Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Character Spell Choice 3.5
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

IlnystaaraDarkstar
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  02:03:50  Show Profile  Visit IlnystaaraDarkstar's Homepage Send IlnystaaraDarkstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok, so first off, i am very new to this site. like, i think this is my second post, first topic post. Anyways, i was wondering on some advice from all you knowleadgeable sages out there. What spells would you all choose for a ShadowAdept/Wiz? I play on the 3.5 edition rules.

If you could help me choose, that would be great!

if the rogue in ur party sets off a trap that ends up turning half the party to stone, one person dead, one person insane, and one person to the abyss, you have a problem

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 13 Sep 2009 01:16:22

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  22:35:43  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Selecting one's spells is a bit of a rite of passage for any player of an arcane character, and affected by your intended play style, preferences, and the role you want your character to fill in the group. Basically you should evaluate each spell on a case by case basis, and select the ones you find most promising or useful.

Beyond that, and in the absence of any other information, I can only give you general advice:

* avoid selecting low-light vision, darkvision, blur, shield, and shadow walk since your class features can eventually duplicate or emulate these spells. Although having redundant spells in your arsenal may not be a very high cost for a wizard, you are still better off choosing a larger variety of options if your access to the spellbooks of others is limited.

* focus on the Enchantment, Illusion, and Necromancy schools because they are bolstered by your Shadow Weave Magic feat. In addition your Shadow Defense class feature enables you to survive having these spells turned against you at higher levels--such as with spell turning or Mastery of Counterspelling.

* avoid the Evocation and Transmutation schools. They are less effective because of the reduced caster level AND because they cannot be affected by your Insidious Magic, Pernicious Magic, and Tenacious Magic feats (which are arguably your best class feature).

* spells with the [Light] descriptor, and spells like rend shadow weave and Mystra's miasma will be useless. Granted most people who could teach your character the latter two spells would probably slay her first, so it is a moot point.
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  16:22:43  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am fond of the Shadow Conjuration and Shadow Evocation spells on the illusion spell list, which are capable of emulating a whole slew of other lower level spells of more blasty types of mages.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  22:52:05  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pages 219-221 in the Player's Handbook II has a list of suggested spells for several base classes.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  10:22:48  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote

necromancy, illusion and enchanment.

as for what, what levels do you want and are having this char go up too??
Death ARmor
(middle) finger of death
negative energy burst
bestow curse
larloch's minor drain
vampiric touch
ghoul's touch
(the above two may go under another name)
animate dead
create undead

and those are off the top of my head for necromancy.

as for illusion and enchantment, well..... lets see what s off and wont make me go drag that book out.
hallucinary terrain
mass charm
shadow copnjuration
shadow evocantion
invisibility ( drop when imporvd invis becomes available)
silence

and that is at top.
I have to admit though, I think I use more general spells, evocation, necromancy and abjuration more that any other type.

never got into summoning spells, and the enchantment never really sunk in either.
divination and illusion, not really there either.

but whether school they are, you could look at the summon undead spells too.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2009 :  16:13:09  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could you, IlnystaaraDarkstar, or the moderator change the subject line to: "Character Spell Choice 3.5" ? Thanks.

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page

IlnystaaraDarkstar
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2009 :  22:49:17  Show Profile  Visit IlnystaaraDarkstar's Homepage Send IlnystaaraDarkstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thank you all for your input, i just found the topic i put up. i can try to change the topic name, but i have no idea how, so that would probably be better left to a moderator.

if the rogue in ur party sets off a trap that ends up turning half the party to stone, one person dead, one person insane, and one person to the abyss, you have a problem
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2009 :  01:17:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IlnystaaraDarkstar

thank you all for your input, i just found the topic i put up. i can try to change the topic name, but i have no idea how, so that would probably be better left to a moderator.

Done. I prefer not to change a topic title unless the original poster wants it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2009 :  03:38:14  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, you might want some conjuration spells in there as well, like Orb of Acid, Orb of Force, etc.. since there is no saving throw.

A couple of other fun ones...
*persistant blade (your rouge will love you because this spell can flank but it's evocation, so it won't last as long)
*hail of stone- conjuration spell that deals 5d4 dmg in a 10ft. area. No save.
*darkway- awesome utiliy spell with lots of uses.
*curse of impending blades/mass curse of impending blades- excellent spell, -2 penalty to AC (no save). The mass spell just hits multipul targets and is only 1 lvl higher.
*snake's swiftness- It's transmutation, but it doens't rely on your caster level and allows an ally 1 free attack.
*wraithstrike- situational and a Transmutation spell, but attacks for an entire round as touch attacks can't be passed up.
*icelance- good damage spell for 3rd level and it's conjuration plus it stuns.
*shadow well- it's just fun plus it's thematic.
*spell enhancer- your gonna need a boost to DC at somepoint.
*illusory pit- funny and destructive
*avasculate- reduce foe to 1/2 hp and stun and it's necromancy
*synostodweomer- a good back up for healing in case your cleric dies, falls into a shadow well, or something else.
*wrathful castigation- an OK 8th level spell

BTW, these are taken from the Spell Compendium fyi.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000