Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 question on Improved Toughness Feat
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BlackDragonKarameikos
Learned Scribe

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2010 :  03:45:30  Show Profile  Visit BlackDragonKarameikos's Homepage Send BlackDragonKarameikos a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have a question that one of my players brought up to me concerning the Improved Toughness feat.

Is the increase in HP cumulative? (e.g. he would gain 12 HP for 12th Lvl, 13 for 13th, and so on, or does he only gain one additional HP each time he gains a hit die?)

If it is cumulative then it would seem to be a very broken feat as any character taking it would gain a huge amount of HP in only a few levels. With just the HP in the example I gave the PC would gain 25 HP from the feat, not to mention what he would gain from his hit dice and his Con modifier.

Any inpuit on this would be a great help and will be greatly appreciated.

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2010 :  03:56:11  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He only gains 1 hp per level, though if it's taken at level 12, you'd gain 12 hps. At least, that's how I read it, and every level thereafter, he gets 1 hp.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
757 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2010 :  11:28:26  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He would gain 1HP per level (including gaining it retoractively for levels he gained before gaining the feat). As Joran mentioned, he'd therefore gain 1HP at level 12, plus 11HP for levels 1-11 before he gained the feat, but would only gain 1HP more at level 13 and every level thereafter.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

BlackDragonKarameikos
Learned Scribe

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2010 :  18:11:06  Show Profile  Visit BlackDragonKarameikos's Homepage Send BlackDragonKarameikos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so it is cumulative, but only when he originally takes the feat, afterwards it is only 1 HP per level. That actually makes more sense then it being cumulative each level, which would have made it one very broken feat if it had.
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2010 :  20:48:11  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another way to think of it, Karameikos, is that it effectively raises your CON score by 2 (and CON bonus by 1), but only for the purposes of hp. Since max-hp changes brought on by Constitution changes are applied immediately and retroactively, Improved Toughness effectively does the same.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000