Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 A question about Jarlaxle and politics
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jelennet
Learned Scribe

Russia
131 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2010 :  14:29:37  Show Profile Send Jelennet a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
SPOILERS FOR THE SELLSWORDS!

In the books Jarlaxle wanted to establish his own kingdom with Artemis. What do you think of Jarlaxle? If he had his own kingdom on surface could he become a really good king? A wise politican? A great military leader?
Or maybe he doesn't know enough about the surface life? Maybe he will be making terrible mistakes? Maybe he is too risky?
I am not sure...
What kind of king could he become?

Edited by - Jelennet on 13 May 2010 15:45:37

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  10:16:51  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe that scroll could be joined with the one about Artemis...

As for the question: I think he would be as good a king as he was a leader of Bregan D'aerthe.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  10:26:32  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The wizard is MAD, I tell you, MAD. Heheh, sorry, could not ignore the quote. Until he will not have a complete inspection in mental clinic, I do not think it is wise to give him the crown.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  05:02:43  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jarlaxle Nor Entreri don not have the patience to be a king.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  05:17:46  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jarlaxle would install a 'Puppet Ruler' and pull the strings when he gets bored...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  06:10:40  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree completely with Brimstone on this; ol' J isn't one to head up more than an organization, with other members controlling the assets. To him, a King would just be another member of his organization that controlled the asset of a Kingdom.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  07:27:24  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As RAS wrote in The Ghost King, Jarlaxle experiences "wanderlust" and has to step out even on his duties as leader of Bregan D'aerthe. There's no way he would have the patience and stability to be the king of an entire nation.

I think Jar is more of a special operations unit commander. Give him a specific project to sink his teeth into, and he will do so with relish. But if you give him too much to gnaw on, he'll probably beg off. Routine bores him.

Notice that in Promise of the Witch-King, he nominates Entreri to serve as king, and he keeps appointing Kimmuriel to lead Bregan D'aerthe during his prolonged absences. (I have theorized that Jar might also have emplaced Zaknafein Do'Urden as the original leader of Bregan D'aerthe once upon a time, and deposing Zak could've been the big betrayal that we have heard hints of.) Methinks Jar wants all the power and authority, without the responsibility and obligations, and without being the big target that the official figureheads always are.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  10:03:12  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
<snip> (I have theorized that Jar might also have emplaced Zaknafein Do'Urden as the original leader of Bregan D'aerthe once upon a time, and deposing Zak could've been the big betrayal that we have heard hints of.) Methinks Jar wants all the power and authority, without the responsibility and obligations, and without being the big target that the official figureheads always are.

I think the part about what Jarlaxle wants is true.
But... Zak in Bregan D'aerthe? Possible, but not as a leader. Malice brought him of of the ranks of common soldiers to be her lover, so she would probably watch his every move. I don't think Jarlaxle would want to attract her attention to his clandestine group...

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  16:59:41  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

But... Zak in Bregan D'aerthe? Possible, but not as a leader. Malice brought him of of the ranks of common soldiers to be her lover, so she would probably watch his every move. I don't think Jarlaxle would want to attract her attention to his clandestine group...

But Malice dumped Zak repeatedly over the years, in anger. Given what happened between him and Drizzt, clearly she didn't watch him all that closely.

And Homeland said that Zak was the head of the Do'Urden spy network, so I imagine that this would afford him a lot of contacts that Malice didn't necessarily know about or approve of.

Early on, methinks Jar would've prefered not to attract attention to himself. And so, in keeping with the pattern I mentioned, I think he would've been most comfortable installing a puppet in the official leadership position of the war band, just in case things didn't work out.

Zak seems like exactly the kind of drow who would've been drawn to the idea of a rebellious fifth column that undermined the authority of the matron mothers, while simultaneously profiting off of their greed and intrigue. Could he have been inspired enough to become the leader? I don't know.

But if it did happen, and Jar did depose him, then that would've been the ultimate betrayal. The matron mothers made Zak feel like crap, and even his own brothers in arms turned on him? That might've been exactly what made Zak feel so trapped in Menzo, and hopeless about finding a better way to live.

Like I said, just a theory...

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Dinnin
Seeker

Australia
53 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2010 :  02:56:16  Show Profile Send Dinnin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you make good points Beast, Jar would much rather the road over sitting down as King, he would have someone he could contact and tell them what to do just like he does with Bregan D'aerthe. i think he would go better in a Guild over a kingdom, there is plotting and backstabbing that way

"Use yer heads! A barnyard goose tastes better 'an a wild one cause it don't use its muscles. The same oughta hold true for a giant's brains!"
Bruenor Battlehammer
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2010 :  17:10:36  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh, BEAST, I LOVE that idea! It would make SO much sense that way. And I have my own personal theory about those two, but it's not for the kiddies. I think his betrayal might have been of a more "personal" nature..... (cough) But yeah, I really DON'T see Jar being much of a king. Wanderlust strikes hard and often. He'd have more fun pulling the stringsfrom afar, like you said.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000