Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Knowledge Check: Rakshasa
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2010 :  09:17:10  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was about to introduce a Rakshasa as a new thread and villian in my own campaign. While reading the Rakshasa entry in the MM 3.0 I stubled about their vulnarability to blessed crossbow bolts.
And this leads to my question I'd like to ask you here:

What would be a reasonable Knwoledge check and which the proper DC for a character to make in oder for him to know this 'vital' information about his foe?

Would it be written down somwhere?

Who in Cormyr might have such an ubscure information?

Thanks in advance,

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2010 :  13:18:04  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Asheyron the Learned, who owns the Elfskull Inn in Arabel is one of the foremost authorities on various types of monsters living in Cormyr. Although he specialized in gorgon lore, you could easily have had him spend several years living in Rashemen where he picked up Rakshasa lore. More information about him can be found in Volo's Guide to Cormyr, pgs.63-64,217

My Current Campaign: The Adventures of the Stonelanders
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2010 :  17:49:32  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DC 25-30 depending on the obscurity of the foe (Rakshasa I would put at 30, stranger beasts higher than than).

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Artemel
Learned Scribe

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2010 :  17:56:27  Show Profile  Visit Artemel's Homepage Send Artemel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The DC of the knowledge check (in this case Knowledge the planes) would be DC 10 + HD of creature, or 17. 17 would let you know what you face is a rakshasa, and for every 5 points higher, you could let them in on another important details, such as DR, SR, or its ability to change shape.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2010 :  18:26:55  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemel

The DC of the knowledge check (in this case Knowledge the planes) would be DC 10 + HD of creature, or 17. 17 would let you know what you face is a rakshasa, and for every 5 points higher, you could let them in on another important details, such as DR, SR, or its ability to change shape.

Better said!

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2010 :  22:49:53  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemel

I like that! A lot! It sounds reasonable and fair and it is a nice way to come up with a knowledge table for nearly any type of monster - even on the fly!

So looking at the standard Rakshasa from the 3.0 MM1 I'd suggest the following table:

Knowledge the Planes (as appropriate for an outsider)
DC 17 - Rakshasa, spellcasting outsider
DC 22 - SR & DR
DC 27 - Ability: Alternate Form
DC 32 - Ability: Detect thoughts
DC 37 - Special weakness: Crossbow Bolt

Edited by - Ergdusch on 12 Apr 2010 22:51:17
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2010 :  23:26:28  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think that knowledge (the planes) is appropriate, since Rakshasas are native outsiders. I would choose Knowledge (Arcana).

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

bladeinAmn
Learned Scribe

199 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2010 :  06:36:38  Show Profile  Visit bladeinAmn's Homepage Send bladeinAmn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

I was about to introduce a Rakshasa as a new thread and villian in my own campaign. While reading the Rakshasa entry in the MM 3.0 I stubled about their vulnarability to blessed crossbow bolts.
And this leads to my question I'd like to ask you here:

What would be a reasonable Knwoledge check and which the proper DC for a character to make in oder for him to know this 'vital' information about his foe?

Would it be written down somwhere?

Who in Cormyr might have such an ubscure information?

Thanks in advance,

Ergdusch

RW, Rakshasas were talked about in Hindu texts and historic art, and then well implemented into AD&D.

For your campaign, you can have various major or minor dieties depict encounters w/rakshasas in thier religious books, in order to qualify or modify the Knowledge DC check you're looking for. Hopefully that answers your 1st 2 questions.

Edited by - bladeinAmn on 13 Apr 2010 06:37:21
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2010 :  08:58:19  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IIRC one of the Pathfinder Books had a write up on them that was really neat.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2010 :  15:30:15  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Complete Guide to Rakshasas might be useful.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2010 :  15:44:46  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyranthraxus

Nice! Didn't know there was such a book.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2010 :  16:21:51  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good ol Goodman Games.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2010 :  08:57:46  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bladeinAmn
For your campaign, you can have various major or minor dieties depict encounters w/rakshasas in thier religious books, in order to qualify or modify the Knowledge DC check you're looking for. Hopefully that answers your 1st 2 questions.

Nice idea - I will ponder on that a bit.

quote:
Originally posted by Tyranthraxus

It might cover what I was looking for but buying it just for one villian would not be worth it, IMO. But thanks for your hint anyway.

Ergdusch

Edited by - Ergdusch on 14 Apr 2010 08:58:30
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2010 :  09:07:17  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BTW, I have decided to allow several knowledge checks for the information:
Knowledge the Planes - for being an outsider
Knowledge Arcana - for being a 'heavy magics using moster'
Knowledge Religion - for the hiostorical religious tie-in

This way it's more fun for the players and the more dice they roll the better the chance that they might get any information.

Any further thoughts and/or criticism on my knowledge table above?

Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2010 :  14:09:55  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

BTW, I have decided to allow several knowledge checks for the information:
Knowledge the Planes - for being an outsider
Knowledge Arcana - for being a 'heavy magics using moster'
Knowledge Religion - for the hiostorical religious tie-in

This way it's more fun for the players and the more dice they roll the better the chance that they might get any information.

Any further thoughts and/or criticism on my knowledge table above?

I looked through the Complete Guide for knowledge skills but couldn't find any but I did find a Spot check DC 30 identifies a shape changed rakshasa, or DC 20 when someone specifically watches one. This is because rakshasas are accustomed to holding and using items differently because of their backward palms.

If I find some more useful info I'll let you know.
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2010 :  21:31:18  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In situation where a certain piece of lore is covered by multiple Knowledge skills, I usually split the lore between them. For example a sufficient Knowledge(Arcana) check might give information about the spell-casting or shape changing abilities while a Knowledge(The Planes) check might reveal some of the creature's outsider defenses (SR, DR, etc).

My Current Campaign: The Adventures of the Stonelanders
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000