Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Frustrations on Erevis Cale trilogy (Spoilers)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hordak
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2009 :  14:44:56  Show Profile  Visit Hordak's Homepage Send Hordak a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just finished the Erevis Cale trilogy.

I liked the development of Erevis Cale and Riven. And I really liked Magadon.

But I got really tired of reading after the second book, because it stopped being exciting. The fact that I knew Azrim and Dolgan would get away no matter how closed they were to being killed just got boring. I mean they battled and escaped like 7 times!
It didn't work for me at all and I got really disapointed.
It felt like Paul S kemp loved the two villans so much he couldn't kill them. Every time I read teleportationrod I was screaming. Not because I was frustraded that Azrim and Dolgan got away, but because it was the same pattern every time.

Am I alone on this or did anyone else have the same issue?

You're so dull

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2009 :  17:19:36  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No you aren't the only one who had that particular problem, though I managed without the screaming. I stopped after the second from a bad case of ennui and never felt the need to pick up the last one. Don't get me wrong, I liked the books up until I stopped, but I didn't feel the need to continue watching the downwards slide of all the characters.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2009 :  20:48:19  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well my friend, I'm afraid the ending will surprise you. I think that's where Kemp wanted you - how the hell do we catch these guys?

Well...there's an answer. A thumping good one.

In other words, I highly recommend you finish. It's not pretty.

:)

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2009 :  02:04:47  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hordak
Am I alone on this or did anyone else have the same issue?

Interesting you felt this way. I can understand it in case of Dolgan, but I always felt that the final showdown with Azrim will not happen before the end of the trilogy, so it did not bother me.

For me it has been by far the best FR series I have read, but it is only normal that opinions on this vary among readers. Anyways, I recommend finishing the series, Kemp always puts lots of surprises in his final books.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Hordak
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2009 :  09:46:01  Show Profile  Visit Hordak's Homepage Send Hordak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your response.

Well I did finish it and while there where some great things in the book, this still bothered me to no end.

I read the Twilight wars and those were some great book! So I am not saying Kemp is a bad writer, but as I read

the Twilight wars first, these were a bit of a disapointment.

You're so dull
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2009 :  22:22:16  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i havent read twilight war yet but i actually enjoyed shadows witness more than any of the cale trilogy.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Thielan
Acolyte

Australia
25 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2009 :  10:16:52  Show Profile  Visit Thielan's Homepage Send Thielan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that the Twilight War was probably better, but I think Paul S Kemp's writing style improved over that time. But despite that, the Erevis Cale trilogy were far from bad books, and the character development for Cale and Riven set up well for the Twilight War.
Go to Top of Page

Hordak
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2009 :  21:45:57  Show Profile  Visit Hordak's Homepage Send Hordak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thielan

I agree that the Twilight War was probably better, but I think Paul S Kemp's writing style improved over that time. But despite that, the Erevis Cale trilogy were far from bad books, and the character development for Cale and Riven set up well for the Twilight War.

I agree! They were set up very well for the Twilight Wars, so was Magadon though I felt he wasted it a bit (I really liked Magadon in the Erevis Cale trilogy).
Thing is that there were some great scenes and great character development in the trilogy, but the combat scenes with Dolgan and Azrim felt like the same after their second clash and that left about five clashes were the outcome was predictable each time. IMO
The most exciting character, to me, in the Twilight wars, was Abelar(sp?)
His story had me going! They are many we are few!

You're so dull
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2009 :  04:19:47  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I agree! They were set up very well for the Twilight Wars, so was Magadon though I felt he wasted it a bit (I really liked Magadon in the Erevis Cale trilogy).
Thing is that there were some great scenes and great character development in the trilogy, but the combat scenes with Dolgan and Azrim felt like the same after their second clash and that left about five clashes were the outcome was predictable each time. IMO

Really? I always felt like Cale's group was chipping away at the Slaadi group slowly and I never got bored.

First Elura(And Vraggen dies by another's hand), then Serrin, leaving Azrrim and Dolgan for the big showdown, as well as of course, the Sojourner. An Elminster epic level psionicist/Wizard.

Whoever said they stopped after the first 2 books in the trilogy really sells themselves short. Midnight's Mask is one of my favorite realms books period.
Go to Top of Page

Thielan
Acolyte

Australia
25 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2009 :  02:14:43  Show Profile  Visit Thielan's Homepage Send Thielan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Really? I always felt like Cale's group was chipping away at the Slaadi group slowly and I never got bored.

First Elura(And Vraggen dies by another's hand), then Serrin, leaving Azrrim and Dolgan for the big showdown, as well as of course, the Sojourner. An Elminster epic level psionicist/Wizard.

Whoever said they stopped after the first 2 books in the trilogy really sells themselves short. Midnight's Mask is one of my favorite realms books period.

To be honest, I loved Midnight's Mask, and the final scenes as still some of my favourites from any book, but I thought that taken as a whole, the Twilight War eclipsed the Erevis Cale trilogy, and the conclusion was even better. But that's just a personal opinion, and I woud still highly recommend the original trilogy, and definitely to read it before the Twilight war.
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2009 :  10:36:27  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
any word on a new trilogy from paul kemp cale or otherwise?

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2009 :  16:17:37  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup. Godborn - book one of the Cycle of Night. Check out his blog for the intro sample.

CAN'T. FRIGGING. WAIT.

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2009 :  01:41:28  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

any word on a new trilogy from paul kemp cale or otherwise?

http://paulskemp.livejournal.com/
http://pics.livejournal.com/paulskemp/pic/0000xzbk

Second Article down has the new cover art for Godborn, which will follow Vasen Coriver. Cale's son apparently(I like that varra named him after Cale's true name), whom Mask stored some of his divine power within while he was still in the womb before sending him to the future.

Christ does he ever look cool in the cover.
Go to Top of Page

Hordak
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2009 :  05:43:06  Show Profile  Visit Hordak's Homepage Send Hordak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

quote:

quote:

Good sir, I did read all three books, I just stated that the excitement wasn't there after the second book, for when they clashed with Azrim and Dolgan, because the outcome was the same each time. Imo
But I did like the books and think they had a lot of great scenes in them. I guess that was why I was so frustrated with the lack of progress for the good guys.
Ofcourse a lot comes down to taste and the way the story went wasn't my favorite.

You're so dull
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2009 :  16:21:02  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly I didn't find the way how the story developed in both trilogies very exciting and stopped after Shadowstorm. The basic ideas were great, for example the old gith, Mags, some aspects of Riven's personality and the place where was the first chosen of Mask.

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Dantrag
Learned Scribe

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2009 :  20:45:03  Show Profile  Visit Dantrag's Homepage Send Dantrag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far(though i haven't finished it) Shadow realm is shaping up nicely. Keeps you guessing and i have no idea what is going to happen

" The truth comes out only in bold and underlined"
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2009 :  16:02:47  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
truly loved all of the novels featuring Cale and crew.
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2009 :  21:57:59  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

truly loved all of the novels featuring Cale and crew.

I have to agree. Cale is my favorite Realms character of all time so far.

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

draethe
Acolyte

Australia
12 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2009 :  02:28:49  Show Profile  Visit draethe's Homepage Send draethe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The twilight war series was better than the first trilogy in my opinion. But that doesnt mean i found the erevis trilogy disappointing. I think the plot and characters just developed really well from one to the next. I would rate kemp as the finest writer in the realms at the moment. His style just really works for me. Cant wait to see where he gos in the next series.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2009 :  02:53:14  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

Yup. Godborn - book one of the Cycle of Night. Check out his blog for the intro sample.

CAN'T. FRIGGING. WAIT.

Yeah. Looks like. I'M. DIS. APPOINTED.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2009 :  22:31:55  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by draethe

The twilight war series was better than the first trilogy in my opinion. But that doesnt mean i found the erevis trilogy disappointing. I think the plot and characters just developed really well from one to the next. I would rate kemp as the finest writer in the realms at the moment. His style just really works for me. Cant wait to see where he gos in the next series.

sorry to have to tellyou then that Kemp has severed ties with the realms and the new trilogy is DOA

There is a scroll around here explainin it, but I don't have time to link it here.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2009 :  01:04:47  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here it is : http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13034

Sad news indeed, but Paul said it was amicable, so that's theway it goes sometimes.

Although I really wish I had read the exerpt , does anyone happen to have it?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

draethe
Acolyte

Australia
12 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2009 :  02:53:51  Show Profile  Visit draethe's Homepage Send draethe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im so disappointed to hear this news it would have been an awesome series. This series and reclamation were the books i was most looking forward to in the realms and both have been canned.
Go to Top of Page

MrsDrasek
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2009 :  01:43:20  Show Profile  Visit MrsDrasek's Homepage Send MrsDrasek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too am a little beside myself as I was also looking forward to the series as well. Paul has always been my favorite author in the realms It will take some time for me to get over the shock. However I loved all of the books thus far, and I only have one left to finish.

Part Well...Regret Nothing
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000