Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Clandestine Uprising
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Xevo
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2010 :  13:55:46  Show Profile Send Xevo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I invite all DMs to add their two cents. I'm working on an adventure set in Cormyr (2nd/3rd ed.)
Without getting too involved in the history of my Toril, just know that this adventure takes place just after a devastating war which cut the country's population (not just it's military) by about 50%! There are a lot of power vacuums within the nobility and the commonfolk. *For those of you who are history buffs: think of Cormyr as post-black plague Europe.
Anyway, King Azoun V is missing and so is the Court Mage Caladnei. They vanished (evacuated) during the war and have not been seen since. At the beginning of the adventure Alusair Obarskyr will be assassinated (That's how I get the PCs involved).
Now my dilemma: A war hero (Purple Dragon Knight) who has been corrupted by Garguath wants power. Being a Crownsilver, the law forbids him from legitimately becoming king. So, the question is should he try to find another way to become king using some ancient...whatever that would make it difficult for a lawful country to usurp him or should he incite a civil war and try to take as much of Cormyr as he can? If he goes the route of the civil war, how should he go about starting it?
I look forward to any advice or ideas thanks.
The Purple Dragon Knight is a Battlemaster (3 star general) named Terenzio Crownsilver. He was once a paladin of Illmater and in fact he believes he still is. But in truth, he has fallen. This is thanks to his closest friend and advisor, Nayir Tolsten.
Nayir is a priestess/enchanter of Garguath. She really is the devil on Terenzio's shoulder. She is actually a Hellfire Wyrm (which I've allowed to assume human form) and merely wants to have Terenzio in a position of ultimate power so she may continue to pull the strings. She has succeeded in converting Terenzio and Junther to evil, while making them believe they are still working for good.
Junther de Castilla is a War Wizard also drawn in by Nayir. Very little actually causes him to stand out from any other War Wizard other than his womanizing ways and his amazing luck. He and Terenzio became close friends during the war.

The thing is that whatever Terenzio does, he believes it is for the benefit of Cormyr. Personally, I'm leaning toward the idea of a civil war because of Terenzio's belief that the Obarskyr bloodline has become stagnant.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
-Terry Pratchett

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  00:18:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why not combine them? He wants to conquer Cormyr not for himself, but as a Regent, to hold it secure for the eventual return of Azoun V.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  08:25:08  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with the Wooly one. Many "good deeds" start out that way, but quickly become evil. Power is a heady drug and once this palidan gets a taste for it, he wants more. And, if the players find either King Azoun V or Caladnei, they have to make the hard choice to fight the palidan. Heck with the palidan taking this view, you don't even need the Hellfire Wyrm (unless she's crutial to the plot).

Just my two coppers.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  08:37:11  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the idea of the Paladin NOT being corrupt, but also believing in his heart that the Obarskyr family has either abandoned Cormyr or are undeserving of rule for some other reason. The most fun I've ever had is setting up scenarios for the party to decide which GOOD side to be on.

Does your party help restore the Lawful Good King that "abandoned his country to remain safe" or do they side with the Lawful Good Paladin that has held the nation together and wishes the best for Cormyr...even willing to lay down his life for the Kingdom. It would be interesting to see which side of Lawful Good they choose and how the game would play out as both Good armies tore at each other to establish their dominance through their views of what is right and good.

Could be a blast.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  09:01:11  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also enjoy good v. good conflicts and think the situation Dalor Darden outlines would be very plausible. Perhaps if you want the Hellfire Wyrm adviser she can be telling him that this King Azoun is an imposter, allowing him to remain a paladin by fighting for his ideals while still opposing the return of the actual King Azoun to the throne once the country is made safe. This would put the characters who know it is the true Azoun in conflict with War Wizards, Purple Dragons, and other citizens of Cormyr who believe the impostor talk. If that were the case a true civil war would seem inevitable unless heroes (i.e. the PCs) can confront the Paladin and either prove the truth to him, possibly by exposing and defeating his Wyrm adviser, or kill him which may just ignite the troubles as the troops under his command might decide to avenge his lost by destroying the "impostor". If you wanted to you could make this a heavy intrigue game where the characters have to learn the truth somehow and then find a way to get close enough to present the truth to the Paladin and find a way to prove it to him in a time where he is likely to be facing many threats and claims to the throne from Azoun's bastard children or claimed bastard children.

The ironic thing is that in this situation, unless the paladin is much more lenient in regards to the various nobles' activities than Azoun was, this situation could easily turn into a multi-sided conflict where the nobles who have plotted and schemed so long against the Obarskyrs have shifted their efforts towards removing Terenzio Crownsilver. They wouldn't necessarily be allies of Azoun and the PC's either, probably choosing to kill him off if they learn he is alive and take their chances that the new and inexperienced Terenzio will be easier to supplant, mind control, kill, or any of the other delightful things nobles in Cormyr are always planning on doing.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  09:30:01  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have run something along similar lines over the last few years.

Maybe keep him as a paladin and have him fighting against the rising chaos that threatens Cormyr? So he is still good, but perhaps more lawful, and sees the 'abandonment' of Cormyr by the Obarskyrs as one step too far?

Civil War: I am sure he will have no problem finding folks to support him (fighting) or fund him, from both within Cormyr and external as well. There are plenty of folks who want a chance at power/want to be the power/manipulate the power from the shadows etc. Just line up the Rowanmantle, Wyvernspur, Cormaeril, Bleth and few other 'lesser/exiled' familes together against the three silver familes and you have a nice political mix for civil war. You will need to resolve how and why the War Wizards don't just stop this and how loyal the purple dragons are to the crown/or the local Lord?.

There is nothing to stop Terezio setting up his own Kingdom if he can't take over Cormyr completely (Arabel as the capital of the New Esparin?)

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  14:55:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You want another fun idea I've been kicking around? I've not checked the book Cormyr (haven't read it in years), but what if Thauglor had surviving progeny, and a half-dragon popped up that was a direct descendant from him? That half-dragon would be able to make a claim that as a descendant of the Purple Dragon, that he had more right to rule than the Obarskyrs. And it could mess things up even further if he was one of Azoun IV's bastards...

Even if they didn't buy it themselves, some nobles would flock to his banner just to take the Crown down a notch.

Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  16:29:58  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, a bastard of Azoun half-dragon, now that is interesting. I'm sensing a future villain, NPC, or character concept if I can just narrow it down. The Purple Dragon was a black dragon, right?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  16:34:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by idilippy

Oh, a bastard of Azoun half-dragon, now that is interesting. I'm sensing a future villain, NPC, or character concept if I can just narrow it down. The Purple Dragon was a black dragon, right?

Yes. Basically, it was just a black dragon which happened to look purple with the onset of advanced age.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 18 Sep 2010 16:36:44
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  16:34:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by idilippy

Yup, Thauglor was a black dragon.

Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  16:53:45  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool, thanks! I thought I remembered him being a black dragon from his appearances in Cormyr A Novel but I just wanted to be sure. Now to turn the blatantly stolen ideas from this thread into yet another one of my Realms ideas that may someday come to fruition in an actual campaign but may also never see the light of day.
Go to Top of Page

Xevo
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2010 :  01:15:42  Show Profile Send Xevo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I apologize for taking so long to respond. Sat. is my day to watch the kiddies and Sat. is game-night (different adventure). Sunday I work all day, this is the earliest I can get back and I must say, I finally found a good forum.
I will respond to each person in kind.

Wooly and Halidan: Those ideas are very similar to what I was thinking about yesterday. The Hellfire Wyrm is, unfortunately, needed for the plot due to the fact that she is partially responsible for all of Terenzio's success and his ability to "influence" his troops' morale.

Dalor: I have always loved the "good guy doing bad things" adventure, but the "good guy doing good things that are bad" is even better. I also like the idea of Terenzio having not fallen (a concept that had really not occurred to me until I read your post. Additionally...

Idilippy: Holy Crap! That is pretty much what my tired brain has been looking for. I adore intrigue laced campaigns and my players get a kick out them. It will be a nice change of pace from the war heavy adventure they are currently in (the same war that devastated Cormyr) though they are fighting on a different front. Multiples has always been a given in my games and there has been a lot going on the backround of many adventures that the players are not aware of. The Wyrm (as stated above) indirectly affected where Azoun and Caladnei disappeared to. This is because Nayir knew she could not possibly go toe-to-toe with the War Wizard (Caladnei didn't get that position because of her good looks). Plus, the Wyrm knew that if Azoun was killed, then those closest to him (other Obarskyrs for example) would be alerted thanks to safe-guards established by Vangey. If the king were dead, then Terenzio would have a much more difficult time claiming Regent. Awesome advice!

Crazadventurers: Indeed, if the PC's do expose the real Azoun and Terenzio has been dishonored, shamed and defeated, then the paladin could, in retaliation, take what he could of Cormyr since it becomes obvious that the corrupt Obarskyr line will continue to hold the throne. BTW...Arabel would not be a good capitol since I wiped it from the map in this last war (This will have been the 3rd time I destroyed that city, though likely not the last). Though some of those counties in Sembia are nice this time of year.

Wooly: Nice twist with the Purple Dragon, but alas I am going to have to pass on account of my own situation with THE Purple Dragon. Though a half-dragon making a claim would be interesting...

I thank you all for the ideas. As it is, I'll see what I can do with modifying and working with what I've got.

[^

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
-Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000