Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Forgotten Realms E-books
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2009 :  02:36:40  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
It looks like some of R.A. Salvatore's books are getting ebook treatment. I came across these (and others) in Randomhouse's catalog:

The Crystal Shard: http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780786954049
Streams of Silver: http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780786954056
The Halfling's Gem: http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780786954063

Edited by - DragonReader on 13 Jun 2009 02:38:56

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2009 :  18:16:28  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love to see the old TSR novels that are out of print as an e-book!
I always prefer paper, but for the out of print stuff it would be really convenient (and probably an interesting business for WoTC as well)

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Tasker Daze
Seeker

84 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2009 :  18:17:21  Show Profile Send Tasker Daze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, goody. Yet another format for Drizzt tales. Hardcover novels, paperback novels, comic books, appearances in video games, oodles of game material... Obviously, someone thinks Drizzt is still underexposed.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2009 :  18:53:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The price for these electrons is the same as the price for the print books... Maybe it's just me, but given identical prices for something I can hold or just an electronic file, I'm going for that which I can hold.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2009 :  21:17:03  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

The price for these electrons is the same as the price for the print books... Maybe it's just me, but given identical prices for something I can hold or just an electronic file, I'm going for that which I can hold.

Really ? The same price ?
That's a bad way to develop e-books purchase! really !

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2009 :  22:51:07  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The price for these electrons is the same as the price for the print books...

Really? Hm, didn't know that...

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2009 :  23:48:30  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course, if you house burns you haven't lost your collection. And if you live in an apartment with little kids, they have a tougher time destroying your collection.

Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2009 :  01:44:58  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thatīs true...yet, you also donīt have the glorious feeling of parchment in your hands...sorry, but an e-book will never-ever be able to replace the love I have for the paper variety.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

D-brane
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2009 :  02:01:26  Show Profile  Visit D-brane's Homepage Send D-brane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tasker Daze

Oh, goody. Yet another format for Drizzt tales. Hardcover novels, paperback novels, comic books, appearances in video games, oodles of game material... Obviously, someone thinks Drizzt is still underexposed.

I whole-heartedly agree with this. Enough is enough. It's almost as annoying as the near-persistent drow/shade/shadow material that seems to crop up just about everywhere these days.

What's next? Paul Kemp's books? As if we haven't read enough of Erevis Cale? Twilight Falling is (or was?) available as a e-book for a time from the Wizards site.

Where's Ed's e-books? His Realms works - - especially those early books like Spellfire which is long out of print - - deserve similar e-book treatment I think.

Mod Edit: Watch the language please.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

Edited by - The Sage on 14 Jun 2009 02:04:21
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2009 :  04:09:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ozzalum

Of course, if you house burns you haven't lost your collection.

Unless you only had one copy, and it was on your computer.

quote:
Originally posted by Ozzalum

And if you live in an apartment with little kids, they have a tougher time destroying your collection.

Until the first time they get online and download all sorts of viruses...

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 14 Jun 2009 04:09:46
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2009 :  04:20:22  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't know. Depends on what you value more I suppose. In recent years, I've come to value the abilty to search a PDF/E-book higher than having a physical book on the shelf. In some cases I think I'd pay *more* for an electronic copy.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2009 :  07:00:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

quote:

I don't know. Depends on what you value more I suppose. In recent years, I've come to value the abilty to search a PDF/E-book higher than having a physical book on the shelf. In some cases I think I'd pay *more* for an electronic copy.

I don't mind spending money on something intangible, but I think it's quite unreasonable to spend the same amount on an electronic file as on the print copy. The print prices are dictated by production and distribution costs. Those costs are far less for electronic copies -- so the price of the electronic copy should reflect that.

I've said this before... I don't mind someone making a reasonable profit off of me. I object to someone making an unreasonable profit off of me, and I seriously object to someone making an obscene profit off of me.

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2009 :  16:46:41  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A bit off-topic, but does anyone have an e-book reader that they like? I keep looking at the various devices out there, but the price is bit steep for the Sony. The cheapest Sony reader won't hook to my Mac, which means hauling out the Windows XP laptop just for loading it.

Kindle seems too limited -- and I say this living in Seattle, heart of Amazon.com country.

Being a bus commuter, I can see the joys of having something lightweight to store the current reading in. Besides I'm always finishing a book at lunch and then having nothing to read on the way home....

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2009 :  16:58:20  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rosemary Jones

A bit off-topic, but does anyone have an e-book reader that they like? I keep looking at the various devices out there, but the price is bit steep for the Sony. The cheapest Sony reader won't hook to my Mac, which means hauling out the Windows XP laptop just for loading it.

Kindle seems too limited -- and I say this living in Seattle, heart of Amazon.com country.

Being a bus commuter, I can see the joys of having something lightweight to store the current reading in. Besides I'm always finishing a book at lunch and then having nothing to read on the way home....

I haven't looked into e-book readers because it hurts my eyes reading a large amount of text over the screen but the new Kindle that's almost as large/long as a laptop/notebook looks really interesting. Beyond that, I guess I'm not much help.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2009 :  19:56:28  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm waiting for the 4-5th generation Kindle before even considering an e-book reader. Until then, a laptop with PDF/Microsoft Reader is my e-book library...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2009 :  22:34:34  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i find the idea of ebooks completely pointless.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2009 :  23:42:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a nifty ebook reader app for the iPhone called Stanza... I like it, but thus far, I've only used it to read books from the Gutenberg Project, and only when I was bored, didn't have a book at hand, and didn't feel like playing any of the games I've downloaded to my phone.

Go to Top of Page

mnb128
Learned Scribe

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2009 :  00:17:06  Show Profile  Visit mnb128's Homepage Send mnb128 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

i find the idea of ebooks completely pointless.

Normally I would as well, but I spend hours every week on planes, in airports, and in hotels. I love having the actual book for my library, but it would make my travelling life so much easier if I could download 3 books to my iPhone instead of having to carry all of them with me.
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2009 :  10:15:14  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
im just glad books will always be relevant unlike cds,cassette dvd etc.isnt it crap feeling the need to constantly update your fave albums and films onto ever more so called practical formats.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  05:09:48  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

im just glad books will always be relevant unlike cds,cassette dvd etc.isnt it crap feeling the need to constantly update your fave albums and films onto ever more so called practical formats.

IMO, while reading material will always be relevant, the format in which that reading material is presented will be ever evolving. There may always be a need for printed format, but I feel that eventually, this will be reduced significantly. Again, IMHO. one small example.. I just bought a new Trek road bike. the owner manual was provided to me in a CD. Glad I have a computer . Additionally, I bought a bike computer for said road bike. it had minimal set up instructions in paper form and referred me to a website for the rest.

In the end, I vote for all FR materials to be presented in both paper and e-format for all of us to utilize our preferred method. I do have a sony e505 and am collecting quite a little collection so far. Not much realms-wise yet though.

Edited by - scererar on 18 Jun 2009 05:11:03
Go to Top of Page

Teloriun
Acolyte

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2009 :  11:12:28  Show Profile  Visit Teloriun's Homepage Send Teloriun a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love to see all the FR novels available in e-book format...what are the chances?

Whilst nothing compares to a 'proper book' in the hand the whole convenience thing of being able to carry one e-reader instead of a suitcase full of books when going on holiday would be great.

One thing, as has already been mentioned, that confuses me though is why an e-book costs so much when the costs behind are so much less than a printed copy?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000