Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Where do I find a Spaniard? or a German?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  17:48:06  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok, so we've already discussed that Phlan/Pool of Radiance, etc was dropped into the realms and as such is very much disjointed. I'm trying to reconcile SOME of it, as best I can.

I'll also ask that the authors are only giving 3 sentence descriptions of council members, why not just give 10 council members? Then again, on one page it tells you one guy is in charge of the council and on the next page it's a different guy, entirely.

So the listed council members, as best as I can determine are ...
1) Miles Dormans
2) Porphyrus Cadorna
3) Bishop Braccio
4) Ulrich Ebenhard
5) Werner Von Urslingen

So, based on their names alone, where are these guys from in the Realms?

Now, in my campaign, "one" of the councilmen was recently assassinated. Naturally, my PCs asked me (who was unprepared) who he was. Since I can only sort out there being 5 councilmen named, I think I'm going to add the 5 as:

6) x Kovel (with the logic that he was assassinated by the welcomers)
7) x Valjevo
8) x Podol
9) x Otavius Genheeris (who is working for T)
10) Mendacant (merchant)

I do need to figure out first names for most of them using their last name as a region reference, I guess. Anyone want to help me out?

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2009 :  16:38:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spain or Germany.

I asked Ed a question about 'Earthers' who got trapped in the Realms, but I've yet to recieve an answer.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2009 :  17:44:48  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markustay:
Rhewtani: As far as the Germans are concerned, here's what I did (for a slightly different scenario, but same idea): My two favourite PCs of my own over my 22 years of playing in the Realms (yep, I'm an Old Gray Box veteran; I was 15 when it came out, if I have the release year correct) are a pair of brothers named Siegfried and Siegmund (I was reading a lot of Germanic myth at the time) von Wolfenstein (the surname came from a certain old computer game for the Apple II). I explained their surname by their Uthgardt ancestry (they are descended from an exile from the Gray Wolf tribe by the name of Wulfstan, or "stone wolf" in Old English) and their given names fit well with my take on the Ruathym people, from whom they are also descended. My own ancestry is heavily Norse, so I can't imagine a world without some such culture.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2009 :  21:10:39  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rhewtani, I've barely looked at FRC1 since I ran it long ago, but all things being equal, you might decide that the Germanic names (northern) indicate Moonsea natives and map Italian ones (further south in the same continent) to Sembia, and maybe English ones to the Dales or Cormyr, but as you know there's no pseudo-Spain or pseudo-Germany in Faerūn, and you'd do better to rely more on your own invention and any clues to be found in the Pools novels (which I've not read). If I was to run the module again, I'd replace most of the character names with Realms ones, using EBoN as a help, keeping the same initials.
Go to Top of Page

Calmar
Acolyte

49 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2009 :  13:52:51  Show Profile Send Calmar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Turmish names always seemed a bit Italian in style to me.
Go to Top of Page

goatunit
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2009 :  15:09:45  Show Profile  Visit goatunit's Homepage Send goatunit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know what the official position is, but in my game I've always equated Cormyr with France and Sembia with Spain. The various Germanic nations are tough, though. Much of the North reminds me of Pre-Christian Germans like the Gauls and Cherusci, but names like Werner come later than that...

I could see Zhentil Keep baddies erecting a Reich, I guess. Though I kind of see the Moonsea as a bit Finnish. Plus, the Zhents could just as easily get moose unt squirrel with thick ruskie accents.

Tough call. Mulhorand? Thay maybe?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000