Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Gripe about your players
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Nilus Reynard
Learned Scribe

Canada
137 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2011 :  12:46:41  Show Profile Send Nilus Reynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
10+ years back we had a guy in our gaming group who played a minotaur barbarian. He had all kinds of ridiculous weapons that he chose for the character, but the worst (and most amusing) was a great bow that he fired Ballista bolts from. All of us tried to explain to him that this is physically impossible, but he would hear none of it. We eventually gave him a an example of why it wouldn't work through a small demonstration: We tried to shoot a broomstick using a youths target bow. Of course it didn't work. So he ditched that idea, and chose something even more stupid. He wanted to try using a battering ram as a two-handed mace, again we tried to explain that this wouldn't work as minotaurs just aren't that big. But he argued about it until we just gave up.

We eventually ended up killing off his character & me being the priest in the group I refused to raise him. He just insisted that he would create another character like the previous. He was told that if he couldn't act somewhat normally, he wasn't wanted around for the gaming nights as we were tired of the stupidity. Every so often the topic of it comes up & even he looks back and shakes his head about it.

Nilus Reynard
Doom Master of Beshaba, Hand of Despair.
P24 Hm CN
(2nd Edition AD&D)
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2011 :  14:13:28  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nilus Reynard

10+ years back we had a guy in our gaming group who played a minotaur barbarian. He had all kinds of ridiculous weapons that he chose for the character, but the worst (and most amusing) was a great bow that he fired Ballista bolts from. All of us tried to explain to him that this is physically impossible, but he would hear none of it. We eventually gave him a an example of why it wouldn't work through a small demonstration: We tried to shoot a broomstick using a youths target bow. Of course it didn't work. So he ditched that idea, and chose something even more stupid. He wanted to try using a battering ram as a two-handed mace, again we tried to explain that this wouldn't work as minotaurs just aren't that big. But he argued about it until we just gave up.

We eventually ended up killing off his character & me being the priest in the group I refused to raise him. He just insisted that he would create another character like the previous. He was told that if he couldn't act somewhat normally, he wasn't wanted around for the gaming nights as we were tired of the stupidity. Every so often the topic of it comes up & even he looks back and shakes his head about it.

Lol, good stuff. I had a great minotaur character once but never tried anything lame like that. He sure could dish out some damage though. Pit-fighting was especially fun

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2011 :  15:50:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nilus Reynard

My 2E minotaur preferred fighting with a bastard sword in one hand, and sometimes a club or axe in the other. Never tried anything more exotic than a bow special made to allow him to get his strength bonus -- which, due to a crit on a called shot, some creativity on my part, and a bad call on the part of an inexperienced DM, allowed my character to kill a full-grown T-rex with one shot!

The bad call on the DM's part was the strength of some "very powerful poison" that had been found on a prior adventure. My minotaur tied a vial of this poison to an arrow, and fired it right into the T-rex's mouth. It keeled over dead, and our poor DM almost fell over in shock!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2011 :  20:45:36  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I fondly recall Knoxx, the Minotaur. He actually started off as a slave and ended up never choosing any weapons at all beyond the manacles and chains he "symbolically" wore on both wrists. Not as glorious as a ballista-bow or siege-mace, but still capable of surprising damage.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

WizardsHerb
Acolyte

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2011 :  01:26:45  Show Profile Send WizardsHerb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had few games of tabletop D&D (and some other tabletop games), but my goodness, I've had some horrible experiences.

A player who demanded to play a half-black dragon rogue to an otherwise low powered group (a dumb fighter and an even-spread cleric), and threatened the GM with a knife when his character received a critical hit.
I quote, "No, it doesn't [crit me], because if it did I'd knife you."
That GM spending half of the second play session showing off his PC from another campaign (our guide) which was a psionic were-tiger monk/sorcerer with a githyanki silver sword.

A (different) GM who insisted my (Good-aligned) Rogue would be inclined to rob a village in which the folks had, that moment, fled in terror from imagined vampires and curses.
That GM also refusing enquiry on tasting a river of blood because I asked "does it taste like dye?" rather than "does it taste like blood?", arguing that I wouldn't know what dye tastes like.

And then I've had the classics of another player insisting on playing a higher level character with perfect stats because he rolled them in another group. Which makes sense. Also tended to retcon other players' actions for them. Oh, and when running games, having players who insist they want to play but skipping on all of the sessions after the first two or three.

And I just remembered the one player who really drove me nuts when GMing, before the game had even started. Trying to organize my first game of M&M, and said player being really enthusiastic to play... as "Kenny McTickle", who has a magic kilt from which he can withdraw any item imaginable, including a superserum which he used to gain superpowers. He wouldn't give up the joke, so I wouldn't let him play. >:(

Edited by - WizardsHerb on 07 Oct 2011 01:29:04
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2011 :  23:35:13  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Urk. That was me throwing up in my mouth a little. You poor, poor man. Sounds like you've had some horrible DM's/players in your group(s). I've had a few stinkers in mine as well, so I sympathize.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

WizardsHerb
Acolyte

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2011 :  00:01:48  Show Profile Send WizardsHerb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's why I haven't played for years. I've always thought it's a great shame that I couldn't find a stable group, since there's so much to tabletop roleplaying that is just amazing. The experience of being in a story-focused group with a great dynamic with each other and a riveting GM with a great story to lead them through... It's a thing that I'm worried might slowly die out without the right boost. Something like that should never die out.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2011 :  00:42:05  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, well I've been DM for years and my mob of foolish victims friendly players still haven't lynched me.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2011 :  13:47:18  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They don't love the Realms as much as I do.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2012 :  19:46:15  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
we had a guy once, playing a woodelf-character with str 19 and con 18.

he described him as "slender aand agile, but well trained" it still makes me laugh thinking of it, much better yet was the fact, that this char was literally a bad copy of drizz't do urden since he also had an onyx figure, fought with two scmitars, but the best was similar as the minotaur, he used abow adjusted for str 19.

aahh, sometimes i miss the good old times really, no matter how silly they sometimes were.

same guy was DM, and we had gaming ngiths, with him as dm and me and a friend as players. me fighter level 7-9 and him illusionist level 6-9 over the time.

in one session i recall as wandering monsters, a days march out of silvery moon:

morning: we wake up and see a death knioght roaming the countryside...
mid-day: a red dragon, mature adult or bigger ( ok, this is justifiable.... where north and close to the spine of the world....)
late-afternoon: A PAIR OF MARILITHS CAMPING NEAR A CAVE!!!!!!!

funny enoughthough, that back then my fighter always anted to charge into all opportunities like a pissed off pitbull. the illusionist gave up on the mariliths, and they cleanly chopped my head off with their vorpal blades....

char got raised later, but will never forget....

in one session
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000