Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Villains Series
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  21:54:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One man's 'evil' is another man's 'neutral'.

Larloch is evil in the same way The Sojourner was evil. Neither went out of their way to commit evil acts, but they certainly would not bother to do something 'nice', even if it cost them nothing to do so.

They are TRUE neutral, in that they are completely self-absorbed, self-interested, self-vested, and self-serving. Everything exists merely to amuse them and help them achieve their goals. The lives of others are meaningless, and therefor they are considered evil by normal standards.

If either of those two were to view (through scrying) a babe slip from its mother's arms into a pool of water, and it was completely within their power to save the child, they would not, unless there was something to gain by it. Ergo, evil by inaction.

By the same token, if some tyrannical despot was slaughtering tens of thousands in his/her quest for world domination, once again they would do nothing (so long as that person's actions have no affect on their own agenda). If, however, that merciless maniac had a potent magical device that Larloch (or the Sojourner) coveted, then it would be well within their personality (and power) to whisk-in, annihilate the tyrant, and take the object of their desires from his/her cold, dead fingers.

In that light, all 'the innocents' that witnessed that act would view Larloch (or the sojourner) as a 'Great Hero'.

In none of these examples are they behaving evilly (for evil's sake) - they are just doing whatever they want to whomever they want - TRUE neutral. The alignments of people they help or harm have absolutely no bearing upon their own actions.

So its all a matter of how you look at it.

Suppose I figured out a way to 'save the world', but I had to sacrifice a few measly million people to do it. Would I be cast as history's greatest villain, or its savior? The act itself is not good nor evil - its the intent behind the act.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Nov 2010 15:04:00
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  22:13:18  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

One man's 'evil' is another man's 'neutral'.

Larloch is evil in the same way The Sojourner was evil. Neither went out of their was to commit evil acts, but they certainly would not bother to do something 'nice', even if it cost them nothing to do so.

They are TRUE neutral, in that they are completely self-absorbed, self-interested, self-vested, and self-serving. Everything exists merely to amuse them and help them achieve their goals. The lives of others are meaningless, and therefor they are considered evil by normal standards.

----

The act itself is not good nor evil - its the intent behind the act.

Ed himself already said that whatever Larloch is up to, it is always evil. I see no reason to disagree with him, as (unfortunately due to NDAs)there's so much MORE that he hasn't revealed yet about Larloch.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2010 :  15:16:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not disagreeing with Ed's definition of Larloch - that would be absurd.

I'm disagreeing with most folks' (including Ed) definition of evil. I don't see being completely self-serving as evil. A serial Killer is evil, because he is committing evil acts just to be evil. Someone who indulges in wanton cruelty just because they enjoy it is evil.

Larloch and the Sojournor don't do those things just to do them - they are a means to an end. If there is any evil involved, it's the completely dispassionate way they feel toward other sentient beings. larloch is not one of those people who are working toward the 'end of the world' (as the idiotic Shades are - that's what Shar is all about). If anything, Larloch would be one of the first to protect Toril from destruction, if for no other reason then it is a source for all his 'kewl toys'.

He does not use his power wastefully - he is very conservative about when and where he acts. He is extremely methodical.

Then again, I may have stumbled upon the definition of 'lawful evil'. A sociopath is LE, and a psychopath is CE.

But I still think guys like Larloch are not evil in the same way 'lesser beings' are. Not knowing Larloch's 'true agenda', I guess I can't really make that call, but he doesn't seem the nihilistic type.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Nov 2010 15:17:17
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2010 :  23:44:45  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm disagreeing with most folks' (including Ed) definition of evil.

And what definition by Ed would that be? That Larloch is self-serving? That he ceaselessly sends his minions or controls distant Realms leaders to do some nefarious tasks? That he remains impassive towards the suffering of others, even his servitors? What we know of his PLANS is but a mote of the gargantuan picture, an insignificant grain of sand in a vast desert. When Ed said that Larloch IS evil, I cast my agreement. FOR THE TIME BEING. That doesn't mean I won't change my mind. I agree with his definition because there's much he's withholding (NDAs), and there's much he (as he himself said) doesn't know about the lich.

quote:

Larloch and the Sojournor don't do those things just to do them - they are a means to an end. If there is any evil involved, it's the completely dispassionate way they feel toward other sentient beings. larloch is not one of those people who are working toward the 'end of the world' (as the idiotic Shades are - that's what Shar is all about). If anything, Larloch would be one of the first to protect Toril from destruction, if for no other reason then it is a source for all his 'kewl toys'.

...he doesn't seem the nihilistic type.

It's true that his aim is not to destroy the world. But that does NOT make him less evil, nor 'neutral.' In the same way it doesn't make Asmodeus less evil that he doesn't want the Nine Hells to be destroyed. Where else would they, Asmodeus and Larloch, reside or get their 'playthings' from should they destroy their domains?!

On your 'colorful' assumption about the Shades: Funny to hear that from one who DID NOT nor plan to read The Twilight War trilogy. Just so you know, NOT all in Shade Enclave is in favor of Shar's will. Heh, Telamont himself COMMANDED Rivalen to stop the Shadowstorm (something that Shar wanted to happen, as it did in the long-devasted world, Ephyras). And he too even asked his son if he was the right man for it, considering he was the Nightseer. Also, having known how much he LOVED his wife, it's easy to suspect that he's devising plans to exact revenge on Shar, the very goddess who engineered her beloved's death. He blamed Rivalen for actually killing her, but he blamed Shar MORE. Perhaps he's helping some of Shar's nemeses to kill her forever. And he doesn't have to worry about its effects to the Shadow Weave (where he's getting his power) because if the Weave survived without Mystra, so can the SW without Shar. Also, note that Telamont – and by extension the denizens of the entire Netheril Empire – said he wanted to RULE the world, NOT END it. That said, DO NOT ASSUME that the Shades are into 'end of the world' balderdash, most specially that you obviously lack proofs.

Edited by - Dennis on 09 Nov 2010 17:08:06
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2011 :  12:52:23  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Time for another what-if...

Instead of making the novels stand-alone, what if WotC uses a “huge problem” (maybe another “minor” RSE, not the SP-level) that would tie-in all the novels. This problem will be dealt by the villains in their individual domains, and at the end of each book the said problem will be stopped, but not utterly, just delayed. And then in the very last book, all the villains will rise to eliminate the problem for good---they don't necessarily have to band together, but more like “coordinate” their effort to ascertain success.

Do you think this will work out fine? If yes, what “huge problem” do think will fit this series?

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2011 :  14:32:44  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A Chosen of Asmodeus. By me. Work in progress.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2011 :  18:49:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Instead of making the novels stand-alone, what if WotC uses a “huge problem” (maybe another “minor” RSE, not the SP-level) that would tie-in all the novels. This problem will be dealt by the villains in their individual domains, and at the end of each book the said problem will be stopped, but not utterly, just delayed. And then in the very last book, all the villains will rise to eliminate the problem for good---they don't necessarily have to band together, but more like “coordinate” their effort to ascertain success.

Do you think this will work out fine? If yes, what “huge problem” do think will fit this series?

I don't see this working... One villain's problem is another villain's opportunity -- what could inconvenience or derail the plans of one may give a huge boost to the plans of another.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2011 :  19:33:18  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

A Chosen of Asmodeus. By me. Work in progress.

Or Asmodeus himself. I hope for a better representation than the one in Elminster in Hell. He looked like a fool before Mystra there.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  00:24:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I don't see this working... One villain's problem is another villain's opportunity -- what could inconvenience or derail the plans of one may give a huge boost to the plans of another.

Indeed.

Especially if they're a plans-within-plans-type villain. Kinda like an evil and/or villainous version of Khelben.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  01:04:04  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

'Tis time to make Larloch "Known" in the Realms.

I agree that Tam's and Halaster's stories are best rendered in a trilogy. But the stand-alone novel of each could be some sort of an introduction or overview to the trilogy. Much like Blackstaff in The Wizards ---such a long, fulfilled life hardly fits a single novel. I think Schend better write a trilogy of him...

And I think the new villains in the series, should there be, will be best presented were they to be somehow connected to these (the five old in my list) established, long-staying, fearsome villains.

Disagree. What exactly are they going to do with the guy who takes no chances and just wants to experiment in peace?

He works better as the large unknown
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  19:13:17  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After the Larloch novel people like Dannis would demand an even higher level guy. Where it ends. Magnificent idea about the lich-nerd, you don't see many such characters in a badass setting.

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  19:19:42  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

After the Larloch novel people like Dannis would demand an even higher level guy. Where it ends. Magnificent idea about the lich-nerd, you don't see many such characters in a badass setting.

If they used Larloch at all, I would rather just show him having cameo's or secondary character roles in a few of the books meddling in the affairs of others through his liches, or something along those lines
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2011 :  17:14:45  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
couldnt agree more.characters like larloch should be almost like urban legends.people are never sure just how much truth there is in any of the stories around him.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2011 :  08:59:07  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

After the Larloch novel people like Dennis would demand an even higher level guy. Where it ends. Magnificent idea about the lich-nerd, you don't see many such characters in a badass setting.

I don't think so. No need for characters who are supposed to be higher level than Larloch. Many would love it if he remains "undefeated."

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  02:31:38  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The zulkirs managed to "unite" to stop a common foe, why couldn't other villains?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  02:43:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

The zulkirs managed to "unite" to stop a common foe, why couldn't other villains?

They at least had a common interest: Thay. What common interest would Manshoon, Szass Tam and Larloch share?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  02:44:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Because the zulkirs have an established history of "working together" against threats to their power -- when required. Most other disparate foes uniting against a common threat don't often have the same needs to protect their collective interests -- probably because they'd likely be forever wondering how to exploit the other villains for their own advantage.

I'm not saying it couldn't work. Just that it's less likely than having a groups of foes, like the zulkirs, who already have a history of working together for common cause. Think Marvel Super-Villain Team-Up and you'll get the idea.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  02:55:22  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But they're not the same zulkirs who opposed Tam, nor was their impasse the same as what the zulkirs in the time of the Haunted Lands faced. Same title, but different people.

Of course my "suggestion" can work. The only question is what kind of crisis will the villains face that would "prompt" them to coordinate their efforts. It would even be better if we include in the "alliance" a few heroes or good-aligned realms like Corymyr and Aglarond. I can't think of a great crisis that would fit the story at the moment. But there can be one, though I don't want it to be of the same level as the SP.

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  03:09:45  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Because the zulkirs have an established history of "working together" against threats to their power -- when required. Most other disparate foes uniting against a common threat don't often have the same needs to protect their collective interests -- probably because they'd likely be forever wondering how to exploit the other villains for their own advantage.

I'm not saying it couldn't work. Just that it's less likely than having a groups of foes, like the zulkirs, who already have a history of working together for common cause. Think Marvel Super-Villain Team-Up and you'll get the idea.

I thought the inevitable back stabbery circle of doom and/or death was half the fun of villain team ups. Part of the tension is wondering when the "allies" start turning on each other (kind of like some zombie movies, or Survivor).

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  03:16:03  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I thought the inevitable back stabbery circle of doom and/or death was half the fun of villain team ups. Part of the tension is wondering when the "allies" start turning on each other (kind of like some zombie movies, or Survivor).

Zulkirs never had a grand type of alliance---where almost all of them teamed up against a common enemy, except that one time in Thay's history which Ed provided not so long time ago. But even then, there was a "dominant" zulkir who kind of "forced" his colleagues to unite. I forgot his name.

Anyway, zulkirs teamed up in small numbers, usually just a duo or trio, with one or two preferring to be neutral. Never that kind of alliance we've seen in the HL trilogy.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2011 :  00:51:21  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

How about having The Zulkirs as a "series" of stand-alone novels? Starting from the very first Zulkirate to the most recent one. I think those zulkirs that Ed mentioned deserve some novel time.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2011 :  14:34:59  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

How about having The Zulkirs as a "series" of stand-alone novels? Starting from the very first Zulkirate to the most recent one. I think those zulkirs that Ed mentioned deserve some novel time.

I would definitely dive into this series!

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2011 :  14:54:05  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:

Other than the time when they first rose to power, I would also like to see their childhood, especially Lallara's, Nevron's, and Szass Tam's.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  03:12:06  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Other than the time when they first rose to power, I would also like to see their childhood, especially Lallara's, Nevron's, and Szass Tam's.

A pre-Drizzt Entreri series would be great too

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2011 :  07:28:14  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Given Drizzt’s popularity, I would not be surprised if all the villains he’d faced would each have a book in the series focusing on their exploits. I am not certain if I would like it, but I am not averse to the idea, either.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2011 :  13:50:36  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Given Drizzt’s popularity, I would not be surprised if all the villains he’d faced would each have a book in the series focusing on their exploits. I am not certain if I would like it, but I am not averse to the idea, either.
[/quote]

I (obviously) love Entreri's character, and i have been hooked ever since he first appeared in the Crystal Shard when he kidnapped Cattie-Brie. I generally love books about assassin's as well

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 21 Oct 2011 13:54:10
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1281 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2011 :  17:22:34  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pre-Drizzt Entreri has that short story (name escapes me) from when he was 14 and rose to Lieutenant in the Pasha's guild. It's a bit far fetched to see a 14 year old do what he does, and gives a lot of not so subtle references to child molestation/rape...but it's good reading on Entreri's first kill.

I think there are lots of stories from pre-Crystal Shard and as a bonus Regis could figure highly in them, not sure if it would conflict with cannon if they had a relationship while working for the Pasha. But it would be a cool series.

I wish Kimmuriel woudl get a short story, possibly about how he fled House Oblodra and ended up in the Bregan D'aerthe. (Forgive my spelling here)

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2011 :  17:28:00  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Pre-Drizzt Entreri has that short story (name escapes me) from when he was 14 and rose to Lieutenant in the Pasha's guild. It's a bit far fetched to see a 14 year old do what he does, and gives a lot of not so subtle references to child molestation/rape...but it's good reading on Entreri's first kill.

I think there are lots of stories from pre-Crystal Shard and as a bonus Regis could figure highly in them, not sure if it would conflict with cannon if they had a relationship while working for the Pasha. But it would be a cool series.

I wish Kimmuriel woudl get a short story, possibly about how he fled House Oblodra and ended up in the Bregan D'aerthe. (Forgive my spelling here)

Is this the "Third Level" short story from Realms of Infamy? Loved that one

Go to Top of Page

Idamar of Thay
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2011 :  19:31:38  Show Profile Send Idamar of Thay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love to see the rise to power of many popular villains. The early life of Szass Tam and his eventual mastery and transformation into an undead. Jarlaxle's clever manipulation in forming Bregan D'Aerthe.

And if authors are reluctant to dig too much in villain's past, lest is break their mystique (I'd like to call it, Pulling a Darth Vader), another interesting ideas would be a story based on popular sentient monsters. I would love to peer deeper into Beholder societies, the work of Illithids, etc... The Blood War itself deserves a good novel of two.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2011 :  19:38:54  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Idamar of Thay

I would love to see the rise to power of many popular villains. The early life of Szass Tam and his eventual mastery and transformation into an undead. Jarlaxle's clever manipulation in forming Bregan D'Aerthe.

And if authors are reluctant to dig too much in villain's past, lest is break their mystique (I'd like to call it, Pulling a Darth Vader), another interesting ideas would be a story based on popular sentient monsters. I would love to peer deeper into Beholder societies, the work of Illithids, etc... The Blood War itself deserves a good novel of two.

The Planescape series has a Blood Wars Trilogy published in the late 90's written by J. Robert King. I haven't read them so i'm not sure if they are GOOD or not

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000