Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  06:19:56  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by rjfras

There is a legend of a "fountain of youth" mentioned in the Lands of Intrigue book rumored to be in the Forest of Mir.

The Wellspring Endless: Legends tell of a crystal-blue spring that surfaces amid a ring of white stones, and this is the Wellspring Endless. To drink from the pool is to live forever, regain one's youth, or forever relive nightmares while your body remains in a stupor. The pool remains undiscovered.

Funny... I was just looking at that reference earlier today while researching Myth Dyraalis (for another Ed question); so, Ed, is there anything more you can tell us about the Wellspring Endless, or is it also NDA? Mostly just a point of curiosity; it would be nice to be able to place it on a map... particularly a certain marvelous piece of cartography being assembled by a fellow scribe here at the 'Keep...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  06:51:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Yeah, but then those who Read All and Know Too Much (quoting an older Realms sourcebook, there) would know exactly where it was!

Seriously, I think something like that should be up to each DM -- just like it's effects.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  07:10:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Yeah, but then those who Read All and Know Too Much (quoting an older Realms sourcebook, there) would know exactly where it was!

Seriously, I think something like that should be up to each DM -- just like it's effects.

I'm inclined to agree. It's really an aspect of the Realmslore that works best according to the individual whims of the DM, I think.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  07:38:05  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
Another question, if I may. How would parents in Cormyr view their child becoming a paladin? And how would parents of the nobility (especially a father that was a retired Purple Dragon Knight and a mother that's a cleric of Torm) view the fact they have a son that's a paladin? Would they be upset, or is it something to be proud of and celebrate?

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  07:38:23  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:
Originally posted by Sian

Relatively easy question here ...

How far north do we have to go to get to Polar Circle ... Great Glacier?, Spine of the World? ... or?

Dang, my FR Interactive Atlas hasn't been reinstalled since my laptop crashed. Wooly? You got yours up and running?

Sorry, nope. It's not something I use all that much, so I've gotten out of the habit of automatically installing it. I think the last time I installed it was three or four years ago, to help someone else who had an issue installing it.

Mine is up and running, and unless there's a hidden layer somewhere that I cannot spot, there's no indications of latitude in the FRIA. What I do have is a doctored version of the world map in the Forgotten Realms Atlas, that puts the arctic circle north of Icewind Dale, so definitely north of the Spine of the World.

I have a vague recollection of a long discussion on time zones and latitudes, either on the old Realms-L list, or on these boards. Ah, there it is - end of 2004, early 2005, I seem to recollect? Sage?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  08:14:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

I have a vague recollection of a long discussion on time zones and latitudes, either on the old Realms-L list, or on these boards. Ah, there it is - end of 2004, early 2005, I seem to recollect? Sage?
There's bits and pieces, both here and on the REALMS-L. I've compiled most of it already, but the most relevant bits are:-
quote:
"And I may just take you up on that offer of running calculations! I must admit that in running the Realms, I’ve just used the “mental map” comparison of the continental United States silhouette Jeff Grubb put into the Old Gray Box versus the Sword Coast Heartlands, and applied the (politically distorted) time zone differential, because I “know without thinking” how many hours “behind” TSR in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, and WotC in Renton, Washington, were from me in Ontario, Canada, and most of the portal jumps or teleports in the ‘home’ Realms have either been relatively short (from point to point within the Dales or within Cormyr, for instance), or between Cormyr or the Dales and Waterdeep or its immediate environs (often atop Maiden’s Tomb Tor)."
And:-
quote:
3.13. Does Toril have time zones?

Toril

* Circumference = 23,400 approx
* 24 time zones
* Axial tilt is ~ 19-25 degrees
* Prime Meridian is Myth Drannor
* Other time zones are based on meridian lines of globe function in Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas (two per square).
* Time zones are 975 miles wide.

Nit-pick -- that is 975 miles wide at the equator of course. This will dwindle down to zero as you approach the poles.

And Bryon Wischstadt added:

You should have been a Luka's Bar during GenCon when we worked this out! (I took notes) :) Something Trent didn't mention (we're co-DMs) is that with gates transporting the user instantly (as ::ahem:: *most* do) we got to thinking about adding another bit of realism to the game. We wanted to know what time of day it was when the party arrived in their new destination halfway across Faerun. From the player's perspective, they step through a gate mid-morning and arrive at a place that is still dark... this is a nice cue to the players that they have moved quite a distance. (They don't know the destinations of the gates) As you can see it's quick and relatively simple--add 2 hrs per grid on the atlas--and you'll end up with something kinda cool from both the DM and players' perspectives. As Trent said "Hope this helps"... Enjoy!

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  09:34:52  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

Another question, if I may. How would parents in Cormyr view their child becoming a paladin? And how would parents of the nobility (especially a father that was a retired Purple Dragon Knight and a mother that's a cleric of Torm) view the fact they have a son that's a paladin? Would they be upset, or is it something to be proud of and celebrate?

Really. Purple Dragon and a cleric of Torm... that warrants no questions. I bet they'd be excited.
As for the overall - I guess the reaction would be similar. My idea is some/many of Purple Dragons are paladins. Who said they can only be straightforward fighters?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  10:50:17  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

quote:

Really. Purple Dragon and a cleric of Torm... that warrants no questions. I bet they'd be excited.
As for the overall - I guess the reaction would be similar. My idea is some/many of Purple Dragons are paladins. Who said they can only be straightforward fighters?

Yes, really. The reason I asked was my old DM and I had a debate about the matter. His take on it was that no parent wanted their child to become a paladin because of the fact most never made it to 30, and lived such a rough life. He said that my character Joran would be an embarassment to them. This topic led to many discussions/debates about the matter, and he mentioned he'd read somewhere that his view was correct. He could never remember where, though. That's why I'm asking, as I'd prefer an official answer from Mr. Greenwood about this. Haven't played under that DM in years, but I'd still like to know for my own peace of mind.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart

Edited by - Joran Nobleheart on 16 May 2010 05:43:18
Go to Top of Page

The_Silversword
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  11:48:17  Show Profile Send The_Silversword a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Sian

Relatively easy question here ...

How far north do we have to go to get to Polar Circle ... Great Glacier?, Spine of the World? ... or?

Dang, my FR Interactive Atlas hasn't been reinstalled since my laptop crashed. Wooly? You got yours up and running?

Sorry, nope. It's not something I use all that much, so I've gotten out of the habit of automatically installing it. I think the last time I installed it was three or four years ago, to help someone else who had an issue installing it.

Mine is up and running, and unless there's a hidden layer somewhere that I cannot spot, there's no indications of latitude in the FRIA. What I do have is a doctored version of the world map in the Forgotten Realms Atlas, that puts the arctic circle north of Icewind Dale, so definitely north of the Spine of the World.

Mayhap this will help? honkin' big link

Mod edit: cast shrinky link

I survived the Spellplague and all I got was this stupid sig.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 15 May 2010 17:20:49
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  14:07:31  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message
not really ... the angle on it is tricky to work with

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  17:05:09  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, really. The reason I asked was my old DM and I had a debate about the matter. His take on it was that no parent wanted their child to become a paladin because of the fact most never made it to 30, and lived such a rough life. He said that my character Joran would be an embarassment to them. This topic led to many discussions/debates about the matter, and he mentioned he'd read somewhere that his view was correct. He could never remember where, though. That's why I'm asking, as I'd prefer an official answer from Mr. Greenwood about this. Haven't played under that DM in years, but I'd sill like to know for my own peace of mind.

It's really a case-by-case scenario. Much like today, if a child tells their parents (s)he is going into the Marines, the parents may react all kinds of different ways.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  17:13:15  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message
I have a question for Ed and THO if she has anything she can add.

Can you tell us anything else about the Sacred Hexad besides what has been mentioned which is just who the five are?

Are there any groups or villages or areas that follow the Hexad or is it just one-off followers here and there?

Is there a symbol to represent the five? Or special colors worn by followers and/or clergy?

Are there clerics of the Sacred Hexad or are they clerics of one of the five and pay homage to the other four?

Who grants divine casters their spells? Do the deities share the task or do they divide it up somehow? ie one grants say healing type spells, another summoning spells, etc.

Is there a dogma or general way of life for the Hexad's followers or do followers just follow the dogmas for each of the five? How does the pacifism of Eldath meld with the fight taken by those of Mieliki and Silvanus to those who harm the forest and its occupants?
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  21:32:49  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:
Originally posted by rjfras

There is a legend of a "fountain of youth" mentioned in the Lands of Intrigue book rumored to be in the Forest of Mir.

The Wellspring Endless: Legends tell of a crystal-blue spring that surfaces amid a ring of white stones, and this is the Wellspring Endless. To drink from the pool is to live forever, regain one's youth, or forever relive nightmares while your body remains in a stupor. The pool remains undiscovered.

Funny... I was just looking at that reference earlier today while researching Myth Dyraalis (for another Ed question); so, Ed, is there anything more you can tell us about the Wellspring Endless, or is it also NDA? Mostly just a point of curiosity; it would be nice to be able to place it on a map... particularly a certain marvelous piece of cartography being assembled by a fellow scribe here at the 'Keep...

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I'm inclined to agree. It's really an aspect of the Realmslore that works best according to the individual whims of the DM, I think.

Funny... I had come to much the same conclusion on my own, and was stopping by to un-ask the question (yes, I know it's too late for that, but at any rate to inform Ed that I no longer seek an answer for said question).

quote:
those who Read All and Know Too Much

Yes... that particular group. I'd forgotten about them; they're not a problem in the group I game with, and yes, I know how lucky I am.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 15 May 2010 21:35:32
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  21:34:59  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
quote:

Toril

* 24 time zones

Which begs the question: Does this have any effect on magic or culture? Does Myth Drannor have (more) importance due to being the Prime Meridian?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  00:01:39  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, really. The reason I asked was my old DM and I had a debate about the matter. His take on it was that no parent wanted their child to become a paladin because of the fact most never made it to 30, and lived such a rough life. He said that my character Joran would be an embarassment to them. This topic led to many discussions/debates about the matter, and he mentioned he'd read somewhere that his view was correct. He could never remember where, though. That's why I'm asking, as I'd prefer an official answer from Mr. Greenwood about this. Haven't played under that DM in years, but I'd still like to know for my own peace of mind.

It's really a case-by-case scenario. Much like today, if a child tells their parents (s)he is going into the Marines, the parents may react all kinds of different ways.

Ok, thank you Ashe. Though if Mr. Greenwood would like to add more, I'd definitely love to hear his insights and thoughts on the matter.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart

Edited by - Joran Nobleheart on 16 May 2010 05:43:44
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  01:37:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

Which begs the question: Does this have any effect on magic or culture? Does Myth Drannor have (more) importance due to being the Prime Meridian?
An interesting question for Ed, certainly.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  03:53:52  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
If its not NDA.

there is a discussion going on on the wotc boards about the scrbe of the damned, Lord Jergal.
namely his avatar, some have said he is an ascended mortal, so if that is true, what was he has a mortal, a Tri-keen? this is what he resembles mostly in his avatar, well taht or a spellweaver from previous editions.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  07:09:49  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

If its not NDA.

there is a discussion going on on the wotc boards about the scrbe of the damned, Lord Jergal.
namely his avatar, some have said he is an ascended mortal, so if that is true, what was he has a mortal, a Tri-keen? this is what he resembles mostly in his avatar, well taht or a spellweaver from previous editions.

I'll await Ed & THO, but here's some descriptions from Netheril: Empire of Magic (p. 40-42):
quote:
The Lord of the Dead was depicted as a wizened, insubstantial mummy of some ancient, alien race. His skin was gray and tightly strung across his frame. His bulbous, yellow, lifeless eyes and insectoid mandibles resembled a cross between a humanoid and a praying mantis. His ears and nose were barely distinguishable from his elongated skull. Most of his body was covered with an utterly lightless cloak that seemed to absorb the very atmosphere that enveloped it. He wore white gloves, which covered elongated, claw-like hands and forearms, and a shadow-filled gray cloak that rose and fell as if buffeted by an unseen wind. He clutched a thick scroll covered with intricate, incomprehensible script and a freshly inked quill in his hands.

quote:
Jergal could manifest as any undead creature, gaining all its innate abilities in doing so. He also sometimes took the form of a mortal man with a great white beard, who was bent with extreme age yet held intelligence and a driving energy in his sunken eyes. Jergal’s preferred manifestation was the sound of a heavy tome being closed with chilling finality. This manifestation often occurred upon the death of an exceptionally long lived mortal, particularly one who had extended his or her life with potions of longevity and like magical manipulations—such as the magic of an archwizard.

It doesn't mention if he ascended from a mortal or not.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  07:39:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

If its not NDA.

Eric Boyd once suggested that Jergal was most likely a Spellweaver god of death that originated around the Lake of Steam area.

Additionally, Eric also said:-
quote:
I do like the idea of Jergal being a spellweaver death god, as I think it really fits the original picture of Jergal in "Prince of Lies." That said, I'm not sure when I'd have a chance to address the question in an upcoming Realms product one way or the other. Also, I'm not sure whether it would do Jergal justice to mention his origin without an associated plot exploiting it.

I guess my answer is ... I don't know for now, but I'll certainly consider it if I get the opportunity in the future. This will probably depend in large part on fan reaction on the various boards I read.
And here's another bit he posted on the Wizards boards several years ago:-
quote:
It has been speculated by more than a few Realms fans that the image of Jergal in Powers and Pantheons makes him look like an evolved or ascended thri-kreen. As such, several theories which try to explain this supposed connection have arisen here, and on other boards.

Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  09:13:11  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message
Hey Ed,

As a fellow Canadian, I'm wondering if you've been able to pull yourself from the Realms (and all your other commitments!) long enough to follow any of the NHL playoffs? Being from Ontario, I don't suppose you're a Canadiens fan, but what they've done so far has been absolutely astounding.

Cheers!

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  17:12:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Sandro. I actually teased Ed about this very subject a few days back, and he told me that he watched the overtime period of the game the Canadiens lost to the Leafs (that got them "backing into" the playoffs by virtue of the one point they earned, unlike their loss to the Leafs the year earlier, that shut them out of the playoffs) when he was in his hotel room at Ad Astra.
Then he caught one period of Habs-Caps, near the end of the series, the last two periods of an early Vancouver game, and the last two periods of a first-round Boston victory. Then an entire Penguins-Habs game, snatches of two more games in that series, and the last period of the last game in that series. He also saw an entire San Jose second-round victory and the last two periods of the victory that put them into the Conference Final, and snatches of the Chicago-into-final victoy and three Boston-Philly games.
In other words, glimpses. That's what happens when you're a busy, busy library worker, library board chair, housekeeper, game designer, and writer. He'd probably agree with you that the Habs have "turned amazing" at the right time, considering a game he saw them play early in the season in which he figured the eighty-year-old beer drinkers at his local Legion could have strapped on unfamiliar skates and equipment, gone out on the ice, and beaten the Canadiens that night.
And to other scribes who neither know or care about hockey, well, here's another example of how weird sports sounds to non-fans.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  17:21:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. This time, Ed makes a Realmslore reply to Nicolai Withander, re this: "Hello ED and THO...
I was wondering about a theme that exists in almost any fantasy realm/world, and that it a Fountain of Youth, but I have never heard or read about anything similar in Faerûn? So does said fountain exist and if yes, then where?"
Ed replies:

As rjfras pointed out, The Wellspring Endless is what you're looking for.
To the lore he outlined ("Legends tell of a crystal-blue spring that surfaces amid a ring of white stones, and this is the Wellspring Endless. To drink from the pool is to live forever, regain one's youth, or forever relive nightmares while your body remains in a stupor. The pool remains undiscovered.") I'll add this:
The pool is in the Forest of Mir and has been discovered any number of times; it remains UNMAPPED and properly located, thanks to divine influence (that continually "shifts" forest features for about a mile all around it).
Whose influence? Well, here's a hint: clergy of Eldath believe it is where the goddess herself bathes, and that for any of them to try to bathe in it is blasphemous - - but among a temple's greatest treasures (if they can procure it, and a priest of the temple must do so personally; no buying such a thing from adventurers or merchants) is a vial or two of the pool's water, that can serve as the ultimate healing/restorative (brings back from the dead, restores entire body from even a few ashes or bone shards, banishes curses and even divine geas and effects, eradicates plague and green slime, and so on.
I can reveal all of this because it's been part of a long-ago RPGA for-charity adventure I ran, that participants got copies of, so this has been published (and is canon, for those keeping score ;} ).

So saith Ed. Whose Realmslore is deeper and larger than even most keen scribes guess...
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  17:34:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Ed just sent me another e-mail, in which he regretfully noted that Jergal is too NDA'd for him to say much about Jergal's mortal existence before ascension. However, he added this enigmatic comment:

Much has yet to be revealed about the spellweaver race and about the racial past/development of the thri-kreen. Both of which have a connection to Jergal (in one case to his mortal self AND his divine self, and in the other only to his divine self).
There. NDAs avoided by one of deftest dances I've had to do in a long time. :}

So saith Ed. Who promises a reply to Joran re paladinhood, next.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  17:50:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
. . . And as promised, Ed comes through.
In response to this query, from Joran Nobleheart: "Another question, if I may. How would parents in Cormyr view their child becoming a paladin? And how would parents of the nobility (especially a father that was a retired Purple Dragon Knight and a mother that's a cleric of Torm) view the fact they have a son that's a paladin? Would they be upset, or is it something to be proud of and celebrate?"
Ed replies:

Well, it depends on human nature first and foremost. That is, the characters of the parents and of the child. Parents who are anti-violence and don't want their offspring to travel, or not be able to stay in touch with friends or the local community, or who hold different faiths "first" than the child wants to devote his/her life to, as a paladin, would probably be against it. Those with other views will have more positive reactions.
In the specific example you give, the father (unless he personally had bad experiences in the past with paladins, plural) would almost certainly be proud of the son's choice. Most PDKs believe that good lives for people come through armed vigilance establishing, maintaining, and respecting law and order . . . and a paladin is seen as the ultimate vigilant warrior. Again, a PDK who encountered only fanatical, close-minded, "do anything to achieve the goal" paladins would be wary, but most PDKs encounter paladins who are wise, just, and open-minded (i.e. fully aware of the responsibilities as well as the power of being judge, jury, and executioner, and ready to observe conditions and individuals first, and ride right in and carve up evil second...so they can be absolutely certain that their own actions will ultimately be for the best).
As for the mother, her reaction will depend very much on whether or not her son wants to be a paladin of Torm or an allied god. She would have a hard time continuing a close and loving relationship with a dedicated servant of a dramatically opposed deity. Otherwise, she, too would tend to be proud. She might weep in private for fear of his hastened death and almost certain suffering, but like her husband would consider it "an honourable road in life" and be proud her son was "one of the few, the forthright few" to take it up.
If the parents considered their son hot-tempered, headstrong, or intolerant, they might have grave misgivings, though ("Agh. He's just the sort to want to be a paladin - - and to make a bad one!").
Also, both of the specific sorts of parents you mention would take a VERY dim view of a son who (even in earnest) announced his intention to become a paladin to "skip out" of a marriage or even a formally-promised, not-yet-consummated marriage, or run from debts or other major obligations. They might even try to insist that these entanglements be resolved first, if necessary by contacting priests of the faith to insist on it as part of becoming a paladin.
So nothing's necessarily simple, here.
However, in Cormyr seeking paladinhood is a career choice that is respected as well as feared, and is considered a life and status to be proud of and celebrated more widely than just by doting parents.
I hope all of this helps.

So saith Ed. Creator of Cormyr and Torm and the Purple Dragons, too!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  22:33:19  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
Ok, thank you! And Joran had none of the mentioned situations come up in his life, believe me. Joran for the longest time took a view on becoming a Holy Champion like his mother, but found that the life that his father led also called to him. Joran's father wanted him to follow in the footsteps that he'd made and become a Purple Dragon Knight, but at the same time didn't want to let his mother down, either. Then, a dream came to him and opened his eyes, showing him a holy path of service to Torm, as well as the honorable path of the knight, blended into a holy union in that of the paladin, something Joran himself had never truly considered. Following the path of the Holy Knight, Joran found true meaning and purpose in his life, and was able to help others as he'd never before been able to, or would have been able to had he dedicated himself to one of the two paths he'd seen before. That was basically the story I came up with when I originally made the character, who was my first D&D character ever. He still remains my absolute favorite, with only a couple up there near him.

Again, thank you, and I really do appreciate that both of you took the time to answer my question.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2010 :  01:54:57  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I'm wondering how deaf-born children are taught to communicate across the races, how do elves deal with a child being deaf and mute children. Other than written communication of course and lip reading.

Do orcs and more barbaric and/or evil races relegate such disabled male to menial labor or slay him outright upon learning of disability? Does sire lose status, say if father/mother is leader, warlord, king and so on.

What do giants and other such races do in these situations?

Can dragons and other magical creatures be born deaf and mute or blind for that matter or does innate magic negate such a things?

If sign language is used for such cases I assume its different dependent on race, meaning a deaf and mute elf would not be able to communicate easily with a deaf and mute human from the Heartlands. NOW would a deaf and mute man from Heartlands have same sign language as man from Calimshan?

Lastly, will magic change such conditions a person is born with, I assume healing magic returns subject to their original born state, not a template of what their 'race/gender' is supposed to be, yes? So short of a Wish or Miracle spell, heal and regenerate just restore the status quo not improve birth defects. I recall somewhere you wrote that certain injuries and lost limbs can't be restored if too much time has passed. Also that taking too many healing potions back to back is harmful, what exactly happens from healing overdose?

I have more but I'll wait for response, THanks!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2010 :  02:42:47  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Toril

* 24 time zones

Well it is not likely anymore then Greenwich is more magical then any other place on Earth. One should remember that the Prime Meridian is only a reference point accepted by civilized world. The line is not just Myth Drannor but all places North and South of Myth Drannor.
The odds are that the world (or designers) decided to use Myth Drannor as 0 degree because of its importance at the time the system was agreed to.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

braunusvald
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2010 :  04:33:07  Show Profile  Visit braunusvald's Homepage Send braunusvald a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:

quote:

Toril

* 24 time zones

Well it is not likely anymore then Greenwich is more magical then any other place on Earth. One should remember that the Prime Meridian is only a reference point accepted by civilized world. The line is not just Myth Drannor but all places North and South of Myth Drannor.
The odds are that the world (or designers) decided to use Myth Drannor as 0 degree because of its importance at the time the system was agreed to.

It's not surprising that the prime med. is listed as Myth Drannor(in game terms) being that the Elves are the most world traveled, and ego-centric races tend to spot themselves at the center of all things :) (after all thats what the british did). But for house rules I used an example of Elizabeth Haydons' Rhapsody series, and gave the prime med an aspect of the Time domain, raising its importance and its potential
Just a thought - I don't have many and they usually hurt

Could a Kercpa swing a Rod of lordly Might? All hail the mighty rodent!
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2010 :  18:39:48  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Interesting ideas. I have to think about that. Meanwhile, a few more questions. Perhaps better directed towards Steven, but he hasn't answered me yet, and sicne it deals with Mystra and Myrjala, maybe Ed's just as good:
In Blackstaff, Myaaklyr's Fourth Sermon from Myrjala to the Arathenes is quoted. Who was Myaaklyr, when did he give this sermon, and who are the Arathenes? I thought perhaps it meant people of Athalantar, but that doesn't seem right... And what does it mean that "Mystra sees and Mystra knows, every trouble found in her work, an oblation on the altar of stars"? How is a trouble in her work an offering (oblation=offering)?
Lastly, in Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves, an artifact called Myrjala's Eye is mentioned. "In short, the Myrjala's Eyes portrait allows near-direct communion with Mystra, as if one were more a priest than a wizard; should a priest of Mystra pray under the gaze of Myrjala's Eyes, there is a +10% bonus chance that Mystra herself will speak to the priest (or 2% chance to any mage) briefly."
Assuming this artifact survived the Fall (and since it was in Windsong Tower, I think that's quite reasonable), what would have hapened to it? Where could one find it? Would it still work after the Time of Troubles, when Mystra who was Myrjala no longer existed? And what would happen to it after the Spellplague?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  00:23:30  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by createvmind
Lastly, will magic change such conditions a person is born with, I assume healing magic returns subject to their original born state, not a template of what their 'race/gender' is supposed to be, yes? So short of a Wish or Miracle spell, heal and regenerate just restore the status quo not improve birth defects. I recall somewhere you wrote that certain injuries and lost limbs can't be restored if too much time has passed. Also that taking too many healing potions back to back is harmful, what exactly happens from healing overdose?

Very interesting questions there, it will be interesting to see how Ed responds... But I do have a comment about magic - there is a clerical spell in 3rd Ed at least that is pretty much called Cure Blindness/Deafness. I assume it is capable of healing conditions a person is born with or later acquires naturally, as well as magically inflicted blindness/deafness. After all, many spells clerics can cast in D&D are based on miracles performed by mythological figures of Earth (no disrespect intended towards followers of current Religious figures who are also said to have performed such miracles), which did include curing the blind (including those blind from birth), spontaneously curing diseases, and bringing people back from the dead.

It would be a poor God/dess indeed who couldn't perform such miracles through their priests.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000