Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Previous Zulkirs
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2010 :  18:47:54  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

I've never heard of REALMS-L ... this link?

What is it?
Is there any way to download all of it in a single package, rather than clicking through a thousand htmls?

Yeah, this.
Answers: Mailing list, and no, I'm afraid none.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2010 :  20:39:37  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

quote:

What is it?
Is there any way to download all of it in a single package, rather than clicking through a thousand htmls?

Yeah, this.
Answers: Mailing list, and no, I'm afraid none.

If I remember correctly, it was scribe Sleyvas (who's been active on Candlekeep again, recently), who wrote up unofficial lore for giving the schools of effect (in 2E parlance) a place in the Thayvian power structure; the heads of the schools were not called Zulkirs (and were not equals of them), but were called Aulkirs. I know he wrote it up ages ago (in internet terms) - I once had a copy of it, and integrated it in my general file on Thay, but I have since misplaced the original (though I still have the info in my Thay file).
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2010 :  23:46:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What is it?

The REALMS-L was largely the only place for Realms-discussion in the ancient days of bulletin-boards and archaic internet in the late 90's and early 00's. Once forum messaging systems and online chat rooms gained prominence, the Mailing Lists largely fell by the way-side.

They're still useful, however, especially since they contain a lot of purposeful info from both designers and members. I've tried to save as much as I could from Ed, Steven, Eric, Krash, Tom Costa, and a few others. But it's taken me literally years [and bouts of SageTime] to compose that file. It's nowhere near complete though, since my collection of material has been rather haphazard and non-liner.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2010 :  09:49:48  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am devising a methodical L-BOT golem to automate this arduous link-chasing collection chore. What quantity of lore it might provide is yet a mystery (and had better be limited to less than 4500GB, lol).

Sorting through this phenomenally ungodly mountain is another matter entirely. "Pagerank" styled parsing is somewhat beyond both my patience and ability to craft (and could always be done later, anyhow); I suppose concentrating on the writings of notable personages is the best start, and just chunking through it manually will have to suffice.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 28 Nov 2010 09:53:15
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  13:41:07  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Mythrell'aa's "death" wasn't properly explained. Hardly confirmed. Perhaps just as mysterious as everything else about her. Of course, Illusion = Deception ...

The 'Alliance' needed someone who had more brains and knew Tam better. Dmitra came in handy. How else could she actively join the zulkirs' dance than be a zulkir herself?! Mythrella simply happened to be in the way; and so her 'death' was a necessity. I don't think she's dead, though. She could have been caged in some faraway dungeon only Szass Tam knew of. Or, having grown weary of her fellow zulkirs' endless feud, fled to some distant land where she planned to begin a new life.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  14:34:14  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can a Zulkir retire? Become sort of the Thayan archwizard equivalent of an hierophant druid? (Exciting possibilities...)

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  15:05:44  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Can a Zulkir retire?

Of course. I bet that's what some in the First and Second Zulkirate just did when they suddenly vanished without a trace.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  15:44:55  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably. At least the few who escaped poison, disintegration, and permanent banishing or imprisonment. It's not impossible that now and then a mighty Zulkir gets mobbed down by his lowly slaves ... not like Reds would ever admit such a possibility to the public (or to each other).

I was thinking more along the lines of a Zulkir actually "abandoning the kit", stepping down (one way or another), and moving on. Start walking the planes, dabble in even higher forms of magic, talk to liches, that kinda stuff.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  17:20:46  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Probably. At least the few who escaped poison, disintegration, and permanent banishing or imprisonment. It's not impossible that now and then a mighty Zulkir gets mobbed down by his lowly slaves ... not like Reds would ever admit such a possibility to the public (or to each other).

I was thinking more along the lines of a Zulkir actually "abandoning the kit", stepping down (one way or another), and moving on. Start walking the planes, dabble in even higher forms of magic, talk to liches, that kinda stuff.

Somehow I find that funny. Talking to liches? Hmm, what a motivating factor to retire.

Anyway, there's no zulkir who "actually" abandoned his throne or was reported to have done so. Szass Tam might be the first. That is, if he manages to become a god. What use is a mere realm to him if he will have an entire plane or world of his own?!

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2010 :  09:18:13  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A career of ambitious magic as a Red, culminating in the pinnacle of Zulkirdom. I suppose all the enemies (opponents and underlings), constant treachery, endless political quibbling, assassination attempts, and general half-insane paranoia would eventually begin to lose their delightful charm and become tedious chores which consume valuable time better spent beating slaves and magical library/lab work. A little time set aside for leisurely lich dating can lead to all sorts of enlightening new discoveries vastly beyond the comprehension of the peons. Wizards as a lot are supposed to be inspired by some love for the art; Zulkirs are eminently superb wizards; and liches are wizards who've invented near-immortality to provision their inhuman command of ever more potent and subtle magical art. Szass chatted up Larloch when he wanted to gain knowledge generally unavailable within the confines of Thay.

Zulkir kits/classes can access substantially more power than normal Reds (who can themselves access certain magical powers unavailable to plain vanilla wizards). I wonder if this is the consequence of some sort of secret power ritual, access to a magical font provided by some (enslaved) being, Zulkirs being the focus for a kind of "great circle" arrangement involving all the Reds within the school, or even some sort of power flow resembling divine belief from the lesser ranks.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2010 :  13:21:14  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wizards as a lot are supposed to be inspired by some love for the art; Zulkirs are eminently superb wizards; and liches are wizards who've invented near-immortality to provision their inhuman command of ever more potent and subtle magical art. Szass chatted up Larloch when he wanted to gain knowledge generally unavailable within the confines of Thay.

Other than Larloch, I can't think of no other lich the zulkirs could 'talk' to peacefully. Certainly not Aumvor, unless they want to meet their swift death.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2010 :  13:58:23  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, there's always bribery. Liches must need slaves, gold, magic items, spells, books, information, influence.

And then there's always non-peaceful methods. It's probably possible to dominate a lich somehow (or his phylactery) ... assuming one is capable (ahem, Zulkir), suitably prepared, protected by disposable underlings, and careful to pick the right lich.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000