, with examples. (Perhaps Candlekeep actually already has one, but if so I couldn't find it.)

• You could use the Forum FAQ...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
    Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
    Great Reader

Canada
    7989 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  16:25:51  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Oh. Hmmm, never actually knew there was a CandleFAQ, lol. Perhaps because I routinely head straight for the forums without navigating through the home page (unless directed there by a search engine). Now that I've hunted for the FAQ, I notice a linky hidden up top that I'd always ignored. Perhaps you Mystical Moderators Three (known to the Ancient Greeks as Rupos, Alaupos, Sachesis; known to even older pagan faiths by many names) might consider appending it within your signatures ... although certainly the fault of ignorance is entirely mine.

[/Ayrik]
    Go to Top of Page

Dennis
    Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2011 :  12:59:32  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Can we please improve the Search function? When I looked for a particular Ed post, it just gave me his whole thread. I was not sure if I had to be mad or laugh it off... But in the end I ended up doing the latter.

Sorry, Mods, I know you're endeavoring to make the necessary improvements for CK 2.O.

I'm fervently praying though that all those wonderful improvements would not be sucked by the SageVortex.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
    Great Reader

Canada
    7989 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2011 :  05:00:51  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    *cough* CandleWiki *cough*

Yeah, I know it's been said before, many times, by many people (including myself, heehee). Just, y'know, spamming it out there again.

[/Ayrik]
    Go to Top of Page

Dennis
    Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2011 :  06:05:07  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Suggestion not to the Mods specifically, but to all scribes:

When quoting more than 3 posts, please use "size 1" so that it doesn't look too long and so it's easier for others to zoom into your own words.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
    Great Reader

USA
    3131 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2011 :  14:29:40  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Dennis

Suggestion not to the Mods specifically, but to all scribes:

When quoting more than 3 posts, please use "size 1" so that it doesn't look too long and so it's easier for others to zoom into your own words.

I will second this motion

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
    Go to Top of Page

Zireael
    Master of Realmslore

Poland
    1190 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2011 :  11:12:04  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Thirded.

A CandleWiki would be a lovely way of preserving the best snippets of lore and ideas...

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
    Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
    Great Reader

Canada
    7989 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2011 :  22:44:43  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Another suggestion - one that's easy to implement and can save much time/effort for ye mods:

Place a "Delete all Cookies from this site" button somewhere visible ... 'twould be much easier for less computer-savvy scribes to correct browser issues they might encounter here. It's not much, but it costs little to implement and can resolve (or at least rule out) most of the common frustrations people encounter online, so it's an increasingly common feature on many forums.

[/Ayrik]
    Go to Top of Page

The Sage
    Procrastinator Most High

Australia
    31727 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2011 :  01:39:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Such a recommendation has been made in the past, and, as I recall, will likely be incorporated into the architecture for Candlekeep 2.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
    Great Reader

Canada
    7989 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2011 :  07:32:57  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Incidentally, I suggest tweaking the ROBOTS.TXT parameters a little. My complex search genie imperatives quite often direct me to the mystical Edit Post shelf, where passages can be seen in some partially-written state, sometimes passages submitted long ago, sometimes passages subsequently altered or even withheld, often those written by other scribes. [I've oft wondered what the result of editing and resubmitting another scribe's post would be, beyond the obvious impropriety of such vandalism.] It would perhaps be best if the search golems were no longer permitted to visit the writing desks, lest they observe and record (more) thoughts and writings of scribes which have not been formally submitted Candlekeep's shelves, and lest the passages they have scried lead to further disarray among Candlekeep's systems of internal organization.

[Edit: edited spontaneously, thrice, as a quick test. I can PM specific examples, if that helps, although they might not be reproducible indefinitely (as the search genies constantly index and cache their own hoards of lore).]

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 13 Oct 2011 07:56:08
    Go to Top of Page

Dennis
    Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  18:03:29  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Is the "Who Votes?" option in creating polls new? I've made quite a lot of polls since joining the Candlkeep community, but 'tis only today that I noticed it, particularly upon making The Catchiest Title poll.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
    Great Reader

USA
    7915 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  18:51:34  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

Is the "Who Votes?" option in creating polls new? I've made quite a lot of polls since joining the Candlkeep community, but 'tis only today that I noticed it, particularly upon making The Catchiest Title poll.

Nah, that's been there for years. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
    Go to Top of Page

The Sage
    Procrastinator Most High

Australia
    31727 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2011 :  03:06:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

Nah, that's been there for years. :)

Aye. Kuje has the right of it.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
    Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2011 :  04:42:35  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It’s not the first time. I sometimes tend to ignore the obvious.

Go to Top of Page

Marc
    Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2011 :  10:18:44  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    How about ''Hide this thread'' option, they have this on Paizo forums

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
    Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2011 :  10:52:52  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hmm. Just curious, what is it for? To minimize [or discourage] participation of certain scribes?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
    Master of Mischief

USA
    36798 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2011 :  11:22:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    I would imagine it's more to keep the person clicking the Hide button from seeing the thread... Thus, if a thread was of no interest to someone they didn't have to see it.

At least, that is my assumption.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
    Go to Top of Page

Dennis
    Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2011 :  12:01:14  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I would imagine it's more to keep the person clicking the Hide button from seeing the thread... Thus, if a thread was of no interest to someone they didn't have to see it.

At least, that is my assumption.

In that case, I second the suggestion!

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
    Great Reader

Sweden
    2104 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2011 :  15:37:53  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    And I'll third it.

All those rules-threads degenerating into "my dad's bigger than your" arguments after 10 posts, gone!

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
    Terry Pratchett
    Go to Top of Page

Dennis
    Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  16:07:45  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I suggest there be a slot in our Profile where we can paste a link to our chosen avatar so that we can change it anytime we want. I know Al responds to our avatar change request fast, but my suggestion would spare him the trouble [not to mention save him time to do other stuff] of changing it himself.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
    Great Reader

USA
    3131 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  16:42:34  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

I suggest there be a slot in our Profile where we can paste a link to our chosen avatar so that we can change it anytime we want. I know Al responds to our avatar change request fast, but my suggestion would spare him the trouble [not to mention save him time to do other stuff] of changing it himself.

That would work, but i am sure someone out there would abuse it and post an inappropriate avatar pic.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
    Great Reader

USA
    3131 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  16:44:26  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    How about adding a tab/link on our profile that allows us to check off Realms book that we have read. There could be a master list of every Realms book published (to date) and we could just put a check mark next to them as we read through. This way other curious scribes would know what everyone has read

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
    Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  16:45:11  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:

That would work, but i am sure someone out there would abuse it and post an inappropriate avatar pic.

Which the mods can easily change, as they do the inappropriate posts.

Go to Top of Page
    Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
    Previous Page | Next Page
     New Topic  New Poll New Poll
     Reply to Topic
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000