Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Candlekeep Gen Con Adventure
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2009 :  14:52:26  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I need to know who wants in on this, and more importantly, when we want to play. If there is a big enough interest, we can get another table going. I expect this adventure to take no more than 2.5 hours depending on how the players want to go (we can go longer if people want to!). It's designed to introduce people to the Edificant Library or provide some old fun information for the veteran crowd. I know time at the convention is precious so it has been purposefully created this way. But most of all, it is a means to get around a table with fellow scribes and play the game.

Right now here is what I am seeing and even this could be wrong ;)

Dungeon Master: Matt James
Player #1: Brian R. James
Player #2: Erik Scott De Bie
Player #3: Christopher Rowe
Player #4: Garen Thal
Player #5:
Player #6:

I can squeeze in a 7th player without it being too drawn out but I would prefer to keep it to 6.

I spoke with Christopher already and I will pigeon hold my brother ;) I need Erik to confirm and I need to fill the last several spots.

If The Hooded One wants to bug Ed into playing, I would scream like a little school girl

Edited by - Matt James on 30 Jul 2009 15:12:48

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2009 :  15:04:35  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aww, what the Hell? Count me in.
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2009 :  15:13:03  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sweet :)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2009 :  15:21:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be there in ethereal form... hovering over the table.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2009 :  15:36:20  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sure you don't want to play? ;)
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2009 :  15:36:26  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to make a Perception check to see if I can see the Sage, please.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2009 :  15:38:17  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

I'd like to make a Perception check to see if I can see the Sage, please.
And I'd like to make an Insight check to see if anything's wrong with Christopher for seeing things...
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2009 :  15:43:56  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any chance of me getting the adventure to convert to Pathfinder rules and run it? Anyone still interested in a Pathfinder version?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2009 :  15:44:14  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Christopher (I will call you this until you tell me otherwise), you notice that there is a man hovering over the table. Beyond this, you are unsure.

Garen, you get the sense that Christopher is not trying hard enough

:p
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2009 :  15:52:22  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ashe, I don't have anything formal to give you at this point. I wanted a completed adventure but I am unsure if it will be more than a collection of notes for various encounters. Recent WotC projects consumed all free time lately. I will try to have something ready but Gen Con is fast approaching :(
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2009 :  16:24:16  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No problem, Matt. I can understand.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2009 :  16:53:45  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are we "calling" classes? Or can everyone bring whatever characters they like?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2009 :  17:00:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

Sure you don't want to play? ;)

I'd love to. But, unfortunately, I've only got one scheduled break period from work this year. And I'm spending that time with my family and heading over to Egypt. Hopefully.

So no Gen Con for me this year.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

515 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2009 :  17:08:15  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now I really wish I was going.

Would you mind posting a summary of the quest online, I would love to see it. I would have loved just to have been a quiet spectator.

Maybe next year?

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2009 :  18:25:45  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I need Erik to confirm and I need to fill the last several spots.

Count me in. I'm still an advocate for Friday night, but my only hard conflicts are Thursday 1-6 p.m. and Friday 11 a.m.-1 p.m.

quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

Are we "calling" classes? Or can everyone bring whatever characters they like?

It's worked out pretty well for my gaming group to call party roles. I tend to prefer controllers and strikers.

Remind me of the specs? I recall discussions about both 1st level and 5th level. Any creation rules?

quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

Would you mind posting a summary of the quest online, I would love to see it. I would have loved just to have been a quiet spectator.

I volunteer to be party scribe for this purpose.

I'll take notes and write up a briefing, which will of course be passed around to the various players for editing. Eh?

quote:
If The Hooded One wants to bug Ed into playing, I would scream like a little school girl

I suspect he won't have time, but that would be totally awesome.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 30 Jul 2009 19:12:15
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2009 :  19:07:20  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In order of preference, I like controllers, leaders, strikers, then defenders--and I thought it was 6th level, so yeah, I guess we need clarification on level and creation specs!

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2009 :  19:10:45  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*sigh* I envy you guys! If only I could cast Greater Teleport to be able to join that game...

Maybe you can post a brief summary here after GenCon? Would be fun!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2009 :  19:40:00  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In order of preference, I like controllers, leaders, strikers, then defenders--and I thought it was 6th level, so yeah, I guess we need clarification on level and creation specs!

Heh! Indeed.

And to clarify, here are the points to which we need to make sure we all have the same answers:

1) Character builder: I assume we should use it?

2) Ability score generation: array, point buy, rolling?

3) Books permitted: core books, FR books, power books?

4) Level

5) Equipment--DMG standard? (three magic items: one your level +1, one your level, and one your level -1; whatever mundane equipment you want on the PHB tables; gold equal to the value of a magic item of your level -1)

quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

Maybe you can post a brief summary here after GenCon? Would be fun!

Absolutely. Though I can't guarantee it'll be brief . . . you ok with a long one?

As a former investigative journalist, I have a fairly good ear for remembering quotations, which translates into good jokes in a game session review.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 30 Jul 2009 20:39:40
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2009 :  20:54:51  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

1) Character builder: I assume we should use it?

Mac user here. But I've got all the books and the Compendium and I get by okay. ;)

quote:
2) Ability score generation: array, point buy, rolling?

3d6! In order! (I kid, and vote for PHB Method 1 or 2.)

quote:
3) Books permitted: core books, FR books, power books?

DDI stuff of various flavors (Dragon articles, Character Builder insider content, etc)?

quote:
5) Equipment--DMG standard? (three magic items: one your level +1, one your level, and one your level -1; whatever mundane equipment you want on the PHB tables; gold equal to the value of a magic item of your level -1)

And, my two additions:

6) Assuming the answer to #5 is yes, can we use the extra gold to buy whatever we want from a legal source?

7) Should we choose a "background" (in the "small mechanical advantage" sense of the word)?

Might be easiest--and I think somebody suggested this at some point--to just go with a combination of the RPGA character creation guide for legal sources and DMG p. 143 for leveling stuff. That way we're all doing the same thing.

Cheers,

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2009 :  21:08:48  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

6) Assuming the answer to #5 is yes, can we use the extra gold to buy whatever we want from a legal source?

Usually, yes. The character isn't expected to have that much cash on hand, but rather that much equivalent in equipment (magical or otherwise). At least, that's how I interpret it.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2009 :  23:23:23  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the late reply.

Character Creation Rules----

Character Level: 5th
Starting Equipment: As detailed in the DMG, One item Level +1, One item of your level and one item Level -1. Take basic adventuring equipment, I'm not worried about you calculating how much you spent on food or candles (though, I DO encourage you to bring candles to Candlekeep, muahahaha).

ANYTHING from the Character Builder is legal as long as you understand that a Bugbear will likely not gain entrance to the Edificant Library unless you have super-human social skills.

BONUS BENEFITS WILL BE GIVEN TO PLAYERS WHO HAVE A COHERENT CHARACTER BACKGROUND/HISTORY... yes, I give bonuses to players who develop their characters ;)

Edit to Add: I spoke to Ed briefly and he thinks his schedule will be too busy to play. Though, I will still hold hope *sniff*

Edit to Add #2: If you guys want to play higher than 5th level, just let me know. I am by no means stuck to that number. There will be a TPK regardless... err... lots of fun to go around!

Edited by - Matt James on 30 Jul 2009 23:30:04
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2009 :  23:31:41  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry for the late reply.
Not at all, my good man--not at all. You only started the thread today, after all.

quote:
I'm not worried about you calculating how much you spent on food or candles (though, I DO encourage you to bring candles to Candlekeep, muahahaha).

An open flame . . . near all those books?

Let's hope the Spellplague didn't disrupt the wards or anything . . .

quote:
ANYTHING from the Character Builder is legal as long as you understand that a Bugbear will likely not gain entrance to the Edificant Library unless you have super-human social skills.

So much for the CHA-dump stat Bugbear Fighter . . .

quote:
BONUS BENEFITS WILL BE GIVEN TO PLAYERS WHO HAVE A COHERENT CHARACTER BACKGROUND/HISTORY... yes, I give bonuses to players who develop their characters ;)

Oh ye gods, man--do you know what you've done?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2009 :  23:43:33  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Umm, have you looked at the player list, Matt?

We're going to spend the first 90 minutes handing out the character chapbooks...
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2009 :  23:45:48  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having a table of authors and game designers should be interesting, muahahahaha...
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2009 :  23:55:05  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just learned what the Character Builder is. Interesting tool!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2009 :  01:29:58  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
5th level sounds great, Matt. Do you want that coherent character background in advance? Should we post 'em here? ;)
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2009 :  01:37:12  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want to send them to me, that would be cool. I will try to compile them and whip up a short story after Gen Con depending on how your party does and what they accomplish :)

matt.james (at) loremaster.org

If not, I can collect them at the convention. It's not a big deal. Those who want to send them earlier, I may tailor some NPC interactions.

One KEY note: No character can have any previous connection to Candlekeep. You cannot know 'Bob from Accounting' nor 'Joe' who works the gate ;)

EDIT: It is looking we will do this immediately after the WotC conferences on Friday and I will try to nap who I can into the last remaining slots.

Edited by - Matt James on 31 Jul 2009 01:39:10
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2009 :  02:05:54  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
It is looking we will do this immediately after the WotC conferences on Friday and I will try to nap who I can into the last remaining slots.
Can you clarify "immediately" and "conferences," please? The FR block (Spin a Yarn and FR Seminar) run from 2 until 6, and I'm rather sure I'm going to need to eat at some point before playing for 2.5-3 hours...

Unless you're planning on attending the Dragonlance seminar from 6-8, in which case, that's fine with me (since I don't attend the ENnies, anyway).
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2009 :  06:17:00  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like you can count me out on this for a couple reasons.

Ashe are you still going to try and run one that on the side? I know a couple people who would be interested if you are. :)

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2009 :  11:39:49  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll need to check out the schedule first, Garen. But off the cuff I am aiming for Friday night after all the FR conferences (and when we eat :p). It is safe to assume all of us will be in the same room anyways so it will be easy to snatch people up.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2009 :  15:07:58  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It might make sense for the lot of us (at least those without dinner plans) to go somewhere together after the Realms bits and pow-wow.

Do you have a table, or are we just going to be looking for somewhere?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000