Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 100% real swords and armor.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2009 :  20:05:46  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay so this might not be the right place so please moderators feel free to move me about. And this might not be completely about the realms, but it sorta fits and this seems like a great place for such a question. So I assume at least some of you out there are nerdy enough as I am to enjoy collecting, buying, owning or whatever swords and other random armaments from the past. To get to my question does anyone know anywhere that actually makes swords, shields, and armor genuine and EXACTLY as they were? because I'm tired of finding shields for example that look good on the front but then the back is all bull**** and fakey. I want quality battle ready completely acurate replicas please is that too much to ask? Maybe my standards are too high but i've been looking online and other places for like 6 years and i'm always disapointed.

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2009 :  20:28:25  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Genis

Okay so this might not be the right place so please moderators feel free to move me about. And this might not be completely about the realms, but it sorta fits and this seems like a great place for such a question. So I assume at least some of you out there are nerdy enough as I am to enjoy collecting, buying, owning or whatever swords and other random armaments from the past. To get to my question does anyone know anywhere that actually makes swords, shields, and armor genuine and EXACTLY as they were? because I'm tired of finding shields for example that look good on the front but then the back is all bull**** and fakey. I want quality battle ready completely acurate replicas please is that too much to ask? Maybe my standards are too high but i've been looking online and other places for like 6 years and i'm always disapointed.

Head to Toledo, Spain, my friend. And be prepared to pay handsomely for them.

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page

xaviera
Learned Scribe

Canada
149 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2009 :  21:14:08  Show Profile  Visit xaviera's Homepage Send xaviera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani
Last time I was in France & Spain (a loooong time ago) lots of places sold souvenir swords. They're typically cast or moulded steel with a plastic or wooden hilt. As they're not that well-made, I dont know how much abuse they'd take. You can almost certainly buy better-made stuff if you look around. In the US, try the Renaissance Faires for the same sort of thing. There are also a lot of places you can order from online - try Googling 'armory'.

Writings on Sharess: Thoughts & Prayers by Xaviera ~ High Priestess of Sharess
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2009 :  21:51:47  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaviera

quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani
Last time I was in France & Spain (a loooong time ago) lots of places sold souvenir swords. They're typically cast or moulded steel with a plastic or wooden hilt. As they're not that well-made, I dont know how much abuse they'd take. You can almost certainly buy better-made stuff if you look around. In the US, try the Renaissance Faires for the same sort of thing. There are also a lot of places you can order from online - try Googling 'armory'.

Agreed, most of what is sold in Spain is low quality tourist-oriented display only stuff. But in Toledo one can also find real armorers and sword smiths. These are true craftsmen, and their work, understandably, does not come cheap.

But I suspect you are right. The genuine article should be available in North America as well. This company looks promising, though I have not purchased anything from them myself.
http://www.armsofvalor.com/

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham

Edited by - Afetbinttuzani on 03 Jul 2009 21:52:25
Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2009 :  22:10:42  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah ive actually been to a renaissance faire and got a sword that i am really happy with but you know, renaissance faires only happen once a year depending on where you are. but yes i will agree they are a good place to find quality stuff. and yeah i know that europe probably has a lot of tourist aimed crap they are trying to sell. and yeah that website has some good looking things. swords arent necessarily as hard to find quality as like armor or shields though, i mean i HAVE occasional found what looks to be quality high carbon steel handmade etc etc swords and whatnot. but as far as a well made and functional shield i have never found one, and carbon steel armor is also easier to find but spendy as the nine hells. and leather armor, well always looks super shatty. yeah but other than going to Spain i suppose i'll settle for an occasional renaissane faire for now, which though are pretty good quality are usually overpriced.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2009 :  22:38:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why do you need a functional shield?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2009 :  23:02:52  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because the fakey cheapo ones fall apart easily.

Hell, I built a better one (steel reinforced wooden round shield) than the lame one a friend got me for my birthday one year. Occasionally, I use it for target practice (arrows & throwing knives) just to add "character" to it... but mostly it just hangs on the wall, otherwise.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2009 :  07:11:44  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not that I NEED a functional one Wooly...it's more along the lines that I want one. Why would I get a one with a false back/crappy fake arm attachments when I could get one historically accurate and functional. lol. It's the principle. And fakey cheapo ones fall apart easily. You know, if I'm going to spend money on say a spartan shield replica that is carbon steal and whatnot why would I want the back to be a 2x4 and a vinyl strap? Some of them are so close to being good, but then they go half arse on one part.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2009 :  04:08:06  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For an option in the US, there's a guy I used to fence with out in LA named Joe Caswell. He was a really, really good epeeist, possibly the best I've ever fenced, and to make a living he made replica swords using the old-fashion pattern weld process. He got out of the business because even when he was selling them for $3000-$4000 it wasn't justly compensating for his time, and now he's making knives.

Here's a link to his website, and one of the swords he made:

http://www.caswellusa.com/SuttonHooGallery.html

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Zaskar24
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2009 :  00:01:13  Show Profile  Visit Zaskar24's Homepage Send Zaskar24 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Genis,
May I suggest going and looking here. http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/ Look at the links page under Mercenary's Tailor for very good shields. Have fun.

Scott
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2009 :  03:15:43  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to sell swords and knives for a living. Couple pieces of advice:

Bud K's website (http://budk.com/Default.asp?camid=&bhcd2=1247105654)is good to find out what you want, but you'll want to find a local store to do your actual buying. Some terms to learn:

Full-tang: the blade actually extends all the way into the handle. This is a good thing. Usually more expensive.

Carbon-steel vs Stainless Steel: be prepared to shell out an extra 200-400 bucks or so for carbon, but it's worth it for long term use....just don't touch the blade if you can avoid it, as finger oil will harm it VERY quickly. It also requires some upkeep. Stainless does not (a lil WD-40 2x/year should do it), and so most swords you can buy are stainless.

Also, I ree-hee-heeally suggest you don't buy anything on the internet. LOTS of websites have a habit of playing on people's desire to own a blade, and will send you a stainless knock-off for 4x the price. Go to a local store that has quality, not quantity.

Shields are hard to come by. Do your homework.

Oh, and when you walk in, ask if the store has Paul Chen (THE best mass-produced katanas in the country). If they don't know who that is, regardless of whether you're buying samurai style blades or ancient Greek, ya walk out. They might not carry it, but they should know it. :)

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm

Edited by - Arion Elenim on 09 Jul 2009 03:18:41
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2009 :  23:29:35  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The best recommendation is to go to a ren-faire and find a someone who does custom work.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2009 :  04:02:32  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

The best recommendation is to go to a ren-faire and find a someone who does custom work.

I disagree. Ren-fest custom work is rarely worth the coin. Don't forget, they have to pay one helluva lot of rent.

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Zaskar24
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2009 :  01:01:49  Show Profile  Visit Zaskar24's Homepage Send Zaskar24 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Genis,
Ithought I would post a couple of my pieces including my buckler.

Here are my custom axe and a Viking spear from Arms & Armor as well as my Mercenary's Tailor buckler:
[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f333/Zaskar24/DSCN0191.jpg[/IMG]

Here is my Albion Next Generation Squire sword:
[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f333/Zaskar24/Squire7.jpg[/IMG]

And this is my Angus Trim blade with cutlery by Christian Fletcher:
[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f333/Zaskar24/at1423sword.jpg[/IMG]

Go to Top of Page

Calmar
Acolyte

49 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2009 :  16:37:17  Show Profile Send Calmar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know first hand that there are many middle-ages festivities where you can also find arms and armor dealers in Germany and the Czech Republic. Spain has already been said and I'm also quite certain that such stuff can be found on similar events in Poland, Italy, France and Britain, too.

Now that I think about it, you should be able to get historic weaponry in just about any country that actually used such stuff in the middle-ages. It's pretty expensive, though.

Don't know if such stuff is exported to the U.S. Maybe you won't get around a visit to the mysterious realms of the Old World...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000