Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Religion for undead
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

elglanto
Acolyte

24 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2009 :  13:13:40  Show Profile  Visit elglanto's Homepage Send elglanto a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi.

First of all, I'm french so please, forgive my english.

So, i'm writting a campain in the 3.5 FR and a part of it is about the Nigth Masks who would infiltrated Baldur's Gate and try to kick the shadow thieves out of the city.

In order to to this, Phultan Hammerwhand sent a Vampire priest to the city. So, as a priest, who could be her deiti?

I got the book Libris Mortis but the god it gives are not for the FR setting.

Do you have some ideas?

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2009 :  15:27:04  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Velsharoon is my first guess. As god of necromancy he would be suitable.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2009 :  16:29:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd approach it from the other angle. Rather than a vampire who apparently becomes a priest after his/her undeath, I'd go with a priest who was turned into a vampire. I think most of the evil deities would continue to grant spells to a priest who became a vampire, assuming that priest was a loyal follower beforehand.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2009 :  16:58:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've tinkered with the idea of having Jergal still put out the love for the undead in my Realms.

Alternatively, you could consider any of the various deities of undeath/the undead in the Realms to be an aspect of the Evening Glory, from Libris Mortis. Or vice versa. And considering the "immortality through undeath" aspect of Evening Glory's portfolio, Velsharoon would probably be a convenient Realms deity choice.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 14 Jul 2009 16:59:28
Go to Top of Page

elglanto
Acolyte

24 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2009 :  18:12:55  Show Profile  Visit elglanto's Homepage Send elglanto a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, she already was a priest. That's why I was also searching some god who would fit with the Nigth Mask background.
I also htougth about doing a good priest abandonned by her god after becomming a vampire then become an Ur-priest (from complete divine).

Edit : I also think that the Ur-priest is less tasty

Edited by - elglanto on 14 Jul 2009 18:34:55
Go to Top of Page

Bane of the Harpers
Seeker

Canada
53 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2009 :  20:59:26  Show Profile Send Bane of the Harpers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually there is two evil gods who work for the Night Mask: Maks, god of thieves and Shar, goddess of Night.

For Mask, as a god of stealth and shadows, he surely appreciate what vampires could do...He probably is the most popular god within the guild anyways...

For Shar, the organization's number two is actually a priestess of Shar, member of the city's nobility. See Cloak and Dagger and Lords of Darkness for details...She could be the vampire lord behind this cleric character of yours...

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2009 :  22:23:06  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Myrkul or one of his priest might still be around. Nigh any demon lord or archdevil may aid the cult, or that of some evil deity like Bane, Beshaba, Shar or the like. Methink something has been written about the Night Masks in Cloak & Dagger as well as Lords of Darkness.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2009 :  00:54:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. Any cult of Orcus, for example.

Interestingly, you could also explore the idea that this priest is serving an alternate demihuman deity, like Kiaransalee. Since we have instances of other races worshipping outside their standard racial pantheons, it wouldn't take too much effort for you to fashion a backstory for why this is so.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2009 :  03:19:37  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I think 'Vampire Cleric', I think Shar. Velsharoon,IMO, is more a god of those who *choose* undeath (namely lichnee), whereas Shar embodies night (w/o which vamps can't live) and secrets (which a vamp in the midst of a settlement has to keep, or the villagers will learn what he is, and where his coffin is).

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2009 :  08:53:59  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i could see an argument for a Vampire cleric (which in no way himself choosing it) going for Kelemvor or Selune ... its not that long ago Ed noted that Kelemvor have nothing against undeads, that didn't choose to become undead, but was forced into it one way or another ... and Selune allready have the more commonly questionable groups as Lycantropes under her wing as to not give them over to Malar

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2009 :  11:59:45  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But only nonevil lycanthropes. The cleric in question has to be nonevil, too, otherwise Shar would be the way to go.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2009 :  16:22:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seriously, in The Realms, if you can think of an interesting enough back-story, anything is possible.

If it can have Undead druids, then I would say pick a god and just go for it. If the Forgotten Realms are known for any one 'flavor', then it would be that all things are possible.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Jul 2009 14:23:37
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2009 :  20:30:44  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elglanto

Hi.

First of all, I'm french so please, forgive my english.

So, i'm writting a campain in the 3.5 FR and a part of it is about the Nigth Masks who would infiltrated Baldur's Gate and try to kick the shadow thieves out of the city.

In order to to this, Phultan Hammerwhand sent a Vampire priest to the city. So, as a priest, who could be her deiti?

I got the book Libris Mortis but the god it gives are not for the FR setting.

Do you have some ideas?

First of all, your English is damned-near perfect.

Secondly, like a lot of my fellows here, I suggest you merely pick whichever deity is closest to his personality, regardless of whether or not it 'fits'. This will make the situation infinitely more interesting, and leave everyone wondering: is that vampire REALLY casting spells granted by Mystra? How is this even possible?

And then...as I am an evil DM, I would never explain it to them. Leave them scratching their heads.

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

elglanto
Acolyte

24 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2009 :  20:46:47  Show Profile  Visit elglanto's Homepage Send elglanto a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm starting to focus on Shar as her deiti. Mask is also really nice but I got a question about this : one of my player will be priest of Mask so are two priests of the same deiti allowed to figth each other?
I know the two churches of cyric are in "war" but is because cyriic is kind of crasy and let them figth.
Go to Top of Page

Bane of the Harpers
Seeker

Canada
53 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2009 :  21:59:10  Show Profile Send Bane of the Harpers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mask is a god of Intrigues (even though he doesnt have the portfolio anymore) so it would be plausible that two of his clerics fight each other.

Besides, we saw many times clergy members fighting each other...Following the same god does not always mean that you think alike. It could be a good rp opportunity/dilemma for your player who follows Mask...
Go to Top of Page

Grurp
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2009 :  06:29:12  Show Profile  Visit Grurp's Homepage Send Grurp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grurp!

Grurp need a mask because of his maturing Dwarven skin not impressing the Dwarven maidens anymore!

Grurp!
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2009 :  12:08:49  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grurp

Grurp!

Grurp need a mask because of his maturing Dwarven skin not impressing the Dwarven maidens anymore!

Grurp!

Riiiight...
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2009 :  14:25:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

And then...as I am an evil DM, I would never explain it to them. Leave them scratching their heads.

You give your players LICE?!

My god! You ARE an evil DM!

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2009 :  14:45:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

You give your players LICE?!

My god! You ARE an evil DM!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2009 :  15:33:41  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Deity of the undead... The Black Hand .

GL:BN joke.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2009 :  00:39:53  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Orcus

for he was once a living deity, then became an undead deity

Bloodstone Lands Sage

Edited by - coach on 18 Jul 2009 00:40:36
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2009 :  00:44:21  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
or living demon prince to undead demon prince LOL, depending on what edition

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000