Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Banned spells
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Hellkeepa
Seeker

Norway
61 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2009 :  04:09:10  Show Profile  Visit Hellkeepa's Homepage Send Hellkeepa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HELLo!

Regarding the "Detect Evil" ability of paladins, our primary DM has done a quite genious thing about it; The evil NPC does not need to be involved in anything illegal, and often is in such a position that the PCs can't do anything about him without transgressing against the local laws and/or public opinion even if he was. Result being one majorly frustrated Paladin, who doesn't know what do to. :-D
Of course, spells or rings of Undetectable Alignment is also an oft-found item on those NPCs we might encounter in combat.

Happy playin'!

Dealing with 3.5 only. Refusing the reality of 4.0, and substituting it for my own.

Edited by - Hellkeepa on 19 Oct 2009 05:06:58
Go to Top of Page

Trebloc
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2009 :  15:16:08  Show Profile  Visit Trebloc's Homepage Send Trebloc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellkeepa

HELLo!

Time Stop is rather limited already, and by nixing summoning you've removed one of the only three applications of it. As quoted from the SRD:
quote:
While the time stop is in effect, other creatures are invulnerable to your attacks and spells; you cannot target such creatures with any attack or spell. A spell that affects an area and has a duration longer than the remaining duration of the time stop have their normal effects on other creatures once the time stop ends.

That means, the time limit of the spells you cast when in time stop is still running, without the spell having any effect on anyone else but you yourself. Even if the summoned monsters attack, they won't do any damage. (I'd rule that they don't get any actions until after Time Stop runs out, but the rounds would count against their limit.)

The potential for casting multiple Summon Monster 9's exists though, having either the party or the enemy at a sever disadvantage with no easy counter. That was our thoughts after it was used once. And I am sure there are quite a few deadlier combos that can be used as well.

quote:
Also, could you describe the changes to Mordenkainen's Disjunction a bit better? I'm not quite sure I understood what you've done to it, and why.

Greater Dispel Magic tops out at level 20 when you add your caster level to it when trying to dispel something. We just made Disjunction act like Dispel Magic without having the level cap of 20, allowing for Epic-level casters to be dispellable. As it is, Disjunction was way overpowered in our eyes due to how it would dispel everything without needing a single roll. And of course the obvious hard feelings it could cause when used against the party, blowing up all their items.
Go to Top of Page

Hellkeepa
Seeker

Norway
61 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2009 :  19:57:59  Show Profile  Visit Hellkeepa's Homepage Send Hellkeepa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HELLo!

But there is a roll for both the items dispelled and the spells, as per the SRD on MD:
quote:
That is, spells and spell-like effects are separated into their individual components (ending the effect as a dispel magic spell does), and each permanent magic item must make a successful Will save or be turned into a normal item.

In other words: Spells and spell like abilities are dispelled like the normal "Dispel Magic", magic items gets a will save to avoid being disjunctioned.
Removing the level cap on the dispel check, on the other hand, is something I can understand and wholly agree with. :-)

As for a means to counter the multiple SMIX in timestop: Banishment/Dismissal. Not to mention that it would drain all the level IX spells for that mage, which (barring very high int + powerful magic items) is only 4. That is 1 spell slot for Time Stop, and 3 SMIX. That's a whole lot of resources, which is quite easily countered by the use of one level 7 spell (or 3 level 5).

Just throwing my 2cp out there. ;-)

Happy playin'!

Dealing with 3.5 only. Refusing the reality of 4.0, and substituting it for my own.
Go to Top of Page

shandiris
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2009 :  12:22:54  Show Profile Send shandiris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, lots of interesting choices here. However I must say that I ussualy play in a more high powered campaign, than the most of the people here on candlekeep.

First a couple of comments on your spell choices:
Celerity line: We’re thinking about this one and we already banned the immune to daze trick, if we would scrap them we would scrap: Anticapatory Strike (Cpsi) too.

Fly: Seriously? Do you ban all flying in combat? Things that have wings/druids/other spells too? I would never approve with that one, altough the idea for a Fly skill sounds very tempting idd.

Polymorph line, including shapechange and alter self: Must definatly agree, they give a wizard a bit too much power.
Quote:
“The same for polymorph spells? Why ban the spell if a physically weak wizard/sorcerer needs to change into an ogre or something to protect himself in combat or to go undercover to explore the dungeon?”
You obviously never saw a wizard with 44 str and 35 AC on lvl 12, or with 12 bite attacks (hydra)

Wraithstrike (SC): Don’t have a problem with it, altough we don’t allow persist on spells with 1min duration or less.

Consumptive Field: Agree here, banned that too, especcially since it causes lame tactics.

Rhino’s Rush: didn’t ban it, because if you fail that charge, in which you invested so much you don’t get another one the whole combat, and you ussualy don’t have enough room for other tricks.

Irresistible Dance: If a mage has suicidal issues, he can have them (touch spell)

Explosive Runes: If you try the dispel magic trick, you should die painfully, in a corner. Other than that it’s fine.

Nerveskitter: Fine

Time Stop: IMO, exactly what a lvl 9 spell should be, very good, but against enemies of ECL 17 or higher it rarely wins the combat by itself.

Disjunction: We changed the casting time to 1 minute. And I think the person who used it in it’s old state in our game would be gutted by the other players (whether the caster is a DM or a player)

Our own bans/fixes:

Altough not directly a spell ban we’re thinking of ways of modifying the incantrix 3 ability, and divine metamagic, for the persistent spell mumbojumbo.

Contact other Plane and Astral Projection: Well not a ban, but when people use it, they don’t get the effect they want, AT ALL

Contigency Spell: (and the Craft Contigency spell feat): Ready actions that last are a lifetime are annoying, overpowered and you discuss for over a century over them, so we banned it.
Go to Top of Page

Trebloc
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2009 :  17:34:06  Show Profile  Visit Trebloc's Homepage Send Trebloc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellkeepa

HELLo!

But there is a roll for both the items dispelled and the spells, as per the SRD on MD:
quote:
That is, spells and spell-like effects are separated into their individual components (ending the effect as a dispel magic spell does), and each permanent magic item must make a successful Will save or be turned into a normal item.

In other words: Spells and spell like abilities are dispelled like the normal "Dispel Magic", magic items gets a will save to avoid being disjunctioned.

Oh, we understand that you roll for each item. With that many rolls though, something is going to get disjuncted. This is more from a fun perspective as our thoughts were either:

a - some PC could get real unlucky with the dice and lose a fair share of gear.

b - PC's reluctance to use this against the enemy due to disjuncting the loot they hope to get.

c - Royally fubaring somebodies' plans with 1 spell, either DM or PC's. Watching plans fall apart on either side is always fun, but to have it punked by a single spell probably isn't.

quote:
As for a means to counter the multiple SMIX in timestop: Banishment/Dismissal. Not to mention that it would drain all the level IX spells for that mage, which (barring very high int + powerful magic items) is only 4. That is 1 spell slot for Time Stop, and 3 SMIX. That's a whole lot of resources, which is quite easily countered by the use of one level 7 spell (or 3 level 5).

Banishment will only get 2-3 summons if you opt to use Summon9 to get you 1d4+1 Summon 7's. 6-15 elementals eating your face off is a bit harsh. Granted, Holy Word could get rid of all of those in one shot.

Or perhaps Timestop + Delayed Blast Fireball? Or Force Cage + Silence + Cloudkill?

Either way, the thoughts were that this would likely be used against the party far more often than for the party, since if the party is coming up against a caster who can do this, they've probably gone through a few lackey's first, so their resources will be drained. And they likely have to deal with this caster + some more goons.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000