Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Grubb Street
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2010 :  10:56:07  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Jeff Grubb just added a great post at his blogg about his early work on the Realms and the early days of the setting. Much of it has been mentioned in one form or another earlier, but worth a look for anyone interested.

I do think though, that Fonzie would have been a better adition to the Realms than Drizzt

PS. My computer skills are those of a rodent (other than hamster), could someone post a link maybe?

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2010 :  13:04:22  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good stuff.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2010 :  16:00:10  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes very good. Thanks for sharing this. I learned some things I didn't know before (such as the real history behind Tyche lol)

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2010 :  18:46:36  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Loved that one! Give us more! Interesting how Waukeen was born.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2010 :  09:09:04  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Yes very good. Thanks for sharing this. I learned some things I didn't know before (such as the real history behind Tyche lol)

An indication of the late date of the change is the mentioning of the temple of Tyche in Shadowdale, on a map found in the Grey Box. If my memories isn't playing a really cruel trick on me that is.
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2010 :  12:07:06  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An entertaining and informative read indeed!
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2010 :  15:16:32  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One little correction to what Mr Grubb posted: I've seen photocopies of Ed's original turnover "master map" of the Realms, at a GenCon seminar. They were in the keeping of, and were shown by, a female TSR editor (Karen Boomgaarden, I think, though someone else who was there says my memory is faulty, and it was Julia Martin).
There were fifty-six 8.5" x 11" sheets.
The probable reason Mr. Grubb remembers "24" is that 24 of those 56 sheets cover the same area that the up-close colour maps included in the Old Grey Box cover (the rest of the geography got covered in later products, or - - like Lantan - - never, properly).
Great post, though!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2010 :  16:38:37  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2) And Glorantha.

13) Unlike James M., I don't mind the term 'festhall' because they aren't all the one-purpose knocking shops 'brothel' can convey.

15) Thank you for Waukeen, Jeff.

16) 'Tyche' also appears in the original Spellfire.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2010 :  10:32:18  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Now how did I miss that I wonder, unless it was just in the first printing of the book? You don't remember approximately where it was do you?
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2010 :  12:44:56  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
26) hahaha! I demand Zeppelins!

Good stuff. I knew the Realms had been around for a while in some fashion or other, but I didn't know it pre-dated DnD.

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2010 :  15:19:57  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens
Now how did I miss that I wonder, unless it was just in the first printing of the book? You don't remember approximately where it was do you?

Suddenly I'm not sure about it -- may possibly be mixing up with a line in The Temptation of Elminster.
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2010 :  13:22:55  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great litle gems there.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2010 :  15:53:46  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

One little correction to what Mr Grubb posted: I've seen photocopies of Ed's original turnover "master map" of the Realms, at a GenCon seminar. They were in the keeping of, and were shown by, a female TSR editor (Karen Boomgaarden, I think, though someone else who was there says my memory is faulty, and it was Julia Martin).

Karen did truly have it originally (as the editor of the Grey Box & eventual product group leader); when she left TSR, she bequeathed it to Julia Martin, who I believe may have it still. I know I jealously guarded and kept all of Ed's original maps (or copies thereof) because not everything would make it onto final production maps. I actually used a few of those maps when writing BLACKSTAFF TOWER to detail the subterranean areas in which my heroes ventured.

steven
who is still amazed to this day as to how much Ed does in the Realms that doesn't quite make it into publication...

PS: Jeff Grubb's blog is worth bookmarking and reading regularly, trust me.

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2010 :  22:05:53  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
PS: Jeff Grubb's blog is worth bookmarking and reading regularly, trust me.

Done and done :)
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2010 :  12:59:12  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend I actually used a few of those maps when writing BLACKSTAFF TOWER to detail the subterranean areas in which my heroes ventured.

Now that's what I call dedication

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  20:13:35  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes it was a nice read, I enjoyed it.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2010 :  09:33:56  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

I actually found another one today. Page 107 of the Hall of Heroes book. And that came out in'89.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000