Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 WotC Novel Survey
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  16:35:06  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Good point about the cyclical nature of the genre/industry, which is reflective of trends in the broader society. Every generation is sort of a reaction against the previous generation--sometimes we get innovation, and sometimes we get people wearing bell-bottoms again.

quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Maybe the next change will be for Realms novels to be more flowery again.
Well, not to denigrate the old school novels, but I personally hope that doesn't happen! I like my darkness too much.

Cheers

I cant see it happening in the near future and I must admit that I am a bit unsure where in the generation we are at the moment anyway. But as a old-school S&S fan I am still waiting for the general trend in fantasy to move away from long series and brick sized novels. Ah, for the days of Lin Carter and ACE doubles again. Well I can always dream, even if the cycles of the genre always seem to take a slight turn around me.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  16:40:25  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We're in the Tolkien phase of the cycle, Jorkens. Alas, I think it's a long cycle (60-70 years), so the next batch of short novels won't probably come out for another 15-20 years... But we've peaked, so they should start getting shorter!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  16:59:39  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's interesting. At the moment, swords-and-castles-style fantasy does seem to be dominated by the ginormous epic as practiced by writers like George R. R. Martin and Tad Williams. And I think highly of both of them. But when I'm looking for fast-paced fantasy adventure of a less daunting length, I turn to urban fantasy writers like Jim Butcher and Simon Green. Despite the modern setting, I see their books as having a great deal in common with the s&s novels of Leiber, Vance, Moorcock, Wagner, Anderson, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Ananta
Acolyte

Finland
22 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  18:26:31  Show Profile  Visit Ananta's Homepage Send Ananta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Good point about the cyclical nature of the genre/industry, which is reflective of trends in the broader society. Every generation is sort of a reaction against the previous generation--sometimes we get innovation, and sometimes we get people wearing bell-bottoms again.

quote:

Well, not to denigrate the old school novels, but I personally hope that doesn't happen! I like my darkness too much.

Cheers

I cant see it happening in the near future and I must admit that I am a bit unsure where in the generation we are at the moment anyway. But as a old-school S&S fan I am still waiting for the general trend in fantasy to move away from long series and brick sized novels. Ah, for the days of Lin Carter and ACE doubles again. Well I can always dream, even if the cycles of the genre always seem to take a slight turn around me.

I enjoy the long fantasy series. When I get the inspiration to read, there's a lot to read.

*Impatiently waits for next Wheel of Time book that's supposed to come out in November*
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  20:19:16  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ananta

I enjoy the long fantasy series. When I get the inspiration to read, there's a lot to read.

*Impatiently waits for next Wheel of Time book that's supposed to come out in November*

If you told me two years ago that I'd be eagerly awaiting Towers of Midnight, I'd have laughed in your face. But Brandon's work on the series, and the fact that loose ends are getting tied up (and that ending of The Gathering Storm) has reinvigorated my faith in the series.

Not too mention I've promised myself that I'm not going to pick up George R.R. Martin until I've finished Wheel of Time.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  00:53:27  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Cheers

Is there any particular reason why there can't be both flowery stories and darker stories set in the Realms, regardless of era? I would think that a broad change in overall writing style is more entwined with changing audience tastes than anything in the setting.

Debating applying to that editing job, but I don't think they'd take me. :/

Rants and reviews that interest no one may be found here.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  06:10:39  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh, I see I wasn't clear. Let me rephrase:

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Fellshot

quote:

quote:

Cheers

Is there any particular reason why there can't be both flowery stories and darker stories set in the Realms, regardless of era?
I don't actually mean light/dark, I mean "fat" writing (exhaustive description, overly long dialogues, etc.) vs. tight/efficient writing. It's not a pejorative: one way or the other might be more appealing, I just happen to like the latter, and it's not that I'm calling out any Realms novels in particular. That's just a noted difference between fantasy fiction of 10-20 years ago and fiction of today.

(For instance, compare Goodkind's Wizard's First Rule [1995ish] to, say, George R.R. Martin's Feast for Crows [2005ish]. )

quote:

Give it a shot! The worst they can say is no.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 14 Oct 2010 15:29:14
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  13:30:11  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

(For instance, compare Goodkind's Wizard's First Rule [1995ish] to, say, George R.R. Martin's Feast for Crows [2005ish]. )

I'd be happy if the former style is not represented in FR novels

z455t
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  16:52:24  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:

I don't actually mean light/dark, I mean "fat" writing (exhaustive description, overly long dialogues, etc.) vs. tight/efficient writing. It's not a pejorative: one way or the other might be more appealing, I just happen to like the latter, and it's not that I'm calling out any Realms novels in particular. That's just a noted difference between fantasy fiction of 10-20 years ago and fiction of today.

Cheers

Hmm...I actually thought in spite of the length that A Feast For Crows was a bit lean and could have used more "fat"

I generally find that althoug he writes alot ( as in page count) there is much that could be expanded on.

Now as for True "fat" writing as you define it, if you had said The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.....or another Steig Milenium novel....now thats Fat City!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 14 Oct 2010 16:53:43
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  04:01:15  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Presumably you all aren't paid by the word for one thing. :P

Also, the fantasy genre itself has exploded like a herd of sneezing dust bunnies. There's literally something for everyone, from the socially inept science nerd to the giggling valley girl. I wonder if it might be in their best interest to begin to expand the novel line's targeted audience. If they want it to, the Realms setting can support most of the fantasy subgenres (not just high fantasy and adventure).

quote:
quote:

Give it a shot! The worst they can say is no.

Cheers

LOL would it give me extra leeway to grouse about the illogical world changes because I would like to be a part of the solution?

In all seriousness, I don't have the background they want although I do have the ability. I have a really hard time not being nitpicky and critical about narrative form.

Rants and reviews that interest no one may be found here.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  06:01:50  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
If they want it to, the Realms setting can support most of the fantasy subgenres (not just high fantasy and adventure).
You mean the Realms doesn't already support high fantasy and adventure?

I read the wikipedia definition of "high fantasy" and I don't understand your distinction. What were you trying to say with this statement? What sorts of fiction would you call high fantasy?

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 15 Oct 2010 06:06:40
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  11:45:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

quote:
If they want it to, the Realms setting can support most of the fantasy subgenres (not just high fantasy and adventure).
You mean the Realms doesn't already support high fantasy and adventure?

I read the wikipedia definition of "high fantasy" and I don't understand your distinction. What were you trying to say with this statement? What sorts of fiction would you call high fantasy?

No, she was saying the Realms can support more fantasy subgenres, in addition to high fantasy.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  11:51:28  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aha, my bad. Sorry about that.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  17:21:12  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
P.S. Also, saying "I don't read 4e FR novels, but I would read FR novels that didn't have anything to do with the spellplague" is a little bit like saying "I'm not interested in the Expanded Star Wars Universe novels, but if you go back to releasing movies like the original three, I'll certainly give you my business."
It's much more like saying 'I'm not interested in the EU novels post-Return of the Jedi [or whenever], but I'd buy novels set in or before the time frame of the films' -- except that SW fiction is published for multiple eras, so it's hardly an impossibility.
quote:
To paraphrase Ed on the subject, for better or worse, IPs have to grow, and they have to embrace their own change, sometimes in ways people don't like.
I agree that Wizards and its authors, once the decision was taken, are best off carrying on as best they can and not half-heartedly. But as I've said before, a refashioning and hybridization from without, imposed for reasons external to the setting, doesn't constitute (implicitly natural, organic) growth just because they can both be labelled 'change'. It might be, at least given particular criteria, but that'd have to be argued on the merits.
quote:
The Spellplague can be a big stumbling block for readers who don't like the concept, but I think its significance in FR is kinda overstated and overhyped (largely by marketing and by its detractors).
True; 'Spellplague' often gets used in discussions, sometimes incoherently, as an emblem.
quote:
On the subject of old-school TSR vs. WotC novels: you know, I've read a lot of both, and there is a pretty serious difference, but it's mostly the sort of difference I see between eras of fantasy writing in general. I think modern fantasy writing is sharper, grittier, and less flowery than it used to be.
1990s TSR soft fantasy and 2000s fantasy grimness are both pretty discordant with the Realms as I see it, which is something actually rather odd and non-trend-followingly sui generis. Whereas I think short stories through novellas fit it better than novel sequences, at least the onces we've got.
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

We're in the Tolkien phase of the cycle, Jorkens. Alas, I think it's a long cycle (60-70 years), so the next batch of short novels won't probably come out for another 15-20 years...
On the other hand . . .
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  18:12:12  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Faraer: I'm inclined to see the Realms as a big, complex world that can comfortably accommodate more than one kind of story. In that regard, it's kind of like the real world, and to my mind, this distinguishes it (in a good way) from universes like DragonLance and Star Trek, which strike me as more limiting with regard to tone, theme, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  18:16:34  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

We're in the Tolkien phase of the cycle, Jorkens. Alas, I think it's a long cycle (60-70 years), so the next batch of short novels won't probably come out for another 15-20 years...
On the other hand . . .

Hmm... interesting. Maybe the new cycle's getting a good start.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  18:31:17  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard, I think given the sheer books-department throughput that's broadly how things always had to be, and I'm sure that diversity has contributed to the world's wide and durable appeal, just as the specifics of Ed's original and continuing work has. There are times and places where I personally wish authors had been pulled in a little tighter, in others given more lease, but I appreciate how difficult and barely precedented that kind of shared-world brand-editing was.
Go to Top of Page

Kerrigan
Acolyte

Germany
31 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2010 :  10:01:56  Show Profile  Visit Kerrigan's Homepage Send Kerrigan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
quote:

http://www.wychwood.co.uk/new_images/art_lagerboy_halloween_800x.jpg

Actually, i like boths - the old, flowery style (Elminster series, Elaine's novels) and the newer, grittier novels (like Mistshore or House of Serpents). I didn't read many 4e/post/Spellplague novels yet, always wanted to check ot the Blades of the Moonsea-Trilogy..

Edited by - Kerrigan on 16 Oct 2010 10:04:46
Go to Top of Page

Corrupteddragon
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  03:05:33  Show Profile  Visit Corrupteddragon's Homepage Send Corrupteddragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I might be in the minority, but I've never once played a D&D game! I do own every single Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, Dark Sun, Ravenloft, etc novel ever made though! For me I love the novels because of the settings even though I have no knowledge of the game itself and it really isn't required to enjoy the novels. I know the spellplague was a huge deal as far as the game goes, but for the novels, it didn't really bother me. I do find now that even though there are less novels produced per year in the settings ( RIP Dragonlance novels) that the quality of the writing is much higher now.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  06:58:49  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a bit mind-boggling how the Realms still survive in spite of the fact that A LOT (or is it really a lot or just a teensy-weensy number?) of old fans shun the 4E novels. I'm not sure if I can call myself an old Realms fan, for I have been exploring this marvelous world for only three years now, but I read quite several novels – in different editions! While 4E is not my favorite, and SP perhaps the worst RSE ever, I nevertheless find * many * things I like in the current edition. Besides, the Realms' great writers, His Royal Highnesses Ed, Richard LB, Paul, Bob, and Steven and Her Royal Majesty Elaine are still around and are far from letting us down with their books.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 20 Oct 2010 06:59:59
Go to Top of Page

Pazuzu
Seeker

Germany
61 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  08:19:35  Show Profile Send Pazuzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to admit that I haven't read a 4th Edition novel yet, but since years the novels are not translated anymore. Furthermore, I don't have so much time, so I'm in a little delay. I just read "The Twilight War" and "The Last Mythal" triologies (which are "new" for me) and I have to say I like it! I really look forward to read some new novels as well.

For the spellplague thing: I currently run a campaign including Cormyr: Tearing of the Weave and the rest of that :-D and I think I will explain at least my group more detailed what happened after these events and how it comes to the spellplague. Maybe I even find a new Mystra in my campaign (if Ed doesn't do it earlier :-D )

May your dice obey your will. - Gary Gygax (*1938 - †2008)
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  08:35:34  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've read a few 4e novels (Empyrean Odyssey and Blackstaff Tower) but I don't have an opinion to give in the survey. Not read enough.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  08:47:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find nothing good in Empyrean Odyssey. Not even the resurrection of my favorite character, Pharaun. Sadly, everything in that trilogy (for me) is a mess. One reason I understand why some Realms fans avoid many post-SP books; but not enough reason to understand why some avoid ALL the novels.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  15:04:39  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

It's a bit mind-boggling how the Realms still survive in spite of the fact that A LOT (or is it really a lot or just a teensy-weensy number?) of old fans shun the 4E novels.
Do they, though? There are some very vocal 4e opponents on these boards and others who refuse to purchase any WotC products, sourcebook or novel, but I think the novels are still selling well, or at least well enough to justify their continued existence.

To my mind, it just comes down to what you like and what you don't. Read what you like, don't read what you don't like. Simple!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  02:16:23  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It's a bit mind-boggling how the Realms still survive in spite of the fact that A LOT (or is it really a lot or just a teensy-weensy number?) of old fans shun the 4E novels.

There are some very vocal 4e opponents on these boards and others who refuse to purchase any WotC products, sourcebook or novel, but I think the novels are still selling well, or at least well enough to justify their continued existence.

That's good news.

quote:

To my mind, it just comes down to what you like and what you don't. Read what you like, don't read what you don't like. Simple!

Indeed. It's just like eating a salad prepared by someone else. You pick and eat what you like, and leave what you don't.

Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  21:05:37  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Do they, though? There are some very vocal 4e opponents on these boards and others who refuse to purchase any WotC products, sourcebook or novel, but I think the novels are still selling well, or at least well enough to justify their continued existence.

Cheers

This. I´ve found myself most pleasently surprised by some of the "newer" novels (as I´ve stated before). The whole "Waterdeep"-Series was fantastic, both of Richard Lee Byers´books set post-spellplague were awesome reads and I also found Mel Odom´s "Wrath of the Blue Lady" to be a great book. Furthermore "Realms of the Dead" had some great stories.But, and that may just be the snag to this whole "Post Blue Fire Book Debate" (at least for me), I have found those books to have a completely different feel from the others (say the rest of the Wilds-Series or Cordell´s novels).
And hey, I´m not saying all older FR novels were gold, but I could relate most of them to the setting I loved (yada), which I believe now some people simply find very difficult to do.

If the first "4E"-novel I had read, would have been one of Cordell´s or the Empyrean Odyssey, admittedly, I would have lost a lot of faith in the franchise. And I read a LOT, so I could well imagine people that are more into FR from a "playing and picking up the novels for that reason" perspective being thrown off rather quickly.
I would have just liked to see some more attempts at breaching what happened inside of some novels (like the final part of Richard´s last trilogy did nicely) and I know quite a few people who simply hated the way a lot of it was shown in the Empyrean Odyssey trilogy.

Therefore I believe that the good new novels may have a harder task in winning some people over or simply getting read by some. Which is a pity, because there are some great novels there, wherefore I´m happy to hear that they are selling alright, because, especially for those of us that do not play in the setting, good new FR novels are actually the saving grace when it comes to a FR fix.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  21:21:35  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dart Ambermoon

quote:

Cheers

This. I´ve found myself most pleasently surprised by some of the "newer" novels (as I´ve stated before). The whole "Waterdeep"-Series was fantastic, both of Richard Lee Byers´books set post-spellplague were awesome reads and I also found Mel Odom´s "Wrath of the Blue Lady" to be a great book. Furthermore "Realms of the Dead" had some great stories.But, and that may just be the snag to this whole "Post Blue Fire Book Debate" (at least for me), I have found those books to have a completely different feel from the others (say the rest of the Wilds-Series or Cordell´s novels).
And hey, I´m not saying all older FR novels were gold, but I could relate most of them to the setting I loved (yada), which I believe now some people simply find very difficult to do.

If the first "4E"-novel I had read, would have been one of Cordell´s or the Empyrean Odyssey, admittedly, I would have lost a lot of faith in the franchise. And I read a LOT, so I could well imagine people that are more into FR from a "playing and picking up the novels for that reason" perspective being thrown off rather quickly.
I would have just liked to see some more attempts at breaching what happened inside of some novels (like the final part of Richard´s last trilogy did nicely) and I know quite a few people who simply hated the way a lot of it was shown in the Empyrean Odyssey trilogy.

Therefore I believe that the good new novels may have a harder task in winning some people over or simply getting read by some. Which is a pity, because there are some great novels there, wherefore I´m happy to hear that they are selling alright, because, especially for those of us that do not play in the setting, good new FR novels are actually the saving grace when it comes to a FR fix.

Not everyone is as open-minded as we are. They have reasons, true. But to dislike 'the whole, or everything' just because 'one huge thing' besmirched it is a view that never applies to me. There's always something good in what is generally considered bad if we look a little bit closer. A comparison: I once almost lost faith in Magic: The Gathering novels. The quality really deteriorated at some point in time. Yet lately there's salvation. And I wouldn't have known about it had I not bothered to read the books.

Edited by - Dennis on 21 Oct 2010 21:51:52
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  22:46:47  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not everyone is as open-minded as we are.

If someone has valid reasons for not enjoying post-Spellplague FR novels they're not open-minded? Come again?

For instance if I enjoy cheeseburgers but my favorite restaurant suddenly only offers them with mango mayo on top, all preprepaired so that it's hard to take the mayo off, I might try it once but if I really truly don't like it and stop eating there because of that, choosing instead to go to other restaurants that don't have mango mayo on their cheeseburgers by default, it doesn't make me close-minded.

If you didn't intend for that to come off as an insult, please correct me.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.

Edited by - Shemmy on 21 Oct 2010 23:29:54
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  23:17:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shemmy

quote:

Not everyone is as open-minded as we are.

If someone has valid reasons for not enjoying post-Spellplague FR novels they're not open-minded? Come again?

For instance if I enjoy cheeseburgers but my favorite restaurant suddenly only offers them with mango mayo on top, all preprepaired so that it's hard to take the mayo off, I might try it once but if I really truly don't like it and stop eating there because of that, choosing instead to go to other restaurants that don't have mango mayo on their cheeseburgers by default, it doesn't make me close-minded.

I know where this is heading, so I'll 'pretend' I am ignoring this...To paraphrase James Clemens, 'some things are best left unsaid.'

Edited by - Dennis on 21 Oct 2010 23:58:32
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2010 :  03:20:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, so we're leaning in the direction of "if you don't prefer this era of Realmslore, then you're not a fan of the setting". And do we really want to walk that path yet again?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000