Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 How to consider magic in 4ed Realms...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2010 :  10:37:56  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi!

I want to share with you scribes this idea, still developing in my mind about magic in my FR campaign. What do you think about it? Is lore consistent enough?

In the post spellplague post 100y jump Realms, as known, raw magic is suffusing every bit of matter.

There are a lot of different meaning to master magic, each class do this one way or another, sometimes even unconsciously. There are those who can master it because of their faith in a god, those who train incessantely, those who directly study it for what it is... etc...

Now... Raw magic is wild and powerfull, highly destructive if not handed carefully. This could explain the (mainly) harming (and flashy) nature of each class power.
But, after all, magic could still be used for more "classical" effect if used by the mean of a ritual.

This reasoning is somehow connected with http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13416

Thanks!

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2010 :  11:24:13  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, that all sounds pretty good. I can't see any way that it might contradict the lore.

EDIT: speaking of rituals and spells, it might be fun to convert some of the old classics (Realmsian and otherwise) to 4e. I'm sure someone's had a go somewhere.

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html

Edited by - Cleric Generic on 16 Jun 2010 11:27:30
Go to Top of Page

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2010 :  14:30:53  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Yup, that all sounds pretty good. I can't see any way that it might contradict the lore.

This may even explain why there is not a god/goddess for magic... Too much powerful! (Of course, if Mystra is dead in your campaign).
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2010 :  16:04:13  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arioch

quote:

This may even explain why there is not a god/goddess for magic... Too much powerful! (Of course, if Mystra is dead in your campaign).

I think that is one of the reasons given for why they axed her in the first place IIRC.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2010 :  16:09:54  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:

quote:

I think that is one of the reasons given for why they axed her in the first place IIRC.

The other being to explain why wizards no longer need to prepare their spells I think.

I'm about halfway through Blackstaff Tower, and from what I've seen, magic is frown upon and spellcasters are not easily trusted (just like, say Athkatla in 137X). So yeah, raw magic should be considered highly destructive (it is).

Edited by - Kilvan on 16 Jun 2010 16:10:27
Go to Top of Page

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2010 :  16:26:08  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, only: martial related power are not officially related to anything magical (as stated also by Mr. Erik Scott de Bie in the above linked post)...
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2010 :  16:31:58  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wizards still prepare their bigger spells (dailies) by sitting down with their spellbooks and memorising the ones they want on hand. I can't think of any reason why applying the same spell preparation principle to encounters and at-wills would be a major problem...

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2010 :  16:34:21  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cleric Generic

Wizards still prepare their bigger spells (dailies) by sitting down with their spellbooks and memorising the ones they want on hand. I can't think of any reason why applying the same spell preparation principle to encounters and at-wills would be a major problem...

Agree As we discussed in the other thread my problem is with the martial power source, not with the (directly) magical ones.
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2010 :  16:57:30  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not think that martial power source, even a monk's Ki, should have anything to do with magic (or psionic). I prefer to see it as a formidable physical performance, allowing him to do impressive magic-like stuff. It is purely technique, strenght and speed that allows them such feats. I don't play 4th ed, but I do use the Tome of battle (which is a pre-4th-ed basically), and that's how I use it. And yes, there are techniques that let the fighter's sword burst in fire or that allows him to move hyper-fast or jump super-high. No magic there, just technique (pure, hard, martial expertise).

The key is to remember that it is a fantasy world, and everything fantastic is not necessarily magical (IMHO).
Go to Top of Page

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2010 :  18:06:26  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

The key is to remember that it is a fantasy world, and everything fantastic is not necessarily magical (IMHO).

Sorry but I do not agree with you [:-)]. I respect your point of view but for me a world is fantasy (Fantasy = fantastic? I'm not so sure...) because there is magic in it (low, high... it is your choice). And things that look magical, are magical (aside for deceptions) at least in some form.

There are of course differences: not every martial exploit tap into magic as its source! I just say that a fighter, with hard training, could reach such a level of perfection in his arts to (unknowingly) tap a very limited portion of magic to boost his abilities.
(Agreed that paralize an enemy or disappear from enemy's sight for a while can be obtained with outstanding performances... but to ignite a sword for me is quasi-magical).

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2010 :  18:29:36  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see

Well of course, your theory makes sense, so if it works for you, go ahead. In my case, at some point, I just don't care, because the exact origin of a certain effect or technique won't change the result (of course) nor will it affect rope-play in any way. I must draw a line to things I want to explain or understand, martial prowess almost magical would be that line.
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  05:29:53  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I think she served as limiter for spellcaster so they could not harness the power that could destroy Toril. And she had spell scrolls humans yet not invented.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000