Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Way of the Powrie
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  20:09:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely sad: Read THO's last response to me in Ed's thread.

'Something' else existed in Realmspace in the distant past. I don't know what (or who) it was, but it was destroyed during the War of Light & Darkness, and the Tears of Selune are pieces of 'that which was lost'....

Also check-out the answer to the question I asked about the Inner Sea - I was told it is shaped that way for a specific reason (if you look at older, 1e/2e maps, it has a distinctive anthropomorphic outline). Ed has often alluded to a 'big secret' "sitting in plain sight", and since I spend a LOT of time staring at the maps....

There is also a massive skull floating in Realmsppace.

Near as I can tell, there were MANY more 'Selune's Tears' trailing behind her, but most have already fallen, all over Toril. The Star Mounts are one (and were mined during the crown-war era for 'moonsilver'), and the Moonsea was created by another (and not as long ago as many think).

So whatever 'it' was, it was BIG - probably another heavenly body - and probably represented a 'now lost' member of the Faerūnian pantheon (the Earthmother herself?)

I have often theorized about Toril having a 'dark moon' (note Shar's emblem), but it wouldn't make much sense if the 'lost moon' belonged to Shar (although it could have). I'm now thinking there may have been at least one other moon, if not several, and perhaps each governed a different form of lycanthropy in 'days of yore'. The presence of 'moonsilver' in the tears that fell (and its magically inherent properties) speaks volumes to lycanthrope-lore.

So yes, I think the original 'pools' (Ley-nodes) were designed, and the later ones were 'corruptions' in The Weave, but the Moonwells were something I feel were created 'by accident' - they were the result of a goddess's out-pouring of emotion over the world itself (for whatever reason). Each contains just a miniscule portion of her being.

So if The Weave - the very 'body of Mystra' - can have wounds in it (like that tear Elminster had to patch), where energy (the life-blood of a god?) pours forth, then why can't 'wells' also be connected to a god's energy, if they originated as something from the god (like tears)? I would think any 'fluid' from a god would be a physical manifestation of its own internal energies.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Apr 2011 20:14:12
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  20:24:51  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I personally prefer the notion that ley-lines weren't designed so much as being an organic (natural) system. Perhaps a remnant of some early act of divine/magical creation, sort of a (discarded) loom upon which the Weave was woven? Perhaps even a sort of anchor or "interior stitching" manifest upon Toril which allows the Weave to function? Perhaps even an ancient (and in some places imperfect or ugly) patch of repaired Weave sewn into the world? I'd speculate that since magic is a dynamic and growing force, ancient Mystras might have maintained the Weave with all sorts of extra threads and alterations which might leak magic ... Toril itself is somewhat alive in a magical sense, ley-lines might function as arteries and rivers through which magic constantly flows (much like weather) through the land.

Another reason I suspect Ed might have inspired or created magical moonwells and pools is that such magical/spiritual pools featured prominently in numerous RW pagan religions, indeed, they were often associated with some local earth/moon/life/fertility goddess. It's impossible not to notice the pagan (and mythological) influences and folklore adapted throughout Ed's earliest Realmslore. Of course, these same influences might have coincidentally been adapted by other writers without involving Ed at all; the Moonshaes were created by a UK writer who was no doubt at least passingly familiar with Celtic lore about druids and cauldrons and pools.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 01 Apr 2011 20:29:56
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
568 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  16:15:57  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, Dalor Darden (or however you prefer to abbreviate your screen name ), I take it you're at least set as far as the actual creature now?

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  18:33:39  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Galuf the Dwarf

So, Dalor Darden (or however you prefer to abbreviate your screen name ), I take it you're at least set as far as the actual creature now?

Aye...will be using the Redcap.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  18:56:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, its a fine line there, Arik. In my cosmological view, the 'Elder Gods' (not deities - Ed's "watching Gods") ARE part of the natural universe. They are concepts incarnate.

Ergo, if they are part of 'nature', then the system of ley-lines they set-down are a natural phenomena - something that was part of the how the universe was designed.

In the AEG book SECRETS, they have it where Ley-lines occur naturally, over time, and usually are created (accidentally) by sentient beings (but not always), and each is associated with a different domain (like priestly Domains). I use some of that, but I don't like the idea of a hap-hazard system of lines that appear at random based on well-used travel paths. I like the idea of 'associations', but I apply it to the nexus points (the Pools).

So I borrow heavily from their mechanics, but not the fluff. They do have some cool magic for tapping into and moving ley-lines (more like shifting them - you can never change the terminus points), so all of that is usable IMO.

My Own Take:
Energy beings (spirits, outsiders, etc) can use them like roads, and they greatly increase movement speeds if you know how to tap them. This is how fey (and others), although small in numbers in any one particular place, can appear in very large numbers when necessary (like when a group of them are threatened). The ley-lines become a magical rapid-transit system. Fey, by their nature, like a lot of room, so this works well on their behalf, where they can have all that space, and yet still remain 'close' to friends and relatives. This also ties-into how fey HATE when humans (and others) encroach upon them (usually to use-up local resources and destroy parts of the natural environment). They are territorial on a very primal level.

Except for House-Fey, which are rare, but can be found where humans (and other mortals) have found a way to live in harmony with nature (as they do in Rashemen). More often then any other race (even Elves), Fey develop these kinds of relationships with Halflings (with whom they feel a strange kinship).

In fact, quite contrary to popular belief, Fey will develop these kinds of relationships with elves least of all. They make exceptions with occasional Grugach (Wild) tribes, who still venerate the Fęltic Pantheon (Fey/Celtic), but they consider most Elves as heretics - most especially groups of Prime Eladrin (High Elves).

Also, 'wild' fey do not consider 'house fey' to be 'Seelie'. Mortals mistakenly think 'Seelie' means 'goodly', but they couldn't be more wrong. All 'Seelie' means is that those fey follow the dictates of the Court of Light. Unseelie fey (like the Powrie) follow the dictates of the Shadow Court. Ergo, most house fey are considered aberrations by both groups, and they are considered 'Twilight Fey' (there is no Twilight Court, although there is a group of beings that are considered the unofficial 'leaders' of Twilight Fey).

However, unless otherwise mandated by one of the Courts, all fey will be cordial with each other, and even assist each other, regardless of court, against non-fey. Two fey working to both assist and hinder a group of mortals on a quest, for instance, will continually apply their powers and abilities in that capacity in regards to the mortals (making the mortals VERY confused), but will NOT directly act against one-another. Fey harming another fey is extremely rare, and FORBIDDEN, by ALL Courts, and doing so will lead to being ostracized and even banished from Faerie.

Some say this is what happened with the elves.......

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Apr 2011 19:00:38
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2011 :  20:23:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I am still looking for the 'fey gates' I mentioned in Quale's thread, but I may just be remembering something incorrectly (still not sure). I did find Crossroads & Backroads in Magic of Faerūn (pg.44), and that sounds a LOT like my concept for the leylines.

Just thought I'd point it out, because you may want to use it. Even you toss-out the leylines idea, it would still seem to me that that fluff would be directly applicable to 'the Way of the Powrie'.

Also, found a rather oddly-placed reference to Thar yesterday, in the Hordelands material. One of the cardstock-thingies has a chart with different horse-types you can find in The Wastes, and one of them (the Nar horse, IIRC) had 'Thar' listed as one of the regions it's found in.

Not directly related to the topic, but I know you've been searching around for any Thar references.

As a further expansion to that (and WAY off-topic), it also has the stats for the Steppe Ponies the barbarians use: in the LoI box there is a reference to the drow of the Forest of Mir using 'small horses' that most closely resemble the steppe ponies, so at least we have some crunch to go with those as well.

I know... I know... I just jumped from the far north to the distant south, but I'm a cartographer... what did you expect?

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Apr 2011 20:24:52
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2012 :  02:19:15  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Way of the Powrie rez...

I've changed the nature of how I plan to present my "The Ride" project...and so I'm not going to be using stats on a Redcap.

Still going to simply call what I plan a Powrie though...

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2012 :  10:31:15  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why a redcap? there are powries in D&D, they are type of shadow fey from Ravenloft.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2012 :  16:07:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL DD - I think you've found your way to say exact condition I did while working on the Utter East project. It is actually possible to crave too much detail - sometimes 'vague' is actually the best way to proceed.

In FR, oft-times it is nearly impossible to tie-off every single loose end, without creating contradictions, so its better just to leave most of those loose ends loose.

Its how Ed designs - never paint yourself into a corner.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2012 :  17:28:11  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

Why a redcap? there are powries in D&D, they are type of shadow fey from Ravenloft.

What book is that in Quale? I'd love to get a look at that.

Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2012 :  18:17:36  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the redcap stats in Monster Manual 3 are perfect.

What map did you find that road?
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2012 :  18:34:17  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

Yeah, the redcap stats in Monster Manual 3 are perfect.

What map did you find that road?

You can find it here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10166328/Thar%20Region%20Map.jpg

The Way of the Powrie leaves from Ilinver and then north across the Ride and Tortured Lands to the Frozen Flindyke.

Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2012 :  02:37:25  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dalor, would you know who made that map/where it is from? The western part is very reminiscent of the map in the Monument of the Ancients adventure, but that one only goes as far east as the West Galena range.

Thanks!

Never sleep under the jackfruit tree.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

My campaign thread: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2012 :  02:55:06  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know...I can't remember at all where I got the map from! I think it was supposed to be a map concerning Vaasa...but I don't remember where I got it.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2012 :  06:03:10  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The map is from the Realmslore: Vaasa article from Dungeon #177 and was designed by me and drawn by Mike Schley.
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.aspx?x=dnd/drrl/20100408

I know what I had in mind for the Way of the Powrie, but it's way more fun to read you folks' interpretations.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames

Edited by - Brian R. James on 10 Nov 2012 06:05:23
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2012 :  13:54:32  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

The map is from the Realmslore: Vaasa article from Dungeon #177 and was designed by me and drawn by Mike Schley.

I know what I had in mind for the Way of the Powrie, but it's way more fun to read you folks' interpretations.

You should share!!!

Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2012 :  13:57:45  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Thank you very much, Brian. It's a very good map, wonderfully drawn and detailed.

And I second Dalor's wishes.

Never sleep under the jackfruit tree.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

My campaign thread: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2012 :  19:27:33  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

quote:
Originally posted by Quale

What book is that in Quale? I'd love to get a look at that.

The Shadow Rift adventure (2e) and Van Ricthen's Guide to the Shadow Fey (3e)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000