Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 2E Helments
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fizilbert
Learned Scribe

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2009 :  12:02:18  Show Profile  Visit Fizilbert's Homepage Send Fizilbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok here is a question my players stumped me on last week. In the 2E PHB they list two types of helmets you can purchase separately; a great helm and a basinet. However, no where do they mention what benefits having a helmet may have. I thought I remember reading somewhere that the helmet just protected against called head-shots but I cannot seem to find any reference to that, or to anything else a helmet may do.

Do they have a purpose or are they just something a player wastes gold on?

Fiz
Level 10 Vice-president
World of Elethril

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2009 :  13:00:06  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think there is information in the 2E book Player's Option: Combat and Tactics (with ACs for certain body parts for called shots - something like -4 on To Hit roll on called shot but a bigger than 4 AC difference on an unhelmeted head rather than a un-called shot on Full Plate armor on the same person. This is going wayyyy back for me though so I could be wrong on a few counts.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2009 :  15:01:57  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure about Combat and Tactics, but I do know there is exactly that passage in the Complete Fighter's Handbook. Helmets don't do a whole lot unless they're magical, but if you use the called shot rules anyone with scale mail armor or better would be well advised to wear one.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Fizilbert
Learned Scribe

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2009 :  15:36:57  Show Profile  Visit Fizilbert's Homepage Send Fizilbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, I have both of those books so I'll go browsing through them to take a look. As I said, I thought I remember reading somewhere about that, but I couldn't remember where.

Fiz
Level 10 Vice-president
World of Elethril
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2009 :  16:22:10  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Helmets protect you against things falling on your head. People in full-face helms tend to avoid facial injury and scarring. Just judge it case by case -- you don't need hard rules for something to have a purpose and presence in your games.
Go to Top of Page

Artemel
Learned Scribe

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2009 :  14:26:53  Show Profile  Visit Artemel's Homepage Send Artemel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two things for the different styles of helmets (there are more than 2 in the Complete Fighters Handbook, if I recall correctly).

One: The helmet's AC is used versus called shots to the head. (The penalty is extreme to hit, but if you are bare-headed versus awesome full plate armor...)

Two: Penalties to spotting and listening and such. I do forget the exact rules for this, but the better helmets restrict vision and hearing.

So, it's a trade-off of protection versus alertness. Virtually all my fighters wore a cap and coif all the time, with a full helm to be placed over top under severe conditions. I never did great helms... the dang thing has to have integral shoulder mounts it is so heavy. >_<

[edited for typo... must remember to spell check]

Edited by - Artemel on 14 Dec 2009 01:18:37
Go to Top of Page

Fizilbert
Learned Scribe

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2009 :  00:29:11  Show Profile  Visit Fizilbert's Homepage Send Fizilbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info. I still have to find my books. Those particular ones are in storage.

Fiz
Level 10 Vice-president
World of Elethril
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000