Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Harry Potter in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Jelennet
Learned Scribe

Russia
131 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  07:22:48  Show Profile Send Jelennet a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Mods, if you think that it is not the right place for this question just remove it...
Books about Harry Potter are very famous. I am not a big fan of them, but I'm still curious. Imagine that Harry was born in the Realms. Would he become a wizard or a sorceror? One the one hand kids in Harry Potter have an inborn talent for magic like sorcerors. On the other hand they study magic like wizards.
And what would be Harry's level in the Realms? And what would be Dumbledore's level in the Realms?

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  07:24:43  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I think Dumbledore's already IN the Realms. He's called Elminster there.... :P

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  07:26:03  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think he would live in Amn, where he would have a hard time with the hatred of the folk to the arcane art. And the family of his would be real hell.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Jelennet
Learned Scribe

Russia
131 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  07:27:42  Show Profile Send Jelennet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Hmm, I think Dumbledore's already IN the Realms. He's called Elminster there.... :P

How can that be?!! You mean that Elminster is GAY?!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  07:28:52  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We are not sure about this.

I mean, he is pretty wacky...

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.

Edited by - Sill Alias on 10 Oct 2010 07:29:35
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  07:29:57  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol. No, it was just a joke. And I don't think Dumbledore is actually gay. The ACTOR, maybe, but I never got that vibe about the character.

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Lord of Bones
Seeker

United Kingdom
78 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  07:58:23  Show Profile  Visit Lord of Bones's Homepage Send Lord of Bones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Lol. No, it was just a joke. And I don't think Dumbledore is actually gay. The ACTOR, maybe, but I never got that vibe about the character.

No, no. Dumbledore is gay. It's not a terribly important plot point, but it serves to widen the spectrum of character 'types' in Rowling's books for him to have been in a gay relationship with ta wizard by the name of Grindelwald, mentioned in the final book. The one he's forced to end up fighting and ends up locked in some tower somewhere offshore (it's been a while since I read them, so I may have got some details wrong). Rowling has confirmed this herself at a Q&A.

Come watch the Gentleman's Guide to Gaming!
http://www.youtube.com/user/clackclickbang

On my channel I review and dissect role-playing games with great gusto. Please do take a look and let me know what you think.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  08:11:28  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
J.K Rowling publicly ANNOUNCED that Dumbledore is indeed GAY. He was in love with his best friend. And El might be gay, if his short existence as Elmara be the basis. But he's madly in love with the Simbul and flirts with several women. So maybe he's bi. Doesn't really matter...well, at least to me.

To the OP, I think Harry would be a sorcerer – a learned sorcerer, that is. He'd shown magical ability even before he got to Hogwarts. Remember that scence with the snake in book 1? 'Learned' I say because he'd be formally taught by or apprenticed to a senior wizard/sorcerer in Cormyr, Sembia, or Waterdeep – maybe by the Blackstaff himself.

Level? Maybe somewhere near Galaeron Nihmedu's (sp?), that annoying elf in RotA. And Dumbledore's level would be like Vangey's.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Jelennet
Learned Scribe

Russia
131 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  08:19:00  Show Profile Send Jelennet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who is Vangey?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  08:20:44  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a tidbit about him:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Vangerdahast

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  09:28:06  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jelennet

Who is Vangey?

Vangerdahast, court wizard of Cormyr, former pupil of Elminster's; and a more scheming, meddling old man you'll never find.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page

Saxmilian
Learned Scribe

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  14:22:17  Show Profile  Visit Saxmilian's Homepage Send Saxmilian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well alot of the spells from the Potter series are generally low(er) level. Disarm, Knock, Levitate, mending. Power Word Kill is a biggie, though in Goblet of Fire the teacher says "now you (kids) can say it all day long and you wont so much as make someone ill" (paraphrase'd) so obviously is a good-aligned spellcaster region. Teleportation (Apperate in the series)dont happen (by law)until a wizard reaches the age of 18.
I figure Harry (and his friends) are level 1 Sorcerer in the beginiing of the series and quickly play out 5-8 by most of the movies. In the final books (or for the unrelesed movies for those who dont read) they'd hit about 12-13th level.
Wands in HP would replace the need for Spell Components (more like a universal spell component focus) and provide a Caster Level bonus of 1-2 (Harrys wand was 'special' and I'd say provided a +1 Caster Level. Rons which was damaged a -1 CL or at least spell failure)
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  14:35:24  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Michael Gambon (Dumbledore 2.0) is not gay, nor was Richard Harris (Dumbledore 1.0), though the character is. You may be mistaken with Sir Ian McKellen (Gandalf), who IS gay. As far as I now, Gandalf (the character) is not.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  16:12:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WHY, exactly, do the sexual preferences of a character have any bearing on this discussion?

I find it inappropriate (for the topic at-hand).

Anyhow, big Harry Potter fan here. If you were to place Hogwarts I would say Moonshaes would make the best fit (although still far from perfect), with Cormyr being a pretty good home for Beauxbatons Academy, and somewhere around Narfell for the Durmstrang Institute. Swapping the Cormyr/Moonshaes ones would be okay - I am just going by the 'vibe' of those FR nations for their earthly counterparts. The Durmstrang Institute could even be placed in Sossal. Silverymoon would also make a great home for Beauxbatons.

And of course Halruua (pre-plague) for all three.

Their magic needs an overhaul - not much logic to it and converting it to rules would be hard. Obviously NOT Vancian - more fatigue-based (point system or even 4e's powers).

Harry would be a Sorcerer with levels of Wizard (natural talent combined with schooling). Very few Sorcerers in the Rawlings universe, except for magical creatures.

I like the whole 'wand thing', but that would also have to be better defined within the rules. Wizards NEED wands, but Harry has cast magic without one.

Dumbledore is the equivalent of Merlin/Gandalf, not Elminster. Elminster is too epic - Dumbledore's abilities were more restrained. However, like Harry, he does appear to posses some natural talent (psionics?) that goes beyond what most Wizards learn from books (so in that regard, he would be like El, but conforming more to the low-magic nature of the Rawlingverse).

Serevis Snape is the most interesting character. While I found him cliche' in the earlier books, he became very complex (and therefore interesting) as the series matured. He would probably be a Chosen of Mystra in FR.

Voldemort is also a cliche', but given that the novels work in reverse - with the Dark Lord having very little power at first - it works. The twist on the character saves it from being too 'tropey'. Not many bad guys start off dead and are trying to make it back (except maybe Chucky).

Gotta love the train - I have had an obsession with Choo-choo's since I was a child, and any setting with a train is awesome. The Realms needs one of those! The only reson why the Dwarves and Imaskari never built a railroad is because portals made it redundant.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Oct 2010 15:07:28
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  16:18:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

WHY, exactly, do the sexual preferences of a character have any bearing on this discussion?

I find it inappropriate (for the topic at-hand).
I'm inclined to agree. I think this subject is somewhat outside the scope of this discussion.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Acolyte Thirteen
Seeker

93 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  17:35:51  Show Profile  Visit Acolyte Thirteen's Homepage Send Acolyte Thirteen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder about Elminster's orientation...
Should a new 'scroll' be started for this, to avoid 'scroll-drift'?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  18:15:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why would you need to wonder? There's never really been anything definitive in the lore to suggest that might be a possibility.

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  18:45:37  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made a character based on Severus Snape. He was... let me check...
Here it is! "CR 17, NE male human werebat Wiz10/Halruaan elder 5", the werebat part coming of course from the rumors around Hogwarts

So any other character of HP series I would be putting in Halruaa too. Everpresent magic, schools of magic, nobody wonders. The teachers would be 15-18 level, with Halruaan elder thrown in, or maybe loremaster. The students would be up to 10th level. All wizards, of course.

Harry of course would come from a more secluded part of Halruaa, with his aunt and uncle not having the Art and thus being excluded from the mainstream social life at Halarahh and Halathorm (sp). Similar situation with Hermione, but her parents would take it better. Ron would come from the outskirts of Halarahh, a not-so-wealthy family but all gifted with the Art (Mr. Weasley having ~14 levels in a Wizard, no Halruaan Elder).

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  19:38:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Considering Elminster has been a female for an extended period, at least on one occasion we know of, and given the fact that he can change shape at will, and has lived amongst Elves - who do not even understand the human concept of 'sexual preference' - I would say that Elminster's orientation is NOT in question. Also consider the 'boredom factor' involved in being a thousand years old (people in the entertainment industry get the 'itch' after only a few years).

Also consider the Realms aren't Earth, and our own moires do not apply here: Very few Faerunian cultures frown upon such things.

Ed doesn't need to say it - that would be.... hand-tying... for want of a better way of putting it. It is a given, and needn't be discussed, simply because it is a non-issue.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Oct 2010 19:39:03
Go to Top of Page

Acolyte Thirteen
Seeker

93 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  00:03:33  Show Profile  Visit Acolyte Thirteen's Homepage Send Acolyte Thirteen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right, Markustay! Well said! I would also add, Uncle El has drifted across the 'specie-barrier' as well, in the Lore! But yeah, maybe it's no good for me to be Eminster bi-curious!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  01:08:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Considering Elminster has been a female for an extended period, at least on one occasion we know of, and given the fact that he can change shape at will, and has lived amongst Elves - who do not even understand the human concept of 'sexual preference' - I would say that Elminster's orientation is NOT in question.
Indeed. And I recall past commentary from Ed also supporting this.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2010 :  03:18:07  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. Okay, i was unaware of Dumbledore's, ah, tnedencies, if you will. I have only read up to the last two books, so I never got as far as that. And wasn't he dead by then, anyway? He got killed at the end of Half-Blood Prince, So how is he even in the last book? Or do I need to wait for the movie to find out? I'd say he's close to level 18 or so, with Harry and friends all being around 14/15 at that point. As for Elminster, even as a woman, he still had very much a male's POV (Sorry, born one- gonna make a difference, regardless of his current gender at the time.) So I really don't think he could be considered "gay" even as a woman. He still went for the ladies. Anywho, what about Tethyr for a base? Or Luskan? Seems like a good place for them- they have/had the Tower, yet magic generally is not liked there. The perfect setting for wizardly "outsiders"- and remember, the wizarding society was most definitely on the outskirts of the rest of society in the HP books.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  09:19:03  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some factors to consider -
- Harry Potter's world might be, in D&D terms, a "low magic" setting. Possible caps on max spell levels, possible additional "casting cost" to the spellcaster, less spells and magic stuff available in the world.
- Wands might simply be a required material/somatic component for all spells, can't (normally) cast any of these spells without one. The apparent quality of wands (Harry vs Ron, for instance) is possibly more a function of the spellcaster's (in)competence than the wand itself, though perhaps different wands might grant bonuses to certain skills or feats when used by someone "compatible"?
- Many effects normally attributed to D&D spells are apparently not possible, whereas others might be "cast" in entirely different ways (alchemy, shapeshifting, etc).
- Semi-sentient flying cars, time travel trinkets, and talking paintings suggests that magic items are plentiful, though perhaps usually disguised as mundane items.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  11:47:43  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AHHH please don't ruin the realms by mentioning Harry Potter along with it....yuck!!!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  13:37:08  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
banish him to Eberron, together with the chu-chu trains

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  15:36:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think of wands as a 'foci', which there were rules for somewhere in 3e. A personal magical device linked to its creator/user and which grants certain magical bonuses (in a point-based system, it would allow you to cast spells at a lower cost).

Within the Vancian System, using it a an 'all-purpose' magic component works fairly well.

In the Rawlingverse, spells can only be performed by magical creatures, ergo the logic is that a wand - made of components of magical creatures - allows a normally non-magical human to use magic.

Over time, certain 'bloodlines' (Wizards) attained a level of arcane acuity, and became quasi-magical creatures themselves. However, normal humans occasionally develop the talent, and some of ancient Wizard bloodlines do not, thus establishing that there is a 'magic gene' within Rawlings' alternate Earth.

It is a given that only persons of Wizard blood can see magical creatures, but this rule is broken numerous times. Normal humans can be affected by magical creatures without being able to see them. This establishes that there is some sort of 'Border Ethereal' Plane that magical creatures dwell within, and wizards can see-into and interact with.

quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

AHHH please don't ruin the realms by mentioning Harry Potter along with it....yuck!!!
Yes, the Realms are SO much better...

And I think every single author that has ever written for the Realms wishes they were J.K.Rawlings.

Say what you want, but numbers never lie. If the world she created was so awful, none of us would even know his name.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  16:12:27  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
And I think every single author that has ever written for the Realms wishes they were J.K.Rawlings.

Say what you want, but numbers never lie. If the world she created was so awful, none of us would even know his name.

Well they might wish they had J.K.'s success....but hey it is awful...numbers don't lie....lots of people have bad taste

(I am of course just stating that I personally don't like the Harry Potter stuff - I even get angry at people when they say its like Lord of the Rings )

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  16:33:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NO, its NOT like LotR.

Is more like Narnia, which is also aimed at 'Young Adults' (and yet has a massive adult fanbase).

However, The Hobbit was written in a somewhat different style then Tolkien's other works, so it could be lumped-in with that story.

Say what you want - it may not be 'literature', but a good yarn is a good yarn. Hot Wings aren't gourmet either, but people luv 'em just the same.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  17:07:45  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

However, The Hobbit was written in a somewhat different style then Tolkien's other works, so it could be lumped-in with that story.

This I can say I read twice and enjoyed despite the obviousness that it is written for children (I think Snow White and the Seven Dwarves ripped off of this a bit) lol.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  17:09:24  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hot Wings aren't gourmet either, but people luv 'em just the same.

Hmmm, good metaphor that works for me. Especially Suicide Wings. They are like Harry Potter. Some people love them, but for the life of me I just can't understand why - they both make me cry

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  17:11:33  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alisttair, not to nit-pick, but the story of Snow White has been around since LONG before Tolkien was alive. It's a fairy tale, and was old even when the Grimm Bros wrote it down. If anything, Tolkien borrowed form IT.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000