Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Archvillainess (Spoilers)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2011 :  04:16:04  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Which is just right. I don't see her as a "good" leader. And she herself said that.

-Quenthel, she never struck me as a particularly good leader, either, though. I always got the impression that she was kind of dumb, actually. Personally, I would have preferred that Triel stay in charge of the House, because I think the whole web of intrigue between Triel not being a particularly..."assertive" and confident leadership figure, Gromph doing his own thing in the shadows attempting to steer Triel in directions that are more beneficial towards his own particular goals, and Quenthel being...Quenthel, made for a more dynamic interplay.

Triel practically didn't care what Gromph did. And so the archmage could do almost anything he wanted, save perhaps making the society and government patriarchal. And Quenthel? Hah! She hates Gromph and does everything in her power to make him and his wizards useful but not powerful enough to oppose her and her schemes. You're right, though. Quenthel is not that intelligent. But her decisiveness, cruelty, and assertiveness make up for that, making her more suited (between her and Triel, that is) to the throne.

If Triel remains as the matriach, almost everyone can do s/he wishes. Or worse, she'd be a puppet to some cunning drow opportunists. So what's the point of having a leader?

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 24 Apr 2011 04:20:05
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2011 :  04:21:28  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Triel practically didn't care what Gromph did. And so the archmage could do almost anything he wanted, save perhaps making the society and government patriarchal. And Quenthel? Hah! She hates Gromph and does everything in her power to make him and his wizards useful but not powerful enough to oppose her and her schemes. You're right, though. Quenthel is not that intelligent. But her decisiveness, cruelty, and assertiveness make up for that, making her more suited (between her and Triel, that is) to the throne.

If Triel remains as the matriach, almost everyone can do s/he wishes. Or worse, she'd be a puppet to some cunning drow opportunists. So what's the point of having a leader?

-Which made for good intrigue, of which is central to Drow society, good character/plot development, and good reading.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2011 :  04:31:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yvonnel Baenre was decisive, cruel, and assertive, too. But that didn't stop good intrigue in the drow society.

-----

To those who read the Last Mythal trilogy:

Did Sarya actively participate in the battle? I read somewhere it was Malkizid who fought for her.

Edited by - Dennis on 26 Apr 2011 07:13:16
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2011 :  18:09:36  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Iyraclea ... she's cold blooded!

(and no she's not dead :) )

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2011 :  18:53:58  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Sounds dead to me:

quote:

An excerpt from The Ruin

A towering mass of shadow appeared in front of the dracolich then swept forward like a wave racing toward the shore. Giants and wyrms scrambled to get out of the way. Those who failed broke part into small fragments, which then crumbled to powder. The darkness likewise obliterated the paving stones in its path, and as soon as the first of them shattered, the symbols on all the others stopped gleaming.

The wave raced on amid swirling dust. It surged over Kara's body, and Raryn, Taegan, and Brimstone's misty forms, and they too disappeared. At the opposite end of the square, it engulfed its actual target and halted with a suddenness no mundane matter could have matched. It clasped Iyraclea's slender form like amber encasing an insect.

Fissures ran through her skin as if she were a clay figure on the verge of breaking. Yet she didn't perish immediately, as lesser beings had. She chanted the Frostmaiden's name, and her body glowed like ice refracting sunlight, the blaze piercing the surrounding murk. She grew taller, as though the Cold Goddess was lending her more strength than a humansized frame could contain.

Then, however, Zethrindor roared another word, and the Ice Queen thrashed in agony. She was woman-sized again, her inner glow guttering out.

"Aur—" she croaked, and a jagged crack split her luscious mouth and perfect face in two. Her left foot dropped away from its ankle. Then the shadow devoured her completely.

Afterward, the magic dwindled and disappeared like water draining into the ground. Evidently exhausted, Zethrindor slumped down. Dorn looked around and saw nothing but drifts of dust and the broad new scar across the plaza.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2011 :  21:40:43  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Did being decapitated, hacked a bit, and devoured by shadows ever stop Jean Grey? Iyraclea just isn't trying hard enough.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2011 :  22:41:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-Did being decapitated, hacked a bit, and devoured by shadows ever stop Jean Grey? Iyraclea just isn't trying hard enough.

No, but a difference between comics and the Realms is that in the Realms, it's possible to stay dead.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  04:09:35  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

No, but a difference between comics and the Realms is that in the Realms, it's possible to stay dead.

Indeed. Though I must say that should someone ever feel inclined to bring her back, like what they did to Pharaun and others, s/he better have a good reason for it and present it with credibility.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  04:33:54  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right. Though I must say that in comics, too, there had better be a GOOD reason to bring them back. Only Jean/Phoenix really has a valid reason to keep coming back.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  04:51:32  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Unfortunately, 'good reason' is a very relative term...

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  04:55:07  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True, true....

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  05:09:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Though a majority may agree on what it is. Resurrecting a character who died a pointless death only to give him another pointless death is hardly a good reason. And I think you know whom I refer to.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  05:19:00  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not really. Whom? Supes? Bats? Wolverine? Scarlet Spider(aka Ben Reilly)?

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  05:20:51  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Not comics character. FR. And it's Pharaun.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  05:21:50  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-He was resurrected in the Fractured Sky series? And, then he died again? Oy vey...I didn't like the character too much, but...

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  05:24:06  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
o....kay. I had not read that. How did he die THIS time?

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  05:25:31  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

-He was resurrected in the Fractured Sky series? And, then he died again? Oy vey...I didn't like the character too much, but...

I actually did like him. And didn't want him to die. We rarely see a drow who has a sense of humor.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  05:36:11  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apparently only Jarlaxle and Liriel are allowed to have one and live....

My stories:

Edited by - Alystra Illianniis on 30 Apr 2011 05:37:03
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  05:49:08  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

So Drizzt doesn't have a sense a humor? Not even a mote?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  05:52:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Only Jean/Phoenix really has a valid reason to keep coming back.

Maybe for the first couple of times... but it's almost become something of a running joke now. Especially considering the hype around Hope, and whether she really is reborn-Jean in teenage form.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  05:57:11  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Maybe they're taking the meaning of the "Phoenix" too literally? A being that can resurrect itself sans any outside help.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  06:25:48  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Only Jean/Phoenix really has a valid reason to keep coming back.

Maybe for the first couple of times... but it's almost become something of a running joke now. Especially considering the hype around Hope, and whether she really is reborn-Jean in teenage form.

-If it turns out that Hope is a reborn Jean, I'll admit that at least it's something new (like X-Force's reborn, young Apocalypse, that I didn't care for too much), but I soured on the idea. It seemed pretty cool when it was suggested at the end of Manifest Destiny, when Emma saw her doing her best Jean impression, but it soured on me. Then again, I don't like the whole "travel around the world activating other mutants' latent powers, Generation Hope" schpiel, either, so...Can't they just make her a little girl Cable is running around through time with, protecting her against Bishop again?

-A ha! To keep it on topic:

quote:

Apparently only Jarlaxle and Liriel are allowed to have one and live....

-Hey, that's mostly fine with me.

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 30 Apr 2011 06:28:37
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  06:50:55  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Driizt? Nah- his humor is too dry. He must be a Brithish drow....

As for Hope being Jean- I had not heard of that. I lost track sometime around her being in the future with Cable, and X-Factor's Layla being stuck in a future time. Then came Spidey's OMIT, and I cried. No, really. It made me so angry that I cried. And since I'm nowhere within thirty miles of a comic store, and can't afford subscriptions, I've not read a comic since then. But I LOVED what they did with Jean at the end of Phoenix: Endsong. Phoenix: Warsong was cool, too- and that was where I wish they'd left her. Madelyn coming back was sort of annoying to me, and I prefer Rachel as Phoenix anyway. She's got a better handle on it.

On topic- There IS at least ONE other drow with a sense of humor- but he's not canon. He's in my campaigns. And just for you, Sage- he's a bard. (Yes, he's MY bard....) And if he WAS canon, then his half-sister might qualify for the list of arch-villainesses above. Morganna's one MEAN be-otch! (And she's only half-drow, so she's got all sorts of issues!)

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  07:11:36  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Variance will probably be a "good" archvillainess. And perhaps the most interesting part would be to see how she would extricate herself from the strong clutch of Shade to be an independent meanie.

-----

To my fellow sribes,

Just curious, what do you prefer for an archvillainess, one who is purely evil, or one who's a little bit "shady"?

Edited by - Dennis on 01 May 2011 05:25:02
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2011 :  05:50:59  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like them shady...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2011 :  05:55:59  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Same here. I guess what makes a shady archvillainess (arguably) more interesting is that you often have to wonder what she will do next---as opposed to a pure evil one whose line of sight is completely straight.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2011 :  06:02:55  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

To my fellow sribes,

Just curious, what do you prefer for an archvillainess, one who is purely evil, or one who's a little bit "shady"?

-The Banite Cleric from Finder's Bane andTymora's Luck, Walinda, was a great villainess.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2011 :  06:11:05  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

To my fellow sribes,

-The Banite Cleric from Finder's Bane andTymora's Luck, Walinda, was a great villainess.

Those have been in my To-Read stacks for a very long time. What exactly did she do that makes her great? Spanked Bane.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2011 :  06:17:13  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Those have been in my To-Read stacks for a very long time. What exactly did she do that makes her great? Spanked Bane.

-She embodied being a Banite very well- was evil, masochistic, wasn't averse to using her "womanly wiles" to get what she wanted, that kind of stuff- while, at the same time, was physically and emotionally/psychologically abused by her superior (which I won't say who he/she/it was, since you haven't read it yet). A very realistic character- and, she gets moreso in Tymora's Luck, based on decisions she makes.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2011 :  06:24:28  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

So she's insane. But then again, what villainess isn't?

How bad was her masochism? Like Dolgan's? Thoroughly enjoying pain?

Edited by - Dennis on 01 May 2011 06:51:57
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000