Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 New Campaign! Lore Suggestions?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2010 :  12:10:44  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Moonsea/ Cormanthor
I'm going to have the players all make characters from cormanthor and the countries surrounding it.

Will be set shortly before death of Mystra.
Not sure how yet, but players will catch wind of the likely end of the world, and there will be a time limit in-game.

If they succeed: they find access to a time gate, and they and a mage retreat into faerun's distant past. At this point they'll be like level 5. Adventuring and leveling up will happen likely in arcane age. They will possibly prevent the fall of myth drannor (by being very clever they will have to stop the army of demons - their motivation to do so will be more to strand themselves in the past and avoid the end of the world than to save cormanthor, though They likely warn mystryl of her death and her successors and throw a monkey wrench into it that way too.

if they fail, I deal with the fallout of mystra's death, and the sundering of the weave. The campaign likely ends a couple levels after that.

Obviously the back to the past thing is the more interesting.

So. Lore suggestions?
I'm looking for: Moonsea lore, 1385 cormanthor area/MD, arcane age MD/cormanthor. Mythals, applicable magic, etc.

What I have: 2e Myth Drannor Boxed Set.
Cormanthyr Empire of Elves.
Last Mythal Trilogy

Generic Other FR stuff.

Stuff that isnt in novel form is better.

If anyone has compiled/written stuff that may be useful that would be cool too.

Does anyone have suggestions for the campaign or for lore?

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)

Edited by - Sylrae on 16 Jun 2010 12:11:22

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2010 :  12:36:01  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool idea!

There was a Perilous Portal article covering time portals and time-travel magic and hazards: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pg/20030402x

Also, the 3e Mysteries of the Moonsea book might be handy for mining maps and side quests, but it concentrates largely on the northern Moonsea area, I think.

Right, so the PCs somehow become aware that Mystra is about to go bang and the only way to escape the apocalypse is through legging it back in time, right? Early game: they either discover how to go back to the Arcane Age, presumably in the general vicinity of Myth Drannor, or they can't make it out in time and die in a hail of blue fire and exploding wizards...

Is the idea to go back in time and prevent the Fall of Myth Drannor and Karsus Folly, or simply to escape and happen to wind up in the rather awesome Arcane Age?

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2010 :  13:17:38  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only thing I'd put forth is what happens if they don't want to use the time portal?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2010 :  14:40:38  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

The only thing I'd put forth is what happens if they don't want to use the time portal?

Or what happens if they decide to go forward in time?

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2010 :  14:52:57  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Presumably the PCs will not come into possession of a TARDIS, so having them run amok across all of time and space is unlikely to be an issue. :)

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2010 :  15:33:15  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My first idea would be to force them in (i.e a swarm of baddies surrounds them, or the ceiling starts collapsing for some reason, and the only way out is the portal). I know, it's cheesy, but it is better than a ruined campaign.
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2010 :  15:57:57  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A strong and clear incentive to leap through the portal should do the trick, really. If the PCs (or the players, at least) didn't want to go adventuring then they wouldn't be at the gaming table in the first place. In my experience, if the PCs/players have to be forced into anything, the game's gone pear-shaped anyway.

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2010 :  16:10:05  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In that case they would suffer the consequences(sp?) of the Spellplague.
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2010 :  19:54:52  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
if they opt out of the time travel they get to live through the end of hte world.

They can't go forward, in cormanthyr empire of elves it says time gates only go back, bring you somewhere on the first day of the year in the calendar you specify (or simply the calendar appropriate to the location), and you're there for exactly one year. If history has changed enough that the world is significantly different than when you left, you get stranded in the past.

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000