Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Collector Question: Harpers Series
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dead
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  12:25:02  Show Profile Send dead a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi Folks,

I've been trying to collect 1st editions of the Harpers Series and just had some questions regarding 2 books:

- Book 12: The Veiled Dragon
Did this come with a metallic, gold, embossed border on the cover or, unlike the rest of the series, was it only printed with a yellow border? It's just that I can't seem to find one with a gold border so I'm starting to wonder if it exists (I've never see a picture of one).

- Book 15: Finder's Bane
Once again, was this book ever printed with the metallic, gold, embossed border? There's a picture on Amazon showing it with one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/0786906588/ref=dp_otherviews_0?ie=UTF8&s=books&img=0

But sellers online swear they have 1st editions but the cover has no border. They say there's looks like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/0786906588/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0?ie=UTF8&index=0

So perhaps the image of Finder's Bane with the gold border is just a pre-release stock shot or something?

Anyway, I was hoping some collectors out there could help clear this up for me.

Thank you

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  02:29:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the copies of those books that I have are first editions (I know I used to have them as first editions! )... And neither book has metallic borders.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  02:59:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I think the copies of those books that I have are first editions (I know I used to have them as first editions! )... And neither book has metallic borders.

Agreed. I purchased the first printings for each, and neither had gold embossed borders on the covers.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

dead
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  09:51:14  Show Profile Send dead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that.

Yes, I've discovered that at least 3 in the series have yellow embossed borders instead of metallic gold. Finder's Bane is a mystery, though, as there is that photo on Amazon. I guess it was just a pre-release pic and the artwork changed when the book was printed.
Go to Top of Page

brando
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  04:28:59  Show Profile  Visit brando's Homepage Send brando a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will check my early tomorrow since they are all packed away right now, but I assume my copies will be no different than the previous posts.
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2010 :  09:30:51  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i bought finders bane within weeks of its release also here in the uk and no gold border also.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

brando
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  03:50:38  Show Profile  Visit brando's Homepage Send brando a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the delayed updated but mine also did not have the gold.
Go to Top of Page

Corrupteddragon
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2010 :  19:35:01  Show Profile  Visit Corrupteddragon's Homepage Send Corrupteddragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, I buy all my FR books on release day and those 2 books did not have the gold embossed border.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000