Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 NWN 1 or NWN 2
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

loken
Acolyte

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2010 :  20:24:12  Show Profile  Visit loken's Homepage Send loken a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
what one do you think is better? and why

Mod Edit: Shifted to a more appropriate shelf.

Loken Lord of shadow

Edited by - The Sage on 16 Apr 2010 00:56:03

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

508 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2010 :  21:21:18  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No doubt in my head, NWN1. With the state of things out there I think it will be my favorite RPG of all time, well maybe 2nd to BG1. While BG1 was all about this finally crafted tuned story that took you to various places in one game. NWN1 had an alright core game but the fun was beyond that. The various places you could go were really endless out and beyond in modules that the very strong community made. And a large part of it was that it was easy to develop in and could support up to 50 people out of the box it seems to have been built with things like these in mind.

NWN2 felt sadly slapped together. The story was no better than NWN1 but felt unfinished and unpolished. The module creation felt they had fixed a few of the problems that NWN1 had but made it much slower to do any sort of real development in it. It felt that they sort of turned their back to the large community of people online that made NWN1 such a big success.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2010 :  11:53:42  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't been able to play NWN 2 to make a fair judgement (my brother had a computer that could support the game and sadly, I do not). Hopefully I will be able to chime in with my opinion at some point in time

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2010 :  15:41:25  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally I like NWN1 better than NWN2. Subjectively it feels like I have more freedom of choice what to do when. The overall feel was better.

However none of the NWN's really worked for me. I am a BG2 addicted who loves screen perspectives with bitmaps as the Infinity engine provides it. The 3D worlds always lack atmosphere and details in comparison to the isometric perspective, it feels less organic. At least for me.

Plus the fights in NWN's bored me to death. In the BG series it was really o job of milimeters sometimes to position each character perfectly in a fight that made the difference. Tactically that was a completely different level.

This said, I even prefer the IWD series over NWN.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2010 :  08:32:51  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are right. The BG2 is greater in many things, especially strategic combat, they even have an imitation of turn system by pauses. Just playing the bard was making your brain to work on 120% how to use the minor spells to defeat the dragon. But I like the NWN2 much better than first. In first there is not much fun to do except for HotU campaign. Aside from that, NWN2 is better for me.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2010 :  10:13:12  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neverwinter Nights 1 has a more complete Dungeon Generator but a much poorer singleplayer game and characters (it's also very graphically dated these days and not as pretty as the isometric games it replaced). NWN2 has a prettier Dungeon Generator, a better single player game and characters, even if they were a little formulaic.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2010 :  12:59:26  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlackAce

Neverwinter Nights 1 has a more complete Dungeon Generator but a much poorer singleplayer game and characters (it's also very graphically dated these days and not as pretty as the isometric games it replaced). NWN2 has a prettier Dungeon Generator, a better single player game and characters, even if they were a little formulaic.

I disagree on both points. Singleplayer in NWN1 had great characters, most importantly Aribeth. The toolset of NWN2 is too complicated and buggy to be really used.
But the NWN2 game and characters were just boring. With the exception of Bishop and MoTB expansion pack.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2010 :  15:22:29  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're kidding me right? Aribeth was two dimensional eyecandy who only looked good on the box art. The plot involving the creator races was slow and had more holes than a collander and the dialgue for most of the rest of the characters was stilled and wooden. Only Aarin Gend wasn't chewing the scenery
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

508 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2010 :  19:06:08  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

The toolset of NWN2 is too complicated and buggy to be really used.

This is really my major sticking point with NWN2. Both NWN1 and 2 had their story issues. NWN1 series got better towards the end but always seemed overall more polished. NWN2 never got that.

The real issue was in NWN1 the best content was made by the community and with out a good tool it basically gave NWN2 no chance.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2010 :  23:29:57  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlackAce

You're kidding me right? Aribeth was two dimensional eyecandy who only looked good on the box art. The plot involving the creator races was slow and had more holes than a collander and the dialgue for most of the rest of the characters was stilled and wooden. Only Aarin Gend wasn't chewing the scenery

Aribeth's shift to evil (I managed not to say "dark side") wasn't very plausible for me. The NWN 1 NPC were ok at best. While in NWN2, Bishop, Sand and Grobnar were very interesting characters, IMHO. I had alot of fun with the first game, but I think the 2nd one (expansion included) was better.
Go to Top of Page

The Curt Jester
Acolyte

24 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2010 :  05:30:26  Show Profile  Visit The Curt Jester's Homepage Send The Curt Jester a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't say which is better because I never played NWN1 and NWN2 wasn't that great of a game if one sticks to the OC. I did enjoy the characters and the interaction with them, but the whole campaign had the feeling of one being shoved through a very narrow tunnel with no other place to go.

As for the custom content and the toolset being unworkable, I'd think many, many people would disagree. As someone who has spent a lot of time working in the toolset, I have found that it is far from unusable, buggy as it may be. As stated about NWN1, the best stuff in NWN2 is that which comes from the community. There are a plethora of modules, PWs, models, custom gear, creatures that have been made or converted from NWN1. Plus, some modders have found out how to add such stuff as new animations (swimming, climbing, etc.) and rideable horses -- something which I hear keeps people on NWN1.

Perhaps it's been a year or more since some people have bothered to work with the toolset or check what there is available for NWN2 now, but I highly suggest checking again because it's really moving forward now.

So would I recommend NWN2 for the game itself? Not really, though it's not a BAD game. I certainly WOULD recommend it for all the new options it now has thanks to the community.

Co-founder of Sea of Dragons, a Persistent World for NWN2 | Visit us at www.seaofdragons.com

Edited by - The Curt Jester on 23 Apr 2010 05:35:08
Go to Top of Page

Tren of Twilight Tower
Seeker

51 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2010 :  20:02:35  Show Profile  Visit Tren of Twilight Tower's Homepage Send Tren of Twilight Tower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like both games, however, NWN is my favourite game to date. Even though I like good graphic it is always going to be secondary to gameplay. I found no other game to offer me so many choices and so many community-made modules that are either better or on par with official campaign. True, it took me some time to fall in love with the game, as it was my entry into FR and D&D. Back in time it was too much information to swallow at once for somebody who played mostly driving simulations, Winning Eleven & FPS games...

Tren
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2010 :  06:44:58  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I was not much of a lover of Realms first time. Only reading some books piqued my interest in BG2.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Pazuzu
Seeker

Germany
61 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2010 :  12:32:09  Show Profile Send Pazuzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My 2 cents: Both games are good and you should play them :-D I never played NWN2 to the end, but I like the characters and especially the quests more! In NWN1 all quests were more or less the same with little differences. NWN2 though have a broader selection of different quest types... it's still a computer game.
But both have huge lacks in their story... especially NWN1 HotU

May your dice obey your will. - Gary Gygax (*1938 - †2008)
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  07:59:03  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way about NWN. Did someone played the OFFICIAL campaigns completely? By that I mean they tried every hook for every alignment and class. I still have some mysteries about the rooms I can't get into or items I never used. FAQ's dont have anything, cause these amauters played it without D&D spirit in them (AMATEURS!@%#^*&%!), resulting in playing in Diablo style: stupid hack'n'slash action.

Edited by - Sill Alias on 07 May 2010 08:41:24
Go to Top of Page

Tren of Twilight Tower
Seeker

51 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  01:53:03  Show Profile  Visit Tren of Twilight Tower's Homepage Send Tren of Twilight Tower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sill Alias

By the way about NWN. Did someone played the the campaigns completely? By that I mean they tried every hook for every alignment and class.

One of the reasons why NWN is good game lies in fact that game has so many classes and options. While it is possible, I seriously doubt that someone would play the game with all classes and through all alignments.

Also, there is so many custom-made modules and persistent worlds that not many players invest much time into repeating official campaign over and over again.

Just my 70 cents.
Tren
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  09:02:41  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved NWN1, not so much for its Singleplayer campaign but for its Online Mode. IMO the single player campaign was just a demo so others saw what you can do with the editor. If you had found the right persistant world online playing was so much fun.

Thats why I was so dissapointed with NWN2, the online mode sucked like hell there. On the other hand the single player campaign was a bit better then in the first part but that wasn't the part I was looking forward too :(
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  12:54:01  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

I loved NWN1, not so much for its Singleplayer campaign but for its Online Mode. IMO the single player campaign was just a demo so others saw what you can do with the editor. If you had found the right persistant world online playing was so much fun.

Thats why I was so dissapointed with NWN2, the online mode sucked like hell there. On the other hand the single player campaign was a bit better then in the first part but that wasn't the part I was looking forward too :(

NWN 1 the campaign got tedious at some points early on (maybe its cause I had to repeat some of it due to losing a save file once)....is NWN 2 like that at points??

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

The Curt Jester
Acolyte

24 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2010 :  01:47:48  Show Profile  Visit The Curt Jester's Homepage Send The Curt Jester a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

NWN 1 the campaign got tedious at some points early on (maybe its cause I had to repeat some of it due to losing a save file once)....is NWN 2 like that at points??

NWN2 was boring to me because it was so linear. I felt like I was in a tunnel with no room to move anywhere but forward. There is virtually no freedom in what to do (in my opinion). The characters and voice-acting were the best part about it. Again, my opinion. So does it get tedious? Very much so, though not because of difficulty.

I only bought the game for all the new content and multiplayer.

Co-founder of Sea of Dragons, a Persistent World for NWN2 | Visit us at www.seaofdragons.com
Go to Top of Page

cephet
Acolyte

Germany
12 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2010 :  14:17:55  Show Profile Send cephet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Curt Jester
NWN2 was boring to me because it was so linear. I felt like I was in a tunnel with no room to move anywhere but forward.

Very true, that is exactly how I felt when I first played NWN2. I hated it, and it took me a while to see the good in the game. Since then though I've replayed it many times and have enjoyed it more each time. MoTB is the best thing about NWN2 IMO, although the main quest picks up if I can tolerate the absolute slog before getting to Aldanon the sage. Storm of Zehir really, really sucked. Its story didn't interest me at all, and the lack of interesting companions killed it.

Back on topic though, I'd say NWN:HoTU is better than NWN2, but NWN2 is better than standard NWN in terms of storyline. Overall, NWN is a better game. NWN's campaign is fun, but kind of dull and repetitive. It pretty much composed of charging around vast areas killing stuff while hoping to find a quest item. HoTU, however, is among the best gaming experiences I've ever had.

On the polished side, as many people have said, NWN wins hands down. In NWN2 there were plenty of spells that seemed to do nothing, or didn't work properly. Shadow Simulacrum and Glass Doppleganger never worked. Evard's Black Tenticles made a noise so deafening I refused to use the spell ever - even if it cost me the battle. Also, the summons were so weak. In NWN summons were actually good in a fight, casting their own spells and dealing good enough damage. In NWN2 summons were a waste of a spell slot; they dealt no damage and got 1-hit by the weakest of enemies.
Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  02:59:59  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

No doubt in my head, NWN1. With the state of things out there I think it will be my favorite RPG of all time, well maybe 2nd to BG1. While BG1 was all about this finally crafted tuned story that took you to various places in one game. NWN1 had an alright core game but the fun was beyond that. The various places you could go were really endless out and beyond in modules that the very strong community made. And a large part of it was that it was easy to develop in and could support up to 50 people out of the box it seems to have been built with things like these in mind.

NWN2 felt sadly slapped together. The story was no better than NWN1 but felt unfinished and unpolished. The module creation felt they had fixed a few of the problems that NWN1 had but made it much slower to do any sort of real development in it. It felt that they sort of turned their back to the large community of people online that made NWN1 such a big success.

I concur with the above.

NWN 1 was a great game but NWN 2 felt like it was unfinished. Plus the control of the camera/viewing perspective in NWN 2 was absolutely ghastly and in the end, despite getting through 3/4 of the game, made me give up in disgust as I just got so annoyed it its overly sensetive and chaotic nature.

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on.
Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun.
EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Go to Top of Page

Flak
Acolyte

Denmark
3 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  09:10:09  Show Profile  Visit Flak's Homepage Send Flak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NWN1 wasnt the sequel to BG2 that it could have been but still a good game, the story is a bit one tracked but not unbearably, you can have only 1 companion and i felt it was a bit odd.

NWN2 is as said a tunnel and your also forced to stop at pre-arranged stops along the way and forced to use companions that dont fit your group setup. NPCs cant die so if they get cursed or anything just kill them and wait...

is guess what you can say is in BG1+2 you make the story as you go along in an open world, in NWN1 and especially in NWN2 you watch the story and is confined by it

"Evil Turns upon it self"
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2010 :  07:38:55  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed them both, but would have to say that the BG series was better.
Go to Top of Page

sneakypetev
Acolyte

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2010 :  10:29:50  Show Profile  Visit sneakypetev's Homepage Send sneakypetev a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like others have stated,I thought the BG series is the best.I didn't get into NWN 1 so much because it wasn't like BG, but by the time NWN2 came out I was ready for a new game and NWN2 delivered for me.Yeah,I know it was linear and a bit buggy but I liked the NPCs and really liked the MoTB expansion.I was not a fan of SOZ, but the MoW adventure pack was very good, and some of the Mods available for NWN2 are well done. I just finished one called Serene that takes you from 4th to 18th lvl!It was almost like playing a NWN3,though was not set in the FR.

"Go for the eyes boo,go for the eyes!"- Minsc
Go to Top of Page

pdesbois
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2010 :  04:07:06  Show Profile  Visit pdesbois's Homepage Send pdesbois a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My machine does not handle NWN 2, I have serious $ issues, so I have acutally NEVER tried it.
But NWN 1 was amazing. How many hours I spent playing thru the OC (which to me was nothing bad, I enjoyed it), those mods... Aielund Saga, the Paladin 'trilogy' (as it was never finished, unfortunately).

What I liked most in NWN1 was that, no matter which character I played, I never found severe balance issues. Granted, Monks had a lot of juice on the behalf, and Wizards were just sweet - once you got to level 17 near the 3rd chapter, you got the OMG Timestop, which REGRETTABLY was out in NWN2!
I played as: Elven Monks, Human Illusionists, Elven Rogue/Assassins, Elven Arcane Archers (Wizard 6/ Fighter 4), Human Bastard-Swordmaster... I loved them all, with my heart!

"Ze VÖRLD ist changing..."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000