Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 David Eddings passes...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2009 :  16:54:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
While not specifically Realms-related, I know many of us here are familiar with David Eddings fantasy-based works. So I was kinda surprised when I heard the news:- http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2009/06/rip-david-eddings-1931-2009/

Another of the greats has passed. Truly, the world now seems a little darker.

Rest in peace David. You've earned it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 05 Jun 2009 16:55:43

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2009 :  17:52:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And while we are on the subject of 'friends lost', David Carradine passed two days ago, tragically.

His 70's series and character - Kung Fu - is what inspired the Monk class in D&D.

They will be missed.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Jun 2009 17:53:39
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2009 :  18:36:08  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember that show.

It was good, and so was kung-fu continues one....

bot to both the families of Mr. Eddings and Mr. CArradine.
Rest in peace you have earned it.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2009 :  20:28:07  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Godspeed to both Mr. Eddings and Mr. Carradine. May they rest in peace.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2009 :  20:30:28  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What the hell? I didn't even know that Mr. Eddings was near death. His passing is truly sad.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 05 Jun 2009 20:39:52
Go to Top of Page

dragonfriend
Seeker

Italy
65 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2009 :  20:41:17  Show Profile  Visit dragonfriend's Homepage Send dragonfriend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love every words he wrote about Polgara, Balgarath and friends.

Some of the best I ever read.

rip
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2009 :  20:50:41  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I addressed both of these passings on my blog.

This is a sad, sad week.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2009 :  21:41:26  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a very sad news. The belgariad was on my top 3 fantasy series and influence a lot the way i write adventures and settings related fanon.

This spaked a desire to read the series again i think.

My sympathy goes to the family.

Pat

Dancing is like standing still, but faster.
My site: http://www.patoumonde.com
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2009 :  23:55:03  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know Ed is saddened by both deaths.

David Eddings he met only twice, briefly (plus a panel that they both had a lot of fun together on), at conventions. They had some enthusiastic discussions about fantasy writing and reading, I recall.

When David Carradine was a GenCon GoH a year or two back, the actor spent hours smoking and drinking alone at the Marriott lobby bar, which happened to be the hotel Ed was staying at.
I was told by one of the show vendors who was talking with Ed in the lobby that Ed saw Carradine, said "That man's lonely and less than happy. Excuse me," and went over and spent some time sitting and talking with Carradine. Who laughed a couple of times so hard he choked.
And cheerfully hailed Ed outside the hotel the next day.

So . . . another friend gone too soon. That may be life, but knowing so doesn't make it any less painful.
Remember, everyone, in the words of the song: "We're here for a good time, not a long time."
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2009 :  10:24:35  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read about these a couple of days ago. Sad.

I have read some Eddings, but its David Carradine that brings back good memories. The long riders is still one of my favourite movies.

Rest in peace.
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2009 :  15:30:33  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
such a shame.i wonder if leigh eddings will carry on writing.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2009 :  15:35:58  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, swifty.
Leigh Eddings died more than a year before her husband.
David's just been sort of hanging on since then, not writing. He suffered a tragedy after her death, when he mistakenly (after washing his vintage Mustang and confusing a puddle of gasoline for a puddle of water) burned down his garage, which took his writing office (built into the garage) with it - - including the original manuscripts for their bestselling collaborations (even though the Belgariad, Malloreon, et al only bore David's name, Leigh co-wrote from the beginning). Ironically, David's heart condition had made everyone expect him to die first.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2009 :  16:54:40  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awww no...

The Belgariad was one of my first fantasy series.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Amarel Derakanor
Seeker

97 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2009 :  19:30:17  Show Profile Send Amarel Derakanor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Elenium was one of the first 'fantasy' novels I read, and the Diamond Throne got me into the genre. I like them all, alot.

Such is life.
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2009 :  20:28:12  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While the Belgariad was superior Fantasy, it was the Elenium that hooked me. Sparhawk is one of my favorite characters in all of fantasy and it really is sad that another light that shone so brightly is now dimmed. The Eddings, however, have the record of their writing, and the memory and veneration of those of us who love their work.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco

Edited by - Knight of the Gate on 07 Jun 2009 20:47:01
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2009 :  04:03:04  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He'll be missed, especially in my family. It was Mr. Eddings that first really introduced me to fantasy. My father and I will now be missing one of our favorite authors, and the creator of some of our best friends...

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2009 :  19:59:18  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
how old was he?

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  00:57:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He was 77.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2009 :  00:57:10  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry about both deaths.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Misc.
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2009 :  22:59:15  Show Profile  Visit Misc.'s Homepage Send Misc. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's too bad. His Redemption of Althalus novel was the basis of an exciting campaign I ran back in the day.

Edited by - Misc. on 17 Jun 2009 23:01:13
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000