Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Stupid Dwarven Names
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  19:21:27  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

And I don't resent you or any other author for writing books in the 4e Realms. After all, groceries are a remarkably pleasant thing to have.
That they are.

I should clarify that, for me at least, the *last* thing it's about is the money. I don't honestly make all that much writing in the Realms. It's because I love the Realms and--for as long as I'm able--I'm going to do my part to make them the best they can be.

And if you ever *did* feel like reading in the 4e FR . . . you know you'd be extremely welcome.

Now then--back to our regularly scheduled topic.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 15 Jun 2009 19:25:47
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  19:33:48  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Of course a "marfin" in the Realms is the dwarven name for the full-face battlemasks made popular by the dwarves of Clan Goldforge of the now-lost realm of Besilmer. Their clan champion, Marfin, blood of Agamm, son of Kheldar commissioned the first of these when he took part in his first Dragonmoot against the dread red wyrm Palarathax "the Firescourge" of Mount Norbas (located in the Sword Mountains and named for the gnome clan that inhabited it before the dragon brought death and devastation to their hold). From that time on, it became a popular cognomen among the dwarves but the passage of time and the sly insinuation of the common tongue into most dwarven converse saw the name corrupted to "Muffinhead".

Well, that's my take on it at least.
And this is why George is my hero...
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  20:29:38  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Well, that's my take on it at least.
And this is why George is my hero...
And here I thought it was just the roguish good looks . . .

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2009 :  01:15:41  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cordio Muffinhead, though... Hmmm. Maybe he was a patrol leader, who was supposed to lead a strike force to engage a raiding band of monsters in the lower mines as part of a pincer movement. He got lost, though, and his group was significantly late to the fight, letting most of the monsters get away. Thus, Muffinhead, since "He ain't got no brains in his skull, just muffins, and moldy ones at that!" Cordio was chosen just because it didn't go with Muffinhead.

I think it's funnier just to say he comes from a family of renowned muffin makers.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2009 :  01:57:23  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See, if he was a halfling, I wouldn't have any problem. We already have examples of halflings named after professions, so "Muffinhead" wouldn't be the egregious. Maybe his family is a recent immigrant from Lurien, where they went a bit too "native?"

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2009 :  02:29:07  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And I don't resent you or any other author for writing books in the 4e Realms. After all, groceries are a remarkably pleasant thing to have.

I, on the other hand, have been unemployed for over a year and a half, doing odd jobs here and there to make a little scratch... and I'll tell you, groceries are overrated when I compare them to my principles.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Runis Silverhammer
Acolyte

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2009 :  21:04:49  Show Profile  Visit Runis Silverhammer's Homepage Send Runis Silverhammer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like my dwarven name, came up with it myself too ..tee-hee!

"Gygax:The new D&D is too rule intensive. It's relegated the Dungeon Master to being an entertainer rather than master of the game. It's done away with the archetypes, focused on nothing but combat and character power, lost the group cooperative aspect, bastardized the class-based system, and resembles a comic-book superheroes game more than a fantasy RPG where a player can play any alignment desired, not just lawful good. Now, should I tell you what I really think [of it]?"
Go to Top of Page

Grurp
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2009 :  03:39:38  Show Profile  Visit Grurp's Homepage Send Grurp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about Grurp? Which he says when he enters a room.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000