Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 WotC Novel Survey
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  23:10:14  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So WotC has posted a novel survey on their main D&D site (www.wizards.com/dnd).

The link to the survey is on the right, about a third or halfway down. Mostly, the questions are about your buying habits as regards the novels, and it offers you a chance to post other comments near the end of the survey. Even if you don't actively buy the novels these days, this is still a great opportunity to tell them what you want.

Please go fill the survey out! It may mean a great deal for the novel lines.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  23:58:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I told them what I want. I am not hopeful, though, that my opinion will matter for anything.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  01:40:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's an interesting survey. It seems like it's inclined more toward just how we'd read/purchase D&D-related novels and such.

Still, I'm intrigued to see what may come of this. [Though it was hard answering specifically about DRAGONLANCE novels, since so few new works have been released in the last year .]

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  02:15:27  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I took the sur-

AAAGGH!!! Sage changed his icon! Geez, gotten used to the old one.

Anyway, I took the survey not knowing if they'll respond to it the way I hope, but looking at the fact that they have made a lot of changes recently (Essentials, new FR Sourcebook), they just may be listening.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  04:03:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

AAAGGH!!! Sage changed his icon! Geez, gotten used to the old one.
Sorry Ashe.

If it helps you at all, I've recently been re-reading some old Chameleon appearances from Amazing Spider-Man. So there is some method to my madness!

Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  04:08:58  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yay, I can tell them what I'm not interested in and find it thoroughly ignored. Might as well say it anyway, because I can't complain about future changes if I don't.

Rants and reviews that interest no one may be found here.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  14:15:09  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Unfortunately, 'tis already closed...

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  15:16:09  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that was fast.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  15:26:15  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I didn't see this. What kind of questions were they asking?
Go to Top of Page

Ananta
Acolyte

Finland
22 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  15:47:37  Show Profile  Visit Ananta's Homepage Send Ananta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Well, that was fast.

Cheers

Maybe they didn't like the answers they were receiving :D
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  15:52:21  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

I didn't see this. What kind of questions were they asking?

How many books do you read in a year?
How many books have you purchased in a year?
How many D&D novels have you purchased in a year?
Do you read e-books?
Do you buy e-books?
What do you read e-books on?
What series of D&D books do you read? (DL, FR, Eberron, etc.)

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  17:02:34  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ashe: Thanks for the info.

The answers to the questions strike me as partly redundant with what WotC already knows from its sales figures. But I guess somebody had his reasons for asking.
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  19:25:04  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aaaand already closed.

That's wierd. How big of a sample size are you going to get in like 24 hours to be sure that you're getting a decent sample size, and a sampling that's relevant?

I would have liked to tell them why in detail I've stopped buying WotC D&D novels (and realistic ways how they could regain my business). Oh well.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  19:36:49  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Ashe: Thanks for the info.

The answers to the questions strike me as partly redundant with what WotC already knows from its sales figures. But I guess somebody had his reasons for asking.

I thought at least one question had to deal with which campaign settings you read novels set in, in relation to the ones you play in. I would guess, that part of the goal was to see how much crossover between novel and RPG fans as well as which setting has the highest or lowest levels of crossover. Also, how spread out the fan base is (Do FR readers typically also read Dragonlance, etc) to get an idea of how many customers they actually have instead of only knowing how many books are sold. That would be my guess as to the point of the questions.

Either that or it was all just a set up for last question to see what the biggest issues are to novel readers at the moment. It was nice to see a survey though. I also buy LEGO products and they have surverys with reasonable frequency and their products reflect that they do listen to their customers desires. Hopefully WotC is taking a similar approach (though I honestly don't have a ton of complaints at the moment, but I know a number of other people aren't satisfied with the present state of affairs).

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  21:27:28  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just put up the ones I could remember off the top of my head.

Edit: And a pox on you for mentioning LEGO. Those fiends have put out so much fun stuff the last few years, it's cut into my RPG budget (although, not really, since I'm using LEGOs for my games...).

Ashe's Character Sheet

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 11 Oct 2010 21:29:18
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  00:13:49  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

I just put up the ones I could remember off the top of my head.

Edit: And a pox on you for mentioning LEGO. Those fiends have put out so much fun stuff the last few years, it's cut into my RPG budget (although, not really, since I'm using LEGOs for my games...).

I've spent quite a bit on LEGO in the last 3 years or so. I wish other companies would follow their example and take a more active role in listening to their customers. That's not aimed at WotC, but a lot of companies in general. As an example, I believe if LEGO were producing FR books through some bizarre chain of events, we would have books detailing the Manshoon Wars (or the Spellplague, or Cormyr Lineage,etc) by now.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  00:42:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have several Lego minifigs on my desk at work.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  01:08:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Heh. My LEGO Summoner holds pride of place in the toy collection on my work desktop.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  02:35:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Heh. My LEGO Summoner holds pride of place in the toy collection on my work desktop.

I have a Lego Spartan, Disco guy, zombie, vampire, and crash test dummy on my desk -- all from the recent Collectibles line.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  06:43:51  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shemmy

I would have liked to tell them why in detail I've stopped buying WotC D&D novels (and realistic ways how they could regain my business). Oh well.
Out of curiosity, what *are* some realistic ways they could regain your business?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  06:59:49  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Out of curiosity, what *are* some realistic ways they could regain your business?

Cheers

Well a lot of the reason I've stopped reading FR novels has to do with no longer playing in the Realms, and that's largely due to being rather unhappy with the state of the Realms post-Spellplague.

One way to get my business back would be to write a novel or novels set prior to the Spellplague. If a novel is set in a historical period neither touched nor influenced by the 4e setting changes, my enjoyment isn't going to be hurt by elements I have a real dislike for. It's a shame that there are some good authors that I've enjoyed in the past but who I'm not following at the moment because they're writing for something I'm just not interested in.

It won't change the reasons I'm no longer playing in FR, but it's a very realistic way to get my $ on an FR novel moving forward. I went from buying every FR novel during the 3e era (still have some to finish reading still) to buying nothing once 4e hit. A retcon isn't realistic at all, but there's still the one way to get me back for some novels.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

Ananta
Acolyte

Finland
22 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  10:42:00  Show Profile  Visit Ananta's Homepage Send Ananta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Cheers

Well a lot of the reason I've stopped reading FR novels has to do with no longer playing in the Realms, and that's largely due to being rather unhappy with the state of the Realms post-Spellplague.

One way to get my business back would be to write a novel or novels set prior to the Spellplague. If a novel is set in a historical period neither touched nor influenced by the 4e setting changes, my enjoyment isn't going to be hurt by elements I have a real dislike for. It's a shame that there are some good authors that I've enjoyed in the past but who I'm not following at the moment because they're writing for something I'm just not interested in.

It won't change the reasons I'm no longer playing in FR, but it's a very realistic way to get my $ on an FR novel moving forward. I went from buying every FR novel during the 3e era (still have some to finish reading still) to buying nothing once 4e hit. A retcon isn't realistic at all, but there's still the one way to get me back for some novels.

Yeah, Spellplague sorta turned me off too. I hate the whole thing.
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  12:51:02  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Aaaand already closed.

That's wierd. How big of a sample size are you going to get in like 24 hours to be sure that you're getting a decent sample size, and a sampling that's relevant?

I was ignoring this thread because I already participated in this survey. Which I believe was on October 7th since that was the day I turned in D&D Encounter results.

So, I’m sure the sample size is bigger than two people.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  17:04:09  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, that's more or less what I thought you'd say. I don't know of any plans to do pre-Spellplague novels (though I know that quite a few of the novels showing up, including my own, are heavily influenced by pre-Spellplague events and feature numerous pre-Spellplague characters), but that's only at the moment. Who knows what may happen in the future?

For the record, I personally would love to see that. But then, I would love to see more Realms novels period, so hey.

For what it's worth, I don't think novel-wise the 4e novels are all that different from the 3e (or before) novels. Sure, some changes happened in the Realms, but I find the tone of the novels remarkably consistent from before the edition change. (That is, of course, my professional opinion, which you by no means have to share. )

Have you read many of the post-Spellplague novels? Some are better about it than others.

Cheers

P.S. Also, saying "I don't read 4e FR novels, but I would read FR novels that didn't have anything to do with the spellplague" is a little bit like saying "I'm not interested in the Expanded Star Wars Universe novels, but if you go back to releasing movies like the original three, I'll certainly give you my business."

To paraphrase Ed on the subject, for better or worse, IPs have to grow, and they have to embrace their own change, sometimes in ways people don't like. I'm sorry it doesn't work better for you!

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 12 Oct 2010 17:09:16
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  17:15:54  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

For what it's worth, I don't think novel-wise the 4e novels are all that different from the 3e (or before) novels. Sure, some changes happened in the Realms, but I find the tone of the novels remarkably consistent from before the edition change. (That is, of course, my professional opinion, which you by no means have to share. )

Cheers

Not to sidetrack this. Do you see the same consistency throughout all the edition changes? To me there is a very different style to the TSR novels than those that came later. The 3d to 4th edition books might follow the same consistency, but how do you think that style compares to the older books? To me it feels like there is a clear divide. I am not saying that the older novels are better, in many cases the newer books are better written (although I have found that I prefer the older novels), but I think there is a very different feel to them. Simpler in a way and maybe a bit slower. Its difficult for me to put my finger exactly on what though.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  17:25:50  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In answer to Jorkens, I do notice a difference in some of the older versus newer novels. It may be just a perceived change, but I felt the old novels didn't care so much about the "rules" of D&D as the newer ones do. I'm not saying that you (Erik) or any of the other authors "stat-out" characters before writing, but many of the Young Dragons have grown up in RPGs, so the mindset might be different.

Also, I'm not saying either is better or worse, I like them both.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  18:49:03  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
P.S. Also, saying "I don't read 4e FR novels, but I would read FR novels that didn't have anything to do with the spellplague" is a little bit like saying "I'm not interested in the Expanded Star Wars Universe novels, but if you go back to releasing movies like the original three, I'll certainly give you my business."

To paraphrase Ed on the subject, for better or worse, IPs have to grow, and they have to embrace their own change, sometimes in ways people don't like. I'm sorry it doesn't work better for you!

Oh I've tried to read several of the 4e novels, I just couldn't get into the story and characters. There was far too much of a stumbling block with the use of the 4e FR setting changes, and it didn't hold my interest.

As for settings and IPs growing, yes that's true. But there's a vast gulf between constructive change and abrupt, -de-structive change. AFAIK the Star Wars expanded universe has expanded things greatly, but I can only imagine the outcry if for instance it introduced a plotline that decimated the jedi, or killed all wookies, and future books were mandated to include those things. That's not drawing any direct parallels to any 3e to 4e FR changes, but a lot of folks (myself included) found far more destructive change than innovations and new material.

It's finding a balancing point I suppose where you keep a setting moving forward without moving things too quickly, too fast, and alienating a large portion of your readers. What that pace is exactly is a matter of personal taste. Some will wholly embrace it, others will move on to other things and you have to live with the financial impact thereof which determines in one metric at least if you've done the right thing. I can only wish WotC the best of luck there, but it may be done entirely without me, where I spent quite a bit during the 3.x era.

It's a shame for me, because I've enjoyed your work (Fox at Twilight was awesome), and I hope to continue to enjoy it in the future. Still, I might have to constrain myself to stuff written for other shared worlds or independant works, because while your writing is great, I can't find interest in post-Spellplague FR.

PS. Do you know who will be doing the editing for novels in the future? Any names that might be recognizable?

PPS. My notion to read post-Spellplague material is also impacted by some other things, including but not limited to: a large backlog of non-gaming novels to read, day job stuff going for publication, my own freelancing increasingly taking up much of my time, and not being single which obliterates your free time (albeit in a very good way).

Edited by - Shemmy on 12 Oct 2010 19:01:40
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  18:56:32  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In response to Shemmy's reluctance to reading post-Spellplague novels, I know some Star Wars stopped reading the EU novels after the Yuuzhan Vong invasion, then some other stopped after the Legacy novels came out where Jacen Solo goes to the Dark Side.

To (mis)quote Abe, "You can please all the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time, but you can't please all the people all of the time."

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2010 :  23:19:56  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Shemmy, obviously you've got to read what you want to read, so don't let it seem like I'm trying to push you to read something you don't want to read. I would hesitate to apply the dislike of one or two FR novels to *all* FR novels, but there's only so many novels you can read before you start seeing a pattern. So be very choosy about what you read.

The Spellplague can be a big stumbling block for readers who don't like the concept, but I think its significance in FR is kinda overstated and overhyped (largely by marketing and by its detractors). I think 4e FR novels are perfectly enjoyable completely ignoring the Spellplague elements. One can read through my novel, Downshadow, and just think of the spellscars as terrible curses (nothing new to fantasy readers).

As for my work, well, Fox-at-Twilight is still around, as are a number of pre-4e FR plot elements/characters whose stories have yet to finish.

On the subject of old-school TSR vs. WotC novels: you know, I've read a lot of both, and there is a pretty serious difference, but it's mostly the sort of difference I see between eras of fantasy writing in general. I think modern fantasy writing is sharper, grittier, and less flowery than it used to be.

Also, I think it's less about the company putting out the novels and more about the game to which the novels are expected to conform. Compared to 3e and 4e, the TSR versions of D&D (1e and 2e) were amazingly freeform. You didn't have rules for slick moves in combat--it was all your imagination. Now, we have things like feats, skill points, and (eventually) attack powers. Not that that's bad, it's just different.

Cheers

Re: P.S. No, I haven't the faintest idea who's going to be the new FR Editor. Only time will tell.

If you know people with those skills who know D&D and the FR, encourage them to apply for the open position (assuming it's still open).

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  08:53:10  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

On the subject of old-school TSR vs. WotC novels: you know, I've read a lot of both, and there is a pretty serious difference, but it's mostly the sort of difference I see between eras of fantasy writing in general. I think modern fantasy writing is sharper, grittier, and less flowery than it used to be.

Also, I think it's less about the company putting out the novels and more about the game to which the novels are expected to conform. Compared to 3e and 4e, the TSR versions of D&D (1e and 2e) were amazingly freeform. You didn't have rules for slick moves in combat--it was all your imagination. Now, we have things like feats, skill points, and (eventually) attack powers. Not that that's bad, it's just different.

Cheers

Thanks Erik. It is actually interesting, as the TSR era came right after the death (or hibernation if you will) of the old Sword & Sorcery stories such as the 2nd Conan wave, Lin Carter, early Moorcock, Leiber, Vance etc which were often grittier and slightly amoral, but with a strong element of satire. These elements were also pretty common in the early days of the 1st edition game. Maybe the next change will be for Realms novels to be more flowery again.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  16:21:08  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good point about the cyclical nature of the genre/industry, which is reflective of trends in the broader society. Every generation is sort of a reaction against the previous generation--sometimes we get innovation, and sometimes we get people wearing bell-bottoms again.

quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Maybe the next change will be for Realms novels to be more flowery again.
Well, not to denigrate the old school novels, but I personally hope that doesn't happen! I like my darkness too much.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000