Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Gauntlgrym: Neverwinter, Book I -- SPOILERS
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Merrith
Learned Scribe

135 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2010 :  05:28:42  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by geok1ng

If barrabus is Entreri, then i would love to read :

Where is Charon's Claw and the jewelled dagger?

How did the netherese got hold of Entreri?

How come the Barrabus "killed" drows in Luskan and betrayed Bregan Daerthe?

There are a few gaps on the reasoning that Barrabus IS Entreri that must be filled,

I have a hard time watching Entreri become a slave again,and serving the Netherese is harder still...Entreri as we knowed would rather die.

Of course EVERYONE is ansious to read tales of Artemis Entreri life again. "Charming is a learned art= So is murder." But i refuse to believe that a simple young elf is Entreri's equal in swordplay...after 100 years i would expect him to become better, maybe better than Drizzt, whose spirit is broken, while Entreri's spirit got wiser.

But the Spellplague is a wonderful excuse to weaken and snare great Chars from previous era.

The location of Charron's Claw is revealed in the book. Not trying to blow spoilers but you pretty much already did, so the character in question's service to the Netherese is explained at least a little bit although exact details are not in this book. It wasn't exactly portrayed as Dahlia being his equal in fighting skill, essentially was said her unusual weapon posed an interesting challenge and especially with the loss of Charron's Claw and apparently his infamous dagger (no real explanation where this went) he was at a minor disadvantage compared to the past.

As far as I know he didn't kill any drow in Luskan either, he was down south when the supposed confrontation occurred. I'm sure more will be revealed in the next few books.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  14:10:56  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, fellow scribes!

Incidentally, there's an 'oversupply' of this book in our bookstores. I heard Szass Tam, one of my favorite characters, makes an appearance here. Is he significant to the plot? Also, as I randomly read a few posts, I see that the Shades (another favorite) are also involved. Are they the princes of Shade or their lowly servitors? What's their role in the story?

I'm actually tempted to buy the book. If I do, will I be at a loss, considering that I NEVER read a Drizzt novel before? Not a single one. (I am not his fan. Never was.)

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 03 Nov 2010 14:20:05
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  14:19:28  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to think its a significant part.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  14:20:55  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, he isn't a major part of this plot. one of his minions is. I rather thought that Szass hadn't had his morning cup of arsenic and herbal tea actually. :/

I don't know if you would like a "Drizzt" novel since Drizzt himself isn't super significant to the story either. Nor is Dhalia, despite the debate above. You'd have to wade through their parts to get to the main events as carried out by Jarlaxle, Athrogate and Bruenor. Their parts weren't bad at all. I'd hold off until it's in paperback though.

Rants and reviews that interest no one may be found here.
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  14:23:35  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you have a basic understanding as to who all the characters are? As in Drizzt and his friends? What gauntlgrym is as far as lore goes. If the answer to these two questions is yes. Then you shouldn't have a problem following the novel. And as you well know if you have any questions these threads are full of people who can answer them.
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  14:26:54  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lady Fellshot: I couldn't agree more with him not being very active in the plot....but he does play a significant part. Enough for a fan to read wouldn't you say? Besides isn't a minion just an extension of of ones ideals?;)
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  14:40:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thanks guys for the quick replies!

Here's more:

I love the Haunted Lands trilogy, and I like Richard's use of the Dread Rings. I've known through Sandro (in QfRLB, CoS section) that there's one built in the Sword Coast. Is it pivotal to the story?

What exactly is the conflict? Clearing Neverwinter of the Shadovar, who, if I'm not mistaken, came there to recover a fallen enclave? Who are these Shadovar? The princes themselves? Some archmages or fighter (or maids) who appeared ONLY in this book?

I kinda like Gromph, too. And I see he's in this novel as well. Is he important to the story?

Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  14:58:07  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah that would give too much of the plot away:)...but the conflict involves a primordial...not the clearing of Neverwinter. Maybe next book in the trilogy. It does involve a dread ring as well.

Gromph is used to further the plot. Minor though.
Go to Top of Page

Ruul
Seeker

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  15:15:29  Show Profile  Visit Ruul's Homepage Send Ruul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Valas Hune is in the book for a few pages too. Reason enough right there to buy the book. =)
Go to Top of Page

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  15:25:42  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
--"Jarlaxle's grin disappeared as he turned his attention to Drizzt. He watched the fury of the drow unleashed. Jarlaxle had seen Drizzt in action many times before, but never like that".

--"He fights with more...fury than I recall" -- Jarlaxle

I finally got a chance to read this and I loved it! A great story. I loved how Drizzt is now in a darker place. A great end to some of my favorite characters. Bruenor will forever be one of the greatest dwarves in the Forgotten Realms history. And we can't forget about Pwent. What a great ending for these two.

Lots of insight into Jarlaxle and even Athrogate. I'm liking how we get more and more information about them with each novel.

I'm still not sure how I feel about Dhalia. I'll reserve any judgement until the next few novels.

All in all I think Salvatore did a great job with this one. So full of action and plot! I'll post more comments later when I have some more time.

"Jarlaxle's grin disappeared as he turned his attention to Drizzt. He watched the fury of the drow unleashed. Jarlaxle had seen Drizzt in action many times before, but never like that".
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  16:08:28  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drizztsmanchild

Ah that would give too much of the plot away:)...but the conflict involves a primordial...not the clearing of Neverwinter. Maybe next book in the trilogy. It does involve a dread ring as well.

Can you name the primordial? Is he or she one of the elemental lords, or one of the 'Seven Lost Gods'?

Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  17:20:27  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The primordial is not named.

The main players from the Shadovar contingent are Alegni (shadow teifling) and Barrabus the grey (who bears a very, very strong resemblance to Entreri). And they are nominally looking for that fallen Enclave (can't remember the name) but it's a really minor part of the book.

SLD, as far as I could tell the only "significant part" Drizzt had was of face time that would have been better spent on Athrogate, jarlaxle and Bruenor (all of whom I like). And no, I don't consider myself "a fan." I might have managed to get myself kicked off the RAS forums for being a critic instead of "a fan."

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  18:04:19  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thanks, Lady Fellshot. Those two Shadovar are most probably Bob's own creations, as I can't recall any novel where they appeared or at the very least were mentioned in passing. (And I am the kind of Realms fan who reads almost everything about Shade).

Go to Top of Page

Merrith
Learned Scribe

135 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  19:00:45  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The transition in character Drizzt is showing makes him much more interesting for me going forward, I was a huge fan of his for awhile but it got tired and old as the books dragged on...as you see more of his ties to Jarlaxle and how everything that has happened has affected him I feel like he's interesting again after this book.

The enclave they are looking for is Xinlenal, the first floating enclave which was made by Ioulaum. It tried to flee the Fall but obviously not far enough.

Szass Tam's role is more that of a driver of events from behind the scenes, although he has some brief face time and a few of the major players are involved with him.

The continued development of Jarlaxle and Athrogate are of great interest to me, as is Drizzt's "darker" outlook on life in general...coupled with the obviously confrontations coming up involving him, "Barrabus the Grey", and probably Dahlia. The tone is a little different from the last couple Drizzt books, and it's the best one in awhile for sure.
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  19:15:19  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

Thanks, Lady Fellshot. Those two Shadovar are most probably Bob's own creations, as I can't recall any novel where they appeared or at the very least were mentioned in passing. (And I am the kind of Realms fan who reads almost everything about Shade).

The Shadovar are minor (apparently) characters, who exist mainly due to their connection with one of the an/protagonists. If I'm being honest, I would very much not suggest that you read this novel before having read the rest of the Legend of Drizzt: there's too much backstory involving Jarlaxle, Athrogate and others, let alone Bruenor and Drizzt himself to appreciate the novel fully without knowing it, especially the major occurrences at the end of the Transitions trilogy.

Just my two cents, of course.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  19:48:02  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sandro

quote:
Originally posted by dennis

The Shadovar are minor (apparently) characters, who exist mainly due to their connection with one of the an/protagonists. If I'm being honest, I would very much not suggest that you read this novel before having read the rest of the Legend of Drizzt: there's too much backstory involving Jarlaxle, Athrogate and others, let alone Bruenor and Drizzt himself to appreciate the novel fully without knowing it, especially the major occurrences at the end of the Transitions trilogy.

Just my two cents, of course.

So I should read The Transitions trilogy at least? That would be enough? Please don't tell me I have to read from Homeland onwards...

Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2010 :  00:11:32  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well... I would say that you could start with Gauntlgrym and if you wanted to and go back and look up the things you were interested in, that would be a viable option. The book isn't so narratively complicated as to require a start from way in the Dark elf trilogy. I'm sure some of the scribes here can tell you which books to look though if you do have questions regarding backstory.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2010 :  00:31:47  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I guess I could do that. I'll just post my queries here if I stumble upon things in the novel that confuse me. Be heading to the bookstore later. Again.

Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2010 :  03:53:35  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you were to start anywhere, I'd personally suggest The Hunter's Blades trilogy, as it very much sets up the whole latter part of Drizzt's adventures, and the Transitions series (especially The Orc King) will make much less sense without having read through it.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2010 :  04:30:20  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL The Orc King never made much sense to me period.

Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2010 :  05:27:22  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Fellshot

LOL The Orc King never made much sense to me period.

I do believe that's a different issue entirely.

Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2010 :  05:37:48  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, a problem in the book to reader logic interface, but I'm sure that's another thread entirely.

Go to Top of Page

Alian LeLoss
Acolyte

Russia
2 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2010 :  14:07:16  Show Profile  Visit Alian LeLoss's Homepage Send Alian LeLoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do anyone got Dahlia's stats?

Life is like Death... only Backward.
Go to Top of Page

G3nn
Acolyte

Portugal
1 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2010 :  19:37:03  Show Profile  Visit G3nn's Homepage Send G3nn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished reading Gauntlgrym and loved it... Second time in a row Salvatore almost brings tears to my eyes, the first one being the death of both Catti-brie and Regis... And now with Bruenor and Pwent!

I can't wait for the next one...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000