Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Candlekeep Compendium discussion...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2010 :  16:01:52  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Do you guys want me to use one of my own domains to host a Candlekeep Compedium 2010 project? This would shield Candlekeep.com should any issues arise- though I don't feel any would- and would keep the project going. I am willing to invest the time and effort if there is interest in the community. Its a shame that one has not come out in such a long while.

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2010 :  16:08:38  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I just replied over here about how I was just looking at DLNexus and noticed they are publishing both 4th Edition and Pathfinder articles on the site and how the 'keep might want to test the waters for a new Compendium.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2010 :  16:10:30  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great! I do really miss new issues of the compendium!!

If needed, I would gladly contribute to it too.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2010 :  16:14:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with you Matt, and I certainly appreciate the opportunity you've presented for us here.

But before we give a full and warranted "go-ahead," and even before I decide whether I'd want to contribute, I want to know how any material I might write for your Compendium project, would be handled?

On top of all that, however, is my wish to discuss this with Alaundo first. Since the Candlekeep Compendium is, essentially, a mainstay of this site, I'd rather have his approval and support for the project before I, or any scribe from Candlekeep, even considered working with you on this.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 25 Mar 2010 16:17:14
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2010 :  16:16:45  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course, Sage! :) This is by no means a way of pulling the project away. The project would be ran like any publication with all credit for those who contribute. I might even contract out a buddy of mine that does layout work for Goodman Games products to do the final.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2010 :  19:54:37  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for bringing this up, Matt.

I - and for sure many other scribes - would love to see a new Candlekeep Compendium being published, hosted here at the Keep or elsewhere for that matter.

I am interested in how this continues.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2010 :  20:19:07  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would be interested as well.

For some time I have had a project completed, after a few fits and stalls on my part I'm afraid; but it has yet to be posted on Candlekeep for as yet unknown reasons...though I suspect it is the same sort of problems that the Compendium may be stalled for.

I love the Compendium series...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2010 :  22:14:15  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would be great, I'd send you my first alternate take on the WotSQ... it might need some editing, but otherwise it should be fine

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2010 :  22:39:01  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What sort of material can be submitted to the Compendium? I don't know if 4e FR material would be cool or not or if there is even a want for these things. I do have lots of stuff converted though! :D
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2010 :  22:40:21  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The compendium would be for the modern day of the Realms in 1480 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2010 :  22:46:58  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

So then my homebrew Paragon Paths, magic items, powers and spells would be fine for submitting?
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2010 :  22:48:34  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
absolutely!

Edit: Contingent on what Alaundo and the staff here want to do. I won't even start a project like this without their blessing. I'm not here to crap on the community I have followed for years.

Edited by - Matt James on 25 Mar 2010 22:49:39
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2010 :  23:08:38  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So an article on the state of Cormyr just post War of the Devil Dragon, set in 1372 DR, would not be welcome in your Candlekeep Compendium?
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2010 :  23:10:08  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

quote:

So an article on the state of Cormyr just post War of the Devil Dragon, set in 1372 DR, would not be welcome in your Candlekeep Compendium?

Or an article on alternate stories to the Spellplague?

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2010 :  23:20:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If this is the case, then I am afraid I have nothing to contribute.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2010 :  23:46:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's understandable. As it'll help to settle any potential legal issues that might arise over content for this project.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2010 :  23:56:37  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Even if I agreed with the project, this would kill it for me. I'll have nothing to do with 4e Realms and I never will.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2010 :  04:54:00  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it would be great to start up the Compendium again. Even though the time-frame is different, there is still a lot of fan-based material that can be shared. You can count my vote in for whatever it's worth.
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2010 :  08:58:43  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it would have my support, 1480 or not. Kudos, Matt.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2010 :  09:24:45  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Same here, sorry to hear that

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2010 :  09:58:30  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

quote:

Oh yes, please! If anyone could sum those events up - that be marvelous...

Cormyr all the way!

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2010 :  11:38:54  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about my article that I wrote that was pending for a Compendium. It's not set in 1480, heck its not even set in the 1300s lol
If you can go ahead and put my Anauria article in it I would gladly write up more info about it for future articles (and I got the go ahead from Ed to write it too, I checked with THO to see if Ed had any notes about it).

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2010 :  11:44:30  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I should clarify, to quell any rebellions. My desire is to have the latest compendium be edition-neutral and be just as welcoming of all eras. Meaning, I want it to read much like a history book (so-to-speak). I see it as a great opportunity to bring into the fold stories of old and new, and maybe even bridge the gap. What I don't want is for it to turn into a "WotC would have been better off doing things this way". I want to heal the wounds and bridge the gap, not rewrite something someone else did.

Edit: I fully understand people won't like my standards for this project, but its the way I would like to see it done. You can write plenty of fan-fiction without touching the Spellplague (should you choose) and for those who want to have things explained- this could be your chance.

Edited by - Matt James on 26 Mar 2010 11:46:47
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2010 :  11:56:03  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by capnvan

quote:

Would this not seem to conflict with the edition-neutral policy of Candlekeep?

The current year is 1480. Edition has nothing to do with it. Also, I see nothing wrong with a historical treatise on Cormyr just post War of the Devil Dragon. Alternative stories to the Spellplague (what if stories) doesn’t belong in it.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2010 :  12:04:30  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To clarify, it would not be a historical treatise. It would be a 'Current State of the Realm' type thing, in the shape of a private report for the Steel Regent.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2010 :  12:40:19  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel the Compendium has never been about being 'set' in any one time or place. I appreciate the want to bridge the gap between the edition wars. But, by saying the compendium would be set in present Realms, it's as inflammatory as if I offered to host the Compendium and said it was set before the Spellplague.

Don't get me wrong, Matt. I appreciate what you're trying to do.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2010 :  12:47:28  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's fine Ashe, and I can certainly appreciate that some won't want to participate- but those are the parameters I am giving. I don't see it as inflammatory if I am providing structure to the project by providing purpose, direction, and motivation.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2010 :  12:53:38  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I say do both.

Make it like Realms of the Dead, with lore from before the Spellplague and after.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2010 :  12:54:25  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with Ashe. Since each edition has its own "present," choosing a date range effectively chooses an edition. I feel that any publication called the "Candlekeep Compendium" should be edition neutral -- dates of articles and all. Just like past volumes included lore and stats for multiple editions. Not to say that a 4e Realms "fanzine" isn't a fine idea. I just don't think it should be the continuation of the Candlekeep Compendium.

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2010 :  14:21:40  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's fine Ashe, and I can certainly appreciate that some won't want to participate- but those are the parameters I am giving. I don't see it as inflammatory if I am providing structure to the project by providing purpose, direction, and motivation.

Matt, I understand what you are trying to achieve, but instead of bridging gaps by (maybe) introducing us old farts to the new stuff, and/or us old farts introducing new/old stuff, the premise of "demanding" that this new 'fanzine' is just for the new Realms does not lessen the breach.

If you (or we) want to create something that appeals to Realms fans, no matter which era they prefer, it should contain stuff from every era people are interested in (be it reading or writing). Otherwise this 'fanzine' will only cater to the new and ignore those of us who like the old. It would be just another proverbial slap in the face to us old farts.

Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2010 :  14:23:51  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I welcome older lore, I just like to stay away from alternate timelines that rewrite what the FR designers have created. I believe if WotC has any issue- it would be with things such as this.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000