Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Suggestion....
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2010 :  00:22:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I finally figured-out HOW I lost my big 3 page post about three weeks ago.

PLEASE get rid of the 'Reset Fields' button!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just lost another HUGE post! Just what the heck is that for, anyway? (aside from causing me endless aggravation).

Reminds me of the 'self-destruct' button every super-villain puts on their 'doomsday devices' (and then wonder afterward why the hell they did that).

I'm done for today... I'm actually having chest-pains over this one now...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2010 :  01:32:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. Have no fear, Markus. It's now on the list of recommendations to consider for Candlekeep 2.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2010 :  03:40:09  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markustay, I can empathize, although I tend to lose important/long posts via forum hiccup than the DOOMbutton. As a workaround, if I know I'm going to be a making a long post, I write it in a text editor/word processor (huzzah for spellcheck!) and then once I'm done with it, I copy/paste back into the forum window, so if it self-destructs, I'm covered.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2010 :  07:04:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My problem Daviot is that I intend to make a short answer, and then suddenly find myself typing several pages once I get on a roll.

This time it wasn't just a post - I was starting a new thread with a new epiphany I had, and since the 'creative spark' has now left I'm not sure if I want to bother trying to re-formulate it.

It was along the nature of 'game theory' - which is another sub-forum I'd love to see make its way into CK2.0. Although it related heavily to some of my cosmological musings, it was more of an 'applied divinity' for gaming.

What I may just do is take the entire theory and slip it into my mythological piece (although I wanted to keep 'hard facts' out of that, which would certainly include game-rules). I found some info today that tied-together two different ideas I had from two different threads (the drow and the fey ones), which rather then further complicating things (as usual), it actually 'boiled-away' all the 'fat' into a compact yet coherent line of reasoning.

But you are correct - I really need to write in WORD and then paste it into the post when I go into 'lecture mode'.

That will fix that pesky 'self destruct' button.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Nov 2010 07:05:28
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2010 :  09:43:44  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Admit it Markus, you are long winded!!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2010 :  17:25:53  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Precision prevents misunderstanding.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2010 :  19:53:57  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2010 :  20:00:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Admit it Markus, you are long winded!!
Absolutely.

Thank goodness I have that one single fault, or someone might nail me to a cross.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2010 :  06:59:17  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try this one:

Open a Word Document on your desktop, write there, save, copy/paste.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2010 :  11:41:19  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's what I do, though I use Notepad++ for this purpose because I can configure it to include and display CK forum formatting codes (found in the FAQ). I do the same thing when posting at any forum or writing my email, it never hurts to have a "backup" of what you've just written in your clipboard so you can prevail against internet hiccups.

Yet I still find myself sometimes having to edit and re-edit CK posts countless times, to correct sinister typos and scribe my scrolls correctly. I'm just too neurotic to casually dismiss any obvious little errors I see posted.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2010 :  13:41:35  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Try this one:

Open a Word Document on your desktop, write there, save, copy/paste.

Sound advice!!

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  19:21:02  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would it be possible to add the "&whichpage=##" to the URL received in messages so that the most recent page in the scroll opens?

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  20:30:54  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azuth

Would it be possible to add the "&whichpage=##" to the URL received in messages so that the most recent page in the scroll opens?

If you use "Active Topics", there's a little blue arrow next to the most recent poster's name that will take you to the most recent post.

Note, however, that it's the most recent post, not the first unread post, so if there were 10 posts since you last checked in and click on the blue arrow, you'll go to the last post and have to scroll back for the other new posts.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  22:12:37  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Hmmm. Have no fear, Markus. It's now on the list of recommendations to consider for Candlekeep 2.
I am not sure what seems more likely to happen, Candlekeep 2 or anything on the Sage's To-Do List.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  00:17:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I am not sure what seems more likely to happen, Candlekeep 2 or anything on the Sage's To-Do List.

Oh, I think the rise of Candlekeep 2 is entirely more likely... than my accomplishing anything on the famed "Sage's To-Do List."

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  12:08:55  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart
If you use "Active Topics", there's a little blue arrow next to the most recent poster's name that will take you to the most recent post.

Note, however, that it's the most recent post, not the first unread post, so if there were 10 posts since you last checked in and click on the blue arrow, you'll go to the last post and have to scroll back for the other new posts.

I did not know about that arrow. Thanks Ashe!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  12:34:46  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't Candlekeep 2 scheduled to come in the first quarter of 2011? Or at least some features we were requesting?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  14:47:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That depends, largely, on the amount of time Alaundo can devote to getting the basic foundation for the upgrade, up and running. The Quarter 1 date was tentative at best, like I've said before. It really does all depend on just when and where we can implement te new stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2011 :  15:01:04  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Markustay

Reminds me of the 'self-destruct' button every super-villain puts on their 'doomsday devices' (and then wonder afterward why the hell they did that).
A little OT here, but the answer is simple.

I call it the Achilles Heel Contingency. The Big Red Self-Destruct Button is a control to prevent the unstoppable machine of terror and destruction from turning against it's creator (and possibly also destroying the entire world/cosmos without authorization). AHC has profound philosophical and paradoxical implications (especially when a doomsday superintelligence surpasses its creator), though it is ultimately a matter of personal preference for each evil genius as to whether he will install an AHC on any given project.

Alaundo has clearly chosen to implement an AHC on the Candlekeep editor, to prevent the chaos and destruction which might ensue when bad text gets posted.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 09 Feb 2011 15:09:30
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2011 :  09:58:21  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still, I think this button should disappear.

Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2011 :  16:06:32  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What forum software is CK2 going to be using? I have extensive experience with web applications, but I fear Snitz Forums is a bit dated and clunky. Have the admins thought of porting the database over to MySQL and possibly running vBulletin?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2011 :  16:17:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, yes. SQL was a discussed alternative, as I recall. Alaundo will have more.

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2011 :  11:04:02  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When's CK2 coming?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2011 :  14:32:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you seen Spaceballs? If so, remember the "When will then be now?" bit.

In there, lies the answer to the unveiling of Candlekeep 2.

Soon.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2011 :  16:32:11  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are we there yet?

How long?

How much farther?

Sage is poking me! I'm telling!

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2011 :  17:35:59  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahem ... sorry about the above, I couldn't resist.

I'm also sorry to report that the search genie appears to be sick. I have been experiencing great difficulty with the search function in recent days; I most often see "server busy" ASP messages unless I refresh numerous times (and the search result pages load with painful slowness when they do actually work); even while Active Users reports minimal numbers of scribes and guests within the keep. External searches are of little help since recent google crawls (and caches) also quite often seem to link to "server busy" pages.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2011 :  01:57:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Ahem ... sorry about the above, I couldn't resist.

I'm also sorry to report that the search genie appears to be sick. I have been experiencing great difficulty with the search function in recent days; I most often see "server busy" ASP messages unless I refresh numerous times (and the search result pages load with painful slowness when they do actually work); even while Active Users reports minimal numbers of scribes and guests within the keep. External searches are of little help since recent google crawls (and caches) also quite often seem to link to "server busy" pages.

Hmmm. That's strange. I haven't been encountering any problems with the Candlekeep Search function.

Which browser are you using, Arik?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2011 :  03:14:13  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Same problem in about a week ago. I'm using Firefox and G-Chrome.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2011 :  03:17:57  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too had the same problems about two weeks back. In Firefox and Chrome. Like most gremlins I encounter here, they got bored and wandered off of their own accord leaving me in peace.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2011 :  03:41:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, this is weird. I'd thought the Search function had been working rather well.

Maybe I need to look into this further.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2011 :  04:14:49  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm mostly using IE8 on Win7 (Ultimate-64 on main machine, Premium-32 on laptop), sometimes I've tried run-from-disc FF3 with the same results, sometimes a KDE (xwindows) browser on my pimped X51v PPC (ancient PDA device). It's certainly not my cookies and security stuff. Other sites (including another Snitz) still work well.

The problem seems to have magically corrected itself (again). Did ye fix something, Sage?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000