Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Karth
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  04:21:50  Show Profile  Visit Karth's Homepage Send Karth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed also seems to use an alternate version of 'slyblade' in the 'Storm' section of Silverfall, where it is used by Zhentarim agents in Shadowdale to refer to professional assassins - perhaps not assassins by actual character class, but certainly skilled rogues who specialize in sneaky elimination of enemy personnel. They are directed to follow a spell-disguised Storm into the jakes and see that no 'Harper tricks' are forthcoming. p.337 or so. Murderous hijinks ensue...

Great work, Kyrene. You've done us all a great service with this list.

Edited by - Karth on 30 Jul 2010 04:23:07
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2011 :  04:20:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Collops! - an exclamation I am assuming means something akin to bull***t!.

Seen on pg.4, 2e Draconimicon.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  17:47:06  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amazing work this is! I'm going to be able to use this so damned much! Many thanks to all who have helped put it together and Kyrene for the big effort!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

hdblue
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  04:02:41  Show Profile Send hdblue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Amazing work this is! I'm going to be able to use this so damned much! Many thanks to all who have helped put it together and Kyrene for the big effort!

Dear friends

I like Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms very much.

Very useful for me.

If you have some time, pls visit my blog at: Performance appraisal phrases
Rgs

Edited by - hdblue on 30 Mar 2011 13:39:32
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
716 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  10:00:38  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear all,

I have been putting off this post for a long time, but I think it is finally time. I last logged into the forums sometime during January/February 2011. I last worked on this glossary about a year ago. The Realms are pretty much dead to me, as is this body of work. If anyone would like to continue with this you are welcome to contact me for my formatted master list, as well as notes on how far I got in my research (and how to keep the list organized).

Regards,
Kyrene
Senior Scribe

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2011 :  22:27:08  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it looks i haven't posted enough to be allowed to send emails, but if nobody else is picking up the torch of expanding/updating this list then i probably will. we'll see if i have the follow-through to match the ambition. i'm starting with the additions from Ask Ed that have already been suggested here.

http://xaeyruudh.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2012 :  20:44:05  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
coming back to this between other projects, i have to ask... can we do this without stepping on anyone's toes? or more pointedly, steel-toed corporate combat boots?

i think it's clear that we should be fine providing definitions or translations of individual words, as long as such aren't copied in whole from the source, but what about phrases? am i going to have Hasbro agents throwing tear gas through my windows if i put up a cross-linked version of this list here, or on my blog? obviously, sources would be cited, as they are in Kyrene's list. i'm not claiming credit for anything i didn't do. i'm just wondering if citing sources is enough.

paranoid? careful? i don't always see a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2012 :  19:17:09  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to admit I'd not seen this thread before (or forgotten it) and am amazed by its breadth and depth. Thanks go to its creators and commentors all.

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2012 :  21:46:49  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Xaeyruudh, I wouldn't worry too much about WotC with a project like this. I find it reminiscent of another fan project that actually made it into an actual product: Grand History of the Forgotten Realms. (still have the pdf with the proto version of the end product)
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  18:50:12  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
point about the Grand History is well taken.

and hello Steven... i'm sure we all welcome additions from your notes.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2012 :  07:33:47  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
EDIT: OK, here's every new-to-me word and phrase I could find from the first 26 of Ed's Eye on the Realms articles. They're not formatted for the official glossary yet, but I thought I should at least get the words out there so anyone can see and use them.

EDIT: Formatting completed. Also re-sorted them by article.

Hopefully some of you will find this collection of use.

[*]“thorthen ” – Common:- a kind of melon grown in northern Sembia; also called meat melons; has a thick, mauve colored skins and a savory, orange-fleshed marrow that tastes like roast turkey flesh (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: Amreth Gaunt, Master Merchant, Dungeon #172)

[*]“Arbrar” – Common:- a lost realm that is in truth the creation of members of the Flame Door Cabal (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: The Flame Door, Dungeon #173)

[*]“bright-eye cloak pins” – Common:- a kind of cloak pin popular in the winter of 1478 DR in Sembia; crafted to appear like human eyes with gems for "pupils"; thought to be consecrated to elder or fallen gods to bring helpful magical aid in times of need (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: The Flame Door, Dungeon #173)

[*]“dajarrlith” – Common:- a wine best described as fiery, oily, spicy, orange in color, of eastern Amnian vintage; highly addictive (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: The Flame Door, Dungeon #173)

[*]“dreamdals” – Common:- a blend of cheap brandy, Arkhen wine, starfall herb and cinnamon; hawked by Sembian merchants as a liquid of "mysterious make and power"; popular in the summer of 1478 DR (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: The Flame Door, Dungeon #173)

[*]“Flame Door, the” – Common:- a cabal of merchants based in Sembia (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: The Flame Door, Dungeon #173)

[*]“frontcloak” – Common:- a term meaning a club or business used as a front or cover by its owners for secret or illicit activities (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: The Flame Door, Dungeon #173)

[*]“gladglee” – Common:- the Realmsian term for charades (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: The Flame Door, Dungeon #173)

[*]“glaers” – Common:- glass gorgets and pendants made of curved and polished glass on which are painted the portraits of a loved one; popular in the summer of 1477 DR in Sembia (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: The Flame Door, Dungeon #173)

[*]“glimmerboots” – Common:- a name for rich, well dressed Sembians who constantly seek the latest fashions, fads and trends (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: The Flame Door, Dungeon #173)

[*]“highboots” – Common:- boots that run right up to one's crotch; manufactured in Sembia in 1479 DR of exotic and rare monster hides (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: The Flame Door, Dungeon #173)

[*]“longpipges” – Common:- a tube on which several dark furs are sewn; similar in look to a feather boa; popular in the winter of 1477 DR in Sembia (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: The Flame Door, Dungeon #173)

[*]“sharoon bird” – Common:- a name given by Sembian merchants to a fearsome bird located in the central oases of Raurin that sports vivid purple tail feathers, the latter being highly sought after by the most refined and urbane Sembians to sport in their caps; the feathers are in fact dyed peacock feathers (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: The Flame Door, Dungeon #173)

[*]“skullstrike” – Common:- the Realmsian term for croquet (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: The Flame Door, Dungeon #173)

[*]“starfall” – Common:- a type of hallucinatory herb (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: The Flame Door, Dungeon #173)

[*]“swirlcloak” – Common:- a term used in the Heartlands for any fad of the moment (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: The Flame Door, Dungeon #173)

[*]“thamrall” – Common:- the Realms version of polo (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: The Flame Door, Dungeon #173)

[*]“unfurl the grand cloak” – Common:- a term meaning "to make it big." Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: The Flame Door, Dungeon #173)

[*]“handkeg” – Common:- a small container for carrying foodstuffs. (Pickles, etc…) Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: Tarmel Drouth, Outcast Noble, Dungeon #176)

[*]“avoid the gilded target” – Common:- a phrase used by the powerful Naernhands merchant family that urges all in the family to not seek noble titles (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: The House of Naerhand: Family Games of Power, Dungeon #177)

[*]“nightcloak” – Common:- a Heartlands term common in the mid-1470s for a man or woman who leads a double life: by day they are bookish and timid heirs, but by night are dashing, sword wielding adventurer types that have something romantic about them (like a lost cause, for example) (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: The Hunter of False Nobles, Dungeon #180)

[*]“wildwits” – Common:- reckless, erratic or insane (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: The Hunter of False Nobles, Dungeon #180)

[*]“enter no drinking contest with a dragon-headed” – Common:- a dwarven overland trail saying; attributed to the legendary drinking ability of dragon headed men (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: The Dracohar, Dungeon #182)

[*]“waytrader” – Common:- an independent peddler (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: The Circle of Fangs Revisited, Dungeon #183)

[*]“althor sap” – Common:- a kind of sap that changes viscosity and shape rapidly under different temperature and light conditions; sewn into small cloth objects for interesting effects (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: Rastigur Stornont, Dungeon #184)

[*]“blakkalan” – Common:- a type of wine; at least one type of sleep powder is known to remain effective for months in blakkalan wine (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: Rastigur Stornont, Dungeon #184)

[*]“royal-guard gem” – Common:- a gem that acts as clearwater solution one time only, when immersed in liquid (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: Rastigur Stornont, Dungeon #184)

[*]“thall” – Common:- a crayon made of soot and paste. Also called a "black stick" (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: Rastigur Stornont, Dungeon #184)

[*]“chartrum” – Common:- a Sembian company owned by non-Sembian ownership; used to control shadow sails (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: The Silent Sail, Dungeon #185)

[*]“purse tugged” – Common:- price gouging; overcharging for something (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: The Silent Sail, Dungeon #185)

[*]“shadow sail” – Common:- a merchant boat whose ownership is hidden behind layers of companies or under false names in order to obscure who the real owner is (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: The Silent Sail, Dungeon #185)

[*]“sling wares” – Common:- doing work in warehouses or making deliveries; sorting and packaging (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: The Silent Sail, Dungeon #185)

[*]“jawline fringe” – Common:- a goatee (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: Gergul and Mithgryn, Body Snatchers Extraordinaire, Dungeon #186)

[*]“spyseals” – Common:- matched pairs of magical threads of Halruaan make that allow for limited, brief scrying between two locations (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: Gergul and Mithgryn, Body Snatchers Extraordinaire, Dungeon #186)

[*]“brightshield” – Common:- smoothest; such as one might describe a courtier as "most brightshield" (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: Queen Filfaeril’s Blades, Dungeon #187)

[*]“rumorfire reputation” – Common:- a reputation gained through daring deeds or actions sure to attract attention (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: Queen Filfaeril’s Blades, Dungeon #187)

[*]“spalder-splash” – Common:- a Waterdhavian term for nonsensical dross (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: The Wild Lords, Dungeon #190)

[*]“wildblade” – Common:- a Waterdhavian noble who rebels against rules, believes rank accords one the right to break (some) laws and shun those who behave properly (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: The Wild Lords, Dungeon #190)

[*]“Jalander's dodge” – Common:- a wine tax evasion scheme utilizing the roouddan vegetable; invented by Mathym Jalander of Amn Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: Jalander's Dodge, Dungeon #191)

[*]“nosehounds” – Common:- dogs used to scent out hidden goods, such as wine (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: Jalander's Dodge, Dungeon #191)

[*]“roouddan” – Common:- a vegetable; called the red turnip of Proskur; used all around the Sea of Fallen Stars (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: Jalander's Dodge, Dungeon #191)

[*]“jaod” – Common:- an intelligent creature that lives in symbiosis with a warm-blooded creature it's attached to; a jaod's form can be shaped and molded (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: Masks of Living Flesh, Dungeon #192)

[*]“service dagger” – Common:- a magical dagger given to veteran Purple Dragons upon their retirement; emits a magical glow equivalent to candle light when held and willed to activate (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: Thormil’s Secret, Dungeon #194)

[*]“thimdrors” – Common:- a breed of short oxen; have almost lizard-like heads, are very wide at the shoulder, possess much strength and little intelligence; yields good meat for hearth-fires (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: Thormil’s Secret, Dungeon #194)

[*]“alarvaun” – Common:- a kind of herb made from leaves of the vaundyr vine (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: Spellslayer Wine, Dungeon #195)

[*]“bittergar bush” – Common:- a thistle-like shrub; small in size and dark blue in color; found in almost any non-mountainous, non-desert region (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: Spellslayer Wine, Dungeon #195)

[*]“drace” – Common:- a kind of herb made from the leaves of the bittergar bush (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: Spellslayer Wine, Dungeon #195)

[*]“lurruth” – Common:- a disease that causes one to rot from the inside out; usually spread by the bite of monsters (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: Spellslayer Wine, Dungeon #195)

[*]“spellslayer wine” – Common:- wine mixed with spellstop (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: Spellslayer Wine, Dungeon #195)

[*]“spellstop” – Common:- a substance that causes those who consume it to lose their spellcasting ability (if any) for a time (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: Spellslayer Wine, Dungeon #195)

[*]“stingflies” – Common:- small, stinging insects that fly in swarms and make various swamp fauna (such as thelmallow flowers) their home (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: Spellslayer Wine, Dungeon #195)

[*]“thelmallow” – Common:- a flowering plant that grows in bogs and stagnant swamps; white in color; known to attract stingflies (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: Spellslayer Wine, Dungeon #195)

[*]“vaundyr vine” – Common:- a kind of vine plant with small, green, waxy leaves that grows in abundance in wet, shady areas; found in Amn, Calimshan, the Dragon Coast and Tethyr (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: Spellslayer Wine, Dungeon #195

[*]“Guardian Risen, the” – Common:- a term used by worshipers of the dead god Helm for signs and portents of Helm's return in Faerϋn; ex. the Ghost Knight of Galardoun (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: Ghost Knight of Galardoun, Dungeon #196)

[*]“Dark documents” – Common:- in Cormyr, Dark documents are the name given to internal security records kept by the Wizards of War (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: Xraunrarr Shall Triumph,[/i] Dragon #406)

[*]“Privy documents” – Common:- in Cormyr, Privy documents are royal family writings such as wills, individual agreements, declarations of lineage and personal correspondence (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: Xraunrarr Shall Triumph,[/i] Dragon #406)

[*]“undercloak” – Common:- a kind of patient, waiting treason; not actively treasonous, but waiting for just the right moment to be so (Ed Greenwood's Eye On the Realms: Xraunrarr Shall Triumph[/i], Dragon #406)

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 06 May 2012 19:32:05
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2012 :  20:37:20  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the topic of Realms Glossary, I do recall a realms specific word for an acid-like substance used by smiths. I believe in the Spellfire books the protagonists stumble upon or get involved with a caravan carrying this stuff. I do not have the books available to me right now, any of the scribes know what this 'stuff' is called?
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2012 :  22:37:17  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The book is "Hand of Fire" and I thought to recall the name Blandreth.... though that is a cauldron... according to this glossary...
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  05:17:48  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are the words and phrases drawn from Ed's January 2012 Eye on the Realms article, with proper forum formatting:

[*]“roughslake” – Common:- a term for inexpensive, unexceptionable drinkables such as wine (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: A Surprising Vintage, Dragon #407)

[*]“Coast Fanfare” – Common:- a sweet tasting, popular Haeltower-made wine (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: A Surprising Vintage, Dragon #407)

[*]“throatquench” – Common:- a term for wine that's drinkable, but not exceptional (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: A Surprising Vintage, Dragon #407)

[*]“smallkeg” – Common:- a small container of the size a man can carry when full, without need of a cart or pack animal, with rope handles or net-like wrap around for ease of carrying, with a single hole in its widest point that's plugged by a cork (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: A Surprising Vintage, Dragon #407)

[*]“vauntras” – Thorass (Old Common):- a word often found on warding charms popular amongst the backcountry populace of the Heartlands and Sword Coast; means "keep back" or "keep from me" (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: A Surprising Vintage, Dragon #407)

[*]“pouncehawk” – Common:- a term for a spy or investigator who has the authority to affect arrests or is invested with governmental power; used in friendly commentary as a warning when one is obviously doing something illegal; "A pouncehawk will follow you right back to us if you carry stolen goods out in the open like that!" (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: A Surprising Vintage, Dragon #407)

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 06 May 2012 19:32:42
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  19:57:56  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome work, Jeremy. Now one of these days maybe I'll get finished organizing everything that's been added to the thread so far.

I'm pondering ways to split it, so that we can have an alphabetical index of everything but also smaller chunks of relevant things which are easier to read in one sitting.

Faraer pointed out earlier in this thread that there are different types/levels of things in this list. Those might provide good splitting points.

I'm wide open to suggestions. Or if someone else has a tight grip on it, feel free to do it.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2012 :  18:46:50  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are the words and phrases drawn from Ed's February 2012 Eye on the Realms article, with proper forum formatting:

[*]“anandjack” – Common:- the equivalent of a butler; the head of a shift of doorjacks in a castle, palace or very large mansion; the chief doorjack in smaller buildings (such as a household) (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Enchanted Painting of Manyshields Hall, Dragon #408)

[*]“banners” – Common:- forces that operate seperately within a larger mercenary organization (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Enchanted Painting of Manyshields Hall, Dragon #408)

[*]“bullyblade” – Common:- can mean any of the following: a mean drunk who is always armed and looking for a fight; a paid force of sellswords who guard persons and property; a group of armed men not averse to theft, killing, arson, destruction of property and kidnapping (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Enchanted Painting of Manyshields Hall, Dragon #408)

[*]“dalash wood” – Common:- a type of wood from the Tashalar; sometimes used as the backframe for paintings (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Enchanted Painting of Manyshields Hall, Dragon #408)

[*]“dardrane” – Common:- a term for the life story, thus far, of a person still living; used by minstrels and bards (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Enchanted Painting of Manyshields Hall, Dragon #408)

[*]“doorjack” – Common:- a type of uniformed, domestic manservant; someone stationed next to the door of a chamber; used for delivering messages or fetching and returning with small items (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Enchanted Painting of Manyshields Hall, Dragon #408)

[*]“finecloak” – Common:- a sort of factor; in Sembia the term means an individual hired for the purpose of decorating one's living space (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Enchanted Painting of Manyshields Hall, Dragon #408)

[*]“guardspawn” – Common:- a transformed deepspawn (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Enchanted Painting of Manyshields Hall, Dragon #408)

[*]“old coin” – Common:- someone who hales from older, established riches and wealth (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Enchanted Painting of Manyshields Hall, Dragon #408)

[*]“oskrisk” – Common:- a mythical creature; its bite and expectorant are said to slow the movement of mammals; a door-shaped guardian that can form a dragon-like neck topped with jaws that consume the unwary (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Enchanted Painting of Manyshields Hall, Dragon #408)

[*]“sellsword” – Common:- a swordsman for hire (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Enchanted Painting of Manyshields Hall, Dragon #408)

[*]“sword-comrade” – Common:- a trusted companion--one who has shared and survived many battles with others (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Enchanted Painting of Manyshields Hall, Dragon #408)

NOTE: This is a really good article. It's filled with Realms-flavored words and phrases and is imminently adaptable to any ongoing Realms campaign. I hope to use its contents in my game at some future point.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 06 May 2012 20:14:29
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  03:25:36  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A phrase found in the recent Backdrop: Suzail article:

[*]“the latest scorched” – Common:- referring to the latest news spread throughout Suzail in broadsheet form; broadsheets are often glued to buildings, which forces building owners to burn them off in order to remove them (Backdrop: Suzail by Eric Menge, Dungeon #198)

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2012 :  04:46:27  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reserved for words and phrases from the novel Bury Elminster Deep.

[*]“Berduskan Dark” – Common:- a kind of wine (Elminster Must Die by Ed Greenwood)

[*]“battlebrand” – Common:- someone who gets fired up (Elminster Must Die by Ed Greenwood)

[*]“Crown and Throne!” – Common:- an oath used in Cormyr (Elminster Must Die by Ed Greenwood)

[*]“flagonjack” – Common:- a man who fetches flagons of drink for guests at a drinking house or club (Elminster Must Die by Ed Greenwood)

[*]“flamewine” – Common:- a kind of wine (Elminster Must Die by Ed Greenwood)

[*]“Firewine” – Common:- a kind of wine (Elminster Must Die by Ed Greenwood)

[*]“Sembian soft sharpnip” – Common:- a kind of cheese (Elminster Must Die by Ed Greenwood)

[*]“shrewjaws” – Common:- a less than polite term used to describe a harsh-tongued woman (Elminster Must Die by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 29 May 2012 03:25:56
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2012 :  02:03:52  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are the words and phrases drawn from Ed's March 2012 Eye on the Realms article, with proper forum formatting:

[*]“shield names” – Common:- archaic term for the phrase "cover names"; used to describe the false names Highknights of Cormyr would assume when operating under cover; (modern) cover names (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Mernendil Gold, Dragon #409)

[*]“cover names” – Common:- term for names Highknights of Cormyr assume when operating under cover; Cormyr does not encourage its spies to re-use the same cover name, unlike nations such as Tethyr, Amn and Sembia; (archaic) shield names (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Mernendil Gold, Dragon #409)

[*]“the Merendil gold” – Common:- phrase referring to the gold widely believed by Cormyreans to have been secreted away by the exiled Merendil noble family somewhere in Cormyr; the Merendils are thought to still seek their gold via hired agents (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Mernendil Gold, Dragon #409)

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 29 May 2012 03:28:07
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2012 :  16:37:06  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reserved for words and phrases out of Volo's Guide to Waterdeep

[*]“hard blade” – Common:- a phrase describing someone who is merciless, as in a hard blade moneylender (Volo's Guide to Waterdeep by Ed Greenwood)

Note to Sage: still working on mining words from this book.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 19 Jun 2012 04:59:43
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2012 :  06:29:15  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reserved for words and phrases out of Volo's Guide to the North

[*]“silverflashes” – Common:- a very small bait fish; used to make daintyfish skewers (Volo's Guide to the North by Ed Greenwood)

[*]“daintyfish skewers” – Common:- a food item sold at the Moonstone Mask in Neverwinter; made from silverflashes (i.e. small bait fish) (Volo's Guide to the North by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 19 Jun 2012 05:00:08
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2012 :  08:14:52  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are the words and phrases drawn from Ed's April 2012 Eye on the Realms article, with proper forum formatting:

[*]“jacks” – Common:- a term used to describe the youths employed at the Inn of the Dripping Dagger to fetch and return items from the Inn's cellars and attics (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Talking Door, Dragon #410)

[*]“Whisperer within the Door” – Common:- the name given by broadcryers in Waterdeep to the voice that emanates from the front door of the Inn of the Dripping Dagger (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Talking Door, Dragon #410)

[*]“the High” – Common:- a shortening of "the High Road"; citizens of Waterdeep almost always use this term instead of the street's full name; outlanders and non-natives of Waterdeep can be distinguished as such by their failure to use this term (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Talking Door, Dragon #410)

[*]“seasoners” – Common:- individuals who rent rooms by the season (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Talking Door, Dragon #410)

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 06 May 2012 20:09:00
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2012 :  06:48:28  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reserved for words and phrases found in Volo's Guide to Cormyr

[*]“utterdark” – Common:- a raw, fiery wine with an almost salty taste produced in Bogbrook in Cormyr; known less formally as black Bogbrook water (Volo's Guide to Cormyr by Ed Greenwood)

[*]“lawhook” – Common:- a sort of hook attached to a twenty foot long pole; utilized by Purple Dragons to gaff those wishing to fight or flee, to grab flotsam in or under the water and to grab hold of docks or other boats (Volo's Guide to Cormyr by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 11 Aug 2012 07:35:51
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2012 :  21:12:34  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are the words and phrases drawn from Ed's May 2012 Eye on the Realms article, with proper forum formatting:

[*]“wharfjets” – Common:- small, movable cranes used on Waterdeep's docks to load and unload ships (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Storm Bird, Dragon #411)

[*]“quietcloak” – Common:- Sword Coast term for someone who keeps a low public profile and regularly keeps his or her own counsel rather than gossiping. (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Storm Bird, Dragon #411)

[*]“Raedro” – Common:- Old Common word meaning "What we seek is in here" (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Storm Bird, Dragon #411)

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2012 :  06:22:43  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are the words and phrases drawn from Ed's June 2012 Eye on the Realms article, with proper forum formatting:

[*]“dead barge cremations” – Common:- a method of dispensing with corpses utilized by the poor of Marsember where an old scow is piled with the dead and then towed out to sea and set aflame (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Thing in the Crypt, Dragon #412)

[*]“highrake” – Common:- in the parlance of 1479 Cormyr, this term means any dashing, strapping noble who does gallant, headstrong, and expensive things that nobles are popularly supposed to do (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Thing in the Crypt, Dragon #412)

[*]“winter chill” – Common:- by 1479 DR this term is the common name for pneumonia (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Thing in the Crypt, Dragon #412)

[*]“kissing they very dreams” – Common:- one's ultimate desire; drawn from an anonymous and well-known poem (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Thing in the Crypt, Dragon #412)

[*]“gossip gives every powerful Cormyrian a dozen lovers, where most can manage but one” – Common:- a saying attributed to Dove Falconhand (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Thing in the Crypt, Dragon #412)

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 11 Jul 2012 05:33:46
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2012 :  05:50:12  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are the words and phrases drawn from Ed's July 2012 Eye on the Realms article, with proper forum formatting:

[*]“flush with high-heaped coins” – Common:- a Sword Coast phrase; literally: wealthy, having excess funds; used to describe an individual or a group (family, guild, trading company) eager to purchase in bulk or invest, primarily for the purpose of starting a new business or to expand an existing business into new holdings (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Six Horned Crowns, Dragon #413)

[*]“not previously entertained” – Common:- a Waterdhavian phrase pertaining to commercial interests; refers to business activities not previously engaged in; e.g. "We will expand our business into holdings not previously entertained." (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Six Horned Crowns, Dragon #413)

[*]“all horns hunt” – Common:- the equivalent of a real-world "all points bulletin" (APB) for the Watch in the city of Waterdeep; refers to the signal horns all Watch officers carry while on patrol (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Six Horned Crowns, Dragon #413)

[*]“riding my own coin” – Common:- an expression that means "at one's own expense"; also "I'll buy this round" (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Six Horned Crowns, Dragon #413)

[*]“safegiving” – Common:- the act of turning over suspect, possibly dangerous items, or items whose ownership is in dispute, to the Watch of Waterdeep; a popular action over the last thirty years (approx. 1449 DR to 1479 DR) and seen as a civic duty; items unclaimed after four seasons are returned to the individual who safegave them, as are items for which a dispute over ownership has been resolved (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Six Horned Crowns, Dragon #413)

[*]“keyholes” – Common:- crafted ways through a ward or a set of wardcastings (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Six Horned Crowns, Dragon #413)

[*]“thaethar” – Common:- the name for forgebrew recipes sold by alchemists; such might include recipes for using monster blood to bind metals together (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Six Horned Crowns, Dragon #413; Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012): http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15988&whichpage=34#391361)

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 11 Sep 2012 07:26:05
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2012 :  22:43:42  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are the words and phrases drawn from Ed's August 2012 Eye on the Realms article, with proper forum formatting:

[*]“prominent and dominant” – Common:- a phrase found in broadsheets printed in Waterdeep; considered a polite term for ruthless-in-trade, domineering nobles, guildmasters and wealthy citizenry seeking to become noble (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Lost Dragon of Waterdeep, Dragon #414)

[*]“comfort fare” – Common:- food that is flavorful and easy to eat (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Lost Dragon of Waterdeep, Dragon #414)

[*]“tharakh” – Common:- a wine made in Calimshan; sweet, spicy and yellow in color; the grapes are fermented in vats of blood-tainted lemon juice; 'camel blood-in-lemon wine' (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Lost Dragon of Waterdeep, Dragon #414)

[*]“onslur eel” – Common:- a freshwater eel found in shallow streams and deep rivers in the Heartlands; pale, mottled dun-white in color (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Lost Dragon of Waterdeep, Dragon #414; Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012): http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15988&whichpage=47#398458)

[*]“tonthur nut” – Common:- a kind of edible in the raw nut; similar in look to the edible portion of a walnut, save that its surface is spiky-all-over in appearance; can be found growing on thorny vines in hilly parts of Amn and Tethyr, and further inland in parts of Turmish and the Vilhon (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Lost Dragon of Waterdeep, Dragon #414; Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012): http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15988&whichpage=47#398458)

[*]“Guild Speaker” – Common:- a grandiose term for a spokesperson of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors; an official title circa 1479 DR; several such speakers exist, specializing in particular fields of expertise (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Lost Dragon of Waterdeep, Dragon #414)

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 11 Sep 2012 08:10:16
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2012 :  00:38:49  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are the words and phrases drawn from Ed's September 2012 Eye on the Realms article, with proper forum formatting:

[*]“Naeth” – Alzhedo?:- means "first below", as in the first level below the ground floor (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Haunted Battlement, Dragon #415)

[*]“elralanth” – Common:- a crystal of amber-hued color; rare; can be melted and enchanted into a coating for metal armor; the coating is durable and exceptionally hard; wards off rust and is transparent (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Haunted Battlement, Dragon #415)

[*]“durthdra” – Alzhedo?- dumbwater (Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms: The Haunted Battlement, Dragon #415)

Note to The Sage: I'm waiting on replies from Ed regarding a few of these words.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 09 Sep 2012 00:39:24
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2012 :  02:17:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

Note to The Sage: I'm waiting on replies from Ed regarding a few of these words.
Ah, good. I've got a few days off coming in the next couple of weeks, so I'm going to strive to continue your compilation then.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2012 :  04:23:18  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From Ed's Forging the Realms article "Just a Typical Night in an Inn"

by what the Dales and northeastern Cormyr call “highroad blades” (brigands)

“dog pay,” a lump sum of 100 gp per year of service plus rank bonuses. (The term was born of the minstrels’ expression “Go and live out your years lazing like an old dog by the fireside.”)

“keep a few coins warm” (pinch pennies)

“hardcoin” (hard up)

“under the cloak” (undercover)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000