Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Favorite Names
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2010 :  03:59:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Do you have any favorite names of FR characters? It doesn't necessarily follow that the characters bearing those names are your favorites as well, for sometimes names just sound nice and even at times provide a tinge of remarkableness to some rather unremarkable characters.

Here are mine:

Laeral, Elminster, Mystryl, Selune, Kelemvor, Lathander, Nevron, and Sylune are all dulcet.

Mystra sounds superhero-ish, a fit name for a Marvel superhero.

Riven, Asmodeus, Rivalen,and Druxus give an impression of toughness. Good thing they live up to their names' implications.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 03 Oct 2010 05:06:46

Brace Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

294 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2010 :  04:02:02  Show Profile  Visit Brace Cormaeril's Homepage Send Brace Cormaeril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

Do you have any favorite names of FR characters? It doesn't necessarily follow that the characters bearing those names are your favorites as well, for sometimes names just sound nice and even at times provide a tinge of remarkableness to some rather unremarkable characters.

Here are mine:

Laeral, Elminster, Mystryl, Selune, Kelemvor, Lathander, Nevron, and Sylune are all dulcet.

Mystra sounds superhero-ish, a fit name for a Marvel superhero.

Riven, Asmodeus, Rivalen,and Druxus give an impression of toughness. Good thing the three characters live up to their names' implications.

Amarune and Aerasume are tight.

Dawntard is kinda' fail.

The Silver Fire's Blade: A Novella in Nine Parts, Available Soon, in the Adventuring Forum!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2010 :  04:07:50  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brace Cormaeril

Amarune and Aerasume are tight.

I'd put them in the first category.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2010 :  10:01:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of my fave character names was the guy who became Bane's avatar in Shadowdale: Trannus Kialton. Too cool a name to waste it on someone who is only around for 10 pages or so!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2010 :  10:41:26  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

One of my fave character names was the guy who became Bane's avatar in Shadowdale: Trannus Kialton. Too cool a name to waste it on someone who is only around for 10 pages or so!

Cool name indeed. Trannus sounds like Brennus and Laxus (not from the Realms, though), which I think are equally cool.

Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2010 :  10:42:26  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kane

I like how Endue Alustriel, Anamanue Laeral, Auril, Mielikki flows, Aznar Thrul is mysterious, Dragonbait

z455t

Edited by - Kno on 01 Oct 2010 10:51:03
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2010 :  11:00:48  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ethena Astorma, Alassra Shentantra, Eresseae Qilue...

Methrammar Aerasume

Krashos Morueme

These have a certain ring to it.

Oh! Laeral Silverhand Arunsun too!

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2010 :  11:27:49  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On every Neverwinter Nights Server I played on I had a Drow Sorcerer named Lesaonar Geltain and a Human Female Monk named Mira Swift, dunno why but I liked them.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2010 :  11:45:00  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

Ethena Astorma, Alassra Shentantra, Eresseae Qilue...

Methrammar Aerasume

Krashos Morueme

These have a certain ring to it.

Oh! Laeral Silverhand Arunsun too!

I can't believe I forgot to mention Alassra in my list.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2010 :  11:47:31  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

On every Neverwinter Nights Server I played on I had a Drow Sorcerer named Lesaonar Geltain and a Human Female Monk named Mira Swift, dunno why but I liked them.

Lesaonar Geltain sounds good. It's like a character in one of the anime series I watched. Certainly not from Fairy Tail, but something akin to it.

Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2010 :  12:17:50  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love my own characters names!

Lynx, my moonelven undeadhunting ranger of Sehanine stands out. A short and iconic name (short for his full elven name Lyquennis Ulanndor).

Quinsareth from Bloodwalk, Delphe from Stardeep and Lendri from "Frostfell" are pretty names.
Erevis Cale, Manshoon, Agnazzar and Gareth Dragonsbane all sound bad-ass.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2010 :  12:30:25  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

Erevis Cale, Manshoon, Agnazzar and Gareth Dragonsbane all sound bad-ass.

I agree on the first two. I intentionally made the topic favorite names only, and not "most favorite and least favorite names" because I know the list will be very, very long. Mine alone would have reached a hundred at least.

Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2010 :  16:17:27  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drasek Riven, Araevin Teshurr, Zaor.. i also think the Starym surname is really good.
As for my own characters, i'm fairly content with my mage Zeltaebar the Fidgety
Go to Top of Page

Ruul
Seeker

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2010 :  16:37:09  Show Profile  Visit Ruul's Homepage Send Ruul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Szass Tam and Jarlaxle

OMG... forgot Valas Hune!

Edited by - Ruul on 01 Oct 2010 16:40:49
Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2010 :  20:26:15  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erevis Cale. Simple, flowing, elegant with a hint of danger. Great name.

Though I have to admit, my favourite (pardon the spelling, I'm Canadian ) Realms character name of all time would be the Lawful Evil Kozakuran Samurai I played years back (using AD&D 1e/2e rules). Rokugo Zeshin. Loved playing that character.

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage

Edited by - ZeshinX on 01 Oct 2010 20:26:58
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2010 :  02:44:58  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the names of most of the Moonflower clan. Amlaruil is such a lovely name! And Arilyn, Lamruil, and Zaor.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2010 :  12:28:58  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Auril, Finder and Cormyr, Telflamm, Ruathym
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2010 :  12:38:56  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

I like Auril, Finder and Cormyr, Telflamm, Ruathym

I agree on Auril. In fact, I used it (with a slight variation, of course) in my book. He's not a god, though; and his powers aren't ice nor air. I just think the cool name fits him.

Edited by - Dennis on 02 Oct 2010 12:40:06
Go to Top of Page

Balduran Lavidah
Seeker

France
83 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2010 :  12:49:25  Show Profile  Visit Balduran Lavidah's Homepage Send Balduran Lavidah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Houlalala ... Un nom à choisir ? Hm ...

Illmater.

Je sais, je choisis une divinité, mais c'est plus le simple ^^

Illmater, c'est son originalité que je trouve intéressant. C'est d'ailleurs le seul dieu qui ne possède pas d'équivalence. La règle d'accepter la souffrance des autres est vraiment unique en son genre.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Houlalala ... Choose a name? Hm ...

Illmater.

I know, I choose a deity, but it's the simple ^ ^

Illmater is its originality that I find interesting. It is also the only god who has no equivalence. The rule to accept the suffering of others is truly unique.

"Le savoir s'apprend. La curiosité forme le savoir."
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2010 :  13:28:19  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Deities' names are okay. What I asked in my OP are favorite names of FR characters. You can even state the names of some liches, orcs, kobolds...

Go to Top of Page

Balduran Lavidah
Seeker

France
83 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2010 :  13:44:45  Show Profile  Visit Balduran Lavidah's Homepage Send Balduran Lavidah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Saemon Avarian. It is a good name ^^

"Le savoir s'apprend. La curiosité forme le savoir."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2010 :  14:26:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any of Ed's characters, really. I love his style with Realms naming conventions... and it's a trend I try to follow when working up NPCs for my Realms.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2010 :  15:09:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Any of Ed's characters, really. I love his style with Realms naming conventions... and it's a trend I try to follow when working up NPCs for my Realms.

I say 90%. There are simply some which are so weird; Manshoon on top of the list. It's like driving away a person: "Man, shoo! Shoo!" Most of course are really nice. The top 3 favorites on my list are all Ed's.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2010 :  17:09:34  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm also rather partial to the name Danilo. It just sounds so much like a bard!! And Khelvan, good strong name. It fits him.

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2010 :  17:25:10  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

I'm also rather partial to the name Danilo. It just sounds so much like a bard!! And Khelvan, good strong name. It fits him.

As you are fond of elves, am I right to assume Khelvan is an elf? I'm not a fan of elves, at least not FR elves. But putting my bias aside, I think Khelvan is a nice name. It sounds like the name of our neighbor's overly friendly Great Dane: Kelvahan, which I like, btw.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2010 :  18:42:39  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oops! I meant Khelban. Typo.... As in Blackstaff. Sorry. That dog's name sounds like it would make a cool PC name. I'm also partial to the name of my drow bard, Lothir. But I could be biased....

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2010 :  18:54:57  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

My neighbor said she got that name from a store that sells dog and cat food in Nigeria. Oh, well, I don't know if she was serious or joking.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2010 :  19:02:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Should we now start mentioning the incredibly ridiculous, or just the author who has created 99% of them?

As for cool names, I'm sorry, but Elminster was the very first to capture my imagination. Just about all of Ed's names are great, but that just screams 'The Realms' (for obvious reasons).

I find 'Shadowsil' very provocative as well.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Oct 2010 20:09:15
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2010 :  19:48:33  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Shadowsil sounds like a name fit for an assassin.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2010 :  05:33:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, I don't know why, but I really like the naming convention of Alias and her sisters. We have names for three of the sisters -- Zhara, Cat, and Jade More. Three of the four named "Alias vessels" (to use the term from the Realms Bestiary, Volumes 1 & 2 by Eric L. Boyd and Thomas M. Costa) have names that are common words. And the fourth may have a name that's a common word, as well -- Zhara is quite close in spelling to an Arabic word that means "star" or "flower".

That's part of the reason that I decided to name the Waterdhavian Alias vessel Sapphire -- I wanted to use that name, and it followed that naming convention.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2010 :  05:40:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never been all that settled on Alias. I mean, it works perfectly for her as a character, but it's not something I used in my games.

Though I loved Zhara, Cat, and Jade [in fact, before the Lady K and I considered naming our little one Narnra, Zhara was among the many possible Realms names we thought about]. I remember naming the fourth construct-vessel in my Realms, though I can't find the notes that include what I called her.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000