Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 4e Essentials
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2010 :  17:10:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Thank Eric. Now, if you could be so kind as to write in one of your FR novels that Ashe found Ary'Velahr'Kerym so it's canon...

I'll get right on that.

I must warn you, though--on the occasions when I include characters who bear a passing resemblance to someone's PC, such characters have a tendency to die very quickly and loudly.

It's a gesture of affection, really.

Cheers

Oh, come now dear Erik. You certainly can't canonise Ashe before you canonise me -- as the Sage, eh?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2010 :  18:23:26  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here Erik, we'll make it easy for you. Sage & I will write up the book, you can "proofread" it, then send it out to the editors to be published...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2010 :  19:00:56  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

He'd rather go out with a bang than in his bed (although, if the bang & bed are at the same time... )
Well, that *has* been known to happen--in my writing, knowing some of my characters, it seems very possible.

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Oh, come now dear Erik. You certainly can't canonise Ashe before you canonise me -- as the Sage, eh?
That's true!

Le sigh! The life of a professional writer is so demanding.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2010 :  20:22:58  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So Erik, as long as your hijacking my thread maybe you can confirm that the new Bladesinger class is an Essential of the Swordmage?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2010 :  02:54:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If anyone here becomes 'canonized', does that mean we get one of those cute little statues made of us that they have down at the RC church? You know, the ones of the dudes in dresses with all the bling.

'Saint Markus'... yeah... that has a certain ring to it...

Hoping to pick this up this week and try it by next weekend. I'm kinda looking forward to having all the 'flavor' back in my own hands.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2010 :  20:09:15  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I for one am having lots of fun with it. I think it's telling that myself and 2 of my players are completly changing over to the Essential classes (cleric of Amaunator with the Sun domain and an Essential assassin).

I'm looking forward to the Knight's aura and not having to Micro-manage my Defender with tons and tons of marks.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  14:57:30  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So my Knight performed much better this week than last, even with a Zombie Throng encased all around me. And as it was a DMPC, I didn't have to worry about doing much besides MBA, change stance, and possibly Power Strike or Power Attack. The simplicity is something I sorta miss!

Anyone else try out the Essentials?
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  16:13:24  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

So my Knight performed much better this week than last, even with a Zombie Throng encased all around me. And as it was a DMPC, I didn't have to worry about doing much besides MBA, change stance, and possibly Power Strike or Power Attack. The simplicity is something I sorta miss!

Anyone else try out the Essentials?

I might stress test it with a DMPC or two when it eventually hits the character builder. I have been hearing some nifty stuff about it.

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2010 :  14:39:35  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cleric Generic

I might stress test it with a DMPC or two when it eventually hits the character builder. I have been hearing some nifty stuff about it.

They work really well IMO. The wizard's encounter powers hitting even if it misses is really useful and brings them up to speed/power with other controllers that are NOT Essentials. I hope to see an up-date for encounter powers from the PHB/Arcane Power that aren't listed in the Essentials books. Or I might just make them all half-damage on a miss.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  13:23:17  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My friend texted me last night that he spotted The Red Box at Target last night for $12. Seems like if you've been waiting to pick it up, it might be a good time to do so.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  15:58:53  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My friend texted me last night that he spotted The Red Box at Target last night for $12. Seems like if you've been waiting to pick it up, it might be a good time to do so.

$12 is a really good price. I'll have to take a drive out there and see. Thanks for the info Ashe!!

EDIT NOTE: Just updated the Character Builder for Oct and still no Essentials update. Though, I know it's in the works because a human has to choose the extra At-Will power in a drop-down box. Yea, it's the only option but that means that there are going to be more options.

Edited by - Diffan on 21 Oct 2010 16:04:55
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2010 :  03:25:34  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I went and checked it out at Target tonight. Turns out the sticker my friend saw is actually a coupon. It says "Save $11 Now!", but I pulled back the sticker to read the coupon (yes, I'm a bad boy ) and the $11 savings is that if you buy the Red Box, you can use the coupon to get a free pack of D&D Miniatures Booster Pack.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2010 :  16:04:12  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, I went and checked it out at Target tonight. Turns out the sticker my friend saw is actually a coupon. It says "Save $11 Now!", but I pulled back the sticker to read the coupon (yes, I'm a bad boy ) and the $11 savings is that if you buy the Red Box, you can use the coupon to get a free pack of D&D Miniatures Booster Pack.

Hmmm, well that still isn't a bad deal considering a Booster Pack of D&D mini's can run like $15, but still, not as good as getting the Red Box for $12. I'll still have to check it out regardless.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2010 :  16:54:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still don't have this - both the Ex and the GF promised to buy it for me, but other things came up (I am on a fixed income so I try not to spend my meager stipend frivolously). I am already planning the campaign, however.

Which brings me to the reason for this post...

I have been working on the Nentir Vale conversion map for FR for a week now, and I was about 2/3 the way finished, but the more I got done, the less I felt like working on it (and this was aside from my normal ADD tendencies). I finally figured it out - I was covering-over the NV terrain with my good, old fashioned 3e FR terrain... and hating it.

Aside from the atrocious FR campaign map, the 4e maps just look better. The ones that accompanied the DDi articles, and also the few that have been in other products (such as the Nentir Vale Map from the 4eDMG).

So yesterday I started over, except this time I am painting-over the FR terrain with a new set of patterns I created, using the NV map as a template.

What does this have to do with Essentials? EVERYTHING.

I find that after I made the decision to try and run a 4e game (and take another look at the 4e lore), something inside of me shifted. Once I crossed that threshold of resentment, I find it easier and easier to 'let go' of the trappings of 3e.

Don't get me wrong, I loved 3e - it was revolutionary. I also loved the 1e and 3e lore (2e rules still give me nightmares). They will always have a special place in my heart, as will the Realms, but in the past few weeks I feel a bit more light-hearted since I decided to break out of the cocoon of grognardise that I shielded myself within.

Who knows? maybe the worlds fattest, ugliest butterfly will emerge.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Nov 2010 17:09:14
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2010 :  06:43:59  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I still don't have this - both the Ex and the GF promised to buy it for me, but other things came up (I am on a fixed income so I try not to spend my meager stipend frivolously). I am already planning the campaign, however.

Which brings me to the reason for this post...

I have been working on the Nentir Vale conversion map for FR for a week now, and I was about 2/3 the way finished, but the more I got done, the less I felt like working on it (and this was aside from my normal ADD tendencies). I finally figured it out - I was covering-over the NV terrain with my good, old fashioned 3e FR terrain... and hating it.

Aside from the atrocious FR campaign map, the 4e maps just look better. The ones that accompanied the DDi articles, and also the few that have been in other products (such as the Nebtir Vale Map from the 4eDMG).

So yesterday I started over, except this time I am painting-over the FR terrain with a new set of patterns I created, using the NV map as a template.

What does this have to do with Essentials? EVERYTHING.

I find that after I made the decision to try and run a 4e game (and take another look at the 4e lore), something inside of me shifted. Once I crossed that threshold of resentment, I find it easier and easier to 'let go' of the trappings of 3e.

Don't get me wrong, I loved 3e - it was revolutionary. I also loved the 1e and 3e lore (2e rules still give me nightmares). They will always have a special place in my heart, as will the Realms, but in the past few weeks I feel a bit more light-hearted since I decided to break out of the cocoon of grognardise that I shielded myself within.

Who knows? maybe the worlds fattest, ugliest butterfly will emerge.

What's REALLY funny is that I'm now sorta missing the old 3.5 vibe and am looking more towards playing a campaign in that ruleset than I am with 4E!

But I'm glad to hear that ice-cold heart is starting to thaw. Essentials has really helped usher some people who have been holding back into 4E along with those who've purchased 4E and didn't like it in the past. I think that says alot for this up-date and direction in general.

I don't know if the rest of 4E will contiune to go in this Essential model, but if it keeps the game going then I'm all for it.

I actually had a discussion with a friend who was complaining that Essentials was bringing back all the problems 3.5 had with class leveling and no options for the Melee-based characters and I just had to laugh. Sure, the Knight/Slayer etc...doesn't have access to 10,000,00 Encounter/Daily powers anymore but with a smiple MBA, my Knight is doing something like 23 to 45 damage on average and that's saying something coming from a Defender-role.

BTW, can't wait to see the new map Markus!!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2010 :  17:18:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I plan to backwards-engineer quite a bit from 3e (I have done that with every edition, and even other systems). D&D can still feel like D&D - I haven't played with the new rules yet, but I think the rules are just there for encounters, and 90% of my games are roleplay, so it shouldn't affect it overmuch.

I'll try to have a WIP of the conversion up later - too bad I had to ditch most of what I had finished, but it was worth it. The layout of this conversion practically writes itself, an no previous FR lore need be changed.

I only had a problem with one road - the rest all lead directly to FR towns (so perfectly it was scary) - so I may need to create a town. I've already named one small (forgotten) stand of trees The Greenwood, so I think its time for the little village of Cunningham to make its debut.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  14:20:01  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The one thing I'm noticing a lot about press and such regarding Essentials releases has been a lot of comments from Designers saying something akin to the following:

"We brought XXXXX back!"

Where XXXX could be magic missile, fighter without powers, purple worm's stinger, etc. It's leaving me with the overall feeling that they are trying to roll-back from the sweeping changes of 4E. Which is kinda ticking me off. If you want to change your game, fine. You created a nice rules-set that many people enjoy (alas, I just don't). You even went so far to make fun of previous rules-sets. But to then to update the rules-set so that it looks more like previous editions?

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  14:44:43  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The one thing I'm noticing a lot about press and such regarding Essentials releases has been a lot of comments from Designers saying something akin to the following:

"We brought XXXXX back!"

Where XXXX could be magic missile, fighter without powers, purple worm's stinger, etc. It's leaving me with the overall feeling that they are trying to roll-back from the sweeping changes of 4E. Which is kinda ticking me off. If you want to change your game, fine. You created a nice rules-set that many people enjoy (alas, I just don't). You even went so far to make fun of previous rules-sets. But to then to update the rules-set so that it looks more like previous editions?

Firstly, I hate the new magic missile. Yea, it's auto-hit but does pitiful damage and is rather poinless at paragon and epic tiers of play. Looking at the Char-Ops boards, Magic Missile went from being meh, ok in a pinch to practically worthless. Hence why the new Mage from Essentials is automatically featured to have it, whether you like it or not. Give me Winged Horde, Thunderwave, or Scorching Burst any day!

I think for the most part, Essentials is going to be these two books (HotFL and HotFK) and will stop there. There will be up-dated support like Heroes of Shadow that give further info/tips/builds/powers for the Essentials (or hopefully yet, NON-essental) classes but that remains to be seen.

But just like any edition of D&D, there are going to be things or mechanics people really dislike. Someone may love 4E's controller or spell-casting/power-using classes save for Martial classes (fighter, rogue, warlord, ranger) but with the coming of Essentials, now enjoy them because they're the players that can't imagine fighter's having Powers or what have you.

Sure, it's a nod (albiet slightly) to the simplification of melee-based Martial classes in v3.5 but I think it's still a vastly different system and is still marketed as such.

I, personally, don't see what all the hub-bub is all about. I liked the Knight because the Aura-mark ability (not having to distinguish a mark EVERY round) is simple and easy for a DMPC. Their MBA (melee-basic attacks) have nifty special effects but on the whole, aren't overly complicated with clauses of Attack: Str vs. AC, Hit: 2(w) + blah blah, effect: blah blah. But if I want that, it's stil there and works fine with the system.

It's all about styles of play and alternatives to that play.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2010 :  20:49:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See? Now I'd personally rather roll-to-hit.

That's one thing I never liked about standard D&D rules, and I have tried many tweaks over the years.

In novels, weather they be FR or some other fantasy, spells MISS, a LOT. How is the game supposed to reflect that when the rules don't emulate what happens in the stories? I understand that 'savings throws' are part of that mechanic, but it doesn't have the same feel.

Spells SHOULD cause decent damage, but they should also have to be TARGETED. In fact, the 'save' chance should be built into the targeting roll, with a sliding-scale for damage %.

Ergo, if you need a '12' to hit, then for each pip over that it should do an additional point of damage.* Put the real power of a mage in his ability to hit his target, not how much magic he knows. A level 10 'battle-mage' should be able to take down a much higher level wizard who has spent his entire life locked away in a tower studying. 'Magic theory' will only get you so far; RW experience should count for something.

Just my 2 cents: I'm hoping Essentials will give me the tools that I need - I may have to cherry-pick from 4e now.

*With 'base damage' being 1, which can be augmented with feats or or class-abilities.

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Nov 2010 20:54:02
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2010 :  05:01:33  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

See? Now I'd personally rather roll-to-hit.

That's one thing I never liked about standard D&D rules, and I have tried many tweaks over the years.

In novels, weather they be FR or some other fantasy, spells MISS, a LOT. How is the game supposed to reflect that when the rules don't emulate what happens in the stories? I understand that 'savings throws' are part of that mechanic, but it doesn't have the same feel.

Spells SHOULD cause decent damage, but they should also have to be TARGETED. In fact, the 'save' chance should be built into the targeting roll, with a sliding-scale for damage %.

Ergo, if you need a '12' to hit, then for each pip over that it should do an additional point of damage.* Put the real power of a mage in his ability to hit his target, not how much magic he knows. A level 10 'battle-mage' should be able to take down a much higher level wizard who has spent his entire life locked away in a tower studying. 'Magic theory' will only get you so far; RW experience should count for something.

Just my 2 cents: I'm hoping Essentials will give me the tools that I need - I may have to cherry-pick from 4e now.

*With 'base damage' being 1, which can be augmented with feats or or class-abilities.

I definitly agree there Markus. We've always rolled our eyes at the magic missile spells of old (and I guess new now). Even looking at spells of v3.5 like Fireball and Lightning Bolt, it wasn't a matter of "did it hit the guy?!" to "oh, he made his save, well 1/2 damage then".

One thing I will say about the Essentials mage is it's awesome for those who like to screw with people ! I mean, the Enchantment school allows a mage to target enemies and Jedi mind-trick them into hitting their allies or themselves with MBAs!! hahaha! Not only that, but also the Essentials mage brought in Encounter spells that have some effect on a miss which is a REALLY big boon for the class and lets it take the lead in the Controller department. I know that perk sorta contradicts what I said earlier about Fireball and Lightning Bolt but the Targeting factor is still there and the Miss effects can be rather lack-luster compared to an successful attack. Still, it's better than nothing and not a lot of controller classes can say that.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2010 :  23:05:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can I run a Mage thats says to a couple of troopers "These aren't the Golems you're looking for."

And now I have a name for my southern-Malatra based group of Mystics - Order of the Mystic Force.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2010 :  14:36:32  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Can I run a Mage thats says to a couple of troopers "These aren't the Golems you're looking for."

Pretty much. Most of their spells mess with their enemies minds, allowing you to somewhat dominate them. Very unique to the usual Int vs. Ref; 2d6 + Int mod damage and the target gets blah blah.

quote:

And now I have a name for my southern-Malatra based group of Mystics - Order of the Mystic Force.

Nice. I like it!!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2010 :  16:20:11  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So what would the Darksiders be called??

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2010 :  01:00:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you mean the ones from SW? (Because when you Google that you come up with something very different).

Shadowmasters, of course.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2010 :  19:52:37  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just released the final version of the Essassin (Essentail Assassin) and boy does it stink. With how flavorful and unique the Playtest version was they pretty much gutted that and put up an imposter in it's place. Essentially, they assassinated the Essassin . If any of you allow Essassins in their game, I'd highly suggest letting your players use the Playtest version and work out the bugs yourselves becuase WotC can't make the correct decisions anyways.

Way to botch something else there WotC.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2010 :  21:30:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reminds me (sadly) of the 4e previews (books and online articles/podcasts). I thought there were some really terrific ideas there, and they didn't even go with at least half the stuff I thought sounded really cool.

Once again (I suppose), they opted for the generic (non-setting) approach and boiled-out the flavor.

Damn shame - people's biggest complaint about 4e (the ones who actually are playing it) is that it '"doesn't feel like D&D", and I had hoped they were moving in the right direction at this point.

I think the focus on 'game balance' is becoming an anchor. It might keep things stable, but it also keeps you from getting everywhere.

By way of example, I used to play WoW... A LOT. I really loved the differences between the two factions. Then I heard the first expansion was coming out, and The Horde was getting Paladins, and The Alliance was getting Shamans...

I was like "what the hell!?"

While most folks were looking forward to that (god only knows why), I quit the game (that I really loved playing) just a few weeks before the expansion was released, and never looked back.

A world where 'all things are equal" sounds very boring to me. I like the unexpected, especially in games. Too much balance and you start to drain all the 'color' from the world, leaving a very bleak, gray landscape.

IMHO, of course.

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Nov 2010 21:31:46
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2010 :  23:20:16  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Do you mean the ones from SW? (Because when you Google that you come up with something very different).

Shadowmasters, of course.

Yes silly the Darksiders from Star Wars...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2010 :  03:52:59  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Damn shame - people's biggest complaint about 4e (the ones who actually are playing it) is that it '"doesn't feel like D&D", and I had hoped they were moving in the right direction at this point.

I think the focus on 'game balance' is becoming an anchor. It might keep things stable, but it also keeps you from getting everywhere.

From my own perspective, I still don't understand what that statement means. What is D&D supposed to feel like? Where the game itself is concerned, if it doesn't feel like D&D then it's possibly a greater number of factors and not just the game mechanics themselves. I think alot of people who play 4E and say it's not D&D take WAAYY too many factors of their own previous accounts of past editions and sorta compare/contrast that with 4E. Well of course it's different, that'll happen with these sweeping changes to the rules but as long as there is a DM with a great story and you've a mind for a character and want to RP an adventure then THATS D&D to me. The rules are secondary.

Now the focus on game balance is definitly a double edged sword. On one hand, balance serves the greater community for the same enjoyment of play across 30 levels of character creation. No other edition of D&D has that balance ever (not without huge, shattering homebrew rules anyways). I like the fact that the wizard to my right isn't going to overshadow everything I do with a few simple spells or scrolls he can conjure up on a whim. I like the fact that the cleric isn't just a heal-bot til somewhere around 10th level of play.

Now the flip side is that some people get bored (as MT states) that a character they've worked so hard for is mechanically as good as someone who threw it together in 5 minutes with the Character Builder. That leveling doesn't mean anything because even though there is great variety of spells, a "controller" or "defender" that's another class is just like you but with a different Skin and/or flavor. I get that. But that doesn't mean how your character acts in the game is the same as any of the other Roles. Trust me, a Swordmage is going to approach combat SOO drastically different than a dual-wielding fighter that it'd be hard to notice which one is the defender. Not to mention the Multi-classing rules designed to branch these character out into other spheres of expertise. Note that I say "branch" and not "can do just as well if not better" like in previous editions.

quote:

By way of example, I used to play WoW... A LOT. I really loved the differences between the two factions. Then I heard the first expansion was coming out, and The Horde was getting Paladins, and The Alliance was getting Shamans...

I was like "what the hell!?"

While most folks were looking forward to that (god only knows why), I quit the game (that I really loved playing) just a few weeks before the expansion was released, and never looked back.

A world where 'all things are equal" sounds very boring to me. I like the unexpected, especially in games. Too much balance and you start to drain all the 'color' from the world, leaving a very bleak, gray landscape.

IMHO, of course.

I used to play WoW too, and for 6 whole months I devoted ALOT of time to that game. But for me, the boring came with farming and the people you generally meet on there. For one, they have all these nifty gadgets on their computer that amplify their "gaming experience" and allow them to look at your character's build. If that character doesn't fit the right % to hit or heal or defend then they say "your build isn't good enought to go with us into this instance. Find another group." As if I had the 300+ hrs a month to sit there and find that once piece of purple armor that boots my defense +.0024% . It was nice for a bit, but people take it way to seriously IMHO.

But taking your perspective with WoW, Markus, and the "One Build to Rule Them All" approach I think it applies better to D&D than it does a video game. You can't really RP well in a WoW game, not even close to that of a PnP one so that is where the distinction in balance vs. flavor comes in.

I think 4E did D&D the best service with cutting ties from the Role Play aspect and Roll Play aspect of the game. Lets face it, not everyone who likes the idea of a Paladin is going to want to play Lawful Stupid OOOR put the time/inclination to play a Lawful Good character with some know-how. Sometimes, they just want the nice shiney paladin powers with Radiant weapons and a thirst for their deities enemies blood. With v3.5 rules that was nigh improbable unless you had a DM that allowed Unearthed Arcana and in pre-3E, damn-near impossible. With 4E, it's not only possible but often encourged. Just have a good backstory. That, I feel, is what was missing in 3E & v3.5. Everything had to have a small, perfect place for it to make sense. So many PrCs with prerequisites that had no buisness being in the class like the Morninglord of Lathander in PGtF, for example. That class required Craft 4 ranks and Perform (any) 2 ranks?!!?! Can someone tell me why? And why didn't Lathander have the Healing domain?! Seems to me like the giant SUN DEITY that's all about life, renewal, rejuvination, and resurrection WOULD HAVE FREAKIN' HEALING!

Wow, sorry for the crazy rant. Had an argument with a friend over the finer and unrefined points of 3E vs. 4E.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2010 :  14:03:19  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm only addressing two things because the others I've addressed too often in the past.

quote:

From my own perspective, I still don't understand what that statement means. What is D&D supposed to feel like? Where the game itself is concerned, if it doesn't feel like D&D then it's possibly a greater number of factors and not just the game mechanics themselves. I think alot of people who play 4E and say it's not D&D take WAAYY too many factors of their own previous accounts of past editions and sorta compare/contrast that with 4E. Well of course it's different, that'll happen with these sweeping changes to the rules but as long as there is a DM with a great story and you've a mind for a character and want to RP an adventure then THATS D&D to me. The rules are secondary.

This is where playing other games comes in Diffan. When I had asked if you had tried World of Darkness or Shadowrun or anything besides D&D before, you would then understand what we mean by "feels like D&D". A large portion of gamers grew up on Vancian magic rules and such and that's what they expect of their D&D game. If they didn't want those components in their game, they usually played a different game. The gaming industry is full of variety and the D&D brand had come to represent certain elements that everyone recognized as Dungeons & Dragons. So, when WotC/Hasbro changed those elements, many gamers felt that it was no longer the D&D brand.
quote:

I think 4E did D&D the best service with cutting ties from the Role Play aspect and Roll Play aspect of the game. Lets face it, not everyone who likes the idea of a Paladin is going to want to play Lawful Stupid OOOR put the time/inclination to play a Lawful Good character with some know-how. Sometimes, they just want the nice shiney paladin powers with Radiant weapons and a thirst for their deities enemies blood. With v3.5 rules that was nigh improbable unless you had a DM that allowed Unearthed Arcana and in pre-3E, damn-near impossible. With 4E, it's not only possible but often encourged. Just have a good backstory. That, I feel, is what was missing in 3E & v3.5. Everything had to have a small, perfect place for it to make sense. So many PrCs with prerequisites that had no buisness being in the class like the Morninglord of Lathander in PGtF, for example. That class required Craft 4 ranks and Perform (any) 2 ranks?!!?! Can someone tell me why? And why didn't Lathander have the Healing domain?! Seems to me like the giant SUN DEITY that's all about life, renewal, rejuvination, and resurrection WOULD HAVE FREAKIN' HEALING!

Lots of people point to the Paladin and the LG restriction. Even I like my games where there are "holy warriors" that aren't LG. BUT, it comes as part of my first response that Paladins, rightly or wrongly, were seen as the ultimate "cop" of the adventuring world. If they had published the Paladins originally as being any alignment, then why would anyone have chosen a fighter in previous editions? And, in all my years of playing D&D, I only met ONE player that NEVER had a good backstory for his characters. ROLE-playing has absolutely nothing to do with the rules you play as no-one can force a player to play his character a certain way.

As for Lathander, the church was all about building civilization (Craft) and celebrating life (Perform). Part of renewal is accepting death (no Healing domain).

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2010 :  19:56:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have to go with Ashe's answers, simply because I do not have my own (including the ones about Lathander - that was a good question!)

I have yet to play 4e (much to my chagrin), but when the rules came out it didn't feel like D&D to me (and that was just from reading the rules - no such feeling happened when I bought into 3e).

I make that statement based upon what at least three people have told me about the new rules. People who have actually TRIED the rules, and have played both editions a lot. Three people which post here, BTW, and are currently running 4e games. In fact, just above you yourself said "I'm now sorta missing the old 3.5 vibe".

I didn't make that statement lightly, and didn't base it on the 'anti-4e' people - I based it on what has been said by people who have made the move to 4th edition. Some people just want to 'kill stuff', and thats fine (although I thought that was what the miniatures game was for). If they want to move in that direction then it makes sense - Hasbro is a multi-national toy company and its products have to be designed for the widest appeal. I have absolutely no problem with that.

But D&D is a niche hobby. If they think they can mainstream it they are sadly mistaken. They are not 'dumbing-down' (a phrase thrown-around a lot when 4e first came out) D&D - they are making miniatures (toy soldiers) more complicated.

D&D has always been about the social interaction and roleplay. That was its appeal... the rules were secondary. The market Hasbro/WotC is currently after is already dominated by Video Games - where you go in, grab 'phat lewts', and get out. D&D was supposed to be for people who wanted more.

You can't have your cake and eat it to - you want the DM there so you can break the rules (which you can't do in a VG), but you don't want the social interaction. That's not going to work. There is no 'middle-ground', which appears to be what WotC is trying to create. Instead of pleasing the largest demographic of people, you are going to please the least. Some folks will want more, and others less, but very few are going to find its a 'perfect fit'.

I have a feeling the D&D line is going to go the way of the Heroscape line, and get blended into the 'toys with rules' category. If they were smart they'd try to get their hands on the Heroclix property from Wizkids and go with that (which appears to be precisely the direction they are going) - they are trying to "re-invent the wheel". Most of those minis were damn nice (far better then the ugly little melted lumps produced for D&D), and they already have a very simple and fast set of combat rules in-place. Just add a teensy bit of roleplay and your good to go.

And this is all coming from someone who plans to run Essentials! I don't want to see D&D die, and I am hoping Mike Mearls can somehow save it. If he does, someone should buy that man a 'Superman' suit.

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Nov 2010 19:59:13
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000