Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 threat from the sea
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2009 :  16:33:52  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
just got an email from amazon about this coming out on monday in the uk.its the combined trilogy in one book.great for me as ive held off gettin this trilogy due to the price of under fallen stars.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2009 :  17:22:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I just stumbled across a reference to the omnibus version, myself. And while it is good to see older trilogies like that one come back into print, it's a bit surprising, for me. I would have expected some other trilogies to get reprinted long before this one. I've long been under the impression that this trilogy wasn't all that popular, and I've not seen many people that love it the way some other trilogies are loved.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2009 :  17:51:41  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Yeah, I just stumbled across a reference to the omnibus version, myself. And while it is good to see older trilogies like that one come back into print, it's a bit surprising, for me. I would have expected some other trilogies to get reprinted long before this one. I've long been under the impression that this trilogy wasn't all that popular, and I've not seen many people that love it the way some other trilogies are loved.

I found the events of the trilogy interesting, but I think the thing that made me dislike it was that the main character had such a baaaad case of angst. He was worse than Drizzt "I pity myself forevah" Do'urden's ever been. Quite a feat...

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  08:31:32  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is a strange choice. I would think that there were others that would be more natural to republish. I must admit that I cant remmember anything from this series, except a couple of names and a whole lot of Sahuagin. Still, it gives me a slight hope of seeing the Dwarven Nations for Dragonlance republished.
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  14:43:58  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

That is a strange choice. I would think that there were others that would be more natural to republish.

Well later this year they are publishing an omnibus edition of the Return of the Archwizards trilogy by Troy Denning. I am quite looking forward to that one.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  15:46:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DragonReader

quote:

That is a strange choice. I would think that there were others that would be more natural to republish.

Well later this year they are publishing an omnibus edition of the Return of the Archwizards trilogy by Troy Denning. I am quite looking forward to that one.

Have you read that trilogy before? That one seems to be very much hit-or-miss. It's got a number of fans, but also a number of detractors. It seems that you either love it or hate it -- there doesn't seem to be a middle ground.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  16:07:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My main issue with this trilogy revolves specifically around Mel Odom's writing. I've never been much of a fan, and I found that my enjoyment of these novels suffered as a result.

Of the subject-matter itself though, I've no issue. It's always been one of my favourite parts of the Realms.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
739 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  08:36:10  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regardless of the subject matter, I am glad that we-who-missed-it the first time round, have an opportunity to actually read some of these out of print, or hard to find, trilogies. Whether they are worth the read is of course another matter. I am keeping an eye on this omnibus, but have yet to decide on purchasing it, as I share Sage’s misgivings about the author.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Cardoc
Seeker

59 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  03:21:16  Show Profile  Visit Cardoc's Homepage Send Cardoc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, for one, loved this trilogy. I found it fairly epic in scope and it was really the second "big event" trilogy I read after the Avatar series. I have always been kind of disappointed that later novels and FR material have never made reference to TFtS, unless I missed it, which is entirely possible.
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  05:24:15  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'll be picking this up (along with Downshadow, only b/c Ed so heartily recommended it), despite the mixed reviews I've encountered. My reason for doing so is more practical, as I'm running a game in the SoFS.
As I've said here before, I don't read much Realms fiction nor do I keep up with what's being released. Is there anything else (from before the time-jump) that's being reissued for me to keep an eye out for?

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
739 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  09:08:46  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All I can say is to take a look at Wizard's Book Products page and see if something tickles your fancy. They are reprinting more trilogies as 'gift sets' and releasing them later in the year.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  13:35:30  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My brother has read this and I have yet to read it but he keeps telling me to read it, since he absolutely loved it. I saw it at the store, I have the originals, but a collector is always tempted lol

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  14:38:21  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by DragonReader

quote:

Have you read that trilogy before? That one seems to be very much hit-or-miss. It's got a number of fans, but also a number of detractors. It seems that you either love it or hate it -- there doesn't seem to be a middle ground.

i for one absolutely hated rotaw trilogy.but then ive never been a fan of troy dennings writing.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

hawkytom
Seeker

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2009 :  07:32:27  Show Profile Send hawkytom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished reading the Threat from the Sea trilogy(originals, not omnibus) along with the Realms of the Deep short stories and I thought it was pretty good. It wasn't close to being one of my favorites, but it was a solid read.

My main gripe with the story was that their were just soooo many different underwater races involved that I had trouble getting a feel for some of the scenes. I wasn't able to picture what these NUMEROUS different sea-creatures/races looked like, not much prior knowledge on the underwater realms/DnD world.

I remember reading about...Sea Elves, Merfolk, Triton, Sahuagin, Malenti, Morkoth, Locathah, Koalinth, Ixitxachitl, Baelnorn, and even a Megalodon(Iakhovas) :P

Now some of those had some vague descriptions in there that I can recall, but I was in general lost for what some those creatures looked like.

Any Lone Wolf fans? Old school gamebooks from the 80's? They are being re-released/updated, and new books 29-32 being written: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/novels/lonewolfsolo.html

Forgotten Realms BOOKS owned: ALL of them! (ebooks?...NONE! ever)
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2009 :  11:48:29  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hawkytom

I just finished reading the Threat from the Sea trilogy(originals, not omnibus) along with the Realms of the Deep short stories and I thought it was pretty good. It wasn't close to being one of my favorites, but it was a solid read.

My main gripe with the story was that their were just soooo many different underwater races involved that I had trouble getting a feel for some of the scenes. I wasn't able to picture what these NUMEROUS different sea-creatures/races looked like, not much prior knowledge on the underwater realms/DnD world.

I remember reading about...Sea Elves, Merfolk, Triton, Sahuagin, Malenti, Morkoth, Locathah, Koalinth, Ixitxachitl, Baelnorn, and even a Megalodon(Iakhovas) :P

Now some of those had some vague descriptions in there that I can recall, but I was in general lost for what some those creatures looked like.

Do what I did. Look in the Monster Manual from time to time while reading these novels

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2009 :  14:30:01  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got the omnibus awhile back.

Plan on reading it soon.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

J D Dunsany
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2009 :  15:12:05  Show Profile  Visit J D Dunsany's Homepage Send J D Dunsany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That is a strange choice. I would think that there were others that would be more natural to republish. I must admit that I cant remmember anything from this series, except a couple of names and a whole lot of Sahuagin. Still, it gives me a slight hope of seeing the Dwarven Nations for Dragonlance republished.

Threat from the Sea was the second FR trilogy I read and I enjoyed it - although I came to the conclusion that Odom's strength lay in crafting believable romances rather than writing action sequences. Do with that what you will.

I quite liked all the underwater creatures and races and I loved the paladin - easily the most grounded, likeable pally I've come across in Realms fiction. I'll probably pick up the omnibus. Does it include Realms of the Deep? There were a couple of really good stories in that collection, as I recall.

JDD

"How content that young woman looks, don't you think? How content, and yet how flammable." - Lemony Snicket, The Unauthorized Autobiography
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2009 :  20:03:53  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hawkytom

Its been to long since I read this series, but I seem to remmember that the huge amount of different races was the thing I liked about the series. The story itself never did anything for me though.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2009 :  22:09:29  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me, I really enjoyed the Threat from the Sea novels up until the end, in which it felt very rushed and anti-climatic. I was so upset that I went and sold my copies to a local used book store. I have been tempted to pick them up again, but haven't felt compelled enough to actually do so.

In opposition to Wooly, I really enjoyed the Return of the Archwizards, while there was a little bit of that could be considered out-of-character, it did not seem nearly as bad as in Tantras.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000