Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Need help on details (Damara Campaign)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2010 :  13:31:29  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
about to start a new campaign in Damara and due to it being covered by a massive NDA i decided to play around abit but have run into a halt ...

My idea is going on that doing or shortly after Witch Kings occupation of Damara, Northen Damara (which 'offically' is under petty bandit kings) have been corrupted into some kind of chaotic world (think Warhammer meets Ravenloft, with Ravenloft Fear/Horror rules), but have run into a issue 'bout how i should show the characters that there is something vastly wrong (and maybe hinting what it is), without metaphoricly placing big signs saying "your now entering Chaos" ... anyone got an idea how to spell it without being to blunt, or other ideas?

Allready know 2 things they're going to meet while there ... an orphanage which have long since been taken over by an wizard which have grown insane and in an attempt to protect the children he turned them into Half-Golems
and:
A relatively peaceful small rural village which is running the Higurashi Gambit with Groundhog-Day loops and bizzarde killings

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month

Edited by - Sian on 24 Apr 2010 13:31:53

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2010 :  14:03:18  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmm... you could have strange lights in the sky and subtle mutations in animals and plants as they near the Chaos Wastes inspired bits. Perhaps villagers start exhibiting odd behaviour, disappear into the wilderness without warning, drop particular nonsense words into sentences without realising it, and carve strange signs and idols for no immediately apparent reason, that sort of thing.

Heroes of Horror might be worth a look if you can get your hands on it; plenty of good stuff even if you're just looking at the fluff.

I've often wondered about turning the Frozenfar/Pelvuria/whatever it's called into some kind of Chaos Waste type place, so I'd love to hear a bit more about what you're planning!

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2010 :  15:19:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd also include little pockets of Chaos-tainted areas, places where the normal laws of nature just don't apply. Maybe a patch of grass and flowers where all the plants are made of glass, or where the flowers sing in the breeze. Maybe areas where the characters are, without saves, affected by haste or slow spells. A waterfall -- even a small one -- flowing upward. Normally docile animals being very aggressive, or having mutations like spikes or scales.

If you can find it, read A Hero Born, by Michael Stackpole. It's set on a world where Chaos was deliberately unleased across the world, and there was only one nation that was able to push back the Chaos and live in a stable area. The main character of that book is the son of a famous Chaos Rider, the guys that deliberately undertake missions beyond the Wardwalls that hold back Chaos. Such was the nature of Chaos that it could affect even normal humans when they ventured into it. One character had spikes, and another had a wolf's head -- he'd worn a wolf pelt into Chaos, with the wolf's head acting as a helm, and it wound up fusing to him and becoming part of his own head. And there was another thing I thought was nifty, the Emerald Horse -- a horse that appeared covered with emeralds. It would sometimes approach riders and neigh, and one or more of the riders would suddenly find themselves unhorsed as their mounts ran off to join the Emerald Horse's herd.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2010 :  21:29:07  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
an idea i got today to telegaph the idea that something is seriously wrong is to let the party spot a flock of forest pigeons (or some other bird, which aren't famous for its predator instinct such as an eagle or hawk) chasing down a Black bear cub, trying to eat its brains while its still alive :p

Another idea for how to make it eerie would be liberal use of the Pseudoneutral Template from complete Arcane

... also thinking of transplanting a Nar Clan or two, lured by the corruption and temptations, and succumbed to it becomming a Nomadic camp of Raging Berserkers (with Half-Fiend Horses :p), pretty much letting them play the role of Marauders in Warhammer

Digging deeper ... for an deitic chessmaster behind it ... Reborn Moander?

Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2010 :  21:50:32  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want to go full volume with the creepy, the less the PCs know the better. Moander is dead scary, but once the PCs know that it's Moander and friends turning the place into chaos wastes, it kinda looses it's edge.

I recommend reading a bit of H.P. Lovecraft for inspiration (or just read his stuff anyway, it's brilliant if you set aside the antiquated racism).

Also, I want to see your PCs faces when they realise they're facing down a full-bore Chaos Horde complete with warriors of chaos, marauders and beastmen...

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2010 :  10:10:30  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
not going to namedrop Moander before late in the game but it's nice to have it cleared out allready who's behind the whole deal

Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  05:44:34  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could use Erebus, the god of the darkness before.

He's from a Dragon Magazine, and I use him in my realms as a force trying to bring back the original darkness and solitude that was in Realmspace beforehand. I'll see if I can dig up the issue if you're interested, although it would probably be a few days before I have time to do so, as I've got some tests coming up at work.

/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000