Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 War in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Saegis
Acolyte

Canada
23 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2009 :  07:18:09  Show Profile  Visit Saegis's Homepage Send Saegis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've always enjoyed the grittier side of DnD, instead of plunging players into high fantasy tales I wanted to show them the seedier side of Faerun.

With that in mind I fell upon the topic of war in the realms. From what I've read, it seems like the realms doesn't plunge into war in the 1370-1380 time period. When it does it's usually against monstrous foes, orc hordes and the like. But, I can't seem to find any mention of any Human, Dwarven or Elven wars where the "civilized" races fight each other. To me, it seems that Faerun has been in a cold war for quite some time, with the exception of Haunted Lands trilogy (still monstrous hordes, sort of).

Would there be a particularly good source describing previous wars where either side weren't of the slimy variety? Any thoughts on political tensions between city states or kingdoms that could spark into something dire?

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2009 :  13:09:04  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Add to that sporadic naval wars against the pirates of the Fallen Stars every generation or two. Going back in time a little there's Sembia/Chondath vs the elves of Cormanthor and the Rotting War that ripped Chondath apart. For more naval battles, Luskan and Ruathym have gone to war at least twice in recent memory. Dwarves have had long-standing conflicts with their human neighbors (Iron-whatsits vs Turmish back in the 1200's, High Shanatar vs Coramshan way back in the day). Halruaa has fought with Dambrath (half-elves, so they count) on more than one occasion.

How's that? Again, that's just off the top of my head. I'd check Grand History of the Realms, that'd be a good place to start for wars and then find more specific sourcebooks.

Oh, and Cormyr's civil war, that should count as well. And the war between Zhentil Keep and Hillsfar over Yulash.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Saegis
Acolyte

Canada
23 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2009 :  21:30:24  Show Profile  Visit Saegis's Homepage Send Saegis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow that's all very impressive. I always seem to learn of my own ignorance when I open my mouth.

I will have to look around for a copy of the Grand History of the Realms then. Also the possibility of war with the Zhents in a campaign would be very interesting.

Thanks once again.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2009 :  22:04:32  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're looking specifically for info on the Zhents at war, the most recent stuff would be the Last Mythal trilogy and the most recent Shadowdale adventure (the one where the dale is actually conquered).

Another, really good, place to look would be the Shadows of the Avatar trilogy. Besides being perhaps the best novels Ed's written, war features heavily in them. The first book has a dale uprising against the Zhents, and in the third, Shadowdale is the subject of a four-prong Zhent invasion led by Bane that's probably right up your alley. Tactics, move and countermove, battlefield and strategic use of magic, desperate hand-to-hand, it's got it all.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Saegis
Acolyte

Canada
23 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2009 :  22:34:55  Show Profile  Visit Saegis's Homepage Send Saegis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds fascinating. I may have to go look for that then. I've always liked the Zhents focus on espionage as well. Maybe I could tie in a pre-emptive strike by Zhentil spies before an all out war occurs.

Thanks for the info!
Go to Top of Page

bitter thorn
Learned Scribe

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2009 :  08:27:38  Show Profile  Visit bitter thorn's Homepage Send bitter thorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saegis

Wow that's all very impressive. I always seem to learn of my own ignorance when I open my mouth.

I will have to look around for a copy of the Grand History of the Realms then. Also the possibility of war with the Zhents in a campaign would be very interesting.

Thanks once again.

I highly recommend The Grand History of the Realms!

"Nobody listens to the Ranger!"

Our groups are all sticking with 3.X classic Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  07:47:03  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bitter thorn

I highly recommend The Grand History of the Realms!

I second the recommendation... even if I wasn't happy with what grew out of the last few entries.

Re: the scroll topic: There's a pretty brutal war going down in Sembia in the time frame Saegis mentions. I'm still looking for the novel trilogy, but I already know what's going to happen politically in the area post-war in my Realms; Sembia falls apart economically after draining its coffers to hire mercenaries to fight its war, and Cormyr annexes the entire realm rather than see it fall into chaos and anarchy, a move welcomed by the people of Saerloon, Selgaunt, Yhaunn, and the other cities of the region.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  19:33:42  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You have the ogre magi led Sythillisian Empire which has one faction of human Cyricist and the pirates on their side against Amn and their own faction of Cyricist along with the Selunites.

You have the hostilities that still exist along the Amn/Tethyr border between those two countries due to the Riatvin and the other town defecting from Amn to Tethyr.

You have the Banite army in Mintar on the Lake of Steam that took over the Tethyrian town of Kzelter and are building up forces to push farther into Tethyr opposed by the Tethyrian forces building up in Ithal Pass to prevent them from going any further or even trying to take back Kzelter and/or Mintar.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  01:19:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Saegis, you may find this scroll to be of some interest.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  02:49:33  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Thayan Civil War started in 1375DR.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 19 Aug 2009 03:31:53
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  03:12:05  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
although not recent, the tuigan invasion was between two (mostly) human armies

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

goatunit
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2009 :  15:13:20  Show Profile  Visit goatunit's Homepage Send goatunit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That Shadowdale adventure was a big hit with my players. I worked it into a larger campaign with our own villain, and it worked very well. The rules for getting the Dalesmen to rise up in revolt were really nice and could easily be transplanted to any similar adventure.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000