Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Manshoon Questions
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

jordanz
Senior Scribe

556 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  03:11:16  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Manshoon

Ok so there is just one Manshoon left - the Vampire clone or would it be two including the original Manshoon? Also why haven't we seen more of this guy?

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  04:24:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only the Manshoon clone, as Orbakh the Night King, remains in the 4e Realms. The clone with Halaster was destroyed during the Spellplague, and the third remaining clone was killed during the Netherese assault on Zhentil Keep.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  05:46:11  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that totally blows.

I believe a clone or three are out there somewhere...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  06:26:48  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So what happened to the original Manshoon in 4E? But yeah, I tend to agree with Brimstone on that.

Edit: Found my answer in the link on this page.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 18 May 2010 19:43:43
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  16:18:55  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my 4e Realms there are some clones left who are hiding and in disguise. One of them has changed gender
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  16:41:30  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had always supposed that at least one (and likely more) of the clones had migrated into Realmspace or beyond, not to mention those that likely took flight to other planes. I giggle thinking of the clone that made it to Oerth and ran into anotherKhelben there. I bet that you could hear the 'Nooooooooooooo' all the way in Waterdeep.
Also, wasn't there a clone living in Candlekeep? And another living under the protection of the Simbul?

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  17:13:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

Also, wasn't there a clone living in Candlekeep? And another living under the protection of the Simbul?
Officially, I don't believe we've learned anything [I can't recall at the moment] beyond what was revealed in Cloak & Dagger regarding those particular clones of Manshoon. All we've been told is that a Manshoon clone spent some time with the Simbul, and that he's not there now [as of 3e]. And while I'm hoping Ed may indeed have more... it's likely this little tidbit is indeed safely looked away behind an NDA.

Edited by - The Sage on 18 May 2010 17:14:40
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  18:53:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. NDA'd indeed, with just this tease: the Ed story in REALMS OF THE DEAD isn't the last we've seen of Manshoon (Ed tells me). So far as he knows, the vampire Manshoon is the last clone left IN THE REALMS at this time ("this time" being the Year of the Ageless One).
Bwoohahahaha, and so forth...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  19:40:26  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It makes one wonder... about certain characters other than Manshoon... but I'm still puzzling over that "great secret of the Realms" involving Mystryl's Chosen... I suspect it has something to do with the fact that still-living Chosen of any incarnation of the Lady of Mysteries carry with them a part of the essence of their goddess, likely even after the deity's passing... but I really need to be pointed toward published sources that contain further hints; I have too much Realmslore to go back through it all, particularly with the other projects I've caught myself up in lately.

Can you tell me which of my books I should be re-reading, Ed or THO? If it's a publication to do with the Realms and not a novel, I probably own it, unless it's a 4E DDI article or a Polyhedron article from before the merger with Dungeon. I've not been able to find back issues of Polyhedron at all.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Edited by - Jakk on 18 May 2010 19:48:51
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  19:48:11  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back on topic: If Manshoon is now a vampire, can he still advance in level? Or is he "frozen" at the level he had attained when he was discovered and drained by Orbakh?

Oh, and the "IN THE REALMS" qualifier surprises me not at all... after all, that was all that was needed to end the Manshoon Wars.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  20:04:00  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a feeling he will be showing up in Elminster Must Die.

I could be wrong...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  20:47:32  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Back on topic: If Manshoon is now a vampire, can he still advance in level? Or is he "frozen" at the level he had attained when he was discovered and drained by Orbakh?

Oh, and the "IN THE REALMS" qualifier surprises me not at all... after all, that was all that was needed to end the Manshoon Wars.

I've yet to come across anything to suggest that a vampire can't advance in levels, and I can't think how being a vampire would impede arcane research unless it was on the Daylight spell...

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2010 :  00:58:09  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't see what the issue is really as The Real Manshoon can just make more clones of himself?

Perhaps his clones in 4E are no longer clones, but functioning living 'no longer compulsive slayers of each other' wizards and so we don't know about them as they are not gallivanting around proclaiming to be Manshhon?

Just a few thoughts

Cheers

Damian
ps I think Manshoon and the Clone Wars are a brilliant piece of Realmslore and gaming potential - a really brilliant creative piece for DM's to play with

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2010 :  01:20:30  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Heh. NDA'd indeed, with just this tease: the Ed story in REALMS OF THE DEAD isn't the last we've seen of Manshoon (Ed tells me). So far as he knows, the vampire Manshoon is the last clone left IN THE REALMS at this time ("this time" being the Year of the Ageless One).
Bwoohahahaha, and so forth...
love,
THO

And just in case you all missed the subtle hint from our Good Lady - have bolded it for you

Cheers

Damian

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2010 :  08:26:47  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As we're on the topic of Manshoon questions: That moronic mask? Is it described in some story why he wears that thing?I've seen him depicted with this mask, especially in 3E, but is it described why and when somewhere?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2010 :  08:38:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

As we're on the topic of Manshoon questions: That moronic mask? Is it described in some story why he wears that thing?I've seen him depicted with this mask, especially in 3E, but is it described why and when somewhere?

It's just artistic license, really. Back in May '04 Ed, in reply to a query about Manshoon's mask in 3e, said:-
quote:
Gerath Hoan, about Manshoon: I of course prefer my original, but the gorget (which of course by its name should be a throat collar, and not any sort of mask) is okay as a distinctive look for ONE of the clones.

Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2010 :  09:15:02  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

It's just artistic license, really. Back in May '04 Ed, in reply to a query about Manshoon's mask in 3e, said:-
quote:
Gerath Hoan, about Manshoon: I of course prefer my original, but the gorget (which of course by its name should be a throat collar, and not any sort of mask) is okay as a distinctive look for ONE of the clones.

Ah cool beans. I thought it would be something like that. I just reread The Knight of Myth Drannor trilogy, in which he had some cameos, and the mask/gorget was never mentioned, so i just had to ask. Thanks Sage.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2010 :  21:23:50  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting that crazedadventurers was the only one to mention
the real Manshoon. That's the 1 thing I thought of when
I saw the Hooded ones comments.
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2010 :  21:39:52  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Mm, it seems to me there was a discussion around here a while ago where the possibility of the real Manshoon still being around, and having simply used the Manshoon wars as an excuse to disappear from the "public eye", such as it is.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2010 :  21:52:47  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sandro

quote:

Mm, it seems to me there was a discussion around here a while ago where the possibility of the real Manshoon still being around, and having simply used the Manshoon wars as an excuse to disappear from the "public eye", such as it is.

I like that theory too... Manshoon sets his clones off at each other's throats, and disappears in the chaos...

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2010 :  21:57:51  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The link to the original discussion is in the nice blue bold writing in my other post

Gald I could be of service :)

Cheers

Damian
who is not obsessed by Manshoon, no not at all......

shudder,
love to all,
THO

Edited by - crazedventurers on 19 May 2010 21:58:37
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2010 :  22:01:10  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:
Originally posted by Sandro

quote:

I like that theory too... Manshoon sets his clones off at each other's throats, and disappears in the chaos...

A clever ploy! A diversion, but from what.. hmm
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2010 :  23:12:47  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what... I have a few theories, but I think that's something that's best tailored to the individual DM's campaign... unless there's a big, lore-intensive explanation that can be folded into canon neatly... does anybody have something like that?

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2010 :  23:20:23  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cleric Generic

[quote]I've yet to come across anything to suggest that a vampire can't advance in levels, and I can't think how being a vampire would impede arcane research unless it was on the Daylight spell...

Okay... spellcasting vampires have not been a figure in my 3E games apart from "Return to Castle Ravenloft" and I know that in pre-3E, undead spellcasters can't advance in level beyond what they achieved as living mortals. I know that liches are still bound by this restriction in 3.x, but I wasn't sure about vampires. I'm far more knowledgeable about the Realmslore than about the game mechanics.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2010 :  13:57:13  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It looks like this scroll was forgotten, after rolling into a dark corner.

I've read the descriptions of the Clone and Stasis Clone spells ... it seems to me that once the most "recently updated" Manshoons die, there's really no way for any of the remaining Manshoons to know how many others might exist. Or how many others might be active. Although there are some difficulties inherent in being insane these Manshoons are still remarkably tenacious and clever (and scheming) fellows; they'd probably tend to behave much the same way Manshoon behaved his entire life. That is, they'd attempt to remain hidden (and disguised, if necessary) while scouting the land, building a magical arsenal, accumulating as much power as possible, and always ensuring there's some kind of contingency escape plan. A craftier or luckier Manshoon (or three) could conceivably still be alive, perfectly sane (as far as Manshoons go), and completely unaware of his other clones - active or not.

Have there been any confirmed or suspected sitings of an elusive Manshoon in recent times?

[Edit]

Is there any particular reason all Manshoons are necessarily on Toril? Perhaps a few were stashed in various extraplanar locations (even inside a Leomunds Secure Chest?), or the lands of Greyhawk and Krynn, or inadvertently transferred to the other Abier-Toril place (whatever that's called) ...

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 16 Oct 2010 14:00:30
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2010 :  14:31:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jakk, I think what you were saying was only true of the Ravenloft setting, and then only true of Dark Lords (the ones who ruled Domains). In fact, it may have been a specific situation regarding Azalin

I don't recall anything saying a normal Lich couldn't gain levels - Szass Tam certainly became more powerful after his death.

As for it being a 3e rule, I was unaware of that. Kinda stupid rule, don't you think?

Considering every lich is a spelllcaster - why the hell live forever if you can't become more powerful? It makes no sense.

That would be like me becoming an undead carpenter, and then not being able to use tools. There wouldn't be a point.

I like the idea of Manshoon-clones stashed on other worlds. I think Ed once said that Manshoon visited Greyhawk (not positive on that one, I know Vangy did). However, would the ones outside of Realmspace have also activated? They were created with weave-magic, and the contingencies (that 'went wrong') may not have kicked-in.

And since I brought up Ravenloft earlier in this post, how about a Manshoon in the Domains of Dread?

Although I think in that place, he'd barely be 'average evil'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2010 :  14:55:11  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aw, he'd totally get twisted by the Dark Side, pick up a few nifty evil powers/curses along the way, and settle down in his own cozy little Manshoonland Domain - probably all within about a week or two at most. He might only be "average evil" but his greed, ambition, and lust for power provide easy handles the demiplane can manipulate him with, and he's already demonstrated that he's completely unconcerned with any suffering, death, and collateral damage he might cause. And that's assuming he's still sane, lol.

Though the spellplague is said to have burned the entire cosmos, so perhaps extra-planar/worldly clones would have perished. Or simply remain inactive.

I don't recall any "rule" preventing liches from gaining experience levels. I know it was somehow automatically assumed in many campaigns (1e onwards), but I don't know where the idea started. The 2e Van Richten book about liches introduces new (and somewhat risky) "power rituals" which increase a lich's levels/powers, which seems to imply they otherwise cannot gain these levels.

Szass Tam and Larloch absolutely gain levels after becoming liches.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2010 :  14:58:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Is there any particular reason all Manshoons are necessarily on Toril? Perhaps a few were stashed in various extraplanar locations (even inside a Leomunds Secure Chest?), or the lands of Greyhawk and Krynn, or inadvertently transferred to the other Abier-Toril place (whatever that's called) ...

I'd be inclined to say that all the clones were hidden on or near Toril, because being on another plane would likely rule out flipping the consciousness there when the active Manshoon was killed.

Cloak & Dagger explicitly says that some of the Manshoon clones have fled Realmspace for other worlds, so it's entirely likely that there's a Manshoon on Oerth and another on Krynn.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2010 :  16:22:23  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stasis Clones wouldn't activate across planar boundaries. A fair and logical ruling which I find agreeable.

Of course you could stretch the game mechanic and be nitpicky and ask ... how does the spell "know" when to activate a clone? Does it work by sensing the original dying, or by not sensing the original still lives? If the latter, then clones might be simultaneously be active in many planes, just unable to share them.

I'm more inclined to think (as you do) that any/all Manshoons still skulking about were originally "activated" in Faerūn. Though I'm still willing to suggest that some may have been lost to the "other" Realmsworld. And any number of inactive Manshoon clones could remain undiscovered all over the place, including an extraplanar stash or two ... some of these might be long forgotten (after the untimely death of whichever Manshoon created them) and barely sufficient level to cast the Stasis Clone spell, they might have a very outdated understanding of "recent" events.

When did Manshoon first research and use the Stasis Clone spell?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2010 :  16:26:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Arik

I'd be inclined to say that all the clones were hidden on or near Toril, because being on another plane would likely rule out flipping the consciousness there when the active Manshoon was killed.

Cloak & Dagger explicitly says that some of the Manshoon clones have fled Realmspace for other worlds, so it's entirely likely that there's a Manshoon on Oerth and another on Krynn.

And as Wooly knows, I've a fully detailed a Manshoon-clone active on Krynn.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2010 :  17:08:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didn't one end up on Coruscant?

Oh... wait... that was Anaken...

Now to be serious - we know the spell went awry, which means all bets are off. The normal conditions may have also been warped, which means it is theoretical possible that clones stashed 'elsewhere' also became active.

Now, I don't think that's what happened, but there is that 'out' in case anyone else wanted to use it in their games.

Wow, looking at the history of The Circle of Eight (Greyhawk), I can not only find room for Manshoon (he was the defective Rary clone), but I think I found Elminster! Bucknard disappeared in 579 CY, which is right around the time FR was released as an official setting.

And of course we all know that Mordenkainen is the real Khelben Arunsun.

And now I'm picturing a Ben-Kenobi/Tusken Raider hybrid type character for an Athasian Manshoon...

Let's start a 'Manshoon of the Month' club!

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000