Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 FR Adventure teaser...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2009 :  23:26:02  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
They put up the summary of my debut adventure with my brother Brian R. James...

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dutoc/170

I figure the summary was enough to make some hard-core FR fans drool a bit

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2009 :  23:39:53  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
arrrrggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!

And I suppose the answers to ANY questions will be withheld.

drat....grrrr....sigh

"Go ahead...Sleep in the church...the vampires can't get ya in the church" Any DM...any time.

"He's like a trained ape...without the training"
Simon after Jane trashed the Med lab
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2009 :  23:53:03  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're probably right, but I would still like to see what you would ask :D
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2009 :  00:33:58  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
?
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2009 :  00:39:17  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
?

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2009 :  00:50:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

?

quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

?

I think Capnvan might be referring to the "Elemental Chaos" bit from the adventure's synopsis.

Overall, I've been looking forward to this. I'm a particular fan of the Moonsea, so any new info on the region is always good in my Realms-book.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2009 :  00:53:07  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still not connecting the reference. Is this towards aberrations or something? (i.e. Chuthulu?)

Edit: Which I consider more Far Realm than Elemental Chaos ;)

Edited by - Matt James on 10 Sep 2009 00:55:06
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2009 :  00:57:15  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's Cthulhu, actually, and was he talking about the abolethic sovereignty bit? (Which isn't even connected to Matt/Brian's adventure.)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2009 :  00:59:24  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
err, thanks. I'm usually better at spelling master's name... err...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2009 :  01:03:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm still not connecting the reference. Is this towards aberrations or something? (i.e. Chuthulu?)

Edit: Which I consider more Far Realm than Elemental Chaos ;)

Erik has the right of it.

I initially thought Capn might have been referring to Bruce's adventure as well. But since we're talking about the Moonsea adventure instead, I made the connection between Cthulhu-esque bits and the Elemental Chaos.

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2009 :  01:04:40  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, an ancient god coming back mentioned in the same sentence as Phlan. No precedent for that in Realmslore I guess (?!?), so clearly it's Lovecraftian.

Any complaint based on speculation is going to be, y'know, the very definition of prejudice, but this is starting to get kind of pathetic.

Edited by - Christopher_Rowe on 10 Sep 2009 01:07:25
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2009 :  02:15:45  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks great.

I cant wait to see the article!

Thanks James Gang!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

769 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2009 :  07:56:08  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't realize that there were barbarian tribes in the Moonsea area any more. Are you aloud to elaborate on where they came from?
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2009 :  10:02:43  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know I'm not sure whats more evil...you teasing us with this brilliant enticement.....or the Ancient God you are about to unleash.....not the Mouldy Oldy again is it??????? Moander the Mushroom Man.........??????

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2009 :  11:45:25  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can tell you this. We are breaking new ground with old lore.
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2009 :  12:38:18  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought there were some barbarians in Thar. I can’t wait for the update to Phlan.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2009 :  12:52:22  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lovecraftian ancient god could be the Dragonking. Tyranthraxus or Moander more likely.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2009 :  12:57:35  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ho ho ho! It appear to be a great one. Old lore, eh? I love it! It´s a pity that my campaign is running far away from there, but I will wait it anyway.

And, about Cordell adventure:

Super! More of the Cthulhu-lovers rejoice!
^(;,;)^

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2009 :  12:58:02  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

They put up the summary of my debut adventure with my brother Brian R. James...

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dutoc/170

I figure the summary was enough to make some hard-core FR fans drool a bit

I didn't realise you were brothers; you learn something new everyday
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2009 :  15:29:26  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that's understandable.

And well, one might take comfort in the fact that a great deal of FR revolves around "lost gods" or, more generally, "ancient" things. One remembers that there is a whole GRAND HISTORY OF THE REALMS out there in print--a lot of those threats are just forgotten, not gone.

So no reason to assume that the word "ancient" used in FR refers to some Lovecraftian demon (it might--but the chances are only about 1 in a thousand).

Also, I've been in Brian James's house, and there are about 1000 Realms books (novels, sourcebooks, magazine articles), and not a single bit of Lovecraft.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 10 Sep 2009 15:33:40
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2009 :  15:44:45  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup. The Lovecraft things are all in my halls under the mountain.

But relax. They are all in my bookshelf - not in my bedroom (as my FR stuff).

Chosen of Yog-Sothot.... errrr... ahem.... Moradin

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2009 :  20:39:00  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm almost ready to subscribe just for this... but I won't. I faithfully purchased my newsstand copies of Dragon from issue #203 up to 359 (and tracked down back issues for #51-#202) and of Dungeon from the first issue for 3E up to the final issue (I don't have my Dungeon collection with me, so I can't give you issue numbers). When the magazines went digital, I just saw it as an attempt to force me to subscribe to magazines that I was perfectly happy to pick up at my FLGS every month like clockwork. This has nothing to do with the edition change; if Dragon and Dungeon were still being printed, I would still be buying Dragon (not sure about Dungeon at this point) at my FLGS.

Anyway, I don't mean to rant. Seriously, I'm greatly intrigued by this... if there were a way to buy D&DI content on a per-article basis, I would definitely be shelling out for this one.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2009 :  20:47:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

if there were a way to buy D&DI content on a per-article basis, I would definitely be shelling out for this one.

Ditto.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2009 :  01:07:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Anyway, I don't mean to rant. Seriously, I'm greatly intrigued by this... if there were a way to buy D&DI content on a per-article basis, I would definitely be shelling out for this one.
If I'd had a choice in the matter, I probably would've done the same. But since my DDI subscription was a birthday present, I, unfortunately, have to ignore a lot of the material put forth for both DRAGON and DUNGEON. But that's mostly because I don't usually like to use pre-made adventures. I prefer to sit for long hours, days, weeks [and, yes, sometimes even months] and generate my own. And most of the 4e rules material included in DRAGON is of little use to me because my own particular rules-set is a hodge-podge of mechanics from many different systems and editions. So, I consider the subscription wasted money for the most part, as I'm only interested in the lore articles.

However, it's times like this, with the upcoming adventure that's the subject of this particular scroll, that I'm glad I've got the subscription.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2009 :  01:17:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I prefer to sit for long hours, days, weeks [and, yes, sometimes even months] and generate my own.

Months? You can get something done that quickly?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

769 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2009 :  05:59:45  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

New ground with old lore huh? I do remember some old lore saying that that area was roamed by barbarians in the days of Netheril.....me thinks. Hmmm, should be very interesting indeed.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000