Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Shadow Weave Magic (feat)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2009 :  17:54:37  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello dear scribes

This question is more about game mechanics than actual Realms Lore. According to the feat Shadow Weave Magic (PGtF p.43), a mage using this feat has his effective caster level lowered by 1 for evocation and transmutation spells. Does this penalty apply to the level required to cast new spells? For example could a 7th wizard still cast stoneskin, effectively absorbing up to 60 damage instead of 70?

Thanks alot.

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2009 :  18:27:46  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always interpreted it that while you can *learn* spells normally, all mechanical/numerical effects are based on your lowered caster level, regardless of whether it would ordinarily be sufficient to cast the spell.

For instance, a 5th level wizard with shadow weave magic casts a fireball (evocation) that inflicts 4d6 damage (5th level - 1 caster level penalty = 4). He can still know and cast the spell however--it's only the effect that's diminished.

I use the opposite logic of caster level bonuses. For instance, if you had an effect that said your caster level is increased by 1 for certain spells (like the Chaos domain power: +1 CL for chaos spells), that doesn't necessarily give you access to the next higher level of spells.

A 16th level wizard/archmage with the class feature +1 CL for all spells does not get 9th level spells, for instance. His numerical spell effects are just calculated as though he were a 17th level caster, rather than 16th. His spell slots remain unchanged.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2009 :  20:22:17  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Mr. de Bie. It the part that says that 1rst level wizards with this feat cannot cast spells from these schools at all that made me hesitate (since it makes their effective caster level 0). My first guess was basicaly the same as yours.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000