Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Sandstorm cover
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2010 :  21:27:04  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey all!

I know, I know, it's been a beholder's age since I posted in these parts--I kinda backed off the internet in general as I got busy this year. Hopefully as the fall progresses I'll be able to drop in more often again.
Meantime, my exciting news is that I love the cover for my Realms novel, due March 1st, Sandstorm. I think it's awesome-like-a-possum myself and hope y'all like it, too.

Check it out here: Rawr!

Cheers,

Christopher

Lord of Bones
Seeker

United Kingdom
78 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2010 :  21:43:12  Show Profile  Visit Lord of Bones's Homepage Send Lord of Bones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Colour me impressed! As a man who hasn't read a Forgotten Realms novel in a while, what could you tell me about your novel that might sell me on it?

Come watch the Gentleman's Guide to Gaming!
http://www.youtube.com/user/clackclickbang

On my channel I review and dissect role-playing games with great gusto. Please do take a look and let me know what you think.
Go to Top of Page

Pazuzu
Seeker

Germany
61 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2010 :  21:46:56  Show Profile Send Pazuzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool cover! Now I wait for some information about the novel! :-D

May your dice obey your will. - Gary Gygax (*1938 - †2008)
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2010 :  22:29:55  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to say just yet but have queries in to the powers that be. For now I can give you the publisher's blurb and tell you a little about me as a writer.

Here's the blurb:

quote:
A hero rises from the ranks of slaves!

The genasi control almost all of Calimshan for their djinn overlords—all but a few outposts like the floating Island of the Free, where escaped slaves from Calimport’s coliseum run their own brutal games. There, Cephas, a genasi with no memories of his past, has spent his entire life fighting. But one day a circus of misfits, lead by the crowlike Corvus Nightfeather, appear and free Cephas—and for the first time Cephas can harness his inborn powers and control the ground beneath his feet.

The newest Forgotten Realms® author brings his talents to an area that has changed dramatically with the fresh take of Dungeons & Dragons® 4th Edition. The powerful elemental race of the genasi and the xenophobic and ruthless cultures of Calimshan are revealed through the rise of the Forgotten Realms' newest hero.

As for me, I'm Christopher Rowe. I was a 1996 attendee of the Clarion West writing program and since 1998 I've published a couple of dozen science fiction & fantasy short stories in various magazines and anthologies. My story "The Voluntary State" was a finalist for the Hugo, Nebula, Sturgeon, and Seiun (Japan) Awards, and my story "Another Word For Map is Faith" was a finalist for the World Fantasy Award (the year a certain Ed Greenwood was a judge). That same story was on the long list for that year's Best American Short Stories anthology, edited by Stephen King. My work has been translated into a half-dozen languages and routinely reprinted in various genre year's best collections. My early short stories were collected in a chapbook available from Small Beer Press, Bittersweet Creek and Other Stories.

I've been reading and collecting Realms material since before the Gray Box if Dragon Magazines and the H1-H4 series count.

Cheers! (and hopefully more anon)

Christopher

PS Also, look! Big scary guy with two-headed flail fighting a displacer beast! C'mon!

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2010 :  22:50:55  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty cool CR.

I was planning on checking it out anyways.

Nice to see ya around these hallowed halls again...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  01:50:56  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Excellent cover! And the story sounds good. It's time to see the genasi in action! I'll surely buy this book!

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  02:02:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Christopher, you had me at genasi. And Calimshan.

Consider it mentally pre-ordered.

And I concur with fellow Brimstone. You've been long missed here at Candlekeep.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  02:47:46  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That looks like a Fire Genasi.... falling into a deep sand... fighting a displacer beast.

I've always liked scenes of heroes, or creatures, fighting each other even while falling a great distance. (Gandalf and Balrog, Spiderman and Doc Ock, etc etc...)

So yeah. So going to read that.

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  03:18:54  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent cover and sounds like a great storyline. I too am ready for Genasi to get some more coverage.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  03:31:28  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Is there a genasi that can control all elements? (Sorry, I lke Avatar Ang too much, and the genasi remind me of him)...

Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  03:40:30  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Closest genasi that can control all elements is likely the Janni.

Much like Earth, Fire, Water, and Air are the four classical elements, and the Tiefling and Aasimar are the Good and Evil genasi, (with axomatic and anaranic being the law and chaos genasi), the Janni are the closet to being all four elements.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  03:56:55  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Why just closest and not quite? I never heard of them, and they don't have an entry in wiki either.

Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  04:51:39  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Janni could be considered of the Genie or Efreeti type. They're in the Planar handbook.

Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

769 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  08:04:58  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has it ever been addressed anywhere as to why the 4E genasi look so different to the 3E genasi? I'm excited for your story, but I just don't like these new look genasi. Hopefully you will change my attitude towards them.
Go to Top of Page

Archimedes of Syracuse
Acolyte

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  17:20:14  Show Profile  Visit Archimedes of Syracuse's Homepage Send Archimedes of Syracuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The cover art for this book is blowing my mind, every book is coming out with amazing cover art and I'm loving it
Question though, are these (and any new cover art) drawn by hand or are the made on computer, if it is by computer how does that work I don't get it lol

Edited by - Archimedes of Syracuse on 14 Sep 2010 17:21:50
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  17:49:56  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a pretty righteous cover.

I'll make no pretensions to establishing anything like canonical fact, but I suspect the alteration in genasi appearance can be attributed to the influx of genasi from Returned Abeir.

They were an established race in their own world, rather than the "junior genasi" in Toril that were spawned from human bloodlines--given time, I suppose this is how genasi might evolve.

CR, what do YOU think?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  17:57:24  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, y'know, variations exist in populations, and some persist over time and others don't. Throw in the extraordinary (possibly) species-wide mutations possible because of things like the Spellplague, the storms of elemental power thrown around by Calim and Memnon in their wars, direct godly intervention and/or editorial fiat (those last two are close to the same thing!) and accelerated speciation isn't all that surprising. And not unprecedented in the Realms, eh?

As to cover art, Archimedes, I'm not sure of my particular artist's methodology, but these days you can be sure a computer is involved somewhere along the production process, if only in color corrections and so on.

Glad y'all like it! I'm over Selune about it myself.

Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

769 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  20:16:45  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input Erik and Chris. So is it safe to assume that the older more human looking (without all the crazy glowing lines) genasi still exist?

BTW, the cover at is pretty epic.
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  13:32:29  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It looks mighty, hoping for a mutated Guenhwyvar on a first thought.

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  14:28:04  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The cover is beautiful. I’m defiantly adding this book to my ‘must read’ list.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2010 :  21:44:55  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a very interesting read. Pre-order will now commence!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2010 :  09:58:05  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Chris,

Is this a stand-alone or are we to expect a trilogy?

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  17:17:00  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reviving this because I noticed that Wizards has posted a version of my book's cover sans text and other design elements. I love this image!

The image is shown in the February and Beyond Previews or here's a direct link. Rawr!

And Dennis, you'd probably forgot you even asked, but for now, this is a standalone novel.

Cheers,

Christopher
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  17:53:41  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I look forward to Sandstorm ... it's about genasi and will serve as my introduction to a new author.

What is that brown sand-fiend creature? Or would the answer be a spoiler?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  18:46:37  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik
What is that brown sand-fiend creature? Or would the answer be a spoiler?

The cover image is the artist's impression/interpretation of the first chapter, and since that's online as a preview I suppose it's not a spoiler to reveal what it is. That's a displacer beast, specifically the subspecies (omlarcats) native to the Omlarandin mountains on the eastern frontier of Tethyr.

Unless you're talking about the other figure! (That's the artist's impression of the novel's hero, an earthsouled genasi named Cephas).

Cheers,

Christopher

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  18:53:38  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A sandy displacer beast (like the normal uncamoflaged ones aren't bad enough). Learn something new every day.

Thanx for the quick response, C_Rowe

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  19:09:55  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice cover...
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  23:53:15  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

And Dennis, you'd probably forgot you even asked, but for now, this is a standalone novel.

Cheers,

Christopher

Ah, so it might turn into a trilogy? Like JJ's Unbroken Chain? I heard it was originally planned as a stand-alone but its success moved WotC to make it a trilogy.

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  23:56:39  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Ah, so it might turn into a trilogy? Like JJ's Unbroken Chain? I heard it was originally planned as a stand-alone but its success moved WotC to make it a trilogy.

Well, we'll see, I guess!

Cheers,

Christopher

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000